test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this game worth $14.99 a month?

smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
How does one objectively measure entertainment value as a dollar amount?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
Post edited by smoochan on

Comments

• zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think it's fair to compare to similar products that cost similar amounts.

Now, what constitutes sufficiently similar is, obviously, debatable.

For folks who are overwhelmingly or solely interested in superhero mmos, for example, your evaluation will be different than folks willing to compare it to anything from movies to port wine to Skyrim.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My subscription costs as much as going to the movies once and getting one form of snack (drink or candy or popcorn). I usually see zero or one movie a month. If I didn't pay for CO, maybe I would see one or two.

I get FAR MORE entertainment from CO than from going to the movies one additional time a month.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The way I do it is by comparing it to the only part of my budget where I am able to shave money: Food.

I don't go to the movies unless a friend pays for my ticket, I play DND but I haven't bought any new books or stuff in over 5 years, etc. My total entrainment spend is basically zero other than CO and I think three books in all of 2012.

So, I look at it as "Am I willing to put these food items back on the shelf to get to keep playing as my favorite characters this month?"

So far, the answer has been "Yes".

But I keep a small stable of ATs just in case the answer ever becomes "No".
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Technically, no, as we're not seeing any real development go towards this game. Unfortunately if you want Free Form characters so you can get your concepts just right......
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lifetime since launch was very very worth it.... what is 'that' calculated per month ?

lol.

Fifteen bucks gets you, what, 5 comic books these days? That's a good hour of entertainment right there. :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    $5 a month, in easy payments of $15 for 3 months, $25 for 6, or $50 for 12.
    Is that what its worth?
    or Just the pricing of least resistance?

I certainly couldn't resist a deal like that. By golly I might buy two!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Fifteen bucks gets you, what, 5 comic books these days? That's a good hour of entertainment right there. :biggrin:

Actually, I think it's closer to 4 or 3 now.
  • freakstreakfreakstreak Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To simply answer the question? Yes.
    witchcraft.jpg

• neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The game is. The current Dev Team and mis-Management is undeserving.

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

objectively, not sure. Because the value of entertainment per dollar is depended on view of the person and what they think a certain amount of entertainment is worth and level of entertainment they feel they achieved by said product.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a market price list for the going rate of entertainment or value rather listed somewhere.

Then it depends on personal feelings and the interest of the person. 10 minute of "entertainment" of fantasy entertainment live show for $15 is well worth it but to someone that may not even like fantasy lore, $15 for 10 minutes of fantasy live entertainment may think it's an absolute rip off.
    edited July 2013
    'Not hardly.'

I can play a host of high quality games with active, engaged dev teams for either a low flat fee or completely free.

I can make cool costumes in CO for free. What does $15 a month get me? The ability to get much greater control over powers, which impacts gameplay -- gameplay that is incredibly imbalanced, buggy, limited, and stale.

The most valuable thing about CO is the costumes, and a sub doesn't help much there.

The f2p market has evolved, CO hasn't.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013

It does value more then $14.99 for me personally.
    And paid much more then that since beta. This is my best MMO. :3
    And get even more better if Cryptic fix Hero Game queue and give us back the lost Legacy Weapon skins. :3
  • alterbee#8429 alterbee Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    'Not hardly.'

I can play a host of high quality games with active, engaged dev teams for either a low flat fee or completely free.

I can make cool costumes in CO for free. What does $15 a month get me? The ability to get much greater control over powers, which impacts gameplay -- gameplay that is incredibly imbalanced, buggy, limited, and stale.

The most valuable thing about CO is the costumes, and a sub doesn't help much there.

The f2p market has evolved, CO hasn't.

Nailed it.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They should lift the cooldown from Farlong Device and VIP Transport Card already.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    I can make cool costumes in CO for free.

"Cool" and "for free" are both subjective terms.

Gold unlocks a good number of costume options that can't be accessed with silver, unless you've actually bought the unlocks for certain sets from the Z-store. I've tried it with a silver account and quite honestly, with the restrictions from using those costume pieces, in no way do I have the full freedom to make a cool costume exactly the way I want.

