test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So you thought getting chat banned was bad?

vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=702731

(inb4 I get banned for linking that.)
Post edited by vikaernes on

Comments

• Options
    oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nxnovacat wrote: »
    People are now trying to name there characters after these gold spam websites with the intention of trying to get people of typing these names into chat to get them banned. Freaking fix the problem Cryptic.
    Oh boy.

On the bright side, since STO is making a fuss about it and Cryptic pays attention to that game, there is still a chance it will be changed.

And pigs might fly one day too.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes that is worse especially since you seem to have people who are deliberately trying to get people to say the banning words, just to get them banned.

The fact that no one seems to be getting the warning messages needs to be looked into fast.

The trolls who are doing this for amusement need to be located and banned themselves.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL.

No seriously, I laughed out loud.

I honestly never imagined that Cryptic could implement something worse than the player controlled chatban system.

My apologies to Cryptic. I seriously underestimated your dedication to making questionable decisions.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vikaernes wrote: »
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=702731

(inb4 I get banned for linking that.)
    I think you should post it on the Neverwinter forums.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, what, Cryptic/Worlds' solution to the Chat/Ban issue is to make us WISTFUL for it!?!?!?

You may want to avoid the Neverstopwhining, er, Neverwinter, I mean, Forums for a few decades or so. Otherwise the collective Nerd Rage could actually blow out your monitor screen:rolleyes:

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    So, what, Cryptic/Worlds' solution to the Chat/Ban issue is to make us WISTFUL for it!?!?!?

You may want to avoid the Neverstopwhining, er, Neverwinter, I mean, Forums for a few decades or so. Otherwise the collective Nerd Rage could actually blow out your monitor screen:rolleyes:

You mean Notawinner?
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting since I don't know what the word is that gets you auto-banned so I won't accidentally type it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Auto-banning. Jesus.

This, is, by far... the...

I...

After 12 years of military service, I have some extremely colorful ways of describing stupidity. I have vivid metaphors that have been known to crush the souls, minds, and hearts of all but the strongest men. I have described stupidity in ways that will make you cry, laugh, vomit, and find a new god.

But for the first time, I don't have words for this.

Because I never knew this kind of stupid could exist.
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think you should post it on the Neverwinter forums.

The resulting catastrophe might be more entertaining than any piece of content Cryptic will release this year.
  • Options
    typhonustyphonus Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, this is by far the simplest solution for gold farmers spamming addresses.

That's not to say simple is necessarily good.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?308721-Might-wanna-read-Perma-Bans-for-using-certain-words&p=3994001#post3994001

I... I had to. I'm sorry.

Sorry, I love CO. I don't wanna be banned. But at the same time I respect my fellow gamer, and I think it's only fair that they should know about it.

If this gets me booted from the forums- love y'all.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?308721-Might-wanna-read-Perma-Bans-for-using-certain-words&p=3994001#post3994001

Sorry, I love CO. I don't wanna be banned. But at the same time I respect my fellow gamer, and I think it's only fair that they should know about it.

The link you posted on the Neverwinter forum doesn't work, looks like it was truncated at some point.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Not to worry. It's in the Off Topic Forum now. And the Link no longer works. So they covered their tracks already.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Both of the chatban and this new autoban thing have no place in an online game.

Player's should never ever have that kind of power over others. Any reports should go directly to a gm, who investigates the matter. The GM then decides the correct course of action.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    draogn wrote: »

Player's should never ever have that kind of power over others. Any reports should go directly to a gm, who investigates the matter. The GM then decides the correct course of action.

Agreed.

Any sufficiently large group, in an online setting, will have griefers.

Gaming companies know this.

Cryptic is a gaming company.

These systems can be used by griefers to ban other players, in whole or in part, from the games.

Therefore

Cryptic knowingly gave griefers the tools needed to deny the service to other players.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If you ever have taken a look into F2P Games like Cabal Online you would have been grateful for such an autoban mechanism. In these games you really log in and have already 100 coulums of spam bevor you find iut how to disable the chat and are already annoyed as hell.

