test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Complaint thread, no defenders allowed

smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
A little experiment.

List things that you dislike about CO, things that you think the developers have done wrong.

If you read what is written in this thread and feel like you disagree with it, don't post. Do not post any defense, rationalisation, or reasoning for any of these complaints and why you think they are invalid or forgivable. Do you have the willpower to do it? Let's see if you can keep your ego in check, or if you have to give in :)

Here's what I dislike most:

Lack of active dodging - I feel like this game could make amazing use of needing to dodge stuff; Gravitar showed us this potential, and I wish they had run with the concept rather than shy away from it. Leaving my defense in the hands of a random number generator makes me nervous.

No new alerts - I like alerts, and I wish they had made some new ones; not just new bosses, but new fight mechanics and entirely new styles of alerts. Alerts are the most fun I've had in CO, but it gets tough doing something that has almost no mechanics involved over and over and still maintain interest.

Abandonment of pvp - I remember I used to have fun pvping here. Shortly after On Alert, that fun started dwindling, and then it died outright. They just completely ignored the effect that anything had on pvp, and it became a mess; the worst side effect of these choices is the effect it had on the players themselves and how they would interact with one another.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
Post edited by smoochan on

Comments

• kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    - Weird costume piece restrictions in certain categories... How come I can't have big fluffy forearm fur while wearing a 90s jacket an why is are those goofy tube bracers the only exception to this?

- A lot of offensive passives don't really have a whole lot in the way of defense. I know it kinda defeats the purpose of an offensive passive, but I'd like to be able to run into a fight with Targeting Computer and have some sort of comfort knowing that I won't die straight away.

- Costume pieces that are invisible at some angles. Like how somehow the little chin clothe for the Persian headband disappears the moment you turn the camera around.
  • glop#4587 glop Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    May as well post here as I posted in the praise thread and parity is king. This seems a fitting place (no rebuttals allowed, thanks OP) to voice my dislike for the invisible gear system. It seems popular here, but it has taken quite a bit out of my leveling experience. Staring at an XP bar is all well and good, but there's just something about watching a character's look evolve from scrub gear to higher tiers that motivates continued play. I can emphasize with the customization lobbying, it's clearly a staple of the game and the options are cool looking. I think DC Universe Online does do a bit of a better job of compromising in this department, offering (expanded) appearance customization after gear is earned through gameplay. But that's just a gear fan's POV.
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd hoped to see the Nemesis system greatly expanded as the game evolved. I feel it's one of the more compelling and unique features of CO, and I'd love to see new nemesis personalities, new ability sets, fully customizable minions and new storylines.

The environments in the game are really well done and cover a pretty good range of terrain types. I'd hoped to see many more fantastic maps added over time.

I agree with the notion that dodge being all math-based is less dynamic than a more reactive system could be.

We haven't had any new costume sets since Nighthawk was introduced. Character customization is what keeps me coming back, and new costume sets are one of the things I'm usually willing to purchase Zen beyond my Lifetime Sub stipend in order to get.

The difficulty system could use some rethinking. I'd like the daily Unity missions to be challenging for a well-equipped and built level 40 on Elite. People can always drop the difficulty if it's too hard, but right now there's nothing higher than Elite, and it's a cakewalk for me even on some of my less optimized builds.

Destructible environments could be expanded. I love picking up and throwing things, but I'd love to punch someone through a wall now and then. Or just break through a wall.

I don't love lockboxes. I don't hate them, but I prefer to know what I'm getting for my money.

I don't like that rank 8 and 9 mods are such a weak boost.
    The lack of bug fixes, such as the queen beyond the pale action figure's arm tassel being ike 5 inches away from her body floating in mid-air.

The removal of costume part from before on alert

The incredible rare drop rate of Alert Boss costume drops

The fact that these lockboxes never recycle thier content to the drifter, Q, or Z store after thier discontinued
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I dont like the lack of low level content. Killing Poe for the thousandth time gets old. Kind of stems alts.

Lack of good old pure fun nothing serious PvP. Seems like PvP is a headache either caused by mechanics or players not able to take a loss, which is less than just about any other game especially pvp centric ones I;ve come across. No loss of gear, no loss of level no loss of powers so I dont get the anger over losing a fight.

The player ran chat ban system-Good idea on paper, not good in reality. Come on, seriously should have been seen from a mile away the problems that is. If there isnt enough mods to enforce some of the rules, then get rid of the rules.

Where is the tech support?

Some new costume items would be nice even weapon skins. I noticed a lot of weapons skins that have been discontinued. Bring them back. They already been made, so putting into the game shouldnt be an issue even if they are just added as standard already unlocked skins.

The challenging scale needs some work. It's annoying to finally reach level 39/40 levels and everythign is conning white. As is, even the top level diff level is cakewalk at 40 with everything conning white or less and a few con yellow. Come on, there should still be some red and purples in there. It's like I get all powerfu land reach highest level for nothing to find everything easier than it was than when I was level 35 or 36. At least give otpion to actually crank up the heat.

