test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So I was on my steam list just dippin around.

ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
And noticed a certain Marvel based thing was finally openly accessible. And I wanna ask this question since so many people make open assumptions about how bad off we are.

You weren't seriously worried about this diablo clone were you?
Cause if you were, I'd just like to mention, diablo clones only last about 6 months to a year, hell even diablo 3 went to hell after the first year.

So....just in case you were wondering come this next E3 expo, champions online still doesn't really have a solid competitor, and before anybody drops DC in this thread.....if you've played it, you've already come across the headaches. Although its semi pathed freeformish skill set up is...ok. The 3 color pallet makes things hard to look at for too long.

So yeah update.
And yes, I've played both the DC thing and the Marvel thing, DC thing drove me to rage, and the Marvel thing, well....if I wanted to play diablo Id play diablo. Easy as that.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ah yes, I saw that a day or so ago.

I even counted how many times the description said Diablo. It was at like, eight or nine by the time I hit the system requirements. :tongue:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    clockwiseclockwise Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I know some people who STILL play Diablo II. With the expansion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was Dubsy on the Old Forums. I am still @Dubsy in-game. Also, lol.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm one of those diablo 3 people.

I wish we would get some competition, though. Monopolization leads to stagnation.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    slapperfishslapperfish Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    (deleted)
    Post edited by slapperfish on
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was tempted to downloaded it for the third time today, but then the terrible
    fixed camera just makes me feel like my computer is broken.
    Cryptic is making the same mistake in Neverwinter although not nearly as bad as that wretched character diminishing perspective in the new Diablo licensee.

Champions Online Forever!
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm one of those diablo 3 people.

I wish we would get some competition, though. Monopolization leads to stagnation.
    You know, i'm not a heavy diablo'er but I have to admit, i felt both torchlight 2 and sacred 2 were, at the very elast, comparable to everything i saw in diablo 3 during open beta weekened. so as competition goes, it really seems to be a case of perception relative to actual quality.(in fact id say that torchlight 2 has a lot more in class variance, on my berzerker while im seeing a lot of the standard direct damage and self damage buffs, i'm also seeing a fair amount of controls and pet abilities.)
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Torchlight.

Titan Quest.

Divine Divinity.

Sacred.

All Diablo clones. All have had some measure of success.

Compared to the Marvel license? Champions is small fry.

Don't count your chickens until they've hatched.
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Played many like jenny, but i have been a hardcore Diablo 2 player since launch.

Besides CO, im on Diablo 2, Minecraft/Terraria and Second Life.
    (*pokes everyone* Terraria news: Official Content Boost announced! Theyre working on it again!)
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Marvel Heroes is a fun game. Wholly different from CO. It's comparing apples to sea shells. That said, it's a lot of fun and does enough (IMO) to make it more than just another Diablo clone.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I want to be a Hulk Clone!
  • Options
    sverbridgesverbridge Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was play testing this when it was in closed and was unimpressed. My computer was way over the basic reqs they wanted and I was having a hard time doing anything. I got bored really fast. I'll stay with CO.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I really don't think a real competitor coming up would convince PWE to spend money on this game.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    I want to be a Hulk Clone!

Says the guy who I saw running around with a Xi'an Coy Manh clone:rolleyes:
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I really don't think a real competitor coming up would convince PWE to spend money on this game.

Especially since Cryptic said they are not in the business to compete against other games. If they were the standards would be way too high.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its not the same type of game as CO also people can play more than one game.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Its not the same type of game as CO also people can play more than one game.

But even if a true competitor did show up... their lack of action when City was shut down leads me to believe that they wouldn't really care if most of the population in this game jumped ship.

They appear to be completely ambivalent about this game.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Finally Smackwell can play Wolverine as he was truly meant to be played!!

......I should run, shouldn't I? *runs far. Runs fast. Runs deep and silent*

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wolverine>Spiderman

There is now a mmorpg with the stats to prove it.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But even if a true competitor did show up... their lack of action when City was shut down leads me to believe that they wouldn't really care if most of the population in this game jumped ship.

They appear to be completely ambivalent about this game.

Oh, the complacency... You could practically hear Jack saying, "Where else are you going to go? DCUO? Have fun being a sidekick. Here's a double XP weekend, now stop bothering me. I'm trying to figure out how to give Neverwinter credit for inventing Shift-to-block defense mechanics."

That said, Cryptic's response to a new competitor would probably depend on what they consider their competition. Right now, DCUO doesn't qualify because players' creative agency, CO's bread and butter, always takes a back seat to DC's lore. Plan Z is, to be harshly brief, two bickering camps of CoH exiles noodling around in ZBrush and Unreal Development Kit. Marvel Diablo is right out. If Plan Z becomes something viable, maybe Cryptic steps up their game to hold off the upstarts. If SOE uses Origin Crisis to someday spin off an alt universe where players have more creative control, I could foresee Cryptic abandoning ship.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends