test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Should Make a New Super Hero Game

lordtyran1lordtyran1 Posts: 12 Arc User
Who agrees that Cryptic should make a new super hero game?

And not one like Champs, I'm thinking big;

Use their own story, rather than basing it off of something else.

Customisation similar to that of APB.

Maybe even user-created content in-game.

I know it's a long shot, and pretty much just a dream in my head. But come on, you guys know it'd be awesome.

Cryptic #1 for super hero games!
Post edited by lordtyran1 on

Comments

• smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    4388499439_bf4cb2c29a_z.jpg
    srsly?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't face to palm hard enough....
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you've lost your mind havent you ?
    I'd play it.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • lordtyran1lordtyran1 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For the lot of you who didn't quite gather the fact that I wasn't making a proposal I was just speculating, I'll explain it again.

"Wouldn't it be good if they made a new super hero game."

There we go, just in case you had difficulty realising what I meant.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lordtyran1 wrote: »

I think that they probably did understand your meaning.

Even so, my answer to the question is: Probably not.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited August 2013
    For the lot of you who didn't quite gather the fact that I wasn't making a proposal I was just speculating, I'll explain it again.

I understood what you meant. Would you react any differently if I said something like "Wouldn't it be great if I could hire Enron to handle my retirement fund?"

• scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2013

That would be great.

On the one condition that the "they" in that sentence are not affiliated with PWE in any way.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If it was like Neverwinter but less cash shopy and equaled Champs customization I'd play the fudge out of it.

Think about theres never been a bad Cryptic MMO. Scoffing at the idea of Cryptic doing another super MMO is a bit dumb as thats what Cryptic is famous for and I bet you before this decade is done they will have done another.

But I disagree with the OP the OWN Champs its theirs any new super MMO would most likely use this.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I know it's a long shot, and pretty much just a dream in my head. But come on, you guys know it'd be awesome.

That would be awesome! And when you end the tutorial, the first thing you see in the noobie zone is a MASSIVE statue in front of City Hall...

Wait. What?
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No , it wouldn't be neat. Because it would hurt this game.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That would be awesome! And when you end the tutorial, the first thing you see in the noobie zone is a MASSIVE statue in front of City Hall...

Wait. What?
    Yeah! They could call it... I dunno... Hero City or something like that!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No

#Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited August 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    No

mlfw2587-13279907848486.png
    edited August 2013
    On the other hand, if they were secretly working on Champions Online 2, a version where they cleaned up the code and make everything work better, I'd be tickled every color of the rainbow about that.

Cause, you know, you can only spend so long trying to untangle that extension cord before you realize it would just be more effective to buy a new one.

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    After what they apparently got in store for Everquest Next...

Yeah, I could agree with that sentiment.

Seriously, I'm beginning to find it ****-backwards that all the medieval games now got all these superheroey features in them, like fully-destructable environments and neat platformy/actiony gameplay styles.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Their 'Secret Project' is next generation superhero mmo game.
    No character customisation. F2P. Cashshop. Lockboxes.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    If it was like Neverwinter but less cash shopy and equaled Champs customization I'd play the fudge out of it.

Think about theres never been a bad Cryptic MMO. Scoffing at the idea of Cryptic doing another super MMO is a bit dumb as thats what Cryptic is famous for and I bet you before this decade is done they will have done another.

But I disagree with the OP the OWN Champs its theirs any new super MMO would most likely use this.

Everyone pretending to be all like "no", knows deep down they would also play the fudge out of a new Cryptic superhero mmo:wink:
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    After what they apparently got in store for Everquest Next...

