test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A device that makes you immortal? Suuure why not!

exonik0pweexonik0pwe Posts: 51 Arc User
So yeah today i saw a devastator AT killing a bunch of FFs without any effort. I descided to duel him with my pvp build when i noticed he didnt take any dmg....then i saw the "immune-critical" floaing above him. Maybe that device should be....nerfed?!?!?! *drama music* Or atleast make it so its not usable in duels OR SOMETHING. Just a thought. Make it work like unbreakable or something this is ridiculous. Btw u can use up to 5 devices i hear... So yeah thats balanced isnt it ;)
Post edited by exonik0pwe on

Comments

• exonik0pweexonik0pwe Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic logic - "Lets cripple AoPM(one of the best pvp passives) but lets put in some kind of...device...that makes u....hmmmm...i know! A device that makes u immortal!!!! And make it so u can equip 5 of them and spam um all the time!!! Genius!!!!11"
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's called Eruption.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited July 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    It's called Eruption.

Good to know. It really should go away tho.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a random drop from Armadillo which makes sense since he has the same "immune immune immune immune" power.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a device from the Legacy Device Kit from the Drifter Store.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, Eruption is dumb. Yeah, some people have wasted time, effort and money getting 5 of them.

You know what? It's a dumb device and shouldn't have even been brought back in its current state.
    edited July 2013
    It's a random drop from Armadillo which makes sense since he has the same "immune immune immune immune" power.

Honestly i dont care where it comes from or what powers armadillo has, all i care about is that it needs to be nerfed devices like this one and the dino device make the game unfair. They should make it so u can equip 1 of them atleast u can still have ur device and be an absolute coward without breaking the game. Also increase CD.
  • alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The bag that drops the device costs 40 salvage. Since every box drops 2 salvage minimum (and also, average), that cost around 20 keys - therefore, 20 dollars.

The chance of getting Eruption is 1 in 40. If we say you get one after 20 attempts (which would be kinda lucky), you have paid 800 Drifter Salvage which is equivalent to 400 keys - therefore, 400 dollars.

If what OP said is correct and he had 5 Eruptions, that would be 100 Legacy Boxes (in an average) that cost 4000 Drifter Salvage, which means 2000 keys - therefore, 2000 dollars.

That player probably did not pay that, obviously - he bought keys and Drifter boxes from other people, probably even bought the Eruption device from other players. That means he probably didnt pay 2000 U$ for that set - but several people out there did, if you sum it all up (Because there's no way to acquire them otherwise). And here you are, asking a chinese money-milking company to nerf a device that just gave them 2k and probably will continue to do so.

I know its sad. I know. But they will not nerf it.
    ERgLqqC.png
    edited July 2013
    Lol @ monkey-milking company xD and screw logic! Nerf that device! I thought quality=profit but i guess unfair=profit in this game.
  • lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Please provide proof that Cryptic milks monkeys.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aurinkosi wrote: »
    The bag that drops the device costs 40 salvage. Since every box drops 2 salvage minimum (and also, average), that cost around 20 keys - therefore, 20 dollars.

The chance of getting Eruption is 1 in 40. If we say you get one after 20 attempts (which would be kinda lucky), you have paid 800 Drifter Salvage which is equivalent to 400 keys - therefore, 400 dollars.

If what OP said is correct and he had 5 Eruptions, that would be 100 Legacy Boxes (in an average) that cost 4000 Drifter Salvage, which means 2000 keys - therefore, 2000 dollars.

That player probably did not pay that, obviously - he bought keys and Drifter boxes from other people, probably even bought the Eruption device from other players. That means he probably didnt pay 2000 U$ for that set - but several people out there did, if you sum it all up (Because there's no way to acquire them otherwise). And here you are, asking a chinese money-milking company to nerf a device that just gave them 2k and probably will continue to do so.

I know its sad. I know. But they will not nerf it.

It profits so much for so little production cost, why does Cryptic even need to add content anymore?
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited July 2013

:eek:

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You can milk anything with nipples. I heard it in a movie once!
    I love eruption it makes any idiot invincible. I also makes them look like nobs :D

Let them "win" with this device I say makes for good entertainment in ren cen and of course the forums :3
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited July 2013
    It profits so much for so little production cost, why does Cryptic even need to add content anymore?

What new content have u seen? Are alerts new content? Or maybe useless vehicles in a game with travel powers? Or maybe ridiculously OP devices? What is your understanding of "content"?
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013

{points to link on desktop named - CO} Need any more?

(Im back 1 week and Ive already changed my spots)
    What new content have u seen? Are alerts new content? Or maybe useless vehicles in a game with travel powers? Or maybe ridiculously OP devices? What is your understanding of "content"?

