test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feelings about this game

tsukunitsukuni Posts: 4 Arc User
I love this game. I haven't had so much pure and simple fun playing a game in YEARS.

But very quickly after I settled in I began to notice that some areas were just... lacking.

I'm only new to this game but even I can feel a sort of sense of stagnation about it. I might be wrong, I honestly don't know, but is this game still being actively developed? I think this is a game I want to play for a long time, but seeing as how it's been out for a few years (since 2011?) I would have expected more than one major zone and a couple of instances. I can understand focusing on one zone if the playerbase isn't huge, though.

I just look over the costume parts available and some of the clipping problems or low quality parts (bear paws, knife straps, options for beast legs in general, etc.) and can't help but feel that they aren't incredibly difficult issues to fix. It's confusing.

Are the developers, GMs, etc. accepting art/costume creations from players? I think that would be a really good, and logical, idea. Especially if they don't want to do it themselves; just allow the community to help if they can.

Basically, what I'm asking, is if this game is dying. I really like it and I'm really into it, so that would be very disappointing :< .
Post edited by tsukuni on

Comments

• Options
    mawaynemawayne Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There are 6 zones: Millennium City, Desert, Canadian Wilderness, Monster Island, Lemuria and Vibora Bay.

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Zones

The game launched in Fall of 2009. Most of us who have been here for a while have explored most if not all of the content in those zones, but if you joined in June 2013 as your description indicates, and if you think there is only one zone, then there is a whole lot of game world for you to explore :smile:

Regarding the other issues you mentioned, yes, there are some long-standing costume and content bugs and the lack of attention to them is frustrating. Still, I play the game regularly and I continue to enjoy it, warts and all.
    edited July 2013
    tsukuni wrote: »
    I love this game. I haven't had so much pure and simple fun playing a game in YEARS.

But very quickly after I settled in I began to notice that some areas were just... lacking.

I'm only new to this game but even I can feel a sort of sense of stagnation about it. I might be wrong, I honestly don't know, but is this game still being actively developed? I think this is a game I want to play for a long time, but seeing as how it's been out for a few years (since 2011?) I would have expected more than one major zone and a couple of instances. I can understand focusing on one zone if the playerbase isn't huge, though.

I just look over the costume parts available and some of the clipping problems or low quality parts (bear paws, knife straps, options for beast legs in general, etc.) and can't help but feel that they aren't incredibly difficult issues to fix. It's confusing.

Are the developers, GMs, etc. accepting art/costume creations from players? I think that would be a really good, and logical, idea. Especially if they don't want to do it themselves; just allow the community to help if they can.

Basically, what I'm asking, is if this game is dying. I really like it and I'm really into it, so that would be very disappointing :< .

You went for the Alerts route and got lost there, didn't you?
    :rolleyes:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Enjoy the things you haven't seen yet.

Team with people who are new and also haven't seen everything the game has to offer.

Do so and have a good time as you have been doing.

Things look pretty bleak from a futurist's point of view, but you should have fun for now.
    And there is plenty to be had, especially if you play casually.

The forums and all the arguments will be here when you and yours have had adventures and campaigns. Fight now worry later as it were.

*edit also Finn looks like he may have a twin sister, FinnFina. A mustache lost to tragedy will be the downfall of us all. It's his fault.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The game is pretty stagnant.

That doesn't necessarily mean the game is going to die, some games are on life support for 10+ years.

They have done some new and involved stuff, but they have a really inexplicable priority list for work and development.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm not sure exactly what the "alert route" is you refer to. I've done a few alerts, but I'm not a lot of help at my low level (even adjusted to 30, due to gear/lack of powers) so I don't do them often.

If you're asking me if I've been ignoring the entire story/mission content of the game so far, I'd like you to take me a bit more seriously. That's insulting to assume.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Enjoy the things you haven't seen yet.

Team with people who are new and also haven't seen everything the game has to offer.

Do so and have a good time as you have been doing.

