test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Water's Gimmick

thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Suggestions Box
If all that's really missing is what should Water do when it interacts with targets. Well it could have a couple of dual purpose powers similar to the Celestial having the damage/heal component with its EB, Rebuke, and Celestial Conduit. But instead of applying a straight up heal on Friendly Targets it applies a HoT and on Hostile Targets it applies a DoT.

1. HoT- Buoyancy - Can Stack up to 5 times heals for X amount over 1 minute per stack.

2. DoT - Drown - Can Stack up to 5 times. Deals X amount of damage over 1 minute per stack. Each stack increases the amount of damage dealt. Upon application of a fifth stack the target becomes paralyzed and begins struggling to breathe. Upon breaking free of the paralyze all stacks are consumed dealing Y amount of bonus Elemental damage. The target would also be disoriented upon release of the paralyze.

And yes, Water should fall under the Elemental category Since it and the Ice set are parallel they should deal the same type of damage. And following that logic they should also have a similar, but slightly different mechanic. Like Ice being able to produce an Ice Cage on a target after 3 stacks of Chill are applied. And well Ice operates at a much "quicker" pace than water so its effect would trigger faster than Water's Drown mechanic that I'm proposing here. And as according to current scientific studies water is essential to live, well it would make sense that it would have a healing mechanic working with it.

There can also be a power similar to Devour Essence, called Dehydrate which instead of drawing purely from the targets HP it could draw on a scale of around 75% HP and 25% Endurance and applying a debuff on conclusion called Dry Mouth which temporarily lowers the targets Equilibrium point.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't think its about the gimmick. Its more along the lines of making water look good is usually a ridiculously difficult process, and getting the animation would require a lot of dev attention and resources and all that other stuff.

Most sets are, as of right now, too difficult for our dev team size, and water is difficult for even a full team.

That's why some games, like Uncharted and other graphically intensive games like to show off how good their water looks.
  • Options
    yinjeighyinjeigh Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /Signed

I like, bro. Water can damage in so many different ways..So I would say some moves ((Harder hitters)) should be crushing. We'll need anims to explain where the water comes from though, lol. Maybe hand movements with streams of water that show you pulling water out of the atmosphere. Or some could have you pulling it from the ground. Also, some slashing or piercing moves(water whip/water bullet).
    With it being a more malleable element, Water could be a pretty devastating powerset, especially if given a component that lets it react with other elements. For instance...Lets say it gives a "Soaked" debuff to enemies.. Soaked can be consumed or boosted by chill(instant super ice cage), clinging flames(gives high-critting DoT from the boiling water scalds), or negative ions (causes the move to deal double damage or insta-crit). Somewhere along the lines of how the Energy Ultimate changes depending on the energy debuff the opponent has. If you're an elemental with different types of debuffs applied, Soaked takes either the one with the most stacks or the most time on the countdown to when the debuff ends.

As an add-on to your Dehydration move..How about an ADV that gives a buff called "Rehydrated"? Cuts the cost of all water moves by 50% for 15 Seconds.
    @Jeighsun in-game. Feel free to add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    vorshoth wrote: »
    Water has been considered by them multiple times. The issue they found last I heard of it around here was how it should animate and what gimmick it has. Each power set has a gimmick, or mechanic, from Infernal's poison effects to Darkness' Fear mechanic.
    Water... Might be tricky to think of a gimmick not done by other sets.

this is the message from this thread where the comment
    pppplyr wrote: »
    I understand that a power set using rubber moves is difficult to make... but what about a power set using water? Could be called The Tide.
    was made.

and so going off of that information, I put forth an idea that in theory should work...as far as the set's mechanic...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    yinjeigh wrote: »
    /Signed

I like, bro. Water can damage in so many different ways..So I would say some moves ((Harder hitters)) should be crushing. We'll need anims to explain where the water comes from though, lol. Maybe hand movements with streams of water that show you pulling water out of the atmosphere. Or some could have you pulling it from the ground. Also, some slashing or piercing moves(water whip/water bullet).
    With it being a more malleable element, Water could be a pretty devastating powerset, especially if given a component that lets it react with other elements. For instance...Lets say it gives a "Soaked" debuff to enemies.. Soaked can be consumed or boosted by chill(instant super ice cage), clinging flames(gives high-critting DoT from the boiling water scalds), or negative ions (causes the move to deal double damage or insta-crit). Somewhere along the lines of how the Energy Ultimate changes depending on the energy debuff the opponent has. If you're an elemental with different types of debuffs applied, Soaked takes either the one with the most stacks or the most time on the countdown to when the debuff ends.

