test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alien Languages

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Has anyone ever created an article about the Alien Languages in the Champions Universe? Maybe something with common phrases in each language?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    In context, I just came up with this neat Alien/Language bind and thought it would be cool if there was some type of Champions lore phrase book that I could reference for my characters who use it.
  • dikawolfdikawolf Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Since I haven't gotten a response. I'm assuming no one wrote an article about the different alien languages yet. So I went with on my Roin'esh shapeshifter:

Xenovore = "Tk tk tk..."
    Ackalian = Yautja language
    Varyani = Vulcan language

But I'm stuck for a language for Denebian and the Roin'esh. Any suggestions?
    Be sure to check out my DeviantArt page!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There isn't much specific information in the lore about the languages of most sapient races in the Milky Way Galaxy, although you can extrapolate some elements from names and phrases mentioned in published books. Two exceptions to this are Malvan (described in Champions Beyond) and Xenovorish (detailed in Alien Wars). Following are excerpts from these sources.

"Like Humans and most other sentient species, the Malvans once spoke thousands of different languages. However, not long after the planet became politically unified it was linguistically unified as well, with a single language -- Malvan -- spoken by all people and other languages relegated to the realm of scholarship...

Humans can easily learn to speak Malvan (as Malvans can learn English, German, and so on). To the ears of a Human linguist it tends to most resemble Spanish or Portuguese in terms of how it sounds and "flows," though it has some similarities to Japanese (particularly in its honorifics and detailed system of pronouns). The vowel sounds A, I, and O are more common than U or E, and consonants are much more likely to be soft than hard. Dipthongs and double vowels are relatively uncommon...

Most names are two or three syllables long, and some consonants (such as X) occur far more often in names than in ordinary Malvan words." (Champions Beyond p. 106)

Most common names and titles in Malvan are translated to English in published books, but there are a few exceptions. For example, the main gladiatorial arena on Malva, the "Phazarian Arena," is sometimes called Tolos Dheda ev Berelar, "the Arena of Death and Glory." (CB p. 112)

"The clicking of mandibles plays an important role in Xenovorish. Phonemes formed by a precise series of clicks or simultaneous clicks are commonplace; one phoneme is formed by scraping two mandibles together; and emphasis on a single word is placed with a single click just before and after the word. A click at the end of a sentence indicates the mood of a statement. Interrogatory statements, for example, end with a click of the lower mandibles; imperative statements end with a click of the upper mandibles...

When transliterating Xenovorish into the Terran alphabet, Humans use an exclamation mark to represent phonemes formed by clicks, and an apostrophe to represent the phoneme formed by scraping mandibles together." (Alien Wars pp. 145-46)

Examples of transliterated Xenovorish are most often personal names, which are derived from important events or deeds, such as Ve! Bro'se!an, "Conqueror of Food that Pleads." (AW p. 147)
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I thought I would offer a few words and phrases which have appeared in published books for the other languages you expressed interest in. The main sources for information about other official races in the CU are Champions Beyond and Terran Empire. Note that the latter is set centuries in the future, so some of the historical and cultural details therein may not apply, which may reflect on the phrases below.

Ackalians:

Dravisha: the Ackalian empress (Ackalian society is matriarchal)

Ackorsha: "Victory Force" (their unified military service)

Kairensha: "Scout Force" (diplomatic, exploration, and intelligence-gathering agency)

Dravisha Rentrekis: "Empress's Security Force," her personal bodyguards. Better known as,

Ackalis d'ptef: "the Sword of Ackal"

Zolgan'th Broan, the "Palace Imperial" (seat of Ackalian government)

Shulgar, "chancellor," chief administrator of the empire

The Varanyi are divided into a strict class system, based on the number of crests on their heads (0 to 5), which also reflects their psionic power. From highest to lowest, these are Al'gari (the ruling clan), Ch'yuuk, Ch'ggeb, Chvorsq, Chpereth, and Ks'lch (with no psionic powers).

Sh'garoth Varanyi, the "Varanyi Empire"

Sh'garothayn, the Emperor

Uthiriom Vaan: "House of Notables" (advisory council to the Emperor)

Hrewinth H'vaar: "Thrice-Blessed Space Commandos" (elite spaceborn troops)

Vashyyl V'hanic: "Noble Gatherers of Knowledge" (intelligence agency)

I'm afraid I've not yet seen any print examples of the Roin'esh language, although it wouldn't surprise me if they mainly spoke Malvan after being their subjects for so long. For Denebian I found only one word, klasces, an archaic term for religiously-mandated castes; although the Denebians call their homeworld, Deneb IV, "Hrakarth."
  • dikawolfdikawolf Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Neat! Thanks for the info. The Ackalian will be useful to flesh out my Roin'esh character (who transforms into different alien races by best approximation I could from the source books I've read. For his Denebian form, I finally settled on South African surfer slang phrases (not sure why but was probably influenced by TMNT) and when written out looks alien. :)

Your examples will lead me to more words I'm sure.
    Be sure to check out my DeviantArt page!