I'm pretty sure that's his point. That if they can make $2k for something like this why make new content?
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Need grass to make milk, moo
    I'm pretty sure that's his point. That if they can make $2k for something like this why make new content?

Ah i see.. i misunderstood.

So what then...we drink monkey milk n theres nothing we can do?
  • sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is a pretty broken device and it should at least have a high global cooldown.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    exonik0pwe wrote: »
    So yeah today i saw a devastator AT killing a bunch of FFs without any effort. I descided to duel him with my pvp build when i noticed he didnt take any dmg....then i saw the "immune-critical" floaing above him. Maybe that device should be....nerfed?!?!?! *drama music* Or atleast make it so its not usable in duels OR SOMETHING. Just a thought. Make it work like unbreakable or something this is ridiculous. Btw u can use up to 5 devices i hear... So yeah thats balanced isnt it ;)

But... if they nerf it, how are they going to ruin pvp?

You see, at some point (somewhere around when On Alert came out) they made a conscious decision that pvp in this game is not only unimportant, but that it is wholly undesireable that any sizeable portion of the population participate in it at all. You see, making pvp an active part of the game would be a lot of work for them; they would have to re-balance the entire free form system so that people wouldn't need to make specific builds for pvp (because what good is pvp if you can't "Be the hero you want to be" without facing constant failure), and they would have to implement rewards for pvp that are worthwhile but that also don't diminish rewards found in the rest of the game (because you don't want to pull everyone in, just the people who actually enjoy pvp).

They couldn't just outright remove hero games and dueling from the game of course... one, because that would cause outrage (we have so little content and they're removing more???) and because who knows how much stuff not even related to pvp would get broken during the process of ripping out the hero games. Solution? Just make it worse, and devices like these are part of that process. See, they knew they could easily make the players do the work for them, because they knew that there were just enough hyper-competetive folks who would farm up all these "make you invincible" and "deal more burst damage than most powers instantly" devices that it would completely crush any fun that anyone else could have in pvp.

End result of this devious plan?

1. Cryptic made money, probably a bunch of it, off of the very same players they were using to ruin pvp for good.

2. Mass abandonment of pvp by all but those few who actually like the new "use specific builds and farm devices" dynamic that now exists, as well as those few people with a "grin and bear it" attitude ( mmo developers love those people ).

3. Because of this tiny population that even cares about pvp anymore, there is no noteworthy demand that anything be done to improve pvp. They forced that 2% notion to become true.

Success, 100%.

This makes sense if you think about it, since those devices don't really have any sort of large-scale application in pve.

-Pve is easy enough that you don't need invincibility devices or any of the others; no one has ever thought "aw geez, I could complete these missions or alerts if I only had a few temporary invincibility devices". In fact, many of the devices that the gamble boxes are padded with are useless in any context, they're just there so that something other than the desired devices will be in there, because you certainly don't want it to be too easy to get these devices because then you would have too many people who have them and can use them to get into pvp.

-The devices, despite arguments to the contrary, don't do much for customization, unless you have a very specific theme that calls for one of these powers, and that theme is important enough to you that you're willing to endure the gamblebox process involved in acquiring these items. Generally, if you're just here to make cool characters, you don't want to waste your time on that; only someone who is trying to acquire them to fuel a desire to win against other players would do that consistently. Often when you do find someone who claims these devices are part of their theme, after some prodding you will find that they actually twisted their theme around the presence of the devices in order to justify their use, rather than having thought up a theme and later realizing that the devices would serve a thematic purpose.

So basically, that's why these devices aren't going to be nerfed, and they aren't going away. The reaction you had to them being used in a duel against you is exactly the reaction that is desired. It's not a conspiracy, it's just a game design decision that was made to lessen the potential workload on the folks keeping this ship afloat.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
    edited July 2013
    tadef6c_signs_tinfoil_hats.jpg
    edited July 2013
    tadef6c_signs_tinfoil_hats.jpg

I get that you're trying to really play up the whole "Dumb guy who doesn't know what's going on" thing that your avatar represents... but come on, original pics at least? :)

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think you can by pass the immunity by using another device...

The device in question is [PRIMUS Spark Shield]

It may not deal much damage back but their reflected damage is based on incoming. So at least they won't be immune....

I've seen this in action, and experienced it for myself once.
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

I get that you're trying to really play up the whole "Dumb guy who doesn't know what's going on" thing that your avatar represents... but come on, original pics at least? :)

...says the person who posts dozens of the same anime girl all the time!

A - The avatar implies slyness. Handsome slyness.

2 - That's the best tinfoil hat pic ever (feel free to post a picture of that anime girl wearing a tinfoil hat).
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Guys you do know Smoochan was taking the piss with her wall of text. Those that replied where well and truly SMOOCHANED IN THE FACE!
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Welcome to the forums! You must be new here.
    edited July 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Guys you do know Smoochan was taking the piss with her wall of text. Those that replied where well and truly SMOOCHANED IN THE FACE!

