test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fire Ant Grav Bike

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited September 2013 in Super News Network
Heat things up with the new Fire Ant grav bike, available now in the Drifter Salvage exchange!

The Fire Ant grav bike is built to take out entire blocks of enemies. The Fire Ant is available in the Drifter Store for 120 Salvage -- learn more in the blog post!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cool, looks a bit like Kaneda's bike from Akira. I love all the new content, keep it up and bring out some new costume sets!
  • tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't think this is a good idea.

I vaguely entertained the idea of getting one, so opened 11 boxes to see how much of an outlay I'd be expecting.

A grand sum of 27 Salvage.

So, roughly, I'd need 5 times as much again.
    11 boxes=10 dollars.

So, I'd be expected to spend 60 dollars in total to get one vehicle?
    For a baseline comparison, the normal price in C-store is 15 dollars.

I don't think it's realistic to expect someone to pay 4 times the dollar value for a vehicle!

If I was in the mood to spend that kind of money, I'd go to Star Trek Online and buy the Romulan Scimitar pack!
    $50 nets you 3 ships.
    That is better value for money, getting 3 vehicles instead of 1!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • underchickenunderchicken Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Before vehicles were even a thing and were only being talked about as a possiblity, I had this little character called Cardinal who is an Iron Aged, gun toting, jetbike driving badass!!!

I would just like to say, THANK YOU CRYPTIC from the bottom of my heart for FINALLY making the Cardinal complete!

I didn't eve have to adjust my costume colors! It's like it was ment to be!:biggrin:

Cardinalonhisjetbike.jpg~original

(CLICK HERE FOR LARGER IMAGE)
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    I don't think this is a good idea.

I vaguely entertained the idea of getting one, so opened 11 boxes to see how much of an outlay I'd be expecting.

A grand sum of 27 Salvage.

So, roughly, I'd need 5 times as much again.
    11 boxes=10 dollars.

So, I'd be expected to spend 60 dollars in total to get one vehicle?
    For a baseline comparison, the normal price in C-store is 15 dollars.

I don't think it's realistic to expect someone to pay 4 times the dollar value for a vehicle!

If I was in the mood to spend that kind of money, I'd go to Star Trek Online and buy the Romulan Scimitar pack!
    $50 nets you 3 ships.
    That is better value for money, getting 3 vehicles instead of 1!
    We've been trying to tell them this SINCE THE START OF LOCKBOXES, so I fear you're just shouting into the void that is Cryptic World. They don't really care about our input, they have 10$ of yours already, plus whatever else you've spent, plus whatever they make from people who don't catch on as quickly as you did. It's almost anti-customer, but "everybody else does it" makes it somehow a valid business practice. :rolleyes:
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Before vehicles were even a thing and were only being talked about as a possiblity, I had this little character called Cardinal who is an Iron Aged, gun toting, jetbike driving badass!!!

I would just like to say, THANK YOU CRYPTIC from the bottom of my heart for FINALLY making the Cardinal complete!

I didn't eve have to adjust my costume colors! It's like it was ment to be!:biggrin:

Cardinalonhisjetbike.jpg~original

(CLICK HERE FOR LARGER IMAGE)

Sir/madam, you'd better change your signature. Because you're PUBLICLY endorsing this bike, your sig now borders on hypocritical. Sorry, but that's how it looks. "Say no to lockboxes" turned into "OMG YOU PUT SOMETHING IN A BOX THAT I LOVE!!!". :rolleyes:
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's not in a Box.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't like how the primary new releases for the games are lock boxes as well as stuff you need to to collect from loot only obtainable through lock boxes, but enough is enough.

The become vehicles were only supposed to be the prototype stage for something that was supposed to provide at least SOME customization, and frankly costly item swapping doesn't really seem all that great in terms of what you get compared to what you lose. These things are horrendous, especially in comparison to the vehicles in STO. The small craft from sto are the most basic ships and even then they're a million times better than the vehicles this game has been getting.

Why not put the effort into new powersets and new costumes? Things that would improve the game as a superhero game rather than just adding new, less than useless, vehicles?

This game doesn't even offer that many places to use them due to how poorly balanced they are, not to mention how poorly balanced the normal powers are. With a new dev team behind the game(supposedly) why are we still getting let down in the form of vehicles instead of getting superhero related additions, or customization? This game used to be all about designing and customizing your hero, and there has been no real additions in that area for way too long. When are we going to be getting new powers and new costumes? Not just a reskin of what's already there, but an actual NEW powerset? Like Water or plant powers? It would be nice if Gigaton actually had radiation powers, or if Gravitar actually had Gravity powers.

Please start making super hero based content now. Vehicles as a whole are disappointing, but new costumes and powers are always a win for the players.
  • jaxtondragoonjaxtondragoon Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This game used to be all about designing and customizing your hero, and there has been no real additions in that area for way too long. When are we going to be getting new powers and new costumes? Not just a reskin of what's already there, but an actual NEW powerset? Like Water or plant powers? It would be nice if Gigaton actually had radiation powers, or if Gravitar actually had Gravity powers.

So you are discounting the new mental powers and upcoming laser sword powers as just reskins?

Admittedly giving Gigaton some radiation powers would be neat. and it seems the Irradiates already have some so it shouldn't be too bad. But what would keep radiation from being more or less a reskin of the other elemental powers (or Infernal).

Same with Gravitar. While actual gravity powers could be nice, how much different from existing powers could they actually be?

It seems logical that reusing animations and tweaking effects etc. is about the most efficient way to build powers, at least ones that seem related.