The game sounds amazing.. then again .. It is Sony Online Entertainment.
    Everyone pretending to be all like "no", knows deep down they would also play the fudge out of a new Cryptic superhero mmo:wink:

The game sounds amazing.. then again .. It is Cryptic Studios
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Their 'Secret Project' is next generation superhero mmo game.
    No character customisation. F2P. Cashshop. Lockboxes.
    In reality, Tumer let slip over in the STO forums that "secret project" is just a thing they stuck on the website back when they were developing STO, kept as they began working on NW, and now have just as a catch-all in case they start making a new game. It means about as much as "Hollywood blockbuster", a term used to refer to any movie a studio wants to push (and if the critics don't like it, it's a "flop", even if, as with The Wolverine, it totally dominates its opening weekend).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    On the other hand, if they were secretly working on Champions Online 2, a version where they cleaned up the code and make everything work better, I'd be tickled every color of the rainbow about that.

Cause, you know, you can only spend so long trying to untangle that extension cord before you realize it would just be more effective to buy a new one.

I think the window for this has passed on the commerce side of things. I've long held that diehards would stay with champions online no matter how "tangled" it got. I no longer hold to that assessment.

The studio itself has a bad reputation by all 3 games players that they feel under-whelmed by the studios releases. It would take some major re-branding to get over the hurdle of bad will from who left Champions Online 1 and to a lesser extent City of Heroes (which I assume would be the majority of the targeted consumers Champions Online 2 wishes to capture).
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I'd be receptive to a modified platform with changes to play style, graphics, and tone. I don't believe they need to develop a new story, though. The Champions setting, taking everything in print from the PnP books into account, is as broad and deep with story potential as the mainstream comic-book companies. Champions Online has only scratched the surface.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2013

nope

#Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited August 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    nope

I dont agree with it but its your life choice all the power to ya o7
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd play one with this engine. If it was just as campy? Nope.
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Well if they can manage to make it without turning it into a mess like the last two apparently was. If they haven't learned to make NEAT and ORGANIZED code. Not to mention, having to have enough funds for maintenance, enough for actual tech support that actually does something more often than a bug fix a month if at all, and not letting bugs languish for years. If they cant solve those beginner game building 101 issues on the dev. and tech side, then they might as well not even think about bothering.

But if they truly learned from the mistakes here and make a decent game I'd play it.
  • borg10f9borg10f9 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I really only have time for one game, but right now I play the Marvel Online game about 3 hours a week, and Champions gets the rest (1-3 hours a day). Marvel is fun in a cheap arcade game way, requiring no thought or skill at all. I'll probably run a total of two characters before I become perma-bored.

Champions pulled me away from CoH, and has kept me occupied for 3 years now. It has a lot more depth (but a lot less story), and the character creator is awesome.

In order for a new hero game to entice me, it'd need to be something like CoH or Champions. The farther it is away from the DC game, the more likely I am to play it.

Any hero game that could pull me away from Champions Online will have to beat it in multiple areas, and not suffer comparatively in any area:

Requirements:
    1. Costume Creator AT LEAST equal to Champions Online
    2. Number of missions AT LEAST equal to Champions Online (preferable as many as City Of Heroes)
    3. Innovations - bring something new to the table: new powersets, new mission types, original stories, or something never-before seen

New Hero Game Dream Features
    1. Different character paths that let you feel immersed in your character, and help with perceived continuity:
    - a. If I have a "Superman"-type hero, I should feel like a powerhouse from day one. I should be able to handle fairly serious threats, and I shouldn't be fighting groups of non-powered thugs with chains and guns for weapons.
    - b. If my character is a street level hero, the missions and villains I encounter should be complimentary to that ideal. A pistol packing ex-cop shouldn't be doing space missions, or going to alternate dimensions unless he's part of a team.
    2. Maps: Probably my absolute favorite (and most-missed) thing about City Of Heroes was all the zones. Some were small, some were large, a couple were huge. Champions Online does have large maps, but there aren't that many of them. Ideally, the size of Champions maps with the number of CoH maps would be stellar.
    3. Foundry: The Mission Architect in City of Heroes gave us hundreds of hours of extended play time after we had rolled out 10th level 50. That alone could (if executed properly) could keep people playing much longer, and would alleviate the boredom between new releases.
    4. Giant Monsters - Sure Champions has a few 'Cosmics' but they're so freaking rare. City Of Heroes had a lot more cool things that were not so sparse in frequency -the Ghost Ship going through two different zones was cool, and it seems as if nearly every zone had something big and cool happening randomly.
    5. I should also mention the Rikti Raids and Task/Strike Forces... A new game should have a lot of these types of things. More fun = more people staying online longer.