Bugs. Know not all bugs can be fixed immediately or some may not be effectively fixed at all, but fix something instead of adding temp events that do nothing but add bugs. Bugs are nto one of those things that a person can close their eyes and all of a sudden they go away. What are they waiting for? the entire game to crash under the weight of bugs then say it's too much to fix? It wouldnt be too much to fix if they fixed them as they pop up instead of waiting until it gets unmanageble. Tech support 101 I always thought but I gues I was wrong.
  • akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lack of ish' to do...well that and lacking/forgotten powersets and neglected nemesis content.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For me personally its how they drop something into the game then after the initial bug fix or two, never touch it again. This kind of encompasses everything from powers like cape glide, to content like vehicles or bases. The usually promise or hype it as this super cool thing with all these feature, but after the initial addition, they really don't do anything to improve them. A lot of the times on that initial addition they're not even what we were told. Kind of like the vehicles only being become devices for the prototype stage, or how our hideouts were supposed to have things added to them later on (some of which is already all there, we just can't access it), Or how the nemesis feature was supposed to be this big huge thing that was the future of the game, then they never really did anything with it other than just ignore it.
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Okay I gave the game my points of praise in the other thread...might as well bust out my complaints about this game now....

10. The absolute lack of communication between the developers, techs, and even the producer...Not Bashing on TT cause he's kind of awesome, What I mean is we get reports of this other team of Developers called Cryptic: North and they don't even have the courtesy to pop in and say hey I'm so-and-so, I'm such-and-such...you get the idea...

09. The removal of functional content, I'm talking about the old R&D crafting system I absolutely loved that system of crafting...now I don't think I can call what we have a proper crafting system...

08. The lack of bug fixes and updates to the Nemesis System. Seriously I haven't been able to see the henchmen when creating/editing a Nemesis in over a year now. And the Nemesis system its self hasn't been updated to include the Earth and Wind Sets or any of the new powers that have been introduced since and according to the Ask Cryptic there are no plans to do so despite it being talked about in the UNTIL report...but then again that was a year ago so....I doubt Stokeman's still involved anymore anyway...

07. The lack of bug fixes to power interactions....With Dual Pistols the anime pistols the muzzle flash is off by 90 degrees and has been for awhile. When using blast powers that use the double fist animation (see Infernal Blast for example) when charging the power the balls of energy are 90 degrees to the right of both outstretched hands. Again been that way for awhile.

06. The dashed hopes of being able to level higher than 40 (looks at the UNTIL Report again) and no new zones to explore....

05. No new Power Sets have been developed since Night Hawk (the new Telepathy powers don't count they were started before Nighthawk). And I'm not counting Rimefire Blast or Redirected Force as they are just additions to existing sets. What I mean by new sets are the Energy Manipulator Melee power Sets, a Sonic or Water, or Plant or even a Fighting Staff power set that I and several others have wanted to see included in this game for a very long time now.

04. No new Costume sets are being introduced for direct purchase from either the Q or Z stores.

03. The abandonment of the Recognition Vendors. The Demon, Fire Demon and Lemurian costume pieces still fail to unlock on an account wide basis. They are the perfect location for placing the legacy weapon costume pieces (which can quite easily be removed from their power replacers as has been proven with the Legacy Costume box in the Drifter Store).

02. The failure to keep promises. The winner of the design a villain contest's designs still haven't made their way into the game (there was a brief test and then poof). So where's the new Rampage Alert we were told about....

And My absolute number one complaint for this game is....

01. Incomplete Power Sets groups of powers within a Set....For Example, Munitions is without a dedicated passive and there are numerous ideas for some in the suggestion box just waiting to be spun into gold. The lack of away to refresh the particle burn from the laser swords....
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I hate that one can have a freaking viking beard and not a normal goatee. I also hate the fact that I brought this up in an ask cryptic and they said they would look into it and nothing ever came of it. That is rediculous. Something that should be an easy adjustment... wait this is CO...never mind.

I dislike that CO has been neglected to the state it is in.

I dislike that the crafting locations were shutdown and only a few were reopened.

I dislike that we have no SG bases...still.

I dislike that hideouts were only halfway done then deserted. Go to the moon base and open the dome. Then go out side and fly around. You will see what I am talking about.

I hate that everything I am currently posting, what people have posted, and what people will post will most likely go completely in noticed and will not reach anyone who cares because these forums are constantly ignored.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited July 2013
    I also dislike that we do not have a background system for our characters.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No additions of any meaningful, permanent content whether it be new zones, new contacts with new story arcs, or updates to the Nemesis system.

The focus on half-hearted temporary events centered around lockboxes.

The lack of any communication from Cryptic.

