test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We... are the lowest of the nerds.

wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
Fantasy nerds have and have had many huge MMO's to chose from--some of them quite good.

Star Wars and Star Trek nerds have and have had their big, well maintained and developed games.

Hell, even Lovecraft/conspiracy theory nerds have Secret World.

But Supherhero nerds...

Our one good, well developed game got axed in it's prime, our other good game was abandoned before it could be well developed, and the third is just a Charlie foxtrot.

I guess we're the bottom of the nerd barrel. That's...

I think I'll go eat worms.
Post edited by wethree1 on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Comic book nerds are actually held in higher regard than even fantasy nerds.

Developers and producers who have the money to start big projects just don't know how to not go too overboard with ideas before things get ridiculous. they fail because they lack understanding and how to hire those who do and end up avoiding the "risk" out of sheer incompetence. Though they don't want to admit that its this very reason that the market is failing or has failed.

NCSoft just didn't care about CoH. Champions was at a good start but the developers lost interest when the Star Trek profits made them change focus from making great games to turning profits.

Its not that the industry sucks, its that its leaders don't understand or they are not truly loyal.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am reminded of an old "dork towers" comic about which nerddoms make fun of which ones.

I'll admit that the non-funding of project:awakened troubled me as to the position of superheros in games, but id say its more that mmos themselves are changing and sort of receding. Heck, to turn your own point, we still have one more mmo, quality notwithstanding, than the cosmic horror nerds. as superhero single player games go, there are several on the horizion, and while it annoys me that they are generally ones with established characters like batman, deadpool and lego-ised versions of the dc/avengers lineup rather than the bethesda/obsidian type of customize your own character games, they still generally count.

besides, the lowest of nerds are juggalos :P
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wethree1 wrote: »
    Fantasy nerds have and have had many huge MMO's to chose from--some of them quite good.

Star Wars and Star Trek nerds have and have had their big, well maintained and developed games.

Hell, even Lovecraft/conspiracy theory nerds have Secret World.

But Supherhero nerds...

Our one good, well developed game got axed in it's prime, our other good game was abandoned before it could be well developed, and the third is just a Charlie foxtrot.

I guess we're the bottom of the nerd barrel. That's...

I think I'll go eat worms.

Actually COX prime was in 2009-2010 time period but the just point if made.

Yeah it seems super hero genre in mmo games do get treated a bit as "oh we was bored so we made it but dont give much care about it." category in many cases of those that bothered ot build it and other companies seem to avoid it like the plague.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jaguar40 wrote: »
    Actually COX prime was in 2009-2010 time period but the just point if made.

maybe if we are taking subscrbers, but in terms of the games content output, post-free to play the content was coming out like crazy and the game was growing by leaps and bounds. multiple new zones and new power-sets, the incarnate system, and issue 24 was going to rebalance the enhancements to revitilize resistance versus the prior softcapping defense mindset. it was also going to introduce pool customization, rebalance several pools that were under-preforming, and add several new powersets that had been asked for for some time, like martial arts secondary for blasters. And the sorty was finally going to conclude praetoria and move on to the coming storm. so in terms of content, coh was murdered at its absolute peak.
    edited June 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    maybe if we are taking subscrbers, but in terms of the games content output, post-free to play the content was coming out like crazy and the game was growing by leaps and bounds. multiple new zones and new power-sets, the incarnate system, and issue 24 was going to rebalance the enhancements to revitilize resistance versus the prior softcapping defense mindset. it was also going to introduce pool customization, rebalance several pools that were under-preforming, and add several new powersets that had been asked for for some time, like martial arts secondary for blasters. And the sorty was finally going to conclude praetoria and move on to the coming storm. so in terms of content, coh was murdered at its absolute peak.

Ah yes, in those terms, it was peak.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Am I the only one who thought that this topic actually seems like the making of a cage match?

Toss a comic book guy, trekkie, and D&D nerd into a pit. Perhaps sprinkle in a few thematic weapons and televise it on cable.

Id pay money to watch that!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Drop energy drinks down a tube to land in random corners of the cage.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought that this topic actually seems like the making of a cage match?