Things look pretty bleak from a futurist's point of view, but you should have fun for now.
    And there is plenty to be had, especially if you play casually.

The forums and all the arguments will be here when you and yours have had adventures and campaigns. Fight now worry later as it were.

Haha, you sound like a veteran. I'll do that, and just enjoy the game as it is without worrying about its growth... for now. I sent off a message to customer support asking about game development status, so I'll just wait for that to return. Customer support responses are usually pretty awful.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    The game is pretty stagnant.

That doesn't necessarily mean the game is going to die, some games are on life support for 10+ years.

They have done some new and involved stuff, but they have a really inexplicable priority list for work and development.

I think I've been looking a bit too far into it for such a new player. It does worry me when I like a game this much right away and they don't have regular/structured content updates. Even little things like new costume pieces on a weekly/monthly basis were what I expected, but couldn't find.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you're new, the game's gonna seem cool for a while.

But you can get bored really fast.

For me, this games a suped-up RP engine.
  • Options
    atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This game is forgotten and forsaken, the weakest of Cryptic's games despite being its first.

The wasted potential you'll see at every turn will be enough to make you shake your head even as a new person and I really hope you're able to avoid some of the bugs out there scattered through every lair, Adventure Pack, Comic Series and several missions.

This game isn't dying, it's in a state of undeath and will likely shamble along with no attention from Cryptic/PWE for years to come. The only reason it's still around is by virtue of a dedicated community and by being more customizable than the other super hero games out there.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This game is worth playing for a long time. It will take a while before you get through all the content and experiment a lot.

I wouldn't worry about long-term stuff, but I also wouldn't make much of a cash investment in the game until things change.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    suped-up

I see what you did there! :biggrin:

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *edit also Finn looks like he may have a twin sister, FinnFina. A mustache lost to tragedy will be the downfall of us all. It's his fault.

cmh6.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    My feelings on this game?

I feel that they do not care about the player experience from a gameplay standpoint. Champions Online is not a video game anymore. It is by all means an avatar based geek hangout at best and a RP den of iniquity at worst. But the one thing very few players I speak to are happy about is actually playing through the game content and combat.

If the current game actually WORKED and functioned as a game I'd be contented.. even with it's lack of updates.

Champions Online desperately needs a game designer. Combat Mechanics all need to be updated and standardized.
  • Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    OP I would suggest not reading the forums.

Go and have fun, run the missions, design a fun toon, meet like minded people, RP a little if that's your thing.

Reading the forums will kill your enthusiasm in a New York minute.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

So I came over from City of Heroes/Villains after playing that for over 8 years and was a dedicated subscriber throughout. While I still mourn the loss of that great game (to me), champions online, as another poster stated, has FANTASTIC potential!. I've been on vacation this week and made the mistake of making yet another freeform toon and have finally wrenched myself away as I am enjoying it immensely. So to me, freeform capability, power armor's ability to fire off multiple powers concurrently, and the costume customizations are such big draws for this game and truly unique.

On the downside, I've been on since November 2012 and have leveled toons doing alerts and doing the content. What I am disappointed in is seeming lack of interest in the game by the parent company while they focus on their other properties. So while I'm a gold subscriber and will remain so, I try not to spend too much money in the C store, as I'm not sure what the future will bring (and I think PWE prices are way too high for some/many things).

On the other hand, if they could devote time to the game (I hear that Cryptic has a new entity, Cryptic North based out of Seattle, that will as one of its duties "polish" Champions Online though don't know polish means!), there are so many unique capabilities that could be exploited. And if they were, ...catching my breath, install the Foundry in CO, it would extend the life of this game for many more years...but at every turn, things that have been promised, discussed, have just languished, and the foundry, though we were asked for our opinion, doesn't seem like it will happen either (similar to City of Heroes Mission Architect, the Foundry, as used in Star Trek Online and NeveWinter Online will let you create your own missions with custom enemies/allies that others can play).
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That truly is the saddest part. You will love your experience in the game if you can get past the bugs (and most of the time, you can avoid them- even though you shouldn't have to).

This character creator is hands-down one of the greatest ever. Added to that is the freeform power function, and you can do a lot in this game with even a themed build that isn't optimized. AT's are pretty solid, even if some of the better ones require you to buy them.

You'll hit the wall eventually, and it won't make you mad so much that we're not getting anything- it's more than that. It's like watching someone who is an amazing artist squander his talent drawing lewd pictures on bathroom walls when he could do much more and become something great- and then pretend he's not able to do anything great, because all he's done is draw boobs on the stall door and hasn't applied his talent in years.

But for what it's worth? It's a fun ride for a while.

Costume Contests, RPers, random nonsense player games- those make it fun.
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's like watching someone who is an amazing artist squander his talent drawing lewd pictures on bathroom walls when he could do much more and become something great- and then pretend he's not able to do anything great, because all he's done is draw boobs on the stall door

But they are FANTASTIC boobs.

:smile:

I've been playing this game since launch, Sep 2009.

I loved CO then and I love it still.

I have 40 toons at level cap and there are several other players with even more.

I have no hopes of significant content updates.

But I will keep playing till they shut the servers down.

CO is still FUN!

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Its been the best online game I've ever played. Though I've done everything in the game multiple times. No MMO should have you be able to do and see everything before you get to max level. There's only enough content to get you to maybe 40 and then some great adventure packs and comics to wrap things up. After that its pretty much over, start over again.

I've done this almost 30 times. I'm reaching the end of my enjoyment. All that's left is the character creator. Too bad its world isn't as robust.
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's the only MMO I play on a regular basis. I love the customization and the corny missions to bits... I just really wish content was cranked out a little more regularly. There's only so much enjoyment I can get out of doing goofy RP sessions and laughing at the campy voice acting.
  • Options
    guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Been here since before alpha/beta did damn near every mission they have with one hero I have.

Yep the game has been stagnate however they are working on something at the moment. I don't know what though.

I have fun. I do miss my old crafting stuff, loved making H.O.T. bots and bags but I do like the additions they have made thus far. My kamen rider has a bike :) I got a massive boost in power for my main and when I do have something fun to do I have fun.

My problem is I don't have anything to do that is new, and at my power level, for my max level hero. So I just sit here and tweak the crap out of him trying to get as much power I can. I just don't have much to do with him :frown:
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kharma23 wrote: »
    OP I would suggest not reading the forums.

Go and have fun, run the missions, design a fun toon, meet like minded people, RP a little if that's your thing.

Reading the forums will kill your enthusiasm in a New York minute.

This exactly. There is, sadly, much bitterness out there.

However that alone should say something. Its not hate. The real haters have gone a long long time ago. Its mostly disappointment and frustration that is fueling the bitterness.

It speaks highly of both a community and a game that can still generate such emotion. the folks here want the game to be improved. They want the game to grow and develop. And are frustrated that is it not.

Its why the tone here is just a little different then other angry game forums. Its not rage at the game, its rage at whats been done to it. Its not a angry crowd looking to destroy, but one looking to simply be given the attention they feel is needed.

A lot of new players read the forums and misread the signals. We want people to play and enjoy the game. More players is only a good thing. It is a good game. Its just neglected. Sometimes the bitterness, however, makes that message hard to understand.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic North could possibly lead to good things in the future, who knows, but we all hope.

The game is Fun. Do as others say, play the real content for the stories, they really are great fun. Alerts are a quick way, but not the most enjoyable way to play the game.

Find yourself a great SG for when you have gone through all the content. I have MANY times, and my SG keeps me here because they are good people.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    You went for the Alerts route and got lost there, didn't you?
    :rolleyes:

This is happening on a massive scale.

I became a subscriber two years ago today.
    I've played about oh maybe 10% of the content.
  • Options
    khoraxgatorkhoraxgator Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This game has one foot in the grave.