test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So...how many people play CO Cryptic?

guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
I mean we know how many Neverwinter has.

Not a jab or anything. I would just really like to know.
Post edited by guardiannexus on

Comments

• Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    W7hOKUl.png

This is a jab because you didn't take a jab at them. :I

Anyway, ummm... well, I don't recall the exact number, but we generally have around 1000 people running around CO at a given time?
  • Options
    lordofscornlordofscorn Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I actually moved from Neverwinter to here a few weeks ago after seeing a thread about Champions (I played at release). Combat wise the game is pretty fun, but the builds/customization is very limited and set on rails, as are the zones/dungeons after the first time. The pvp is pretty bad as well. The Foundry is great, but the whole community in that game is toxic and horrible. I have never left a game because of that reason until this game, and I even payed for the 60$ founder pack. As soon as my DnD nostalgia started fading, I decided to abandon ship for now. I imagine I'll eventually return, just to play in Foundry, if anything else and the game and community has "aged" a bit.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Difficult to say. How many people are playing a game is actually a difficult number to nail down. Sure, you could count how many registered accounts there are, but that doesn't equate to how many players you have. I have four accounts, but you certainly can't count my multiple personalities each as a separate player. Then there's all those inactive accounts, those people certainly aren't playing.

Counting how many people are on in zones at any given part of the day also doesn't give you how many players are playing, because each time you record the numbers you're not recording a seperate group of players. Just because there are 1000 players on tuesday, and 2000 players on wednsday, doesn't mean there are 3000 people playing the game, because it's entirely possible some of the tuesday people were on on wednsday again.

When NWO says "2 million strong" it's somewhat unclear what that means. 2 million registered accounts? I bet half or more of those are just people making multiple accounts for free character slots, though obviously the company is more than happy to claim that those are all separate players. Some of those are no doubt people who made an account, started playing, and then stopped... how long after the "Last online" date do they count that account as part of that "2 million"? Forever? From a business stand-point they could, and it would certainly make the company look good.

Hell, maybe they only account for subscribing accounts, but they don't say that, so we're kind of left to wonder... 2 million what exactly?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    W7hOKUl.png

Anyway, ummm... well, I don't recall the exact number, but we generally have around 1000 people running around CO at a given time?

If CO made even a hundredth of that number, I'd call it an amazing success.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Never winter had an open beta, they are counting those accounts.

You know why?
    Because Secret World had 2 million closed beta players, and only 200,000 subscribers at launch.
    Those numbers looked really bad, especially since their big plan was based on minimal 500,000 subs a month ongoing.

Cryptic wants to look good, especially since PWE's profits don't.

If Cryptic was going to brag about numbers it would do it at the anniversary like it did last year.
    I don't think they are going to brag though.

Look at how things were before free to play
    That was October 2009, everyone of those players paid real money.

That guy was worried with a Canada with 739 people, we have 40.
    He fretted over a Desert with 529 people, we have 26 if we are lucky.
    The sky is falling with MC at 883 people at prime time on a Thursday?
    We don't reach 600 on the weekends.

How much real money is trading hands with those kinds of player counts?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Do we really wanna know?
    I mean if they suddenly throw that number, the reality will smack yous in the face and that wont be pretty.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well at least we would know.

Honestly I think it is about 100,000-300,000 in total.

We have not gotten as much hype since launch, nor the core following as NWO or STO.
    and we don't have the pedigree of the first Superhero MMO or have Sony money.

Ether way I don't think it is a bad thing. I honest have a hunch that there will be some massive update to something in CO. I don't know what that is but I just have a hunch that it will be fun and hopefully put co in the spot light for positive reasons.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they are planning on saying anything, the window is fast approaching. September 1st, the anniversary, is one of the most anticipated dates for this game. If there's a big reveal, the expectation floating around is that we will hear something then.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If they are planning on saying anything, the window is fast approaching. September 1st, the anniversary, is one of the most anticipated dates for this game. If there's a big reveal, the expectation floating around is that we will hear something then.

Does make sense.