But until something truly better comes along (from Cryptic or elsewhere) I will stay with Champions Online.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013

define big and how will they fund it?

You mean think up their own story when they can't even think up stuff while having access to the entire Champions Lore.

LIke a foundry? There's a few interesting bugs in the NWO foundry

Money , first and foremost. The other two games run by Cryptic/PWE have big name Franchises behind them.
    What big name franchise will make this new super hero game appeal to the masses, that you will need to finance it and keep it running?
    DC and Marvel are the most well known and they already have their own games.

a)Will we be able to explore Zones or will we be locked into small linear areas for missions(NWO)?

b)Will we have lockboxes and everything focussed on Free to Pay.. sorry Free to play.
    Where you buy everything from the cash shop including your bags and appareance changes (NWO)?

if the answer to a or b is yes, then I'll stick to the bug laden mess we currently have.

also pretty much all of Borg1of9's, wish list
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• heroshima1heroshima1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd be happy if they worked on Champions 2.0, which was this game with all bugs fixed, 5-10 more zones, umpteen leveling paths, Aura slots, weapon skin slots, 10+ new power sets, customizable vehicles (colors, accessories, etc), more hideouts, 15+ new costume packs in the C store, removal of all lock boxes, etc. Then when it goes live, they import all accounts, including bank inventory, SG vaults, Vet rewards, etc so all players move seamlessly into the 2.0. As a bonus, lock boxes that get ported over automatically open and drop contents. Then, as a 1.0 version shutdown, they have a BIG RED BUTTON mass event where all characters in zone have to simultaneously stand on a giant red self-destruct button.

Yeah...that would be awesome.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pretty much eating pie in the sky at that point, but hard to disagree that that would be awesome. :biggrin:

Tone down the camp elements, and I'm there.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Should make it browser based the way Disney handled their Tron: legacy disk arena.
    Have Alerts with destructible environments that last five or ten minutes generally.
    User made content for developing the story/hero episodes when you want to solo.
    3D face space for all our heroes.

Its going to be glorious.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What they should do is invest in a time machine and go back in time to stop themselves from making all the mistakes and fostering neglect they committed with this game so it would actually be successful now.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What they should do is invest in a time machine and go back in time to stop themselves from making all the mistakes and fostering neglect they committed with this game so it would actually be successful now.

With a lot of the horrible business practices this company makes as well as the bad decisions, this would probably literally be the most reasonable solution.

Personally with all the problems in this game, making another superhero MMO would be a complete waste of time and resources, especially since they own the rights to the IP. Then there's the slew of fans and long time players that are already angry with how this game was going, that making a new one would completely stab them in the back and give cryptic a way out of honoring LTS', there would just be too many angry people.

To be honest though, the game is too old as it is though, it's out of date and has been since beta. They need to update before they should be adding things, and they need to go back and fix things before trying to just move ahead. The best thing to do (aside from time travel) is to revamp this game. It needs a major overhaul. All three of cryptics games are way too buggy, even for an mmo's standards. Some things don't work any more, some things Never worked, and overall, it just needs to be fixed.

Maybe that's the real reason they made Cryptic North? It was cheaper to start a new studio to "fix champions" than to actually fix champions, so when it breaks the game or makes things worse they can just say "it wasn't us, it was these guys" close down the studio, and leave us back at nothing.... again.
  • malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Let's call it City of Lizards. You are all lizard superheroes and do all types of lizard stuff like basking in the sun.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Think about theres never been a bad Cryptic MMO.

