test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Whats the merit for doing Melee while we have so many viable Ranged DPS build?

monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
Title says everything.

Where did the glorious days of Melee Tank build go? :(

Telepathy now ! But Melee for next !!
Post edited by monaahiru on

Comments

• Options
    isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dragon's claws needs a buff!!!
  • Options
    bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All melee needs a buff except shadow strike for known reasons. It is possible to pull off melee builds still but it takes alot of work way more then any other concept currently.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Concentration+Two-Gun Mojo.

There, viable melee!
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What's the merit?

It would be stupid to name a character "Professor Pugilism" and then give him a gun, that's the merit. Prof P doesn't shoot things - he HITS them. Hard.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    DW were OP !!!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Take Boomerang powers with a lunge and pretend you are slapping your foes in melee range = Melee Backhand Powerset :biggrin::tongue:

(And don't make no jibes about Telepathy or I'll set Telepathic Airline hostesses on you...they know where you live :wink:)
  • Options
    sinistro1978sinistro1978 Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I miss my pre-Alert HW damage. :frown:

I'd like to see a crowd control pass before a melee buff. Some cc should be brought up to par with Ego Sleep and Bolas. Give us more variety. I also think knocks need to be toned down a bit. Just make it full immunity for a short duration after being knocked the first time and ditch the whole 3 stack rule. Spamming knocks are the new cheese for pvp these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The best answer to this question is *shrug*.

I don't work at Cryptic. I know what I would do to balance melee with ranged. I'm practically writing a book on it.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Concentration+Two-Gun Mojo.

There, viable melee!

Gotta add Close the Gap too.
    edited June 2013
    Give Punch & Slash bit more luv !!!! xD
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You likes you some Bleeds?
    The undeniable satisfaction of walking up to something and punching it repeatedly in the face until it stops twitching?
    Beating the Dregs of the Universe to death..............With frickin' TRUCKS?!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I dunno about you guys, but the Haymaker's of Caliga still bring the pain, in dps, tanking, and your face.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I dunno about you guys, but the Haymaker's of Caliga still bring the pain, in dps, tanking, and your face.

file.php?avatar=1324_1264565572.gif
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I dunno about you guys, but there's a certain charm to letting loose a flurry of punches (With ghostly afterimages) and shouting "ATATATATATATATATAT!"
  • Options
    pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Fill your device ray with Psionic Surges and dat dangert ranged guy won't fly away with ascension or teleport :biggrin: I am using these with my Unleashed HAHA

device naaben, they cost 50G.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kemmicals wrote: »
    I dunno about you guys, but there's a certain charm to letting loose a flurry of punches (With ghostly afterimages) and shouting "ATATATATATATATATAT!"

090507122720351391.gif
    xD
  • Options
    clockwiseclockwise Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because melee is fun, and different from ranged? Really, you can crush anything in the game with just about any approach. The one that crushes fastest isn't necessarily the most fun for everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was Dubsy on the Old Forums. I am still @Dubsy in-game. Also, lol.
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Character concept.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because melee is a good range for throwing Gas Pellets? (which incidentally is considered a ranged attack and is going to be nerfed anyway)

Also, I don't think ranged has anything similar to Thundering Kicks' flat 18% Dodge buff with no CD.
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im happy with damage vs damage. but problem i see is mobility, snares/holds/roots are too easily broken and ignored by Ascension and other bypasses...melee would stand more of a chance if the ability to prevent people simply running off at rediculous speeds was SOLID.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When we say melee we mean Melee DPS yes?

Not necessarily Tank Melee..
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think NPGs out-dps any direct damage ranged attack in the game?

Then again it's considered ranged. But 4m isn't really ranged is it?
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Melee is fun, that's the only merit. Melee is at a disadvantage most of the time.
    Range can fully charge attacks any time> melee must be in close range for the duration of the charge.

Same with maintains.

Then range has the advantage of positioning AOEs more safely and effectively.

CC is a joke in this game but is more useful to ranged toons and less useful against them.

Melee has trouble with hit boxes of large bosses and generally remains exposed to their most devastating attacks which are usually pbaoe.

This game is built in such a way that it basically caters to builds that are ranged DPS, tanks, or in many cases ranged dps tank mages. If you enjoy playing healers, CC, or melee you can but these roles are unnecessary in 90% of the game with CC being the most useless role.