As an add-on to your Dehydration move..How about an ADV that gives a buff called "Rehydrated"? Cuts the cost of all water moves by 50% for 15 Seconds.

I'm thinking that Rehydrate would be used as the sets targeted buff (similar to Protection Field or Illumination). It would provide an X% cost discount to target's powers for Y amount of time where X and Y = Rank. It would have a 2-point advantage to reduce the cooldown of actively cooling down powers by X Amount again = to Rank.

As far as specifically where the water is coming from isn't that generally left to the player's imagination? I mean I could be running around with a bottomless Big Gulp(tm) cup throwing magically charged water at people. Or I could just be mystically conjouring it. Mechanically if we just have the standard Palm, Fist, Head and Chest emanation points, it'd be awesome.

And with the Animations, we've got some amazing water animation already, heck we have a whole zone full of the stuff :biggrin: As far as powers animations go the Devs could borrow from the Force, Fire, Earth, and Infernal Supernatural for basic animations with fresh skins...

And as far as that other Debuff, that gives extra effects based on other debuffs that are in place. That's a great idea...and as far as the specific damage type the majority of the powers would do, I'm thinking they should do about 50% Crushing and 50% Elemental (Water).
  • Options
    alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    With power-coloring, you may dye it red to make a blood manipulator. We've seen a lot of vampire characters around - that would make lotsa people happy.

Digging the idea. Water is my favorite element. Go go

/signed
    ERgLqqC.png
  • Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So signed!!

Can we haz it now?? :biggrin:
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    After Skimming through some of the seriously buried Archived suggestions....it seems Water as a Power Set is one of those sets that ALOT of people have wanted over the past almost 4 years now. And according to one source here recently that was probably paraphrasing an unnamed dev, that all that really need be done is figure out the animation and mechanics behind the set.

Well I've provided above in the op a fairly basic idea for the mechanics behind the power set.

Animations -

EB - borrow the animation from Psi-Lash

Starting Blast - borrow Force Blast's single hand animation with Infernal Blast's liquid appearance.

PbAoE - Borrow from Earth's Quick Sand or Fire's Pyre the Wet Patch left behind by this variant will act as a HoT for the caster and allies, and apply a snare to enemies.

Block - Borrow Telekinetic Shield's animation its advantage causes it to linger, and upon expiration of the linger it heals the character by a small amount.

Passive - Borrow the aura from Seraphim. Works in Support or Hybrid Role, provides a Damage resistance buff to all allies in the form of ~50% Elemental ~5% Energy and ~45% Physical.

Single Target maintain - Borrow the animation from Heat Wave.

Ranged AoE - Use the Animation from Force Geyser it behaves like Vengence/Condemn from Celestial/Supernatural (Infernal)

Summon - Water Spout - uses Dust Devil's animation - behaves like a combination of Dust Devil and Fire Snake.

These are just my ideas, mind. If anybody else has some ideas on how to get this going don't just sit there, write them in...lets get this conceptualized so that if/when we get our Devs back they have some projects that can and will make the player/consumer base happy-ish...
  • Options
    determinddetermind Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Water is very versatile. Drowning, crushing (wave), spinning (whirlpool), burning (steam), freezing (cold water), knock up (water spout). I'd love to see a water based travel power as well. How cool would water spout jump be? Or maybe a water rolling power like snowball roll. I thought CoH did a great job on their water blast power set and I really miss it. I hope they come up with a water power set in CO. I have so many water-based hero concepts I want to try and having the Lemurians as part of the game lore adds more to a water based character.

One of the things I loved that I finally played in CO recently was the whole Vibora Bay Crisis. Amphibian's key role in that really made me want a water-based character. There is even the NPC Floodgate in Lemuria who supposedly has water based powers (though I haven't seen her put them in action as an NPC contact).
    _

The Roster

Ebon, The Dragon, Impact, Tempest, American Eagles, Elemental, Turbine, Weapon Hawk & Mr. E

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alt-it is; it's a real disease!
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Water could cleanse debuffs, apply disorient, repel, reduce attributes, and most anything water can do.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    leo7111leo7111 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    water bloating would be pretty fun to use :tongue:
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Water could cleanse debuffs, apply disorient, repel, reduce attributes, and most anything water can do.

Uh! Don't forget heals! Water is very heal-related in rpgs :3

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    klitty wrote: »
    Uh! Don't forget heals! Water is very heal-related in rpgs :3

I didn't forget the heals...check the OP :tongue: similar to how the EB, T0 Charge and T1 Maintain in Celestial provide either direct damage or heal based on the classification of the target (Friendly it heals, Enemy it hurts)...The same basic concept would be used on a few of the powers. Only they would apply either a DoT to an enemy or a HoT to an ally. And these DoT and HoT effects have a stacking mechanic to their buff/debuff...

