test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

There's something kind of nice about a game that doesn't change.

smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
As the title says, there's something kind of nice about a game that doesn't change or advance. After taking a several months break from CO, I decided to give it a shot and play again last night. I didn't have to ask "Hey, where do I go to do the new stuff?", because there isn't any new stuff; I know where everything is, and I was even telling newer players how to find things. I was able to instantly make a stupidly overpowered build with minimal thought and go in and start pounding the bajeezus out of wimpy npcs since there were no new powers or mechanics to consider, and nothing has changed about any of the powers that just work better. Also, all my gear is still relevant, and there isn't anything new to buy with questionite/zen, so I don't actually have to do anything... there's nothing I need to farm, and I could be just as "productive" if I went and knocked purple gang thugs around or went and pounded gravitar for a few minutes. I can literally do whatever I want, and I don't even have to care if I succeed or not because the rewards don't matter... It's great!

That other game, if I take too long of a break, I'd come back to having to ask questions about where the new stuff is, what sort of mechanics are involved, and relearn how to not fail all the stuff that can actually be failed. Which is great, I can go there if I need my fix for that sort of game, but it's nice to have the old shoe that is CO to come back to for winks and giggles. Kinda feels like those times you poke a baby toy for a few minutes just cause it looks colorful and fun.

So how'd that Forum Malvan thing go?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
Post edited by smoochan on

Comments

• scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Welcome back.

The Forum Malvanum was 'okay' at best.
    It was as easy as everything else in the game except for 1 fight against Duratok and Ironclad, which, due to the short timer and both of them having Defiance, meant the event boiled down to 'DPS or GTFO'.

In other news, from now on all future costume pieces will only have cloth textures available.
  • atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Buggy, low amount of resource drops for the main event (a short alert), the mid bosses were almost impossible with a pug group, costume drops were very rare despite the difficulty and they were broken and still are broken (no leather or metal texture).

Oh! We did have one new enemy type/skin during the final event. It was kind of cool. Even if they didn't do anything different. The boss was a new guy too, I guess.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Forum Malvanum was terrible. It was a boring slog through enemies, and a boring slog through two tough guys with Defiance on a timer, and then a boring slog through a boss that wishes he was Gravitar, not to mention it was time-consuming and the drop rates for goodies were too low. You waste your time and you get pocket change.

Glory unending!

And then Tatekyls backflips away...
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Obama_Less-Hope-No-Change-194x300.png

/like10charorsummingidontknowicantcountshutupyewsmell U_U"
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • had2mergehad2merge Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Reminds me of McDonalds.

Same ol menu.

Same stuff.

But if you get a Big Mac Attack, you drop by it.

Even though you know there isn't anything of any quality left to what they are offering, that hankerin for something familar kicks in.

Yet the Limited time only events remind me of the McRib.

Only here for a limted time.

No one knows when it will be around, but crowds rush to it once they find out it's here.

Granted a fair number leave with a bad taste in their mouth, but some will still praise it as the Geatest thing ev-ah!

Then it's gone.

And we go back to just driving past it, like before.
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yup.

/10BILLIONCHARS
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There were floating rings in the sky for a while that you could apparently race through.
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There were floating rings in the sky for a while that you could apparently race through.

No you couldn't. I tried with a not-level 40 character (and without a vehicle), and I didn't get to the 2nd ring before the race said "Failed". The "race" is just a conspiracy/spin-campaign. It's like the moon landing. Anybody who says they participated in a 'race' is just part of the government conspiracy. :cool: :biggrin:
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    it was a race that was generally difficult to do without a ranked up travel power or vehicle, and the alert invites unfortuante comparisons to the coh spring fling, which was fun and had lots of new art assetts. this was you beating up purple gang guys, viper and qularr . the kzah hounds looked nice.
  • thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What, the race was perfectly legitimate content in that even a newbie level 6 character could actually complete it with about one second to spare if they happened to have any, absolutely any travel power of their choosing with the word "jet" in the name. And that's if they used the course that was actually a sort-of-race, not a ****in'-admit-it's-a-scavenger-hunt-already!

The Alert, on the other hand, actually was open to everyone, even just out of the tutorial level 5 noobs without so much as a travel power, and through such inclusiveness served as a valueable demonstartion that you can absolutely be the hero you want to be in this game and still succeed, as long as you are level 35 or higher, high DPS, with proper self-heals, and bring 4 others of your ilk.