The cartoonish art style.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Lockboxes. Lockboxes need to go back to the grade-school-carnival grab-bag purgatory that spawned them, along with whoever decided that this would now be the way new stuff was introduced. My Zen are precious to me - I need more costumes, I need more character slots, and until I can afford to go Gold again, I need more ATs. But you want me to blow a hundred Zen a pop to open a box - a box more than likely loaded with crap I never wanted in the first damn place. (I have a Hawkwing someone gave me once; I have a Tsunami tank that dropped from the Lemurian event. Blackwing and Spider-Bat trade the Hawkwing back and forth as an easy way to get around. I've never equipped the tank. And the only times I've ever used the 'wing's weapons were in the Lemurian Event, and once when I had to clear a hot LZ in Canada. I don't want any stupid Mods.)

I inherited this laptop from my roommate, who used to use it to play WoW and EVE Online. He could play for hours with no issue. How come this thing starts to overheat if I play for more than twenty minutes on any Cryptic title?

Stupid limitations of costume parts. As someone mentioned above, for instance, you can't combine, say, the Half-Helmet with a regular goatee, even though that would look awesome on a couple of my toons. You can use that dumbass braided goatee, but seriously, who wants to look like they've got goat horns growing out of their chin? Look, guys, don't worry about clipping. Let me worry about clipping. You let people use tails and capes together, even though there's no way to do that without clipping, right? Why limit my options in other areas? Maybe I want my wolf's ears to poke up through the top of a hood!

The abrupt removal of both the Desert and Canada as alternate leveling paths at the beginning. Okay, move one of them, I can see that; there were people complaining that there was nothing to do starting in the teens, and yes, it's good to find a way around that. But now you've made both of them available at 15, and only at 15. And once one Crisis has been cleared, we're urged to go straight to the other one, even though there's still a lot to do here. Meanwhile, we all have to do the stupid Purple Gang garbage in Westside - every single time we start a new toon, which is supposed to be part of the fun of this game. Why not present me at the beginning with the option of, say, reporting to FBI Special Agent Kodiak in Westside or PRIMUS Colonel Whatshisface at Project Greenskin? Then once I've cleared one of those, give me the option of continuing in this area or taking on the other one. Then, at 15, if we don't want to keep leveling in the areas we're at, there's this mystic storm near Kigatilik's Tomb, and Steelhead Division is looking for some help...

Oh, and I almost forgot my biggest gripe of all. What's the biggest draw this game has? Take a look in the other thread, and you'll see - it's customization. All the options available, and the fact that you can buy even more. So, how is this dealt with after the PWE takeover? The so-called "streamlined" character creator, that hides better than half the options (I'm tempted to go as high as 80%) from the player until you reach level 10! And even when you reach this exalted level, it's not like there's a popup or a message in your mail telling you to check at the tailor to see what your options are these days - no, if someone hasn't told you that these options have opened up, you're probably going to spend the rest of your (short, frustrating) time in CO saying, "How did that guy make that costume? And what's this about buying new Archetypes?" (Yes, that's right, you don't even get to see the fact that there are C-store options for character creation until you have a toon hit level 10.) This has to be hands-down the stupidest decision I've seen in gaming since the introduction of the Psion in AD&D 1st Edition.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The dearth of meaningful challenge.

Poor power/game balance.

Player driven chatban system.

Lack of depth to the nemesis system.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Lockboxes. Lockboxes need to go back to the grade-school-carnival grab-bag purgatory that spawned them, along with whoever decided that this would now be the way new stuff was introduced. My Zen are precious to me - I need more costumes, I need more character slots, and until I can afford to go Gold again, I need more ATs. But you want me to blow a hundred Zen a pop to open a box - a box more than likely loaded with crap I never wanted in the first damn place. (I have a Hawkwing someone gave me once; I have a Tsunami tank that dropped from the Lemurian event. Blackwing and Spider-Bat trade the Hawkwing back and forth as an easy way to get around. I've never equipped the tank. And the only times I've ever used the 'wing's weapons were in the Lemurian Event, and once when I had to clear a hot LZ in Canada. I don't want any stupid Mods.)

I inherited this laptop from my roommate, who used to use it to play WoW and EVE Online. He could play for hours with no issue. How come this thing starts to overheat if I play for more than twenty minutes on any Cryptic title?

Stupid limitations of costume parts. As someone mentioned above, for instance, you can't combine, say, the Half-Helmet with a regular goatee, even though that would look awesome on a couple of my toons. You can use that dumbass braided goatee, but seriously, who wants to look like they've got goat horns growing out of their chin? Look, guys, don't worry about clipping. Let me worry about clipping. You let people use tails and capes together, even though there's no way to do that without clipping, right? Why limit my options in other areas? Maybe I want my wolf's ears to poke up through the top of a hood!

The abrupt removal of both the Desert and Canada as alternate leveling paths at the beginning. Okay, move one of them, I can see that; there were people complaining that there was nothing to do starting in the teens, and yes, it's good to find a way around that. But now you've made both of them available at 15, and only at 15. And once one Crisis has been cleared, we're urged to go straight to the other one, even though there's still a lot to do here. Meanwhile, we all have to do the stupid Purple Gang garbage in Westside - every single time we start a new toon, which is supposed to be part of the fun of this game. Why not present me at the beginning with the option of, say, reporting to FBI Special Agent Kodiak in Westside or PRIMUS Colonel Whatshisface at Project Greenskin? Then once I've cleared one of those, give me the option of continuing in this area or taking on the other one. Then, at 15, if we don't want to keep leveling in the areas we're at, there's this mystic storm near Kigatilik's Tomb, and Steelhead Division is looking for some help...

