test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Champions Alternate Lore: Champions Ultimate!

cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
For roleplaying in game, I had to come up with something. Until recently, I was quite ignorant of a lot of the history in the Champs Universe. Essentially, I had no idea how in-depth it was past 'Nazis unleashed magic, superheroes started popping up'. So I up and decided my character was from an Alternate universe. Then I figured I'd share the change with you guys. Feel free to throw this Earth into your multiverse.

Essentially, my idea was that if Champions Online was like the Silver/Bronze Age of Marvel Comics, this setting would be closer to the Marvel Ultimates continuity, with a splash of MAX.
In this reality:

1942: When the Nazis unleashed the magical forces that created 'Superhumans', most of the first generation super-powered individuals were PRIMUS and Thule Society operatives. Dr. Zerstroten (Destroyer) was one of the very few members of the Reich to escape capture at the Nuremberg Trials.

1945-1963: Over time, heroes began to appear in various locations- however, PRIMUS sought them out and 'recruited' them. Most tales of 'Super Powered Individuals' were treated like Urban Legends.

1960-1970: During the Vietnam War, government-sanctioned Superhumans were utilized for the first time during combat operations. The resulting catastrophe led to President Kennedy implementing the Alvarez Act- also known as the Superhuman Proliferation Act. It states 'Superhumans' and 'Superhuman-derived technology' cannot be used in conflicts, except as a last resort- and only if the other side uses them first, which effectively classified Superhumans as 'Weapons of Mass Destruction'. This act is adopted by the UN and implemented worldwide.

1970's-1992: Superhumans become more common in the media, and Government-Sanctioned superteams find their way into some degree of popularity. However, restricted to only tackling Superhuman threats- they remain powerless to effect anything on a global scale.

1993, Dr. Zerstroten resurfaced with an organized army of Superhumans that refused to surrender themselves to their own government- and assaulted Detroit, the location of PRIMUS headquarters. President Clinton authorized the activation of all Superhumans sanctioned and held by PRIMUS to counter the threat and protect civilian lives. The battle left most of the city destroyed, with Zerstroten's death unconfirmed.

1995: President Clinton offered several Superhumans the opportunity to operate without government sanction as recognition for their valiant efforts in defending civilians in the assault and rebuilding Detroit into the 'Millennium City'. The first group to become autonomous was called 'The Champions' and remained in Detroit. However, Superhumans were still restricted in their involvement in global conflicts, and could only assist in law enforcement matters.

2001: The tragic events of September 11, 2001 shocked the world. Many American Superhumans voiced their desire to assist in bringing justice to Al Qaeda but were denied and forced to provide 'moral support' and assist in ground zero aid.

2003: President Bush called upon the Champions in a plea to negotiate with Sadaam Huessein to flee Iraq and surrender all Weapons of Mass destruction. Infuriated, the Champions refused to be used as veiled threat to intimidate the enemies of the United States after being denied a role in taking on legitimate threats to the United States.

(Note: You may not want to use the rest of this if you don't like dystopian future realities- but it's here if you choose to use it).

2006: Anti-Superhuman sentiment begins to rise, as the Champions' refusal to take a role in halting the War in Iraq brings about negative perceptions of Superhumans. Various attacks against Superhumans bring about further complications, and this becomes far worse when Superhumans begin lashing back at their 'oppressors'.

2007: A global alliance of all Superheroes is called, and this united effort is dubbed the Protectorate. The Protectorate makes a global announcement: Cease all hostilities worldwide. This statement is interpreted as a threat. Across the world, nations initiate immediate lockdown of all Superhumans and prepare for war.

2008: The Protectorate begins attacking major governments and installing Superhumans in governing roles.

2009-now: The world lives in a relative peace under the authority of the Protectorate. As absolute power corrupts, Superhumans are deified and live a life of wanton hedonism as they divide the globe among themselves. Humans are disarmed. All former governments have been dissolved and replaced with 'The Mandate'. Religions have been outlawed, though many Superhumans enjoy quite literal Cults of Personality. Few rebellions have taken place, none have succeeded. The word 'Hero' slips away from the human vocabulary.

Notable differences:

-Magic is far less common, usually perceived as an unusual variation of some super power with its weird displays being explained as the manifestation of the user's psyche.

-Aliens have visited this version of Earth- this is not common knowledge. Encounters were covered up or have not yet been detected. Ironclad is believed to be a superhuman, nothing more.

-Super Tech, such as lasers and other high-science fiction items are less common among the public. However, pockets of human resistance have begun to acquire technology and use it.

-The Champions may or may not be alternate versions of those we know.

-This continuity is closer to 'real world' than Champions' current lore, so feel free to stop prior to the formation of the Pretectorate if you wish to use these ideas for your own main setting.
Post edited by cybersoldier1981 on

Comments

• Options
    onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So it's like our world, only with superheroes and some CO lore mixed in. Sick.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Ding. And if you want, it goes to hell in a handbasket.

I'll be 100% honest... not the biggest fan of CO's lore. It's a little too cheesy for me. Yes, even the REAL lore. I'm not a fan.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2013
    Well, Champions lore already is our world with superheroes mixed in. This variant simply a bit more down-to-earth.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well, Champions lore already is our world with superheroes mixed in. This variant simply a bit more down-to-earth.

Except no Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq war, etc...
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Marvel 616 has books like Runaways and New Mutants (Academy version) in the same world they have Avengers and X-Men books in the same world that they have Deadpool (the campiest of the camp).

The perspective people have of the Champions Universe being too camp comes from one place. I personally find the lore too "Dark and Mystic".. but then I go and look elsewhere and there's a team of street vigilantes that have nothing to do with magic.

Its foolish to think that you can define a entire Comic Book inspired universe by one thing. Comics are the nexus where all fantasy lore tends to meet. From Mages and Mystics, to Werelore and Faerie lore, to Military lore to Space Lore etc. This is also true with the Champions Universe.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2013
    Except no Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq war, etc...

I believe that those are omitted only because it's impossible to write source book about every event in history. However, Champions Universe goes to the great length in describing fall of Soviet Union and it's consequences in superhero world. It's very likely that details about modern conflits were simpy left to game masters running PnP campaigns.

My comment was aimed more at this:
    Because mixing real world and superheroes is obvious intention of creators of the Champions Universe.

I have fall od Soviet Union and wars in Caucasus already incorporated in biography of my UNTIL toon.
  • Options
    onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because mixing real world and superheroes is obvious intention of creators of the Champions Universe.

I have fall od Soviet Union and wars in Caucasus already incorporated in biography of my UNTIL toon.

Maybe so, but in the actual game there are no clues or pieces of information that CO's universe is our universe with CO's lore in it. Cybersoldier's alternate dimensions,world w/e is however, so I was commenting on how interesting that concept is, and how it reflects on both original CO universe and the one 'created' by him.

CO's universe could be an alternate dimension, where a ton of conflicts never happened since there are superheroes and such, that could prevent most of them, since there are no (at least I've never managed to find anything solid) facts that CO's universe is just how Cybersoldier described here.
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Interesting. :)

Definitely an interesting AU you have there. :)

Not sure if I'll use it myself, even though I, too, don't have much knowledge of the Champions Backstory.

Still, a very interesting concept there. :cool:
    76561198160276582.png