test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Want to change the chat ban system? Look inside!

somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
It seems that the launch of NW has caused Cryptic to (finally) realize that the player run Mafia chat ban system was a Bad Idea, and as such they're taking ideas as to how to fix it.

Want your opinion heard? Now's the time to do something about it:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?326012-Player-Challenge-Make-the-Neverwinter-Chat-Ban-System-Better
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow, I kinda figured if this issue was going to reach critical mass. It had to happen in the new shiney toy. But, it still feels like a punch in the gut to be ignored for so long. Only to have the new kids get the fix we should'a got years ago.

I think im going to go dye my red hair now. Getting tired of being the neglected step child.

I wonder how the STO kids are taking this? The realization that they are no longer the favorite is probably going to be a hard pill to stomach.
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Typical cryptic....ya gotta FORCE THEM TO DO THEIR JOBS, because they wont do it by request or high demand.

^ You can quote that as many times as you want.

Im proud of the people for doing what i woulda done had i been effected by it enough. You gotta go All-In with a pokerface, else you wont get anything.

PS: They wont listen to your feedback so dont bother.
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I posted. Hopefully something happens.

Those of you reading this from the NW forums, enjoy the links below.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the link. Spoke my mind there (how's that for a first post?) but not holding my breath for any "improvement" to come, at least for CO.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Chat ban would work 100% perfectly if people were still allowed to communicate with people on their friend's list and an owned private channel.

At least there they can do less harm and the friend's and channel dwellers can decide if they want to hear this person or not.

Is this system not obviously simple?

However Cryptic's solution will most likely to take a lot of input, get people to blow off steam about the issue, and do nothing, knowing by a quick look at their spreadsheet that the complaining players will A) Be gone in some days time B) already paid through the rear end for a founders pack and can't really do anything about it. C) are free to play and don't matter to the bottom line at all.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just a note. This thread focuses on Neverwinter. Please do not link to other game forums. The challenge I'm proposing to you all is to improve the current text chat ban system in Neverwinter, not to rehash debates from previous years and from different games.

Now let's get back to specific ways to make the current chat ban system better! Thanks!!

Apparently, whatever fix that may come down the pipes is intended only for Neverwinter, as the discussion is only about Neverwinter.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    More good news!
    Read 'ol Andres' last post.
    Whatever fix they do decide on will be applied exclusively to Neverwinter, not to Champs or STO. In fact they don't even want those two games mentioned in the discussion.
    Hope was fun while it lasted:frown:

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • lan451lan451 Posts: 3,257 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Apparently, whatever fix that may come down the pipes is intended only for Neverwinter, as the discussion is only about Neverwinter.

Yep, he just nuked ALL of our posts over there. He left my first one though for some reason. All the rest of them are gone. Am not pleased.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Im hoping its just one over happy mod. And not an official stance. To silence long time customers for simply being long time customers. So that the new kids in the new game dont get spooked is pitiful.

For the first time, im seriously angry.

He was so busy putting us in our place. He still has yet to remove the bot spam that has been pooping all over the forums. Yup, we just got made to feel less welcome then a frigging bot.
    edited June 2013
    Just nuked mine, too. But I reposted. GODS that pisses me off.

edited June 2013
    He is just going to keep nuking them. I expect this is going to end poorly for all of us.
    edited June 2013
    Oh, I've propagated his post in this thread and two over in Star Trek. I'm done now. No more from me, promise.

edited June 2013
    Id rather not get banned for speaking up, on a legitimate issue. But I couldnt let it rest either.

If I gota take a forum vacation. All I can say is miss ya all, but it was worth it.
  • lan451lan451 Posts: 3,257 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hopefully you don't get banned, I don't think your post was rude or confrontational, but who can say with that andre guy.

Anyways I've said my piece about it over there and I think I'll be heading on back to my side of the Crypticverse. It was nice joining forces with you guys for a little while.

Helm, set course for New Romulus. Warp factor 9.

Engage.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pfft. That's the last time I'll try to be helpful over there. At least when my posts get purged over here I know I had it coming.

