test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How Things Have Changed!

cohsurvivorcohsurvivor Posts: 8 Arc User
First, let me start by saying that I started in Beta and bought a Lifetime Subscription at the time. I had been playing COH and wanted to try out this game. While a Lifetime Sub is a lot of money, I take the long view on things. Also, if I was dead broke and couldn't afford a sub, I could always play CO.

I played on Launch Day and created my toons and played up to about level 15. Balance issues made by Dual Blades guy lose almost every fight. So I parked in the Southwestern Desert and left him there. Another toon completed the first story arc in the Canadian Wilderness and came back to Millennium City. Crafting was?difficult and had a lot of steps. Also the tone seemed to say ?No one could take this stuff seriously, superheroes are, of course, ridiculous but you can be in on the joke! Stop Foxbat from stealing Ping Pong Balls!? YukYuk.

It just wasn?t working for me so back to COH I went.

But having a Lifetime sub, I would check in every year or so.

I saw the tutorial get shorter, no more starter zones in the desert or wilderness. FTP brought some nice new costume pieces, tried a few of the archetypes. Still didn?t really like the look of the models for faces or body style. Hideouts? Very cool. Vehicles? Awesome! Maybe next time I check in we?ll have a motorcycle or some non SF vehicle (apparently not)

COH was finally murdered by NCSoft and I thought about my lifetime sub but decided to try some other games out. CO would be there with lifetime sub whenever I got an itch.
Some on in one of the Facebook groups dedicated to COH suggested that people give this game a try and I figured, Why not? I probably have a bunch of points and it might be fun.

Some things haven?t changed much. Still not crazy about the energy builder spam attacks or how the basic toons look or the still present ?YukYuk Foxbat? factor. (which I don?t remember from the PNP game that I played in 80?s)

I couldn't get over how short the tutorial was now. I kept looking for the speedster guy who was locked in the cage. I also didn't get Meet The Champions perk (I always had before) I also missed my award ceremony and salute at the end of the tutorial.

Training new powers in the field? Freaking AWESOME!

No more tertiary slots for equipment? Cool. One less thing to keep track of.

Crafting seems simpler in some ways but I haven?t played with much.

Multiple currencies? Oh joy.

Not sure I like these lock boxes. Nice stuff inside but if the only ways to get the keys is by spending cash, I?d rather have regular drops. There ought to be a way to get keys in the game as either drops or rewards for missions. Who knows? Maybe there are. I bought ten keys and I have 2 left and I?m only level 12. That could get pricey.

Every time I came back before I would see a bunch of cool costume sets that had been added while I was away. Not this time. Looks like new costume pieces aren?t being seen in the store. Bummer. I like to create my hero?s look when I start, not after having to play him to unlock the pieces I want.

But the main thing that has changed in my view is that the game is more fun to play. I don?t know when that happened or how, but it?s a good thing.
Post edited by cohsurvivor on

Comments

• lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think at the moment it costs about 20000 Questionite to convert to 100 Zen. So if you do some of the Alert daily missions or do anything else that gives Questionite, you could earn enough to get a couple keys every few days. It ain't great, but cash ain't the only way to get the keys.
  • cohsurvivorcohsurvivor Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh yeah, Questionite! That wasn't here either. Or Alerts.

But what you suggest sounds very grindy. Are the alerts just the same missions on a rotation?
    edited July 2013
    Oh yeah, Questionite! That wasn't here either. Or Alerts.

But what you suggest sounds very grindy. Are the alerts just the same missions on a rotation?

Pretty much. They're very quick missions, lasting two to... five minutes? Maybe more for the special ones. There's the Smash Alerts, which have the big XP icon on them. These grant too much XP, so if you wanna ruin the game and just get to 40, do that. But don't. You'll burn out quick. There's Grab Alerts, which shouldn't really exist because you go in and fight a dude for like five minutes and get like, three bucks and change out of it. Thanks, Mr. Mayor. Then there's Burst alerts, which grant equipment mods.

The daily Alert mission grants 2000 Questionite Ore. You can refine like 8000 of this stuff per day, per character. Double if you're a lifetime subscriber. So hooray to you! You "can't" transfer your Questionite from one character to another.

Okay. So the Daily Alert mission is always to just run 3 Alerts, so not that grindy. Either run three Smash, three Grab, three Burst, or one of each. In addition, you can find Questionite boxes when defeating bosses in the game, and also for defeating your Nemesis. There's an alert called Dockside Dustup: Nemesis, which guarantees you a Questionite box, which has like 200 to 1500 Questionite. So grind'em up!
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would advise against opening lockboxes before you're level 40, by the way. (i also advise against opening them period, but that's besides the point)

You might get the super-rare-lucky-you gear! Which is very valuable. It's called Legion Gear.

Upon opening the box that contains it (you get a box out of the lockbox, go figure) the Legion Gear that comes out scales to your current level.