And with the DoT when it reaches 5 stacks it places the hostile target into a sphere of water essentially drowning the target. This effect is a Paralyze similar to Containment Field or Ego Hold, only it does damage (that doesn't break the hold) similar to the advantage on Grasping Darkness or Ego Choke or Crippling Coils...and upon "break free" of the hold, the target becomes Disoriented and Snared for a short period...(nearly drowning does that :wink: )
  • Options
    dynamechdynamech Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would love a version of the telepathy bubble-heal, in a water powerset which acted as a debuff / DoT for enemies and a shield / HoT for allies
  • Options
    euthymiaeuthymia Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pion01 wrote: »
    I don't think its about the gimmick. Its more along the lines of making water look good is usually a ridiculously difficult process, and getting the animation would require a lot of dev attention and resources and all that other stuff.

Most sets are, as of right now, too difficult for our dev team size, and water is difficult for even a full team.

That's why some games, like Uncharted and other graphically intensive games like to show off how good their water looks.

Making water look good isn't as important as you think. What water in this game actually looks good?

The game was new and it was already using outdated graphics. Everything in the game looks dated. The appearance is much less important than how they can keep milking the game for cash.

The game can use a draw distance increase and a texture overhauld at the very least, but I doubt that's over going to happen.
  • Options
    spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Making water look good isn't as important as you think. What water in this game actually looks good?

The game was new and it was already using outdated graphics. Everything in the game looks dated. The appearance is much less important than how they can keep milking the game for cash.

The game can use a draw distance increase and a texture overhauld at the very least, but I doubt that's over going to happen.

This assessment... based on what, or, outdated from the beginning (you say), compared to what, in whose opinion? There are no grounds for comparison, I feel. CO has always had its own unique design style, I believe, aimed for something very specific and stayed true to that aesthetic. I personally think it's great. And water in particular, too, I LOVE the way it looks. Could it "look better(?)", or "more realistic", or anything like that - compared to this or that game? Well, it wouldn't be CO. Makes sense?

I remember way back when people used to argue about the comic-style black outlining - some liked it, others hated it with a passion - saying the graphics would look so much better without it (while failing to realize you could simply disable that). I'd say to each their own, I guess, but (not unlike this discussion) it was also kinda missing the bigger picture.

I would have to confirm (honestly can't remember for sure) but I think it came down to particles or something along the lines, as far as a Water power set went - that it would require a huge amount of work and weight far too heavily, basically - for it to look as good as it should. And that was not changing the way water looked in CO to something else - at all.
  • Options
    spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just so we're clear: I would DIEee for a Water power set. And then I would come back as a ghost just to thank the Devs. :P (alright j/k) I do understand, but yes, it would be amazing! <3

I think I posted an idea to a sort of compromise in the matter really long ago - along the lines of expanding Ice, conceptually, to the general manipulation of water in all its states, really mastery over the element. While the focus would obviously still be Ice, have added a few (3-5?) water powers to the set. One "Water Form", a travel power and a couple attacks and holds. Mechanics (and gimmicks) tied-in to Ice - i.e higher chance for Chill (cold water),"Soaked" affecting/buffing Chill and so forth. Also, just going back to concept - while you're creating all these huge ice constructs out of thin air, having water generation/manipulation as "a background", so to speak, to that ability, would make sense I would think, the synergy's all there.

I do however, understand that it's a whole different beast to take on in practice and a lot trickier than I'm probably making it sound. But well, for what is worth...
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thebuckeye wrote: »
    I didn't forget the heals...check the OP :tongue: similar to how the EB, T0 Charge and T1 Maintain in Celestial provide either direct damage or heal based on the classification of the target (Friendly it heals, Enemy it hurts)...The same basic concept would be used on a few of the powers. Only they would apply either a DoT to an enemy or a HoT to an ally. And these DoT and HoT effects have a stacking mechanic to their buff/debuff...

And with the DoT when it reaches 5 stacks it places the hostile target into a sphere of water essentially drowning the target. This effect is a Paralyze similar to Containment Field or Ego Hold, only it does damage (that doesn't break the hold) similar to the advantage on Grasping Darkness or Ego Choke or Crippling Coils...and upon "break free" of the hold, the target becomes Disoriented and Snared for a short period...(nearly drowning does that :wink: )

Sorry, that was my bad :redface:

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!