test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A military group question...

lame22334lame22334 Posts: 100 Arc User
i used to play Coh...i had a toon that was created by( i hope i can mention this being the game is down) the 5th column.

My question is....in champions pnp...is there any group similiar in champions. I know doc destroyer was in the third reich...but thats all the information on german super villainous types.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    lame22334 wrote: »
    i used to play Coh...i had a toon that was created by( i hope i can mention this being the game is down) the 5th column.

My question is....in champions pnp...is there any group similiar in champions. I know doc destroyer was in the third reich...but thats all the information on german super villainous types.

VIPER would probably be your best choice. Warlord, from the custom Harmon Labs Alert also has his Shadow Army.

Except for a few named lieutenants, Dr. Destroyer's forces are all robots.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Don't think there are any out and out Nazi supervillains anymore, really. They're an unpopular bunch, especially among the Germans (I cannot emphasize this enough. Modern Germans hate the Nazis). VIPER is it's own thing, but works for the Big Evil Supervillain Army, though it's closer to Arachnos. Probably looted a lot of the old Nazi superscience stuff though, so that'll work.
  • keaixiankeaixian Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    @ drreverend:

There is Baron Nihil, who goes around dressed in a SS uniform and rules an all Aryan pocket plane or something. From what little I do remember about him no one does seem to like him in-universe. Not even his allies from Viper.

He is not very important and does hate Canadians instead of minorities, probably because of what you do say in your post.

@ lame22334:

I do not know much about 5th Column and I do know nothing about your character's lore but you may want to check Baron Nihil in the off chance he does fit. I am presently unable to check myself but I do believe he is in the first volume of the villain book. Other than that you can always create a small cabal of superpowered Nazi remnants allied and in general subservient to some of the big bads yet with its own agenda and projects on the side.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The Champion books are only a part of the hero system. For 5th coluimn villains you would be better off with "pulp hero" : Nobody forbids you to have a 5th column of the period to to have survived and to be active in the present day
    the heroes of yestarday
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited January 2013

As people have said Viper is close to the classic Nazi organisation and you might even manage to level that accusation against Raven as well.

However Malachite is youthful, evil, genius geneticist (created from experimental Nazi genetic material) who rules his own island. He would be a good candidate for having created a superhero and with a former Nazi theme.

Dr Samuel Levy is responsible for a number of supervillians (including Halfjack and Occulon), generally by performing an unorthodox medical experiment on a heavily wounded person and doing something very unpleasant to the people that brought that brought the subject.

If something 5th Column existed in the Champions Universe then Doctor Destroyer might well have killed them, acquired their resources and assimilated their technology. You could name such a group and have your character escape when the Destroyer called.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I thought Dr Destroyer was only briefly affiliated with the 3rd Reich, but was quoted in one of the books as considering Nazi policies to be idiotic, hence his solo work since then. I may be wrong.

But your best bet is VIPER for a villainious military force, but if you can't swing the snake theme in (VIPER do love their snake theme, but in fairness, they're really a mystical cult using the technological army and research as their many many metaphorical arms of influence. Coils of the snake's tail, you might say), I'd say either invent your own equivalent (if you don't want to claim it's existed in the Champsverse forever, just that it's never come up (which can be an issue if someone's claiming to be from a Nazi-ish group, when talking to a character who was set in WW2, to prevent weird "I don't remember you guys" moments of awkward silence in RP) , using the "Was shunted into this universe by a quantum storm" to explain your presence always works a charm).
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As people have said Viper is close to the classic Nazi organisation and you might even manage to level that accusation against Raven as well.

However Malachite is youthful, evil, genius geneticist (created from experimental Nazi genetic material) who rules his own island. He would be a good candidate for having created a superhero and with a former Nazi theme.

Dr Samuel Levy is responsible for a number of supervillians (including Halfjack and Occulon), generally by performing an unorthodox medical experiment on a heavily wounded person and doing something very unpleasant to the people that brought that brought the subject.

Note that some of this information is based on an earlier incarnation of the Champions Universe for a previous edition of the PnP game, and is no longer part of the current official CU (or at least, not yet). The organization Raven has to date not been mentioned in any connection with the current setting. Malachite has essentially been replaced as "criminal master geneticist" of the CU by Teleios, although Teleios has a different, non-Nazi-derived origin. Dr. Samuel Levy has not yet been mentioned anywhere in published Fifth or Sixth Edition Champions books, although Dr. Phillippe Moreau is named in connection with the creation of Halfjack and Oculon, during the period he worked for VIPER.
    edited July 2013
    drreverend wrote: »
    Don't think there are any out and out Nazi supervillains anymore, really. They're an unpopular bunch, especially among the Germans (I cannot emphasize this enough. Modern Germans hate the Nazis).

In the official Champions Universe, there actually is a modern German-based Nazi villain, a powered-armor wearer who calls himself Panzer. He dreams of overthrowing the German government and establishing a Fourth Reich dedicated to "Aryan" domination, and then pursuing European conquest. Panzer has connections to neo-Nazi groups around the world, and also takes mercenary work to earn money to build his own terrorist organization. This means that he could be encountered almost anywhere. He's detailed in the PnP game source book, Champions Worldwide.

And yes, his background text specifies that just about everyone who doesn't share his philosophy loathes Panzer. :wink:
    edited July 2013
    vorshoth wrote: »
    I thought Dr Destroyer was only briefly affiliated with the 3rd Reich, but was quoted in one of the books as considering Nazi policies to be idiotic, hence his solo work since then. I may be wrong.

You're not wrong. Albert Zerstoiten worked with the Fascist German government in the 1930s and '40s because they had resources he wanted to exploit, and because they didn't give him any choice. He mouthed Nazi slogans when required, but he considered Hitler and his lieutenants to be of limited intelligence, and their philosophy of Aryan supremacy totally scientifically unfounded.
    edited July 2013
    keaixian wrote: »
    @ drreverend:

There is Baron Nihil, who goes around dressed in a SS uniform and rules an all Aryan pocket plane or something. From what little I do remember about him no one does seem to like him in-universe. Not even his allies from Viper.

He is not very important and does hate Canadians instead of minorities, probably because of what you do say in your post.

Baron Nihil (originally Ernst von Niehl) was a cutting-edge weapons designer for the Third Reich, who during the war was apparently disintegrated by one of his own super-weapons. He eventually coalesced as a powerful energy-being on a pocket-dimension alternate Earth known as the Kingdom of the Saguenay, populated by Nordic-looking humans, which he conquered.

Baron Nihil is obsessed with Canada for reasons to do with his past (and because he originally appeared as a villain in the PnP source book for Canada, Champions Of The North :wink: ), but he does dream of restoring Nazism to Germany and inspiring or frightening the world into embracing Nazism. His kingdom's soldiers utilize advanced technology, particularly his powered-armor Gewittergarde, or "Storm Knights." Baron Nihil is detailed in Champions Villains Vol. 1: Master Villains.

I imagine if Baron Nihil came into contact with the abovementioned Panzer, the two of them would get along famously. Cooperation between them might actually pose a serious threat to world security.