Oh, and I almost forgot my biggest gripe of all. What's the biggest draw this game has? Take a look in the other thread, and you'll see - it's customization. All the options available, and the fact that you can buy even more. So, how is this dealt with after the PWE takeover? The so-called "streamlined" character creator, that hides better than half the options (I'm tempted to go as high as 80%) from the player until you reach level 10! And even when you reach this exalted level, it's not like there's a popup or a message in your mail telling you to check at the tailor to see what your options are these days - no, if someone hasn't told you that these options have opened up, you're probably going to spend the rest of your (short, frustrating) time in CO saying, "How did that guy make that costume? And what's this about buying new Archetypes?" (Yes, that's right, you don't even get to see the fact that there are C-store options for character creation until you have a toon hit level 10.) This has to be hands-down the stupidest decision I've seen in gaming since the introduction of the Psion in AD&D 1st Edition.

Quoted for Truth, Justice, and the Captain Americlown way :tongue:
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Moving map objects not fixed for ages.

Map 'holes' aren't fixed for a long time.
    As someone who made a lot of maps and had to fix those damn holes, this irks me.

Textures left sloppily unaligned. Same story.

Keys don't always respond when they should. Block is notorious for this.
    Auto fire will immediately attack someone when I disable it.

Using a healing device will get me killed the moment it activates.
    It won't even activate as I click it multiple times when there's still time to live.
    Nope it waits for that final blow, activates, puts heals on cooldown, and I die.

Targeting can be totally unpredictable.
    Why are you shooting that dude 180 degrees off my screen auto fire? Why?
    Why am I still shooting that guy 100 feet away instead of the guy I just clicked on, who is highlighted with a targeting reticle?

Block disables my mind sprites before enemy contact, that is so much bull its a rodeo.

People look for teams, cant' get teams, leave.
    There should be a system to guide lowbie content. Instead of running to NPCs or popping the crime computer open or finding citizens to save, Que for a team and get popped right into mission after mission until you choose to 'return to social zone" button at the end of the mission instead of pressing the "remain with this team" or "find new team "buttons. Right? right.

Paying for new character slots after going silver doesn't get you new character slots, just pays for those slots you rented while gold. Its like $40 to fill the gap before you get an actual new slot. What? bite me.
    Deleting a character deletes a whole slot even if you bought dozens of slots. Someone needs to be punched for that.

They don't advertise and their promotions are lame.

The players are weird, where do they find these people?

The godforsaken "help me I'm down button", jeeezus.
    Why give us that button and no resurrect potions to drink and pee on the people who spam that?

Telling people about the crime computer six levels before they can use it.
    People don't retain that information.

The on alert documentation spam. Its awful. Maybe make it available on the website.
    But popping it up in after tutorial? BARF.

I'm sick of all these motherfilming cut scenes on this plane!
    Forum Malvanum was Forum make me pull my hair out.
    And the Indy in Indy Kid stands for "I Nearly Died Yawning" from Red Winter cut scenes.
    I swear that Red Winter guy is saying "I bet you $20 we'll kill a dozen players a day from boredom with this cut scene" in Russian. I had a 30 minute class in Russian in 1983, so I'm probably right.

Demo_record feature isn't a full blown app, with documentation, and user made plugins.

There is no note system in the social setup.
    I have no idea when I met people, what we played, if it went well or not. No clue.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The cartoonish art style.

This has always bugged me. While COH didn't seem too cartoony, this game went above and beyond. Yes we get fingers and facial expressions, and various other things, it all seems like a joke art wise in comparison to actual comic books or how characters look in Star Trek Online, and in STO, they're too lazy to even finish the skins. Seriously, they all stop at the neck except for 3, and most of the costume options really highlight that.

one of the things DCUO has over this is Most of it's art assets are based on Jim Lee's artwork, while DCUO is still cartoony in some aspects, i would LOVE for this game to update its models to be more in line with STOs character styles.

Another gripe is customization. This game is built around customization, yet Cryptic as a whole has been wandering away from this single aspect which has made their games great. Just look at NW and how little say you get in your Character, especially given that it's based on D&D which is all about making and playing your own character. It seems like we're not getting as much out of this game as we should be. Vehicles aren't as customizable as they should be, we've never had any additions to the Nemesis system to better customize our villains or their minions, we should be getting way more things to customize three years in. I should have way more options for how my pets look, i should have way more powers with emanation points as well as way more emanation points in general (weapon points anyone?) Instead we're getting broken minievents, lockboxes, vehicles that we can't change the looks of, and a lot of overhyping on the few things we do get.