Imagine for example if all breath powers had different animations, that seems unnecessary, and in some cases that same logic could apply to other "related" powers.
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    I did a similar calculation: If I end up getting one it will be from the auction house - I saw some there for 3000 to 4000g yesterday which isn't terrifying to reach...
  • nesnonesno Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    more vehicle pls???
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not gonna lie, that thing is pretty.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • claransaclaransa Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ah new game same old nay Sayers, cryptic needs to pay their bills like any company. If you can't afford it I don't expect you to have it but the bottom line is cryptic needs to pay their bills or we don't have game.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, Because CO exists so Cryptic can pay it's bills.
    If you haven't noticed, Perfect World is the one paying the bills. Cryptic just hangs around in their basement.
    And 4 year old game isn't new. :wink:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Think about what you just said while you go sit in the naughty corner.

Yes, they need to "pay their bills" as you put it.

But I gave you the math, this isn't the way to go about it.

Many players in both STO and CO resent lockboxes, yet, they spend so much time making new ways to get you to open them.

STO just got a new one a few days ago.

I think it's time they shelved the lockbox cash cow team and actually put them to work on content and/or updates instead.

And to be honest, I'm getting sick of the people who blindly funnel money into them.

A friend of mine, hours after the new STO lockbox came out, related what the System Messages near him was saying.
    Player has recieved X lockbox ship. <endless loop of that, once every minute>
    I shudder to think how many boxes they were opening to acquire that ship.

Yes, that's right, they have a dedicated broadcast message to make sure you know they exist.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey, put the Fire Ant in the C-Store, I'll lay out money for it. That thing's nice.

But if the only way to get it is from Lockboxes, well...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hey, put the Fire Ant in the C-Store, I'll lay out money for it. That thing's nice.

Well, it's in the drifter exchange which you can get salvage from lockboxes, which are purchased form the store.

So I guess that's a roundabout way of saying it's in the store? Eh, sounds like lawyer speak.

Let's take some numbers!

Roughly 2-3 salvage a box, on average. I'll say 3 because I'm happy.

The Fire Ant was, last I recall, 120 salvage for it.

Simply math it out, and we get this :

120/3 = 40

40 Boxes, on average. 40 Keys, going by the bundle deal that would be $37.

Expensive as fudge, but pretty looking. :tongue:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
    edited August 2013
    Well, it's in the drifter exchange which you can get salvage from lockboxes, which are purchased form the store.

So I guess that's a roundabout way of saying it's in the store? Eh, sounds like lawyer speak.

Let's take some numbers!

Roughly 2-3 salvage a box, on average. I'll say 3 because I'm happy.

The Fire Ant was, last I recall, 120 salvage for it.

Simply math it out, and we get this :

120/3 = 40

40 Boxes, on average. 40 Keys, going by the bundle deal that would be $37.

Expensive as fudge, but pretty looking. :tongue:
    Yeah, it looks pretty. But not that pretty. Maybe if I were Gold, and had already bought everything I wanted so that my stipend were just piling up...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013

NO probs, Jonsills, youj can have my one. mail me in game @ cloudsatdawn

neverwinter just got hit with their recoloured vehicle.. I mean mount box. The 'limited' time Nightmare lokcbox, while the normal lockbox is 'not for much longer'
    The new horse has a different coloured mane and tail. Sound familier
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2013

ditto. I don't want to play lockboxes for items i want to buy. I want to buy items I want to buy. How is that too much to ask?
  • sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    edited August 2013
    Okay, chaelk, this is at least partly your fault... :)

My newest toon, an Inferno named Fire Ant:

FireAnt_zps3d6dd2cb.png

And Fire Ant riding his Fire Ant:

FireAntSquared_zpsbb91ca1f.png

• despairsrequiemdespairsrequiem Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    your a sick pervert, keep your ant on ant action behind closed doors...
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    sekimen wrote: »
    Release it in Blue and I'll buy it.

This is something that I do not understand.

No fan of the vehicle stuff am I*, but why not make a few basic model types and let the players customize their vehicles?

Take, for example, the Hawkwings. Make a basic Hawkwing, and then make two variations of that basic model. Nothing big, just a little design change to distinguish them.

Now take that basic Hawkwing, give it a few slots, and put it in the C-store for however much.
    Take one of those Hawkwing variations, give it the maximum slots, and put it in the lockbox.
    Finally, take that remaining Hawkwing, give it some amount of slots between the two, and place it in the Drifter store.

You pick the Hawkwing that you want and get to color it to fit your hero.

Same with the big tanks, the small tanks, the different grav bike styles, the chariots, and on and on.

The vehicle customizer would serve as an additional money sink, allowing you to modify colors, even letting you put symbols on the vehicle in different locations.

============================================================

* I know, I get it... Batman has the Batplane. but most superheroes use their vehicles as a means of getting from point 'A' to point 'B', and in CO, that is what travel powers are for.

I also get that they want ways to transform our heroes into cash, and they have chosen vehicles as the number one way.

During the Christmas event, though (the last time I was playing regularly until a couple of days ago), the vehicles were totally taking away the superhero feel.

Clarence spawns, a few heroes gather to defeat him, and top rewards? Going to those that stayed in their vehicles and let the tank be the hero, not their character.

If the tanks are so powerful, then why were the heroes there at all?
    Let UNTIL send VTOLs to Millenium City and when a Mega-Destroid pops up here or there, let them handle it while the heroes fight crime indoors.

I just think that making more vehicle special misions, even mission chains that require a vehicle for parts but have other parts where no vehicle is needed, would be enough push for vehicles.

I don't know how many costume bits and devices or whatever else they could use to push people towards lockboxes, or how they may want to look at costumes and some special frameworks or auras or whatever else to try and push people to the C-store for things other than keys.

I just think that the way that vehicles are integrated currently is missing some opportunities while taking away from the superhero aspect of the game.