Toss a comic book guy, trekkie, and D&D nerd into a pit. Perhaps sprinkle in a few thematic weapons and televise it on cable.

Seen it happen before wasnt a pit though. It was funny to watch except this particular trekkie had some skills and bascially manhandled the rest of them.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited June 2013

What happens when someone embodies all three?
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Then I suppose I'd - er, I mean he would have to fight with himself!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5n28hpMFBE

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Easy, you toss a replica phaser, a vintage first print edition of "Unearthed Arcana", and a set of "Hulk fists" into the pit and see what one they pick up first. :biggrin:
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »

and all of those were going to be free to the pay2play, the free2plays have to pay for such content. I loved city of I didn't like the choises that went into the free2play change. I didn't like how they lumped their 5-6 year vets in with someone that just started playing.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The replica phaser. Unearthed Arcana is useless with anything except AD&D 2nd Ed (and wasn't that great with it), and the Hulk Hands would make it impossible to pick up the phaser. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    The replica phaser. Unearthed Arcana is useless with anything except AD&D 2nd Ed (and wasn't that great with it), and the Hulk Hands would make it impossible to pick up the phaser. :smile:

OK, seriously? First, the replica phaser is just a flashy, noisy piece of plastic. It's as useless as the toy Han Solo blaster in my garage (my niece broke the barrel off it when she was 3, and I just can't bring myself to throw it away), and my dad's old Lone Ranger Colt 45 cap gun can at least be turned around and used as a bludgeon.

Second, the Hulk fists are foam. 'Nuff sed.

Unearthed Arcana is thick enough to withstand at least half a dozen blows before it starts coming apart while I beat ya over the head with it! :biggrin:

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • locsmith12locsmith12 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Comic book nerds are actually held in higher regard than even fantasy nerds.

Developers and producers who have the money to start big projects just don't know how to not go too overboard with ideas before things get ridiculous. they fail because they lack understanding and how to hire those who do and end up avoiding the "risk" out of sheer incompetence. Though they don't want to admit that its this very reason that the market is failing or has failed.

NCSoft just didn't care about CoH. Champions was at a good start but the developers lost interest when the Star Trek profits made them change focus from making great games to turning profits.

Its not that the industry sucks, its that its leaders don't understand or they are not truly loyal.

And it seems odd with the abundance of superhero movies that have been made and are slated for the future. You would think that a good superhero MMO (like CoH or Champs) would be getting a lot of support. Superheroes are really high in the pop culture radar right now.

But, as stated, CoH was cut down while still proving profitable and entertaining and Champs is languishing in developer heck! I?m not mentioning Marvel Heroes since it?s really a D2 clone with Marvel costumes and DCUO is really not much more than a console port (and not a good one in my opinion) with a cumbersome control scheme (for a PC game).
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Shut up OP comic book nerds are the bestest U_U

They come into my shop by a load of crap and I get more monies TO BUY RUM WITH :p
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • liontriadliontriad Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I honestly think otherwise. Superhero content in Hollywood is in high swing and superhero conventions are much more ingrained than fantasy ones.

IMHO the problem in relation to games is that Superheros are very hard thematically to monetize in a FTP settting. Fantasy games can be monetized via gear. Superhero games arent what you would call very gear focused. Take a look at the Pen and Paper versions of both themes, superhero games tend to not have any sort of gear or have them in a more generic power slot rather than specified items.

Its one of my more annoying pet peeves about CO and DCUO, an increased focus on equipment makes it feel more like a fantasy gear-based game than a superhero game. I think thats why I liked CoH at least initially since it had no gear whatsoever.

Monetizing Superhero games is best done via costumes or visual related upgrades. The problem is that those items dont need upgrading, once you get a cape that you want for example, no need to buy another one unless it has a look you want. The need for better stats give a player more frequent desire for upgrades. Look at WoW's transmog, once you get a visual look you want, you tend to stay that way, if it wasnt for the underlying item stats, you wouldnt replace a pc of gear at all. Thats the inherent problem with costume slots, not everyone wants the costume, but everyone would want stat progress and thats the only reason one would want to either buy or grind for something new.