Here's to hoping they can convince the powers that be to make smart changes.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited June 2013
    Strangely enough my posts are still there. Someone else's post with the mention of STO is still there as well. Maybe he relented when he realized that the chat ban system is global amongst all three games and therefore mention of the other two games is relevant.
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So you're saying that Caliga can finally reign terror on the masses with the power of his voice? That I need not worry about the 24 hour chat ban nemesis that I have fought time and again and have always lost? That I, Caliga, will no longer have to use my full and immense power ( Don't make me do it! :eek: ) to finally silence this menace once and for all!!?!?

.....:biggrin:
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    So you're saying that Caliga can finally reign terror on the masses with the power of his voice? That I need not worry about the 24 hour chat ban nemesis that I have fought time and again and have always lost? That I, Caliga, will no longer have to use my full and immense power ( Don't make me do it! :eek: ) to finally silence this menace once and for all!!?!?

...you know, perhaps keeping things how they are now isn't such a bad idea now that I think about it

/obvioustrollface
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Chat ban would work 100% perfectly if people were still allowed to communicate with people on their friend's list and an owned private channel.

As long as there is a silencing effect attached to this, the system will never work. The only thing that ignore should do is ignore the person for you and you alone. Report spam should send a report to a GM who then reviews the report and makes a decision based on the logs and other evidence.

Players should never ever be able to prevent someone from enjoying the game simply because they don't like something the person said or did.

Edit: On a side note I find it funny that they have a spammer in the NWO topic.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »

There can be only one!

Finish him, and in doing so, usher in a new age of freedom!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My post is still there.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Originally Posted by aandrethegiant View Post
    Just a note. This thread focuses on Neverwinter. Please do not link to other game forums. The challenge I'm proposing to you all is to improve the current text chat ban system in Neverwinter, not to rehash debates from previous years and from different games.

Now let's get back to specific ways to make the current chat ban system better! Thanks!!

I find this statement lacking in so many ways. Perhaps trailturtle, in his role as OUR community manager, could shed some light on why this review of the chat ban system doesn't concern CO.....or perhaps aandre's comments were rather hastily made.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I predict '****z happens'. Seems they are just trying to cover, without success, the fact that it existed way before the 'Bad people are abusing Report Spam in NW' thing.
    They will be asking free working mods from the playerbase to "monitor" the Spam Report abuse and report the reports so the report reporter can be dealed with. After 5 working days. With a slap to the wrist and note 'Promise you won't do it again'.
    And it most likely only affects to NW. Leaving CO and STO way they were, because it's 'working as intended'.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've personally tried to discuss this over there with the Neverwinter crowd. Their fanbois seem a bit jaded, and many even thought it was a 'great thing' because of Gold-Spammers. I played the game for several hours and saw nary a one. I just think these starry-eyed D&D-worshippers could see no fault in their new god. And now I find it comical that they see the stupidity of the chat-ban system.

I have to be outright rude and judgmental- most of the people that Neverwinter has hooked seem to be castoffs and bored WoW players that still hold that aggressive 'stick it to the other player' mindset. The exact kind to enjoy exploiting this system to get payback since they can't PvP in the open world and corpse-camp players with half their level. Greifing is bigger than one can imagine.

I personally think this gaming community would be far better off if we'd get it out of our minds that people should be 'punished' for what we see as 'annoying' or 'inconvenient' chat.

Don't want to read someone's posts? Use the ignore feature. It is no longer your problem.

Don't think other players should have to read that person's posts? Let them be big boys and girls and use the ignore feature for themselves.

It's amazing that this, in and of itself, solves all the problems people think 'spammers' cause.
    edited June 2013
    They deleted your posts over there?

Told ya so
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    draogn wrote: »
    As long as there is a silencing effect attached to this, the system will never work. The only thing that ignore should do is ignore the person for you and you alone.

No that is pure stupidity, it should not require 10,000 players using zone chat, /ignoring some spammer to shut him up.
    draogn wrote: »
    Report spam should send a report to a GM who then reviews the report and makes a decision based on the logs and other evidence.

That is also ridiculous.