Maybe you're content with the limited options. Who knows. There's no contesting that the value of having full access to all of the base costume pieces factors into the sub price though.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ((X + Y^2) / (Z * C/B) - E^2/(D+A) * (I/2) + H)) / (F * G) = $14.97

X = Wolverine's Height

Y = Emma Frost's Bust size

Z = Batman's IQ

A = Peter Parker's # of facebook friends.

B = The number of times that Gomer Pyle said Shazam during the Andy Griffith Show

C = The age at which your reason for wanting Superman's X-Ray vision changed from finding the Magic the Gathering card pack with the best rare to checking out girls.

D = The number of times that some version of Jean Grey, or one of her look alikes, fooled Scott Summers...again.

E = The age at which you realized that other people considered comic books silly and immature.

F = The age at which you stopped caring that other people considered comic books silly or immature.

G = The number of people, who at one point made it clear that they considered comic books silly and immature, who you now know to be fans of comic book movies and the like.

H = The number of times you have hit the "T" key in an attempt to teleport while playing other games.

I = The number of times you have hit the "SHIFT" key in an attempt to block while playing other games.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »

X = Wolverine's Height

Z = Batman's IQ

B = The number of times that Gomer Pyle said Shazam during the Andy Griffith Show

C = The age at which your reason for wanting Superman's X-Ray vision changed from finding the Magic the Gathering card pack with the best rare to checking out girls.

D = The number of times that some version of Jean Grey, or one of her look alikes, fooled Scott Summers...again.

E = The age at which you realized that other people considered comic books silly and immature.

F = The age at which you stopped caring that other people considered comic books silly or immature.

G = The number of people, who at one point made it clear that they considered comic books silly and immature, who you now know to be fans of comic book movies and the like.

H = The number of times you have hit the "T" key in an attempt to teleport while playing other games.

I = The number of times you have hit the "SHIFT" key in an attempt to block while playing other games.
    Ah, but how do I factor in the number of times I pressed the "T" key in a vain attempt to activate the Risan Floater during the STO Summer Event?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2013

Compared to Power Girl's? :biggrin:

I am immune to these side-effects because I use a Xbox gamepad to do both of those things! HAH!
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    STO

STO = The number of times I wished for Wolverine to eviscerate Wesley Crusher during the X-Men STTNG crossover comic divided by the number of times I wished for Wolverine to eviscerate Wesley Crusher during the first run of Star Trek The Next Generation.

Infinity / Infinity = 1, so $14.97 * STO = $14.97.

edited July 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Compared to Power Girl's? :biggrin:

My calculator is incapable of handling numbers that large.

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2013

X = Wolverine's Height

Z = Batman's IQ

X: How dare you?

Y: 1000

A: HOW DARE YOU?

D: Still a better story than anything Liefeld and/or Deadpool participated in.

H: Real Men Don't Teleport

I: ...too many to count...
    biffsig.jpg
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The way I do it is by comparing it to the only part of my budget where I am able to shave money: Food.

I don't go to the movies unless a friend pays for my ticket, I play DND but I haven't bought any new books or stuff in over 5 years, etc. My total entrainment spend is basically zero other than CO and I think three books in all of 2012.

So, I look at it as "Am I willing to put these food items back on the shelf to get to keep playing as my favorite characters this month?"

So far, the answer has been "Yes".

But I keep a small stable of ATs just in case the answer ever becomes "No".

I think you need to stop playing games and eat some food already :rolleyes:

Without reading any of the other posts...one doesn't. It's an entirely subjective measurement based on your personal tastes and enjoyment.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013

not in Australia, after currency conversion, sales tax, import tax, retailers markup. I'm looking at $10+ per comic
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Y: 1000
    Jackie-chan-meme.jpg
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't think it is, at least not now.

To clarify, I'm not saying 'CO SUCKS!' or anything like that. I want to see how things pan out. I don't think it would be a wise investment for someone.