I'm really hoping that Cryptic North gets in to the spirit of customization and starts adding more of it into the game as well as new ways to do it.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    content is anemic. I got a lifer back before launch because i say how well supported coh was. 3 issues a year..ok, they occasionally gamed the definition of a year a bit at times, but the issues were real things that added new things. So i assumed that "hey i played coh for 5 years, a lifer would be a great deal, ill get all this content for an upfront hit... champions has had maybe 2 content additions that i would put on par with issues in its entire miserable life. and they tried to charge us extra for that.

seriously cryptic seems like a sweatshop churning out mmos with no idea in hell about how to actually support their customers past the launch. and pwe has only added to the neglect by bringing in the miserable hellspawn of the worst low budget Chinese grinders the lock box/the thing that you will not win, and you will continue to not win what you want so that they can shake you down for money without giving you something meaningful in return.

and the sheer naked gall of how they slam everything that they put their meager art resources into lock-boxes would be funny if it weren't so sad. they are incredibly lucky coh closed down because if there was a serious option for people to go to, this hysterical farce would have been as bereft of any players as it currently is of developers.

and reloaded was like some rube goldberg-ian machine designed to slap customers in the face with a multi spoke wheel with little Micky mouse gloves on it.

i man seriously, the second some game came out that did not treat us like we were in a long term committed relationship with flavor flav this farce of a development schedule would never stand.

this game really does have potential but its handling by cryptic is a sick, sad joke.
  • guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good honest thread. We need more of these.

The entirely cohesive approach to game mission content annoys me. As soon as something seems like it won't do anything it is abandoned for another approach and never revisited, unless the new game director wants to.

The implantation of mod crafting. The entire crafting system was gutted for it and while it has some nice features and usage (I Like my mods) its just a glorified enhancement system from City of Heroes, It is just not on the individual power. That and if you were not at the max crafting level you are level gated for each crafting node to upgrade your power over time. So my level 99 crafting guy can't open anything outside of Westside in MC or Burnside in the Desert. That and the Random "hey you lost a mod" is annoying.

The lack of anything relevant to do at level 40 outside of an event mission that is not permanent .

No new story content I count story content as anything at the level of Vibora bay Crisis, Deamonflame, Resistance, Whiteout and Aftershock.

No usage of the new mechanics developed for Gravtar in any other part of the game.
    Why don't the cosmics don't use this stuff?

I don't like that anything that is supposed to be fun and new cannot be done alone.
    Why do I need to force team to finish Nighthawk or any of the final mission event content or any crisis? I have been trying to do the Leimurian crisis for at least 6 months. I really don't like that. Teaming is fine, when I want to do it.

The randomization of a lock box. If I pay money I want to know that I am buying what I am paying for.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My only real issues right now:

The abandoned Nemesis system

Everything about Hideout customization. (My first regretted purchase since I bought a cave after the space station.) No more usefulness beyond the account bank.

Whiteout never getting an honest complete version. *comics abandoned in general

Everything about Vehicles except their luxury flight speed. No one could have guessed they were going to be the way they were, except for being a become device. Which they specifically said they wouldn't be.

Until Carrier Defense having only vehicle mod rewards. Ouch.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've mostly abandoned this game, but figured I'd respond to these threads.

Obvious stuff:
    Devs (well, PW) mostly abandoning this game.
    What development IS done is stuff most of us don't care about or actively dislike.

Vehicles, and let me break this into a separate rant:
    The #1 problem I have with vehicles is actually thematic, not gameplay. What vehicle does Superman, Green Lantern, Daredevil, Thor, Doctor Strange, and the Hulk commonly use?
    Exactly.

If there was some special widget (amulet/power focus/whatever) that would bridge existing travel powers to the vehicle system, great.

But as it is you are forced to a limited range of theme if you want to take part in the vehicle content. That SUCKS.

Lockboxes
    I can accept having lockboxes, but what really chuffs me is how focused they are on crud I don't give two s*ts about (like mods). They also need stuff like STO has, dropping some whatevers per box that can be used to get really exciting stuff.
    (I'm not sure, maybe drifter salvage drops? But the list of drifter salvage stuff is limited)

Lack of Foundry.
    I know that's a dead horse, but if there was _any_ genre that is so utterly perfect for creating missions with teams of enemies dressed in matching appearances you've lovingly sculpted, it's superheroes.
    It would, IMO, single-handedly resurrect the game, and every time I even think about logging in its absence depresses me and I move on.

Nemesis
    A good start of an idea, utterly abandoned and creakily broken.
    Hey, I can write an exciting bio to give my Nemesis some context woefully lacking from having only three Nemesis types.
    Oh hey, NOBODY else can ever read that bio. That's fan-fuggingtastic.

And hey, it's one of the more unique elements of this game, and the devs have stated they have 0 plans on ever doing anything to fix it or expand it.

F2P freeform
    I used to think 'well, of COURSE f2p is much more limited.' After seeing the success of other f2p games (by Cryptic, no less), I think it's a massive mistake.
    Say, for example, you have someone who is losing interest in the game. They don't feel that subscribing is really worth it, but are still kind of interested in the game, so they go silver...
    And now they not only have to juggle the horrible silver<>gold character conversion thing, the weird way silver vs. gold slots work (again, compared to STO, even), but they also remove power coloring and freeform, to boot.