Wish it was a system to expand on the open missions and have them expand through parts of the city, or all of the city in some cases, if we lose. Or an open mission with a random nemesis, with bio intact
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    When NWO says "2 million strong" it's somewhat unclear what that means. 2 million registered accounts? I bet half or more of those are just people making multiple accounts for free character slots, though obviously the company is more than happy to claim that those are all separate players.
    What's more, if you have a Cryptic account, you have a Neverwinter account, whether you've made a character in it or not. I have three accounts with Cryptic; they're in use for CO, so I can prove what can and can't be done with accounts that have had no money spent on them (and the third was so I could verify how bad the "streamlined" character creation was). I also use two of them in STO (I had intended the secondary to be merely for experimentation, but since I started using him in LCs, my Ferengi engineer Grunt has taken on a life of his own). I made two toons on my main account in Nevergonnaplayagain, and even played them through the initial tutorial and the first dungeon-on-rails. They're sitting there inactive now, and will almost certainly remain that way; there aren't even any toons on the other two. But if Cryptic wanted to just count accounts in NW, I would still count as three...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Make that 1,999,999. I stopped playing during closed beta.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    originaltygeroriginaltyger Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We have not gotten as much hype since launch, nor the core following as NWO or STO. and we don't have the pedigree of the first Superhero MMO or have Sony money.

Actually, since Cryptic were the ones responsible for the first Superhero MMO, doesn't that mean it does have the pedigree?
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As an aside, I highly recommend anyone who even vaguely likes scifi to go check out STO.

If nothing else, it's interesting to see what is possible with the engine, and how one can make a really engaging diverse f2p experience.

I'm not a Trekkie, though I do know a decent amount about it. But being able to fly around blowing up other ships is awesome.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Actually, since Cryptic were the ones responsible for the first Superhero MMO, doesn't that mean it does have the pedigree?

Not being the first. We are second superhero MMO then was DCUO. DCUO has sony money and a well known IP.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    As an aside, I highly recommend anyone who even vaguely likes scifi to go check out STO.

If nothing else, it's interesting to see what is possible with the engine, and how one can make a really engaging diverse f2p experience.

I'm not a Trekkie, though I do know a decent amount about it. But being able to fly around blowing up other ships is awesome.

Wish I could play that game. Spaceship fliying makes me sleepy. I don't know why. Black Prophecy, STO, and EVE all make me nod off when I am in space.

EvE made me mad when I could not dive into a star though so I just stopped playing after that. I mean what is the good of heat shield if you can at least skirt a star.:mad:
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not being the first. We are second superhero MMO then was DCUO. DCUO has sony money and a well known IP.

Cryptic made City of Heroes.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013

City of Heroes was the first, and that game was created by Cryptic.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic made City of Heroes.

I know that. I mean we don't have the same brand recognition as CoH had as "the first super hero MMO." We have brand recognition "as another superhero MMO made by Cryptic" with some faults but overall fun to play.

We have an IP which is very rich but is not as well known as the other SHMMO's (oh god we are a child of the three stooges. Is that a good thing or bad thing?) like DCUO with "Help Flash do your job" or "Watch as you pimp your self out for the clothes of others actual superheros."

In all seriousness, and mild sleep deprivation, all I am saying is that we don't have a lot to clam that bring people in like CoH did. It had taglines as being the only one in it's class then the first then the most played.

CO is no slouch and I enjoy it a lot. I just wish we had some better advertising like the other two MMO Cryptic put out. When I think about it CoH had more diverse marketing things like comics and such. We get one or two sites that I never heard of every few months (massively not included in that).
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I got a few other infos out of the infographic. STO posted a graphic that the have 2 Million Captains and 800 Million Mission Completed now compare this with NWO 2 Million Players and 559 Million Quest in a much shorter time frame.

STO did not post the foundry mission data but we know from the foundry producer that NWO has more foundry mission created as NWO, again in much shorter time frame.

However looking at a old CoX Infographic, after 7(3) years 375.000+ missions were created with the architect vs 262.000 in NWO in 3? month....

Infographic STO: http://sto.perfectworld.com/blog/?p=809441
    Infographic NWO: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=949011
    Infographic CoX: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/28/city-of-heroes-hits-7th-anniversary-releases-data-on-player-behavior-in-fun-infographic-form/
    Infographic CO: *beep* fatal error *404* :wink:
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've got 2 accts, they both count despite only one having been used for NWO. When I do log oon to pray or do crafts most of the people are just standing there at post office.

From the forums, a lot of people are only doing foundry, making them. Several having been accused of using alt accts to bump up their reveiws to get them on the good list. Thats more multiple accts.
    Then we have all the golds sellers.
    All the bot runners.

The actual active players is another matter entirely.
    Anniversary event, thats where Sapphire sings. People either listen adn laugh or turn off the sound for the 3 minute concert.

WE may have a special anniversary lockbox... Oh we do, the one with the sparkly gear from the previous years

We may get a different coloured vehicle.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Veterans!