Now, about 2 years ago, I'd have said this game was worth the lifetime sub. Now? Eh... things aren't looking so good, but I'm not sure what's happening next. When the ball gets rolling one way or another, I'll make a more solid judgement.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    "Cool" and "for free" are both subjective terms.

Gold unlocks a good number of costume options that can't be accessed with silver, unless you've actually bought the unlocks for certain sets from the Z-store. I've tried it with a silver account and quite honestly, with the restrictions from using those costume pieces, in no way do I have the full freedom to make a cool costume exactly the way I want.

Maybe you're content with the limited options. Who knows. There's no contesting that the value of having full access to all of the base costume pieces factors into the sub price though.

"Cool" is subjective, but in this case "for free" is not. In your post you actually explain why it's not. The costume options can be accessed with silver for free by simply purchasing them from the Z-Store with Zen obtained from Questionite.

Maybe they're content with limited options, but if not they're free to expand their options, for free. The value of having access to all those base costume pieces today factors into the sub price if the customer is impatient.

edited July 2013

"Cool" is subjective, but in this case "for free" is not. In your post you actually explain why it's not. The costume options can be accessed with silver for free by simply purchasing them from the Z-Store with Zen obtained from Questionite.

Maybe they're content with limited options, but if not they're free to expand their options, for free. The value of having access to all those base costume pieces today factors into the sub price if the customer is impatient.

Still, the point remains that the pieces aren't free right away. A considerable amount of Q-grinding has to be done to unlock even the very first set that's desired, and with the current Q-rates today, it's takes quite some effort.

And "for free" still remains subjective, as to whether or not the requirement to do all of that Q grinding is an acceptable activity that a player is willing to perform.
    edited July 2013

X = Wolverine's Height
    Z = Batman's IQ

X: 5'3"
    Y: 28
    Z: 222
    A: 1
    B: 1,267
    C: 5
    D: 47
    E: 21
    F: 3
    G: .100
    H: 0
    I: 0

Answer: $119.55

So I'm $109.55 in the black.

btw, you have a syntax error, an extra right bracket, i.e. +H)) <--- remove one

edited July 2013
    Well, yeah, you can't make any costume. But even a starting silver account has more options than they have in many other games.

And there is a fairly easy ability to add to the range of costumes through token unlocks and modest amounts of questionite gain.

I would say the costume situation is analogous to having total freeform but being required to pay zen to unlock most of the power groups.

• chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited July 2013

X: 5'3"
    Y: 28
    Z: 222
    A: 1
    B: 1,267
    C: 5
    D: 47
    E: 21
    F: 3
    G: .100
    H: 0
    I: 0

Answer: $119.55

So I'm $109.55 in the black.

btw, you have a syntax error, an extra right bracket, i.e. +H)) <--- remove one

Well, never let it be said our fanbase isn't intelligent.
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    not in Australia, after currency conversion, sales tax, import tax, retailers markup. I'm looking at $10+ per comic

OK, I had no intention of commenting here, just watching to see when the train went off the rails, but, dude! I am SO sorry! :frown:

Also, Smooch, the syntax is fine. The entire term before the division symbol is divided. Recheck your order of operations?

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited August 2013
    atring wrote: »
    ok, I Had No Intention Of Commenting Here, Just Watching To See When The Train Went Off The Rails, But, Dude! I Am So Sorry! :frown:

Also, Smooch, The Syntax Is Fine. The Entire Term Before The Division Symbol Is Divided. Recheck Your Order Of Operations?

( ( X + Y^2) / (z * C/b) - E^2/(d+a) * (i/2) + H) ) / (f * G) = $14.97

went ahead and color coded the pairs of parenthesis so you can see it. The boldded/underlined one has no partner.

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Things just got real.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2013

( ( X + Y^2) / (z * C/b) - E^2/(d+a) * (i/2) + H) ) / (f * G) = $14.97

went ahead and color coded the pairs of parenthesis so you can see it. The boldded/underlined one has no partner.

it's a quantum variable. otherwise the equation is nothing but a recipe for salamander stew seasoning.
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    it's a quantum variable. otherwise the equation is nothing but a recipe for salamander stew seasoning.