There's never been a good one, either. Craptic sits very solidly right smack dab in the middle of mediocrity. I'm on the no side. EA could make a better superhero game than this company.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I'd rather they support, fix, and expand the one they've got. Thanks.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    they certainly do have the creativity... no wait, they had the creativity but making a 2nd super-bugged-hero-lockbox mmo? hmmm, why it doesn't sound that good?
  • alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cryptic Online: Bugs for All
    ERgLqqC.png
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, we've the name for this new superhero mmo : BugHunter Universe. *whistles innocently*
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If it was...
    pic520965_md.jpg
    ... with all the good elements of this game, just updated and more focus on open ended power generation, Id play it.

If it went the way of pay to win and lockboxes, Id not play.
    edited August 2013
    gamakyte wrote: »
    If it was...
    pic520965_md.jpg
    ... with all the good elements of this game, just updated and more focus on open ended power generation, Id play it.

If it went the way of pay to win and lockboxes, Id not play.

Gets my vote :P
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    CO 2 with better code and... Sigh. I can't even bring myself to finish the thought.

But wow, if even half of EQ Next happens, it's going to be amazing. I hope they copy some of GW2 ideas, too.
    (The weapon stuff reminds me vaguely of GW2)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is a big NO in my part. If Cryptic made another superhero game, CO might just end up like CoX. CO is practically on life-support as we know it.

Unless Cryptic can transfer all char/items/achievements in the new game, then there might be a chance.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This game will never end up like CoX.

City if Heroes always had WAY better devs and dev communication.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited August 2013
    This is a big NO in my part. If Cryptic made another superhero game, CO might just end up like CoX. CO is practically on life-support as we know it.

Unless Cryptic can transfer all char/items/achievements in the new game, then there might be a chance.

I definitely wouldn't want this to die, progress, maybe. Auto transfer of account and all characters. Of course :D
    This game will never end up like CoX.

City if Heroes always had WAY better devs and dev communication.

You kidding right? Cryptic devolved the game and Paragon killed it.

On the dev communication part I will agree City still has better dev communication.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You kidding right? Cryptic devolved the game and Paragon killed it.

NCSoft killed it, not Paragon Studios. They had just announced new content release the week before the shutdown announcement came down the tubes.

As I recall, the reason given was something along the lines of "the game does not align with our future goals." It's not like CoH wasn't making money, it was on an upswing. Just not /enough/ of an upswing. Corporate greed killed that game, and sad to say...I see this company doing the same things.

Craptic SOLD the game off. Only after this company did that did the game really start to improve and get better. Many opinions concur on that point. I'd wager that even if this company got out from under Perfect World's umbrella, this game would STILL languish.

What needs to happen is another sell off, so some REAL development work can get done.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited August 2013
    I never played CoH, but I'd like to hear about closing down before being pitched out on the street, especially after an update call and as a Lifer. I wouldn't go back to that pub or associates if I got tossed mid way through a schooner if last drinks wasn't called.

I wouldn't cause a row. I'd go quietly, and most likely call my mates when a new establishment was opened.
  • silverblade#7050 silverblade Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    CO 2 with better code and... Sigh. I can't even bring myself to finish the thought.

But wow, if even half of EQ Next happens, it's going to be amazing. I hope they copy some of GW2 ideas, too.
    (The weapon stuff reminds me vaguely of GW2)

I watched the EQN unveil and I thought how well the destructible environment could be used so perfectly in CO.

When I saw that lion character destroy the environment, I only thought about how it could be used in a superhero game. Imagine fighting an archvillain in Millennium City and your collateral damage ends up damaging a skyscraper so much, it begins to topple. A new mission unfolds. You have to save bystanders while tackling the villain before the building falls...or, even find a way to prevent the building from collapsing. So much potential...
This discussion has been closed.