When you joined the game, how many MC Instances we've had? 16? 20? Some even say 30. Nowadays, we struggle to get a 5th. A new instance opens when the previous one reaches 90+ members. Remember when Canada had two instances - and the second one was kinda empty and better for farming? its been over an year since i last saw a second instance to any map other than MC.

Hard to say how many people are playing Champs - that's the kind of thing only PWE knows, and if they shared we'd have a mass drop of gold subs - but lookin at those instance numbers we can get an idea.

Interestingly enough, the number of instances in Club Caprice never dropped (always around 6).
    ERgLqqC.png
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »

It's fun, but shallow... kind of like how CO would be with only 3 power sets, although 3 kinds of ships does alleviate that somewhat (ok, 9 power sets).

But it is pretty and does get comparatively massive amounts of new content on a regular basis.

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    W7hOKUl.png

Only a thousand people?

Well with the terrible ticket customer service and either lack of reply or when they do reply, some are plain rude, I wonder why?
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I counted, there are 5 players. And I'm pretty sure a few of them are alts of the same person.

I reached this number, not because, this is how high I can only count to. But because this is as far as I got before getting bored, distracted, and stopped counting.

So yea, the number is 5. Its pretty much as good as any other number anyone else is going to produce. Might as well go with it. :biggrin:
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aurinkosi wrote: »
    Veterans!

When you joined the game, how many MC Instances we've had? 16? 20? Some even say 30. Nowadays, we struggle to get a 5th. A new instance opens when the previous one reaches 90+ members. Remember when Canada had two instances - and the second one was kinda empty and better for farming? its been over an year since i last saw a second instance to any map other than MC.

Hard to say how many people are playing Champs - that's the kind of thing only PWE knows, and if they shared we'd have a mass drop of gold subs - but lookin at those instance numbers we can get an idea.

Interestingly enough, the number of instances in Club Caprice never dropped (always around 6).

...I remember when it had 5 but that was when I was hunting down crafting components for the CTPs. Never finished but 5 instances made it greeeat. Heck, even the powerhouse used to have multiple instances... (and that powerhouse being MC of course)

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    When Free for All hit, we had 27 instances of MC for several weeks. The comic series and adventure packs maintained interest, too. Now it's different.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I counted, there are 5 players. And I'm pretty sure a few of them are alts of the same person.

I reached this number, not because, this is how high I can only count to. But because this is as far as I got before getting bored, distracted, and stopped counting.

So yea, the number is 5. Its pretty much as good as any other number anyone else is going to produce. Might as well go with it. :biggrin:

lmao.

//////
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    When Free for All hit, we had 27 instances of MC for several weeks. The comic series and adventure packs maintained interest, too. Now it's different.

I had never seen the forums so positive as I had when the Comic series rolled around. A shame the model has been abandoned but the story arc model seems to be finally picking up...

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »

What? No Champs infographic? Let's rectify!

ChampionsOnlineInfographic.png
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That's superb!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Smacky, you sir have all the win today!!
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013

{The greatest infographic of all time. OF ALL TIME.}

original.gif
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dammit Smackwell, stop being such a Stockholm Syndrom infested, apologist, fanboi!

And cut that hair you hippie.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    what? No Champs Infographic? Let's Rectify!
    Pvpers [8]... (T.T)
  • Options
    edited July 2013

ChampionsOnlineInfographic.png

Now that's funny right there.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    lol Smack! I'm sure they'll be ready to hook that up on the front page xD

• Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    /applause for Smackwell

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    42.jpeg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I like the NWo one, We have received positive responses from fans and critics.

Yes and a LARGE amount of complaints from players. About, well pretty much everything
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Smackwell takes the cake, devours it whole whilst running and slam dunks the plate that it was on to the tune of Space Jam. 10/10.

The PvP player number is... accurate...
  • Options
    mawaynemawayne Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Smackwell, that was awesome.
    edited August 2013
    If posting in the forums and reading them counts as playing Champions Online*, I play each and every day :3

Please remember that I usually joke that the forums are the endgame of Champions Online.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    notburningchicknotburningchick Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm sorry if anyone's already mentioned this -- bit of a headache today.

The important bit to know is probably something like "total number of accounts that have given money to Cryptic within the last 90 days." It's the people who give money to Cryptic that, ultimately, count.
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *claps for smacky*
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have a SG containing only my toons, to make swapping things among them easier. Now I'm tempted to name the SG "New Champions 10463", just to mess with that count... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cheers smack! That was awesome.
  • Options
    ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited August 2013

The big reveal is auras.....I mean....what else would they even have time for?
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Outstanding! :biggrin:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013

he said 'rectify' ......

*giggle