I would hope so. That's some top notch conspiracy theory he cooked up.
    edited July 2013
    I would hope so. That's some top notch conspiracy theory he cooked up.

Smoochan is CO's very own conspiracy nut ^__^ She's like Agent Mulder but 100% more annoying.

Cat-With-Tin-Foil-Hat-16407434984.jpeg
    edited July 2013
    Like I said guys, it's not a conspiracy. Conspiracy requires that they were trying to hide it. If any of you can give a compelling reason why it would be a conspiracy, please do go ahead... you all are, after all, the ones calling it a conspiracy.

The ruination of pvp was carried out in clear and public view of all parties involved. They didn't explicitely state they were doing it because they're not mean-spirited; coming out and saying "We're ruining pvp" would really only serve to hurt people's feelings and provide bad pr. However, they certainly at no point tried to hide what they were doing. In fact, they made it so easy to see that the only way it could have been more obvious was if they had actually directly stated it.

But please, if you have some evidence that they were doing something to improve the pvp experience rather than ruin it, go ahead. Better yet, post that evidence in the hero games forums, I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks to agree with you there :)

I know, it's difficult to believe that game designers would actually consciously make that sort of decision... if you've had your head in the sand the past few years that is.

ichigo-mashimaro-matsuoka-miu_3519d.jpg

edited July 2013
    Like I said guys, it's not a conspiracy. Conspiracy requires that they were trying to hide it. If any of you can give a compelling reason why it would be a conspiracy, please do go ahead... you all are, after all, the ones calling it a conspiracy.

The ruination of pvp was carried out in clear and public view of all parties involved. They didn't explicitely state they were doing it because they're not mean-spirited; coming out and saying "We're ruining pvp" would really only serve to hurt people's feelings and provide bad pr. However, they certainly at no point tried to hide what they were doing. In fact, they made it so easy to see that the only way it could have been more obvious was if they had actually directly stated it.

But please, if you have some evidence that they were doing something to improve the pvp experience rather than ruin it, go ahead. Better yet, post that evidence in the hero games forums, I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks to agree with you there :)

I know, it's difficult to believe that game designers would actually consciously make that sort of decision... if you've had your head in the sand the past few years that is.

Gentleman Crush was working on PvP then they pulled him for Neverwinter and when he returned they shoved him on MIND POWERS! It aint on purpose its just Cryptic logic at work again.

I+WANT+TO+BELIEVE+print.jpg
    edited July 2013
    Gentleman Crush was working on PvP then they pulled him for Neverwinter and when he returned they shoved him on MIND POWERS! It aint on purpose its just Cryptic logic at work again.

Yes, because Cryptic removing the dev who was actually working to make pvp better from the equation is proof that they had an interest in improving pvp. Just like trying to make Agent Mulder spend his time investigating cats stuck in trees shows the FBI has an interest in uncovering the truth about

edited July 2013

Your entire argument is speculative. You have no proof either. Just a bunch of speculations neatly twisted into a cohesive story.

My rebuttal is that, based on everything we've seen recently, no one that's got their fingers in our punchbowl would have the know-how or deviousness to put a plan like this into place. No "grand scheme" thinking.

As a matter of fact, our developers haven't even touched PvP. There's no evidence they even know it exists in this game.
    edited July 2013
    Your entire argument is speculative. You have no proof either. Just a bunch of speculations neatly twisted into a cohesive story.

My rebuttal is that, based on everything we've seen recently, no one that's got their fingers in our punchbowl would have the know-how or deviousness to put a plan like this into place. No "grand scheme" thinking.

As a matter of fact, our developers haven't even touched PvP. There's no evidence they even know it exists in this game.

It's odd that you think what you just typed is somehow evidence that contradicts what I've said. Again, that avatar... I don't think it means what you think it means.

edited July 2013

Yes, because Cryptic removing the dev who was actually working to make pvp better from the equation is proof that they had an interest in improving pvp. Just like trying to make Agent Mulder spend his time investigating cats stuck in trees shows the FBI has an interest in uncovering the truth about

Oops, they got her.
    edited July 2013

It's odd that you think what you just typed is somehow evidence that contradicts what I've said. Again, that avatar... I don't think it means what you think it means.

Fight fire with fire. Except replace the word fire with speculation.
    edited July 2013

LIES! :O It wasnt cats stuck up trees. It was Chuck Norris stuck up trees.

1trup.JPG
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Way back when GC had his own active chat channel, he did say that his intention was to make PvP not worth grinding... of course, this was in response to everyone grinding at PvP for the awesome purples and awesome power replacers.

