test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fighting Claws- biggest disappointment in powers.

13»

Comments

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heeey. Some of us like nerdy arguments and debates. :/ I find it infinitely fascinating!

Speaking as one who owns a comic book/video game shop I am all burnt out when it comes to nerdy arguments.

Just today I overheard an argument and this was a serious nerd argument about who would win a fight between Superman and Twilight Sparkle much rage was had and a foam lightsaber was taken across someones face ( yeah the beetches had to buy that afterwards -.-" ) , threats of unfriending on Facebook were afoot and one guy demanded his Battlestar boxset back .

Don't talk to me about nerds U__U"
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heeey. Some of us like nerdy arguments and debates. :/ I find it infinitely fascinating!

No kidding. But, you think this is bad?
    nepht wrote: »
    Speaking as one who owns a comic book/video game shop I am all burnt out when it comes to nerdy arguments.

Just today I overheard an argument and this was a serious nerd argument about who would win a fight between Superman and Twilight Sparkle much rage was had and a foam lightsaber was taken across someones face ( yeah the beetches had to buy that afterwards -.-" ) , threats of unfriending on Facebook were afoot and one guy demanded his Battlestar boxset back .

Even worse? Bring up the Marvel vs. DC argument. Do this around 1994-1996.
    I have a friend that lost an eye like this.

If you said you 'liked both' in the mid-90's, it was like trying to be a Lannister and a Stark. You just couldn't DO that, and you were a spineless coward- pick up your blade and choose a side, you cretin!
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No kidding. But, you think this is bad?

Oh, no, I've seen bad. I've been a part of bad.

Bad is trying to objectively debate who's sci-fi universe could beat who else's, and dealing with the crushing tide of fans and the fact that for some fanbases (Star Trek and Star Wars, in particular), there exists contradicting, confusing, and blatantly inaccurate and unsupportable information in what are assumed to be 'canon' sources (taking into account Roddenberry and Lucas both had a 'bar' of what was acceptable divergence set very low, and as long as it cleared the hurdle, they were okay because they weren't making hard-science).

We speak not of bad.

This, in comparison, is family-friendly fun.

(DISCLAIMER: Seriously, dude, don't do the above. It ends in blood.)

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ah... Semantic arguments on a bbs for a comic book themed video game.

This is such a nerdy thing that I think I just grew a pocket protector.

I... Have a suggestion. Just say to yourself three times "It's a comic book, I should take myself less seriously", and see how you feel.

What else are we supposed to do? Argue which new costumes are better, or which new expansion is more hardcore? :P

I don't see why it's such a bad thing to discuss this kind of thing. I think good points were made all around and even got me to nudge my "heroic" line a bit to the other side. As an amateur comic artist and kinda-almost writer, this is good stuff.

There's nothing quite like a good nerd-off. We used to have these kind of discussions all the time when I was working QA. Now I'm all alone in not-QA land and have no one to go full nerd at, aside from you guys!
    biffsig.jpg
    edited June 2013

Bad is trying to objectively debate who's sci-fi universe could beat who else's, and dealing with the crushing tide of fans and the fact that for some fanbases (Star Trek and Star Wars, in particular), there exists contradicting, confusing, and blatantly inaccurate and unsupportable information in what are assumed to be 'canon' sources (taking into account Roddenberry and Lucas both had a 'bar' of what was acceptable divergence set very low, and as long as it cleared the hurdle, they were okay because they weren't making hard-science).

We speak not of bad.

I have to agree here. There's really no reason to bring up Star Wars vs Star Trek discussions because Star Trek is complete crap.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited June 2013

We speak not of bad.

No, no- I know. I've SEEN it. I just didn't think that this was kosher to discuss in public. It's one of those things when it comes up in real life- you find another area. Immediately.

One of my oldest friends is a huge fan of both- and he absolutely will not debate any of it in a comparison. In his words they are as different as 'Transformers and GI Joe'. You simply cannot make the comparison.