LOL i just Googled "tank mages" and this is literally the first image that popped up.
    tankmage.jpg
    If your looking for a role with "merit" try the tank mage!:cool:

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    -snip-

LOL i just Googled "tank mages" and this is literally the first image that popped up.
    tankmage.jpg

I had to get up and take a short walk after seeing that. Seriously, I laughed so much that I nearly blacked out and when I was able see again I had to go outside for some air.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I blame Jack. Since he can't have the CoH lore, he's trying to rebuild by reverting CO to CoH launch day:

Welcome to City of Blasters 2!
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I blame Jack. Since he can't have the CoH lore, he's trying to rebuild by reverting CO to CoH launch day:

Welcome to City of Blasters 2!

Well, at least the mobs in COX had specializations and roles. Each villian group in COX had a different focus
    Tsoo: Melee and healers
    Devouring earth: buffs and CC
    Freaks: high speed heavy hitting melee and self heals/rez

COs mobs are all the same tankmages. I mean, does it really matter who you choose to fight in the PH? All the villain groups in CO are just re-skins of eachother with the small variation of what schtick the high ranking mobs use.

Throwing tank mage PCs against tank mage NPCs is what makes it feel like such a zerg fest.

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Range can fully charge attacks any time> melee must be in close range for the duration of the charge.

Same with maintains.

Both of these are less annoying when you remember to use the "Follow" button. But yeah, it's a pain when you fully charge that attack, and then just before you release, the enemy knocks or holds you or takes one step back, or whatever, and you lose the attack. :mad:
    edited June 2013
    Both of these are less annoying when you remember to use the "Follow" button. But yeah, it's a pain when you fully charge that attack, and then just before you release, the enemy knocks or holds you or takes one step back, or whatever, and you lose the attack. :mad:

I never seem to have that problem bunny. I usually just root them in place with a lunge before I send them flying to Tokyo.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tankmage.jpg

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! This made my day. Had to exit lurk just to post this.

*re-enters lurk mode*
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I never seem to have that problem bunny. I usually just root them in place with a lunge before I send them flying to Tokyo.

To clarify, the inability to fully charge a melee attack mainly comes into play on PVP.
    My statement was more to the general inconvenience that comes with melee (even in pve).

Yes, you can lunge to a target and then attack but that's an extra step that must be taken before you can even begin to queue up your attack. If your using a melee cone, then you may have to lunge, and then reposition to get all of the mobs in line before you attack, where as a ranged cone like for example grasping shadows requires lower maintenance to keep the max number of targets in a cone.

With range, i don't really have to do much if any thing to set up and maximize my attacks, where as melee requires way more movement/positioning to get results that range from similar to inferior (depending on what your up against).

My main is melee, so its not like i hate melee. Its just that range is way more user friendly, an advantage that can be negligible in your average CO battle but can be more prominent in tough fights and in pvp.

• Options
    edited June 2013

To bad the "follow" command had a speed nerf when we got Athletics and Mach Speed. And that it doesn't even work in PvP.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    monaahiru wrote: »
    Title says everything.

Where did the glorious days of Melee Tank build go? :(

Telepathy now ! But Melee for next !!

If done right massacre can crit for 10k
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    If done right massacre can crit for 10k

If done right Dragon's Claw can hit for that much without crit.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If done right Dragon's Claw can hit for that much without crit.

Yeah but at least massacre doesnt look like your doing Tai-bo :D
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Yeah but at least massacre doesnt look like your doing Tai-bo :D

And Massacre leaves your back exposed to attacks after each attack, the furthest from what an actual animal does. What's your point?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Yep. I do both Ranged and Melee but I sometime feels I need some Penalty for my Ranged build.
    I think some fix for Ranged/Melee DPS or Tank role "percentage" will work good for this.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on
  • Options
    monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Benefits of melee:

1) Using Primus Spark Shield and never blocking unless absolutely necessary = more DPS

2) Your Fire Snake attacks/debuffs immediately

3) You can use Laser Knight (oh wait, 2GM w/Close the Gap and Demolish, oops nvm!)

4) Hmm there is no #4...

My suggestion for balancing this would be to let STR buff melee damage by a multiplicative %. For a superhero game, super high STR just doesn't have enough benefits IMHO and I think this could help a lot of powersets, i.e. Might.
  • Options
    slapperfishslapperfish Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    (deleted)
    Post edited by slapperfish on
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Both range and mobility are very important in CO. If you have a power with lower range it should do significantly more damage. Also a power that roots you should have significantly higher damage.
    That should make a power like annihilate have the highest dps in the game, but it is nowhere close.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    On a side note, melee may be less powerful than ranged in CO, but it is more than viable.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    aiqa wrote: »
    Both range and mobility are very important in CO. If you have a power with lower range it should do significantly more damage. Also a power that roots you should have significantly higher damage.
    That should make a power like annihilate have the highest dps in the game, but it is nowhere close.

I would have to agree with this so hard. Its why I sighed when I heard the Haymaker, Roomsweeper and the like was getting rebuffed while none of the Heavy Weapon powers were.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And Massacre leaves your back exposed to attacks after each attack, the furthest from what an actual animal does. What's your point?

I do not care about open for attacks and all that ho ha I just dont want to look like a tool when I am attacking :D
    Games a cake walk so I just pick stuff that looks cool.

Look at Dragon's Wrath firstly its a plebeian move thats spammed by Darth Dragonball ASSassin froobs ( yeah I am a b&^$h you guys should know this by now ) its animation also looks poo. Theres lots of reasons NOT to use a move.

Most ranged attacks also look poo :<
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The merit??

How about personal enjoyment of the game?
    Why should anyone be "required" to make a FotM type of character if they're not going to have fun playing it?
    What is the sense of having all these powers to choose from if one is only going to pick the "best" ones?
    And finally.....because it is EVER so much more satisfying to be all up in someone's face beating the snot out of them than pew-pewing from blocks away.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    The merit??

How about personal enjoyment of the game?
    Why should anyone be "required" to make a FotM type of character if they're not going to have fun playing it?
    What is the sense of having all these powers to choose from if one is only going to pick the "best" ones?
    And finally.....because it is EVER so much more satisfying to be all up in someone's face beating the snot out of them than pew-pewing from blocks away.

The big evil Pac Man speaks the truth.
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    an my pithy response. because kicking someone in the face is more fun than just about anything.
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Melee bias incoming.

IMO, the general issue with melee vs ranged isn't about raw numbers. I can get good numbers with Might now (even though I'm pigeon-holed into statting crit). It's easy to compare numbers against stationary targets.

The real issue is mobility. Lunges aren't good enough to close the gap for a variety of reasons. I'm not just talking about PvP, but try running a timed alert with 3 melee characters and a ranged character who kept kiting the boss. If that person who kited were to keep dying and respawning every 10 seconds, rendering his DPS and stars non-existent, the group would have more of a chance of winning the alert. Because the 3 melee characters are spending more time relocating than doing damage.

Ranged does not have this problem. It can stand where it wants without interrupting its flow of DPS. Even if you were to nerf raw numbers of ranged powers, it likely wouldn't impact the overall DPS compared to melee all that much. A smaller constant flow is still better in most cases than occasional big hitters.

I won't even delve into how PvP works in melee vs ranged, because it's just ridiculous without using overpowered devices to compensate.

This isn't an issue unique to Champions. Try playing a fighting game which is melee-focused, but has a ranged character. Now have that ranged character fight a character who cannot run in the game, only walk and hop. You know what you get? This. It doesn't matter that the melee character can murderstomp the ranged character if he gets a good hit in, because he'll barely have a chance to make that hit. (The melee char did win in the clip I linked, but I think you can compare how much effort each player had to put in for a victory.)

I don't believe this can be solved without changing the mechanics to their core. Like making all attacks root you, or making almost all ranged attacks root you. It's too much of a deviation from gameplay everyone is already used to. And it likely just isn't fun.

But don't worry, because even if you're melee, you'll likely be able to handle any current content. PvP does not have any reward worth stressing over, so if you're playing it just for fun (which, if you are playing it at all, you essentially only have fun as a motivation), you can have that with most matches.

Only worry if we ever reach a point where you basically either can't play as melee, or the amount of effort it requires is insane compared to ranged. Something like the flying bots around Harbinger were, only much, much worse.

P.S. If you want a decent Might build, check over here.