There's no Wolverine height in salamander stew seasoning. This is a sham.

• alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Smoochan scares and surprises with such sharp summation and subtracting... She's sincerely stupendous, sometimes in a sexy sense!

(Sorry for such simple synonyms.)
    ERgLqqC.png
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All aims at alliteration are acceptable!

:cool: **thumbs up**
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Its FtP the games worth what ever the individual player is willing to pay.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited August 2013
    All aims at alliteration are acceptable!

:cool: **thumbs up**

But Barry! Brown bears bathing beside big beautiful beach babes? Belligerent brown bears bashed beer bottles by Barbara's backdoor Barry! Barbara bled! Brown bears be bad bro...bad.

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013

But Barry! Brown bears bathing beside big beautiful beach babes? Belligerent brown bears bashed beer bottles by Barbara's backdoor Barry! Barbara bled! Brown bears be bad bro...bad.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • borg10f9borg10f9 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For me, CO is worth AT LEAST the $14.99 a month. I came on board on the 2nd or 3rd day free-to-play started. I was playing CoH (only subs at that time), and after over 4 years playing, I was looking for something fresh. I lasted just over a week as a silver player before I felt the need to subscribe. I played both for about 2 months before my need to play CO overwhelmed my need to play CoH, so I stopped the CoH sub. Only paid and played CO since then.

What I got for my money was far greater than I expected. I liked having multiple character slots (serious altaholic here), and I liked having so many more costume pieces to choose from. That $15 a month also gives me a stipend of 500 zen, which is how I bought most of the non-gold costume packs, so now I have very few choices that AREN'T available to me.

Now I buy 5 keys, and sell them for about 500G a month. So now when I want to buy Omicron or whatever device power looks good for a character, I can.

About 6 months ago, I had a blip of low finances, forcing me to temporarily go silver. I converted one character to silver, and being confined to a single AT was too painful to deal with, I don't think I'd ever play a game that forced me into an AT again. I'd say my experience is like the difference between Apple's draconian ideals and Open Source 's ... well, OPEN Ideals. One is restrictive, one is empowering. Freeform ALONE is worth a sub to me. I now have over 40 freeforms, and I play EVERY one. It just takes awhile to do a rotation. :biggrin:

It's sad to me that so many people play silver and don't think gold is worth $15 a month. If I could be confident that CO would be around long enough to let me break even, I'd lifetime subscribe. Either option is better than free-to-be-confined.
    edited August 2013
    been lifetime since open beta.... still play regularly.

same with sto.

neverwinter....not so much.
    Well lets take a look at this...

I find the VERY FIRST month is really worth your try, and here is why.

You get a hideout worth about six bucks. (You keep the hideout even going back to silver)
    And you get your stipend of five bucks.

Converting that would be about 1100 zen, plus an opportunity to try all the things gold members get access to, to see if it's even worth the continued subscription.

Even just getting that hideout allows a shared bank account for all of your characters, plus a convenient tailor area and a place to retreat.

After your first month you're just getting continued gold access unlocks as well as your stipend of 500. If you go back, you're still keeping your hideout and all it's features.

It's worth "giving it a shot". Try it out and see how you like it.
    edited August 2013
    Furthermore, going gold the first time, you can often find a box very very cheap at Game Stop or somewhere else, probably for ~$10 (possibly LESS).
    Given you get $11 worth of stuff with a single month sub (hideout + points), you're essentially getting a month of subscription free.

Mind you, while it's not listed anywhere, at all, but policy is apparently 'you can't apply box codes for additional months of subscription.' Which is BS, but hey. (Get time cards from Amazon instead)

(I've found different MMOs have different, unlisted, policies about box codes -- for LOTRO, I had bought three boxes and was able to apply the codes, though one time required a phone call.)