Instead of perhaps limping along and contributing to the population and interest in the game, they are stripped of some of the elements of the game that actually work and are fun (IE: creating distinct looks and thematic combinations of powers).

It's like having a customer who is losing interest and you decide to just shove them out the door.

Plus a lot of what other folks have said.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The 3 B's.
    Brawn. To lift this game where it should be.
    Brains. To make this game where it should be.
    Balls. To make 2 above happen.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Vehicles. Devices. The advantages ranged characters have over melee characters. The fact that PvP, and the game as a whole have pretty much been abandoned. The community seems pretty immature at times, even with an older playerbase. Free to play - I do encourage MMO's to go F2P, but in my opinion introducing Archetypes was the worst decision ever made for this game.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There are soooo many things.

How Hideouts were rolled out. I never liked it. Think for a second, if the hideouts were made foundry style (or like CoX SG bases), how long would you still be coped up in there trying to make each and every hideout just as individual as your hero? What do we have now? A flashy bank. We haven't even had any more. Tumer got moved and.. just.. ugh.

Our Devs move like water, which is fine in most circumstances, except for when they are responsible for certain key and still evolving systems in Champions Online. Robobo was about to make things move and Cryptic moved him leaving us in the mess we're in now. Everything stopped when he left and most of our devs probably moved too. We barely have GMC back and well... that's been slightly bittersweet.

Vehicles could have been so much more, just like hideouts. After the Hideouts came out I was under no illusion that they would make Vehicles great. I certainly had hoped but I half-heartedly watched as they stayed exactly how they first popped up on PTS with addition to a few slots. Vehicles had single handedly been the worst rolled out thing in all of Champions Online. NOT customizable (even the color can't be changed) and they attained overpriced on the zen store or through gambling. The best way to sell vehicles? Give one out for free. Give us a temporary version even. Give out a free key. Just one. If we know how "good" or "fun" they are then we'd be more willing to buy. I'd be willing to bet that a majority of players have never touched vehicles mainly because of how you're supposed to attain them. If Cryptic had the moral fiber to extend out that branch I bet vehicles would be better received. Sure, we had that Lumerian tank... but they lowered the chance of it dropping from the 1 in 10 chance. That doesn't really count when they weren't even willing to give us the new chance to obtain one.

Nemesis system hasn't been expanded on since launch. Which is ironic since that was one of its launching points. It could be so much more. Robobo had said giving the Nemesis system expanded missions would be like working on several Comic Series. Trust me when I say it would be worth it.

No foundry.

No new stances.

Lack of ability to organize your character select screen however you want.

No new zones.

No dev communication.

No marketing. Seriously. Champs has ZERO MARKETING. They launched that game card thing for PWE games. I looked through the games it had listed. Guess which one wasn't listed? Champs. I mean COME ON CRYPTIC. HOW DO YOU EXPECT THINGS TO TURN IF YOU AREN'T EVEN WILLING TO INVEST IN A STUPID AD?!?!? *breathes* I think that's it.. for now >.>

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    -Chat Ban System. Absolutely, without a doubt, the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a video game. The only thing stupider is the fact it didn't get squashed in the first year. I've seen people praise and give merit to a lot of things I hate, and I accept that. I've never seen something so reviled by so many, and get a 'working as intended' response. That was almost like giving me the finger.

-General Theme/Setting. The actual Champions setting in the Hero System is not my favorite, but I could make do if I had to. It feels less like a superhero game, and more like a parody of superhero games. Even worse is the fact that its not funny 95% of the time, so it honestly feels more like I'm being made fun of for playing this. Couple this with the fact that there's a few serious missions, even one where all the Champions die- and there's still no shortage of cornball humor that just comes off as distasteful. It's kinda hard for me to do battle with the world-ending Kings of Edom and take it seriously when I'm half expecting one of them to fart confetti and give me a purple nurple.

-Costume 'Clipping' restrictions. I say let us worry about what clips. Won't beat this dead horse.

-Sorcery powerset is huge, everything else is half the size. If I wanted sorcery to be the focus, I'd go play Neverwhatever. Other powersets need to be expanded.

-Stupid Grinwolf heads. They look terrible, and I dislike furries already (The character type, not people.), and seeing these reinforces that feeling.

-A Dev team that can't greet the playerbase after 6 months, just a simple greeting. It's already proven that they don't respond to nice or rude, so I take that as 'middle fingers to all'.

-No expansion in sight. I would rather not get these mini-mission arcs and get actual playable zones/expansions. I'd even pay for them outright.

-Lockboxes replacing C-store options.

-Lack of facial options to effectively create minorities that don't look like offensive Caucasians mimicking them.

-Metal-only pieces, Cloth-only pieces, leather-only pieces.

-Costume parts in categories that don't make sense (Holo hex 'eye accessory' could easily be a side accessory)

-Content that requires either a flight power or vehicle.