Therefore, it will really suck to be you if you wind up with level 12-39 Legion Gear!

lucasjackson knows his stuff.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=202381

Here's my thread on the just-starting-out experience, it might be somewhat applicable to you. Maybe.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You don't remember Foxbat from the old PnP game? He was in (IIRC) Enemies II; he was one of my group's favorite villains, because one of his Psychological Limitations was "Believes he is in a comic book" (which translates to CO Foxbat believing that he's in an MMORPG).

I once added up how many XP he must have accumulated as a villain in our shared gaming universe. The next time the heroes met Foxbat when I ran the game, they were rather surprised by how he'd upgraded his equipment...

(Heck, in my own adventure, the Magna Carta Scenario, he was the leader of the villain group. They were all villains with a poor grasp of reality; they thought that if they went back in time and saved King John from being forced to sign the Magna Carta in 1215, then when they returned to their own time they would be kings, literally. Foxbat, Utility, Darkon... ah, good times...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    I would advise against opening lockboxes before you're level 40, by the way. (i also advise against opening them period, but that's besides the point)

You might get the super-rare-lucky-you gear! Which is very valuable. It's called Legion Gear.

Upon opening the box that contains it (you get a box out of the lockbox, go figure) the Legion Gear that comes out scales to your current level.

Therefore, it will really suck to be you if you wind up with level 12-39 Legion Gear!

Here's my thread on the just-starting-out experience, it might be somewhat applicable to you. Maybe.

Yeah sometimes I open up boxes here and there prior to 40. Like between 30-35 usually with the latest being level 38 that I still aint slot it as by 38 two levels left things are winding down and survived 38 out of 40 levels without it really dont feel urger personally to slot it in something that is near "retirement". Just dont feel the chances of getting good Legion Gear is worth it on a 40 that I rarely play compared to a toon that has 5-10 levels at least of play time. Plus I can always buy level 40 Legion gear off the market if I get the urge to slot a level 40. But there is no or not many I seen legion gear less than 40 thus seems like the boxes are the only way.
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    You don't remember Foxbat from the old PnP game? He was in (IIRC) Enemies II; he was one of my group's favorite villains, because one of his Psychological Limitations was "Believes he is in a comic book" (which translates to CO Foxbat believing that he's in an MMORPG).

I once added up how many XP he must have accumulated as a villain in our shared gaming universe. The next time the heroes met Foxbat when I ran the game, they were rather surprised by how he'd upgraded his equipment...

(Heck, in my own adventure, the Magna Carta Scenario, he was the leader of the villain group. They were all villains with a poor grasp of reality; they thought that if they went back in time and saved King John from being forced to sign the Magna Carta in 1215, then when they returned to their own time they would be kings, literally. Foxbat, Utility, Darkon... ah, good times...)

I remember him. But the whole game wasn't toned like that. He was the exception, not the rule. But maybe they meant it that way. Every good Champions ref I ever played with played it straight.

The dialogue seems pretty tongue in cheek. Much harder to suspend disbelief. That's especially necessary if you like to alt and have to play the same arcs multiple times.
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »

Thanks! I did read it and philosophically I agree 100% I don't power level and I feel you can really only understand your character if you play them at a slower rate. Besides, this is content I've not run before.

I don't know if there are alternate leveling routes in CO or not. But if not, then I'll skip arcs I don't care for second time through by using the alerts.

Can you solo alerts? I play at odd hours and solo a lot.
    edited July 2013
    Thanks! I did read it and philosophically I agree 100% I don't power level and I feel you can really only understand your character if you play them at a slower rate. Besides, this is content I've not run before.

I don't know if there are alternate leveling routes in CO or not. But if not, then I'll skip arcs I don't care for second time through by using the alerts.

Can you solo alerts? I play at odd hours and solo a lot.

Joining Alerts puts you into a queue, and when five people have filled the slots, it drops you into the Alert. So yeah, go ahead and join em solo. You'll get a group assigned to you.
    edited July 2013
    Thanks Lucasjackson! You are a most useful mammal! (I assume anyway)
    edited July 2013
    You got the mammal part right!
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Still not crazy about the energy builder spam attacks

It's a necessary evil at low levels, but it's possible to build characters that never use their energy builder.
    or the still present ?YukYuk Foxbat? factor. (which I don?t remember from the PNP game that I played in 80?s)

That's definitely the exception. The whole game is peppered with bad jokes, but there's only a couple places in the game that are truly Foxbat silly.
    I couldn't get over how short the tutorial was now. I kept looking for the speedster guy who was locked in the cage. I also didn't get Meet The Champions perk (I always had before) I also missed my award ceremony and salute at the end of the tutorial.

Kinetik is now fighting Qular near the Champions HQ. I don't think it's possible to talk to him any more - I've never gotten him to stop long enough to talk to. That means that you can't get Meet the Champions in the tutorial. However, you can find him in Millennium City and in the Vibora Bay Apocalypse. Either will count for the perk.