You really expect someone to be there 24 hours a day making morality calls and reviewing the most inane conversations ever had in a free to play game to please the 1% of 1% of players that are angry for more than a split second about chat bans?

You volunteering for that contract?
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heh. Look at my post. They can delete it or suspend me from the forums all the hell they want. I believe in calling it like it is. I'm a PWE customer, I can use the damned forums.
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That andre guy's attitude is enough to have me considering quitting NWO... period.

It is a fun change of pace from CO (specially looking at some use generated content with Foundry) but CO is my home...
    edited June 2013
    So who wants to make a chat ban mafia on CO? Anyone?

Ya gotta 'FORCE THEM TO DO THEIR JOBS TM'

Its been proven over and over again. Having a word with them is simply not an option anymore.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Foundry crowd is a lot better. Foundry is amazing...

There are a few nitwits, of course.

I'm hoping the main forum culture gets less fetid in a few months when the rush is off.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited June 2013
    Just had another look at that thread....seems aandre has changed his tune somewhat:smile: Well done to those of you who pointed out to him the error of his ways.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This might sound a little heretical, but honestly, I'd rather have the company direct CO resources towards something else. I'd rather see a new costume set, a new hideout, a new zone,... something, before they look at the chat ban "Feature."
    a
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is also ridiculous.

You really expect someone to be there 24 hours a day making morality calls and reviewing the most inane conversations ever had in a free to play game to please the 1% of 1% of players that are angry for more than a split second about chat bans?

I already laugh in advance to when they really remove the automatic chatban, and after that masses of posts suddenly moan about that nobody cares about all the Gold-Spammers :biggrin:

Even if we don't have them in CO, i think there will be a lot in NW as in most other F2P games where you just log in the first time and yor chatwindow is already filled with 2 pages of goldspam.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited June 2013
    This might sound a little heretical, but honestly, I'd rather have the company direct CO resources towards something else. I'd rather see a new costume set, a new hideout, a new zone,... something, before they look at the chat ban "Feature."
    a

Looks to me like it's NW resources going towards it, and they have plenty, so maybe our resource(s?) could make something for CO.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    These report changes will apply to NWO only? What were you expecting. Devs LOATHE sharing tech they made for a specific game with the other two (except CO which loves to share, even though STO and NWO doesn't want the character customization). It seems NWO devs think of themselves higher than even STO now.
    Looks to me like it's NW resources going towards it, and they have plenty, so maybe our resource(s?) could make something for CO.

I'd prefer that any tech that can benefit all games be shared with all their games.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No that is pure stupidity, it should not require 10,000 players using zone chat, /ignoring some spammer to shut him up.

That is also ridiculous.

Yes I expect Cryptic to have a GM watching for reports and doing his job, just like it works for nearly every other mmo company.

And it is pure stupidity that players have the power to silence anyone that they may disagree with or who might beat them in a duel. A system that gives moderation power to a playerbase doesn't work. It has been proven that players will abuse such power.
  • sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not really expecting any major changes (they certainly won't implement anything requiring hiring customer service staff to review things as that would cost significant amounts of money), so I'm just going to wait and see if anything actually happens.
    edited June 2013
    Its cryptic

NOTHING is going to happen
    NOTHING CORRECT will be done if it something does

lets face it, they cant Copy>Paste their way out of this one.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You don't need to shut him up. You just need the option to not have to see his, "spam." That option can exist without providing griefers with additional tools to pursue their agenda.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited June 2013
    You know what could always work? Only the first ignore adds a tag to report a player. If you choose to remove that ignore, than it becomes your own responsibility.

Or make it that if someone has been put on chat ban enough times, then a GM sees the reports and makes the decision to see if the chat bans are justified (putting the player on permanent chat ban) or make that player immune to chat ban (permanent or temporary).

Regardless, an MMO needs constant GM interaction. Its a big enough of a system project and it profits enough to always have someone on duty. Or they can initiate a volunteer program of well respected players or the company can screen players to put them in the position. You can always keep these hires secret and no one will know if someone is another player of it its a real GM.

Vote crypticbuxom as your volunteer GM. I don't have anyone on my ignore list and I'm pretty indifferent as to who gets reported or not.
    edited June 2013
    Utterly flummoxed.