-Taking away costume pieces and forcing us to gamble for them through Drifter if we want them (An average costume piece will cost around $25-$30)

-Rushed powersets (Telepathy).

-God-Awful Power Armor animations.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1) The art ingame. Bodies. Proportions. Cars. Buildings. Plants. Everything is so......ick. Hard to play something I can't stand looking at.

2) Horrible voice acting. Five minutes in the very first time playing, I turned off the sound.

3) If you're going to use Champions as the IP...why not follow the PnP game combat and character creation rules? Why this esoteric formula that just muddies the waters?

4) Chat ban. I've never been victim to it, thankfully...but that makes it no less horrible or abuse-ridden.

5) Vehicles. So poorly done, yet so much potential.

6) Hideouts. Hell, even DCUO did it better. Because they at least CARE a little.

7) The next to nonexistent development.

8) A team that can't even roll out a temporary event without breaking a simple thing like emotes.

9) Craptic. 'Nuff said.

10) Jack Emmert.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    I also dislike that we do not have a background system for our characters.

Just curious here, what exactly do you mean by a background system?
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Basically all of the reasons already listed here.

This game has lots and lots of potential.

Unfortunately the studio is too involved in navel-gazing and chasing their next McMMO hack to actually DO anything to realize the potential.

Because that would require work, and money. They'd rather milk it.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    one of the things DCUO has over this is Most of it's art assets are based on Jim Lee's artwork, while DCUO is still cartoony in some aspects, i would LOVE for this game to update its models to be more in line with STOs character styles.

I've always been somewhat indecisive about the cartoonish style of this game. I often think I have no issue with it, until I play a good round of dcuo, then I find myself wishing CO wold look like that, so I'm pretty much agree with this sentiment. I shouldn't find myself wanting when I play that game and yet I do.

As for other stuff, I also agree with everything said in this thread thus far.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    enixonbb wrote: »

I would imagine a more in depth bio making interface instead of just "Type what you want."
    The hero PnP games I played had all kinds of details for your character when rolling them up, where are they from, whats their income, how much education do they have, what special training do they have, what hobbies, insanities, quirks and deformities.

Someone can make that stuff in another software and have it spit out the HTML for bios.
    If someone cared to do it. Aw too bad Champions Online didn't get mentioned on This page
    Now if the character creator was in a web browser, I bet it would be.
    So while I'm here I"ll rage against the non web accessible super feature of the game.
    edited July 2013
    What I would love as 'background':

Robotic
    Toxic resistance
    Chance of being stunned/slowed/confused when hit by electrical attacks.

(Or whatever)

It bugs me that I can be a decentralized psychic fungal colony but I am affected exactly like everyone else in the game is.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I forgot to mention the removal of the crafting system. I really liked that I could customize my gear that way, and would have enjoyed seeing that further developed.
    I forgot to mention the removal of the crafting system. I really liked that I could customize my gear that way, and would have enjoyed seeing that further developed.

Oh, good call. Both here and in STO, the crafting systems are completely useless. It would be nice being able to make gear that i can use in endgame since my crafting is maxed out, but sadly it's not really even worth bothering with at all.
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Oh, that's right! We wanted a crafting system that was more useful... not one that had been utterly gutted and vaguely resembles anything that could even begin to be called crafting. To top it off when they launched the new mod system they mixed up what science and mysticism did and still pushed it ahead despite being told it was a mistake.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

edited July 2013
    I am convinced that someone high up (maybe Jack Emmert?) at Cryptic loathes mmo crafting and begrudges crafters as stupid wankers wasting their time.

EVERY Cryptic game has HORRIBLE crafting systems.

edited July 2013
    Save for bags and weapon unlocks, the previous crafting system was worthless; though that was mostly due to the great idea, poor execution mantra. Very few games can actually pull off a decent and interesting crafting system (i.e. Dark Cloud 2).
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would just like to say, this is a really great thread. :biggrin:
    I would just like to say, this is a really great thread. :biggrin:

Praise in our thread! Banish! Banish!!! D:<
    Save for bags and weapon unlocks, the previous crafting system was worthless; though that was mostly due to the great idea, poor execution mantra. Very few games can actually pull off a decent and interesting crafting system (i.e. Dark Cloud 2).

I heard rumors that the original crafting system was amazing (as in you could craft excellent gear). But that got nerfed to what we had before it was changed to mods. Apparently a lot of really good stuff was nerfed right before or after launch. Seems Champs has had trouble since the start :/ I wasn't there for any of that though. I started playing in the following January.

edited July 2013
    enixonbb wrote: »

What I mean is something similar to NWO. But for the Many who play none human character be able to pick from a list of types. Like demons, gods, elves and such. That way text can be changed to fit it and help with emersion. Like if I am playing a Werewolf or just a monster, and in the nemesis mission I get call a human, it kind'a sucks you out.