Now we've got two pieces of PvP-focused gear that isn't all that great... and, HOW DELIGHTFULLY EXPECTED, PvP activity fell off of a cliff and was impaled on jagged sea rocks.

I don't think the release of legacy devices was intended to ruin PvP further. I just think it was a desperate moneygrab. Shame said desperate moneygrab put PvP even further in the hole, but that's just what it is.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Fight fire with fire. Except replace the word fire with speculation.

It isn't speculation really, just a fancier way of condensing and illustrating what happened over the years. Like this:

1. KOTH debacle. Ugh.

2. Dev actually says (out loud even), that pvpers concerns are largely irrelevant as they make up an insignificant portion of the playerbase. Now from a purely pragmatic standpoint, that might be alright if a little callous but....

3. Said boneheaded Dev is somehow missing something very important. Somehow manages not too notice the huge numbers of pvpers that flock to the PTS for testing. Doesn't realize he just shined off the people who were helping him test. Number of testers drops big time.

I could go on, but I just noticed something shiny in the sky outside, I'm getting my binoculars and going for a
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    Way back when GC had his own active chat channel, he did say that his intention was to make PvP not worth grinding... of course, this was in response to everyone grinding at PvP for the awesome purples and awesome power replacers.

Now we've got two pieces of PvP-focused gear that isn't all that great... and, HOW DELIGHTFULLY EXPECTED, PvP activity fell off of a cliff and was impaled on jagged sea rocks.

I don't think the release of legacy devices was intended to ruin PvP further. I just think it was a desperate moneygrab. Shame said desperate moneygrab put PvP even further in the hole, but that's just what it is.
    It isn't speculation really, just a fancier way of condensing and illustrating what happened over the years. Like this:

1. KOTH debacle. Ugh.

2. Dev actually says (out loud even), that pvpers concerns are largely irrelevant as they make up an insignificant portion of the playerbase. Now from a purely pragmatic standpoint, that might be alright if a little callous but....

3. Said boneheaded Dev is somehow missing something very important. Somehow manages not too notice the huge numbers of pvpers that flock to the PTS for testing. Doesn't realize he just shined off the people who were helping him test. Number of testers drops big time.

I could go on, but I just noticed something shiny in the sky outside, I'm getting my binoculars and going for a

These things sound much more plausible. Oh, sorry, I shouldn't reply though. My avatar, and all.
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited July 2013

1trup.JPG

I guess you could say its.....

CSIMiamiS4P204.jpg_30112007

Truck Norris
    edited July 2013

1trup.JPG

He's not stuck, he's slowly pushing that tree back into the ground because its shape offended him ( he hates liberals ).

edited July 2013
    oh wow i was about to close this thread... didnt expect it to grow 3 pages since i last saw it... i guess some ppl actually care. Anyways imma leave this open just for ppl to pass by and leave there comments. And heck some dev might take an interest in it... and give us an automated responce :D
    edited July 2013
    Btw pvp in CO died a little before "on alert" a large portion of the pvpers left the game icluding me...im back from 1 year away from the game and what do i c... immortality devices that are stackable and usable in pvp... which just proves my point.... pvp died a long time ago. And yeah that dev? That was saying pvp is not a concirn in this game? YEAH UR THE REASON WE LEFT...prolly...

The thing is this game has a gigantic pvp potential... i mean have u seen a more dynamic and flexible combat mechanics in an mmo when u dont just stand there and wait for the other person to hit u back and hopefully u will survive? Yeah thats the 1st thing that gave me impression and made me play this game for over 2.5 years. If someone would just take a closer look on pvp i beleve we would have alot more players playing.

I might still continue with my sub.... for now... till it goes completely to s*** and this will be verry soon im sure.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    oh wow i was about to close this thread...

Hi Trailturtle... no, you aren't TT... how were you planning on closing the thread?

Smoochan: It isn't binary. There are options other than "want to improve PVP" and "want to destroy PVP". It's more likely that they weren't thinking of PVP in either capacity when they made these decisions.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    how were you planning on closing the thread?
    Press the [x] button right up on windows !!!!
    x-all-the-things-meme-generator-press-all-the-buttons-e0741a.jpg
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Look I found a happy picture of Smoochan. Or maybe it's a sarcastic smile. :D

o0k.gif

Imagine how many complaints we had if there was no PvP? How many power fixes there would be and how many nerfs they would implement? I think no one gives a crap in PvE if something makes you immortal for a while or makes you deal insane DPS.

"Hey guys I dealt a bit too much damage with this power I used" - said no one ever (PVE)

If something is clearly broken (like throwing blades) then yes, they need to fix it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
    edited July 2013
    pallihwtf wrote: »
    Look I found a happy picture of Smoochan. Or maybe it's a sarcastic smile. :D

Happiness is corn.
    hqdefault.jpg