Apparently, according to the wording in this article, Neverwinter now gets a test server to release content to before releasing it to the open beta servers. >_>

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=907501

nathan-fillion-reaction-gif_zpsba8f5f40.gif

• evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You know what could always work? Only the first ignore adds a tag to report a player. If you choose to remove that ignore, than it becomes your own responsibility.

Or make it that if someone has been put on chat ban enough times, then a GM sees the reports and makes the decision to see if the chat bans are justified (putting the player on permanent chat ban) or make that player immune to chat ban (permanent or temporary).

Regardless, an MMO needs constant GM interaction. Its a big enough of a system project and it profits enough to always have someone on duty. Or they can initiate a volunteer program of well respected players or the company can screen players to put them in the position. You can always keep these hires secret and no one will know if someone is another player of it its a real GM.

Vote crypticbuxom as your volunteer GM. I don't have anyone on my ignore list and I'm pretty indifferent as to who gets reported or not.

One thing I always said and asked. What is the point of making rules when there is not enough man power to enforce those rules? Like now I can by definition create any rule I see fit and fancy, but it's meaningless if I cant enforce the rule. I can make a rule that requires all players of Champions wear Pink in game and in real life all day every day until they die. There rule created. Now what? I dont think hardly anyone will folow that rule if there is no way to enforce it. It's useless. Why is there police instead of mob justice? Ideally people can punish their own law breakers but histiry have shown it never work in ideal situations and too many people get shafted while the real law breakers go free. While not as detrimental, that is how the chat ban system seems to be set up in this game. Mob justice where 90% of the time it's just for revenge for losing 9% accidental, and 1% maybe did something crazy. Ineffective enforcement and quite frankly one of the dumbest ideas in the history of gaming.
    While a few "well respected" players of the community can work, I see it no different than what we have now, except putting the power into the hands of a popular few that probably still wont ban their own friends or inner circle but quickly still ban anyone they dont like. If going to do that, might as well leave it as is especially with as little oversight as is.
    I think there should be GM monitoring one way or another or at least someone that review the bans and cases, even if they work mon-fri, like tech support seem to (unless deep emergency like mass server drop out). If they cant enforce the rules, then might as well throw them out the window if people can break them without fear of anything happening while those that win at a PvP match get silenced left and right and no due process or anyways to dispute. Even most moderator decisions in most games have a dispute process but not the decision of a a few sore losers and their cronies? I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I dont see how that make sense or was viewed as a good idea to begin with. I think it will be better off if they just remove the chat ban system completely and buff up their reporting thing if they cant monitor it themselves in game.
    edited June 2013
    I'd certainly support a player run moderator system if those players were like biffsmackwell. If they are given enough power to moderate the forums and have been fair, I don't see why not extend that to the game itself.
  • sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Utterly flummoxed.

Apparently, according to the wording in this article, Neverwinter now gets a test server to release content to before releasing it to the open beta servers. >_>

Love the gif, we all know how the test servers work in the other Cryptic games...
    Neverwinter is officially "live/released" in two weeks making this slightly less odd.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Utterly flummoxed.

I know that gif is from Castle but ZOD DAMINT! I miss Firefly :<
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited June 2013
    Utterly flummoxed.

A beta-beta server then?

tumblr_ld15imDgyU1qaxsi0.png
    edited June 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    a Beta-beta Server Then?

tumblr_ld15imdgyu1qaxsi0.png

Betaception.

edited June 2013
    "Dont juggle power which nobody should have, as the only result can be destruction." ~ Snake Wildlife
    "It is power that cannot protect anything" ~Asura The Destructor

Remove Chat Ban powers from the system altogether, if someone is spamming or whatever, we can already ignore them, that is enough.

CO does not suffer from gold sellers, so there is no reason to host global ban powers triggered by in-game means.
  • sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    edited June 2013
    I'd prefer that any tech that can benefit all games be shared with all their games.

Me too....you quoted me as if I had said the contrary of that...which I didn't.:smile:
    zrdRBy8.png