It would also be great to use with the Nemisis system and help create NPCs.
  • heroicsingerheroicsinger Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This game combat system is only DPS, Tanking and Self Healing.. and most builds do all of these

Anything else is broken.

Crowd Control
    Stealth
    Debuffs
    Team Buffs
    Movement
    Targeting

It may as well be a turn based game at this point.
  • malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The lack of new world content.
    Permanent Content
    No more costumes in the Z-store
    LOCK BOXES
    The stupidity of the community at times.
    The total lack of communication.
    The Lazyness of the developer. MASTER VILLAIN DEFAULT
    Lack of things to do
    Old crafting system gone.
    BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS THAT WE HAVE BEEN REPORTING FOR YEARS THAT GET BYPASSED By ADDING MORE LOCKBOXES AND QUICK CONTENT.
    Removal of costume parts and weapons. Why is Therakiel's HW sword and Valerian's backhalo gone?
    No more Nemesis content updates
    "New content delivery system"
    "Working as intended"
    Westside as the only option for starting content. DON'T SAY ALERTS. NO ONE LIKES A LEVEL 6 DOING VALERIAN DOCKSIDE.
    No Foundry.
    Buggy Cutscenes. WHO NEEDS TO WALK WHEN WE CAN SLIDE!
    Unskipable Cutscenes

And last but not least

No fixes for more customization for Beast Heads. You did it for the Wolf and Bear heads with the Space bubble. You don't stop at 2.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,078 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2013
    No challenge.
    Questionable power balance.
    Powers not activating when I click them.
    Lack of player crowd control defense.
    Fall damage.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A feeling of lack of support from Perfect World. Despite the hard earned cash many of us have spent (and continue to spend) on the game.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Too much Lost Legacy weapon skins & costumes.
    edited July 2013
    Adding on another; bit of a personal deal, but the lack of a real powerhouse battle station (fighting nems and alts) and custom sidekicks (for those that make characters in relation to each other). Missing out on some serious free money there, Crypts.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    all the players don't cooperate with me driving them sane
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Another one that bugs me is how some TPs are still sorta bugged graphically. For example, Shadow Skull Flight is kind of pivoted to the side like a dog trying to understand what you're saying or trying to fire off charged ranged powers while using Ice Slide and my character ends up in a boobs n' butt pose during the charge. I'd kinda like to look more badass than like I've had my spine twirled around.

I still find it annoying that there's a lot of unused animations for melee powers. I hate being teased like this.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Broken mechanics like Crowd Control.

Power sets not staying in theme with their original function.

Over supporting content geared towards DPS.

Lack of team based play.

Lack of content for level 40s.

Broken Promises to the player base.

Power sets potential not being drawn upon, so much so that some are just out right neglected OR if anything is done about them they are either OP new powers and get a serious nerf (like Gadgeteering booms) or are seriously underwhelming and buggy and are pushed to LIVE (Like New Telepathy).

Minimal communication between Cryptic and player base outside of LordGar and TT.

In game bugs which shouldn't really still exist.

Lack of Crowd Control abilities which are useful in ALL situations.

Overabundance of defense against a dead/dying mechanic (Crowd Control)
    edited July 2013
    Ohh another popped up, since we're gonna nag em' about powersets; MA weapon styles. Unarmed MA feels like the only set in that column that actually feels finished; the others rely on shared powers and don't have enough on their own. At the very least, they could get their own blocks and lunges. Heck, the lunge animations are already there...dunno why they were never actually added.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Expanded complaint: Power Armor. I really want to like/use this set, but I feel like it could be much better.

Wrist Bolter/Blasters look stupid, and their effect looks really... cheesy. I'm fine with PA having some 'energy' attacks and some 'munition' attack, and this could be way cooler with the original beta arm blaster/bolter firing bullets, sort of like War Machine. The posture is poor as well, you look like you're hunkered over to take a dump, and when you hobble toward someone while firing, it's comical.

Tactical Missiles just looks like the hero is lazily aiming his arm in a forward direction. I get that this was trying to be 'Iron Man-ish', but it's just outright poorly executed. Not to mention, the 'weapon' looks like garbage, while the Cybernetic Ninja actually has something that looks like missiles tucked under a plate. Also, it fires from the left hand, which kinda sucks when you're using the energy shield with Phalanx Defense System.

Plasma Beam is cool as hell, but when you have concussor beams using both hands, it kinda... I dunno. I'd like Plasma Beam to be a two-handed 'Hadduken' effeck where it seems like your character is blasting tons of energy into this one devastating attack. Also is a left-handed attack.

Every Energy Sword attack is cheap, simply because the blade looks corny and half-assed. At least give some customization, or make this a candidate for the Cyber Ninja Sword. There's no reason this should be the only un-customizable weapon power set.

The set plays poorly with other powersets, and is an outright energy hog. It eats energy like a fat divorcee eats cake, and quite honestly- this is my 'telepathy'- I want it to be awesome, but I know it never will be.

And I'm not trying to sound like a demanding jerk, but the powers are very 'Iron Man' and 'War Machine' homages, but they just don't look epic enough.