In other words, it sucked balls.
  • flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey, STO also had Air ring Races, and those where much better than what we got

also, anyone experiencing problems while browsing the forums?

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flechus wrote: »
    Hey, STO also had Air ring Races, and those where much better than what we got

also, anyone experiencing problems while browsing the forums?

hell, the current STO event has air "rings" to fly through that get you an endgame level ship.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    hell, the current STO event has air "rings" to fly through that get you an endgame level ship.
    But it's not a race. You have, like, forever to navigate three of the clearly-marked courses, with holographic lines pointing out the entire course, and no sudden hairpin turns between buildings marked solely by the angle of the ring you pass through just before the hairpin.

In other words, the Risan hoverpack event is much more fun than the Malvan race ever was.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I actually kind of liked the Forum Malvanum. It was at least halfway finished. Reminds me of how Whiteout tripped right before the finish line. It never got the polish it needed.

Some people will tell you that it was only two phases despite it being advertised as three. The extra race course counts as a whole second phase, right?

Regardless, if you take another break like this, by time you come back you won't see me on the forums anymore as that's when I pretty much quit caring. Just log in for when the updates come and play the 5 minutes it takes to catch up on the new content when it gets added every couple months.
    edited July 2013
    Part of me wonders why they won't put this poor horse out of its misery. Then the rest of me realizes that would just leave DCUO and the Diablo clone.
    edited July 2013
    bite your tongue. yeah im ticked at cryptic, but there are no other customizable superhero games...none. hell, im actually counting saints row 4 as a superhero game out of desperation. lets make some more @#$%ING first person shooters eh large game publishers?...i need to punch something...
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, we really need more of those :rolleyes:

Im just back after a long break. I still haven't retconned all my goons since alert came out (the reason I took a long break) and can't seem to find big enough bags for my endless 'mawds'. :confused:

All these related threads are quite disheartening ("no new content", "CN don't care about us", "we are walking money bags", "CO is on the fall prepare to be booted forever")

I love the freeform character creation here (what? I can play MY character? The one on this PnP character sheet from 1984 with Champions written on the top... AWESOME!)and just so desperately hope that CO doesn't fall down. Please CO, don't fall down. Please come and tell us it is all going to be ok.
    Please CO, don't fall down. Please come and tell us it is all going to be ok.

CO has already fallen into a pretty big hole.

A correct plea woul be: "Please don't throw in gasoline and lit matches."
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »
    CO has already fallen into a pretty big hole.

A correct plea woul be: "Please don't throw in gasoline and lit matches."

To me it's more like -

"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Part of me wonders why they won't put this poor horse out of its misery. Then the rest of me realizes that would just leave DCUO and the Diablo clone.

at least those games have responsive devteams.
    edited July 2013
    maybe yes, maybe no, in the past some co devs asked about costumes, and dave n and jay were of course good for interaction(coherent interaction..well, dave was) but while my forum skulking there has been infrequent, i never even saw a costume request thread that had dev interaction. and as for mavel diablo, apparently none of us want to customize our chars because we would make exact copies of wolverine with spoons for claws. so yeah, its not unheard of for me to miss it, but dcou while active, does not exactly strike me as interactive as..say..paragon. or even co before tumer left. and marvel is a kind of apples and oranges comparison to customization based games.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    at least those games have responsive devteams.

Another superhero mmo had a very responsive dev team and we're coming up on the anniversary of their death sentence.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    But it's not a race. You have, like, forever to navigate three of the clearly-marked courses, with holographic lines pointing out the entire course, and no sudden hairpin turns between buildings marked solely by the angle of the ring you pass through just before the hairpin.

In other words, the Risan hoverpack event is much more fun than the Malvan race ever was.

You should read the STO boards. Some people have utterly no concept about how to move around in a three dimensional space. Frankly it was outright frightening.

How do they understand concepts like stairs and elevators?
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    You should read the STO boards. Some people have utterly no concept about how to move around in a three dimensional space. Frankly it was outright frightening.

How do they understand concepts like stairs and elevators?

It doesn't help their understanding of 3-dimensional space that ship navigation forces you to "corkscrew" if you want to go up or down.