test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arc and should we be worried?

wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
So one of the new things being advertised on STO right now is ARC. It's basically like Origin for PWE. Much like the core connect it doesn't work for Cryptic right now from what i'm told, but there are a lot of people giving feed back in the thread.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=727231

I was going to see what the feedback was here and there was no mention of it yet. Granted its still early on so they might not have posted it yet, but at the same time i couldn't help but think that if they didn't it simply meant more doom and gloom for the Champions.

What does every body think of the Arc? I'm really negative about it given how origin went as well as what little trust i have in Either PWE or Cryptic, but i'm still curious what others see in it. What pros and cons might we expect?
Post edited by wraithshadow13 on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So STO is now finally worthy enough of a nonPWE game to get "Core Connect".
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Check out these awesome benefits for Arc users:

News - Receive the latest news across games with embedded updates from Arc.
    Billing - Easily recharge and transfer ZEN across games through a variety of payment methods.

Browse - Arc's In-Game Overlay with fully functional web browser will allow you access the forums or browse the internet.

Support - Contact Customer Service with a click of the button and easily send in a ticket to request assistance.

Connect - Check out what your friends are playing and connect with them on Arc's built-in messenger.

Notifications ? Get the most out of your online gaming experience and never miss another event with the in-game notification system.

Coupons ? Arc users will receive exclusive promotions and coupons when available.

News: Is that really all that important for CO for which there is little news ?

Billing: sure I suppose.

Browse: Oddly enough I have the ability to access the forums or browse the internet without this. Perhaps PWE is not aware of the existence of more browsers than I care to count.

Support: Umm, yeah. Ive got tickets without response dating back to 2009. The one time I got a response to a ticket the CS agent berated me for bothering them by sending it in. Can't say that I really believe that moving the contact support button to a new overlay will improve matters.

Connect: I am not sure how this will allow me to see what games my friends are playing. Have other companies signed onto ARC ?

Notifications: In game events ?

Coupons: Will these coupons be usable outside of Cryptic/PWE games ?

More power to Cryptic/PWE. It is very nice to see them attempting to expand upon their product branding in this manner. Tying it all together like this could have a significant impact on cross title playing and revenue.

BUT,

Almost no relevance to CO.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what I can see it's a glorified version of Sony's station launcher. It's a place to launch all your games and for them to spam you with offers, stuff and moar stuff. I doubt there is anything to fear, unless it becomes mandatory.

I'll wait until they make it mandatory to work up a suitable rage/quit thread. :tongue:
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play CO through Steam. Not gonna install a second gaming platform. Moving on.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    More power to Cryptic/PWE. It is very nice to see them attempting to expand upon their product branding in this manner. Tying it all together like this could have a significant impact on cross title playing and revenue.

BUT,

Almost no relevance to CO.

The Trade channel has helped encourage more players on NWO to try out and play CO than Cryptic has tried to do on its own.
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey look! It's like Steam & Origin, only with WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY less games, and even less use than Origin (which is saying something). I likey Steam, but this isn't even close to that. Nothing to see here, move along... :rolleyes: Besides, as I think somebody else pointed out, they couldn't even integrated CO into the "Core Connect" website functionalities.. Why should I give a crap about this?
  • clockwiseclockwise Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually like in-game browsers, even if they're lame compared to full-featured ones outside the game. Some people's computers can't handle tabbing in and out very well, so having the capacity to browse within the game can be a very useful feature.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was Dubsy on the Old Forums. I am still @Dubsy in-game. Also, lol.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was afraid for a moment that my supergroup went berserk.
    clockwise wrote: »
    I actually like in-game browsers, even if they're lame compared to full-featured ones outside the game. Some people's computers can't handle tabbing in and out very well, so having the capacity to browse within the game can be a very useful feature.

Less of an excuse for Cryptic games - their game engine, when set to "fullscreen windowed" mode, actually handles tabbing really smoothly.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So one of the new things being advertised on STO right now is ARC. It's basically like Origin for PWE. Much like the core connect it doesn't work for Cryptic right now from what i'm told, but there are a lot of people giving feed back in the thread.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=727231

I was going to see what the feedback was here and there was no mention of it yet. Granted its still early on so they might not have posted it yet, but at the same time i couldn't help but think that if they didn't it simply meant more doom and gloom for the Champions.

What does every body think of the Arc? I'm really negative about it given how origin went as well as what little trust i have in Either PWE or Cryptic, but i'm still curious what others see in it. What pros and cons might we expect?

bloatware, you can already run all of their games without some stupid oversaturated launcher, plus the websites, plus steam. Waste of money on their part. But don't tell em that you'll make the guy who designed that stupid thing feel bad.....if he can even understand you.

Yeah PWE I get it, everyone is doing it, but just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it cool.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We have the Coupons option, so now we can finally have some use for it!
    Or, this ARC has as much use in CO as C.O.R.E. has with it's 'character display' and 'achievements/tokenshop'....

And the most likely option is......What's behind Door#2?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • combatclown81combatclown81 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I don't know why you hate steam. It is very useful and has tons of games. Sales very often. I've gotten so many top tier games on the cheap from that its ridiculous. Big money saver.