One of my favorite comic debates: Not who would win in a fight, but who would you combine from the two universes. They have to be similar characters (A cheap example would be Deathstroke and Taskmaster), but also have certain qualities that would compliment one another. This originally started as anything-goes team-ups for a duo, but then the Amalgam comics thing came up.

Of course, I still say the greatest theoretical hybrid character idea was a friend's idea for a Marvel 'What If..?' where instead of Rhodey saving Tony Stark in 'Vietnam', it was actually Frank Castle- who eventually became the War Machine... and lost his family in a botched hit by one of Tony's competitors- believing him to be both the Iron Man and War Machine. He survived, using the same method Stark used to stabilize himself and took the War Machine armor to fight crime, eventually being forced to battle Iron Man in a brutal scene of destruction.
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ಠ_ಠ My god, what have I done.

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I have to agree here. There's really no reason to bring up Star Wars vs Star Trek discussions because Star Trek is complete crap.

I'm a fan of neither.

But let's talk about prequel movies from the two...

/me RUNS.
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I always hate it when mom and dad fight...

Actually, I wasn't going to bring this up, because I had found it after the thread had lain fallow for a day or so, and I didn't want to necro. I have an old Adventurer's Club magazine (#7, from 1986, if memory serves) with a gadget in it called the Mercy Gun. It's for Justice, Inc, but the write-up specifically mentions how useful it would be for UNTIL in crowd control missions. Anyway, it utilizes "bullets" that carry a knockout gas that erupts upon striking its target, rendering anyone in its limited AoE unconscious.

Just thought a little historical perspective might help put this issue to rest. Or inspire another three pages. Or whatever. :biggrin:

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited June 2013

Of course, I still say the greatest theoretical hybrid character idea was a friend's idea for a Marvel 'What If..?' where instead of Rhodey saving Tony Stark in 'Vietnam', it was actually Frank Castle- who eventually became the War Machine... and lost his family in a botched hit by one of Tony's competitors- believing him to be both the Iron Man and War Machine. He survived, using the same method Stark used to stabilize himself and took the War Machine armor to fight crime, eventually being forced to battle Iron Man in a brutal scene of destruction.

You said Frank Castle, I read Richard Castle, and thought "What the hell does he have to do with any of this?"

Haha.
    biffsig.jpg
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I still hate Wolverine
    edited June 2013
    atring wrote: »
    I always hate it when mom and dad fight...

Actually, I wasn't going to bring this up, because I had found it after the thread had lain fallow for a day or so, and I didn't want to necro. I have an old Adventurer's Club magazine (#7, from 1986, if memory serves) with a gadget in it called the Mercy Gun. It's for Justice, Inc, but the write-up specifically mentions how useful it would be for UNTIL in crowd control missions. Anyway, it utilizes "bullets" that carry a knockout gas that erupts upon striking its target, rendering anyone in its limited AoE unconscious.

Just thought a little historical perspective might help put this issue to rest. Or inspire another three pages. Or whatever. :biggrin:

Over 30 days is a necro. Anything before that is fair game, so play ball!

(Also, that's an excellent use of comic book science, in my opinion.)
    biffsig.jpg
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For some reason, I thought it was a week, which we also hadn't reached. I was really hoping this one would just stay down, but here I am keeping it going, too...

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited June 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    I still hate Wolverine

I still hate Jean Grey
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited June 2013
    I still hate Jean Grey

I still hate Mumm-Ra.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited June 2013
    I still hate Mumm-Ra.

Tell me about the guys a dog person , dogs are dumb and they smell U__U"

mummsiesdog.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2013
    I still hate cats. Their stench is overwhelming. :/
    edited June 2013
    Tell me about the guys a dog person , dogs are dumb and they smell U__U"

Pff, I can teach my dog to pick up money and bring it to me. Cats are walking pillows that don't like to be treated like pillows.
    biffsig.jpg