However steam is enough. I'm already annoyed that I had to get uplay so i could play FC3 and FC3 : Blood Dragon. If this arc becomes mandatory I will no longer play any PWE games. Which would make me sad because I love Champions. I have played it since Beta and have kept playing it even though pretty much my entire guild has stopped.
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't know why you hate steam. It is very useful and has tons of games. Sales very often. I've gotten so many top tier games on the cheap from that its ridiculous. Big money saver.

However steam is enough. I'm already annoyed that I had to get uplay so i could play FC3 and FC3 : Blood Dragon. If this arc becomes mandatory I will no longer play any PWE games. Which would make me sad because I love Champions. I have played it since Beta and have kept playing it even though pretty much my entire guild has stopped.

Steam is a security risk.

I'm on disability.... for "paranoia"

Steam and my mind do not mix well. even trying to make a Steam account causes bad psychological, and physical reactions in me, simply because the security risks are to vast.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I bought both Civ 5 and Skyrim from big box stores, they both have mandatory steam usage. I am not paranoid, but I am not sure why I have to run a third party program to start my games now...it's annoying. I have followed both those series since their first iterations, and due to this new trend to run third party programs I will probably be forced out of gaming.

Everyone wants to gather and sell your info...they never ask to buy it off you directly though:confused:they just take it the shady way.
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I bought both Civ 5 and Skyrim from big box stores, they both have mandatory steam usage. I am not paranoid, but I am not sure why I have to run a third party program to start my games now...it's annoying. I have followed both those series since their first iterations, and due to this new trend to run third party programs I will probably be forced out of gaming.

Everyone wants to gather and sell your info...they never ask to buy it off you directly though:confused:they just take it the shady way.

*smiles* you reminded me that I left out that I also played Civ from Civ to Civ IV, and mysteriously "lost interest in it" when I heard Civ 5 was going to only be run on Steam.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You know me ima normally shouting stuff like ITS A PILE OF CRAPO! :O

But this I like . Just saying I actually do like it.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited June 2013
    *smiles* you reminded me that I left out that I also played Civ from Civ to Civ IV, and mysteriously "lost interest in it" when I heard Civ 5 was going to only be run on Steam.

III and IV are better anyways. V has no histogram (my fave part) and no little movie when you build a wonder, and Steam.
  • ukatoenasniukatoenasni Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't really care as long as it doesn't become mandatory.

I know way more peeps on Steam than I do on PWE games (though it would give me an excuse to try more stuff when bored). If it's not mandatory, though, it doesn't really affect me all that much, and thus it's hard to work up any specific feeling one way or another.

It seems to be a 'new common' thing for Asian-market game producers/developers (NCSoft has it, Sony has had it forever..). I suppose success breeds imitation after all.

[SIGPIC]Also, this poster rambles.[/SIGPIC]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Considering as i said how Core connect still doesn't work for Cryptic, i'm not really sure how this will work out either, but my faith in it is quite low at the moment. I don't trust PWE and their offers (like free Zen from surveys), i can't trust cryptic(too many lies and false statements), It just seems very unnecessary to me and if it did indeed go mandatory then i doubt i would stick with it.

Seeing how we didn't even get the notice until after i posted this, and even then we didn't get the forum post on it, i'm still worried that it's bad news for CO as it is, but if they make ARC a requirement that doesn't even work properly for Cryptic games then it does seem to be a rock bottom point for this game and possibly the other two.

The only real feature that would interest me would be if i were allowed to transfer Zen between games directly, but that would have to require stipend as well. I'm just that against this Arc thing, but we all know that's not going to happen.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    News - Receive the latest news across games with embedded updates from Arc.

Wonder if this means we get the spam messages across the middle of the screen like from lokcboxes or the scrolling acheivements list on the PWI site from all thegames.

Either way, I can't see any reason on that list to get this and if it does go in, it'll be turned off.
    I play one game.
    I can already talk to people in two other games.
    Events get notified in our game already.
    Billing- no use to me.
    Coupons- I know where to find them.
    Messages- I can already send to people.

Wonder how much they are going to start charging for it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A Steam knockoff does not a good development company make.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I gave it a try.

It's a launcher and updater.

It has some extra Steam-like stuff attached.

Mostly harmless.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I gave it a shot. For being an installer/launcher of PWE games, seems it does that job well enough. It properly did detect my currently installed games (CO, STO, and NW). I've uninstalled it for now though, since I don't feel I care much for it. I'd be more interested in Arc if the following were to happen:
    • Make it so the updater to Arc doesn't need system admin rights each time it runs (when I boot up).
    • Make the extra features work with Cryptic games. But I guess that would mean getting CORE Connect to do so first...
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am not paranoid, but I am not sure why I have to run a third party program to start my games now...it's annoying.

Reasonably certain it has something to do with DRM and the multiplayer mode.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited June 2013
    Seems reasonable. I still don't like 3rd part programs being required. Were CD Keys not working?

Oh and I would like to see wooden Cthulu...where is the link?!?!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Did I read it works with Shift+Tab?
    Doesn't that break our blocking?

I've tried Shift + a key for some powers and it tends to make blocking not respond.
    keikomyst wrote: »
    A Steam knockoff does not a good development company make.

Its a shame they abandoned the Steam commnunity.
    12 Million players to advertise to. A few thousand at least that accessed the forums there.
    Abandoned. Forgotten. Wasted.