Of course that should not happen after posting a website once .. but if you maybe post the same website 10+ times in an hour .. yeah goodbye spammer.

Also .. that is not that other players here have the power to ban you .. its yourself.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

I will pass along your feedback, but this system is currently in place and working the way it should. If you see anyone trying to trick others, please report them to a GM immediately so an investigation take place and appropriate action taken.

(AKA: IT'S WORKING AS INTENDED.)
    You know what that means!

To note: Players are given a detailed warning stating what they did wrong, and to not do it again, before being banned -- continuing to do it past the warning will cause the ban. The warning is there for a reason :)

(GOOD THING THAT WARNING DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXIST.)
    Or it is just broken

If you have a friend of fleet-mate that would like to appeal the ban, please have them reach out to our GM team via the methods listed here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=267893

(Translation: We promise we will get to your appeal in about never.)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

(Translation: Please stop posting about this.)
    From this post.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    If you ever have taken a look into F2P Games like Cabal Online you would have been grateful for such an autoban mechanism. In these games you really log in and have already 100 coulums of spam bevor you find iut how to disable the chat and are already annoyed as hell.

Of course that should not happen after posting a website once .. but if you maybe post the same website 10+ times in an hour .. yeah goodbye spammer.

Also .. that is not that other players here have the power to ban you .. its yourself.

No, I wouldn't be grateful for this, I stand by my statement that players should never have this kind of power. These systems and the spam are some of the reasons f2p games have such a negative reputation. The report spam and ignore features should only block you from seeing the players posts, it should not prevent them from interacting with others.

Other players do have the power to get you banned, simply by tricking the unaware into saying specific words. Especially since it doesn't appear that they announced this feature at anytime.

It was an extremely shortsighted and poorly thoughtout decision to put these in place.

This kind of system is a good way to kill any good that the company has done, there are many players, who may or may not visit forums, if falsely banned by this system (or any system) will leave, tell their friends, and never return.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone? Anyone want to help me out here so I don't end up typing the auto banning word by typo or mistake?

You can PM me or something with spaces in the words or type a series of made up words capitalizing the letters of that word so I know to avoid it.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Buxom I'm not sure why you need that sort of information. If you're afraid of accidentally getting yourself auto-banned then you'd only need to worry if your normal in-game conversations refer to certain RMT gold sale sites by name.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know, I never once felt actually pissed toward the PWE / Cryptic despite all the problems with them, just sheer disappointment, until now. This is genuinely making me want to hit something just thinking about how they actually thought this was a good idea at all.

I want to meet whoever it is who had the power to give the go-ahead to implement this god-awful system and slap them hard with a leek, Miku Hatsune style.

Cryptic, your player support is TERRIBLE
    and there is absolutely no assurance that you will rectify any misuse of the system in a speedy manner for the victim of the misuse. If you cannot provide that assurance, then you have no bloody business coming out with it.

STOP MAKING YOUR PLAYERS SUFFER FOR YOUR INCOMPETENCE IN NOT HAVING A PROPER MODERATION STAFF AGAINST GOLD SPAMMERS.

Buxom I'm not sure why you need that sort of information. If you're afraid of accidentally getting yourself auto-banned then you'd only need to worry if your normal in-game conversations refer to certain RMT gold sale sites by name.

It doesn't hurt to actually know what names they are to avoid being blind-sided in advanced. The names could be the most unexpected and mundane.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So you don't have to worry about being penalized for your words, so long as you're not saying anything wrong?

lmao.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not knowing what the name is, it might be possible to input it accidentally. One poster on the STO forums regaled us with the tale of his automatic account ban - caused when he said in chat that he had trimmed 3mm off the bottom of his cabinet that morning. I'm not sure which part of that tripped the "gold spam" trigger, but something did, apparently.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to wonder if Cryptic management thinks of these new bright ideas fully sober or if they're thrown around the table following drug-addled debaucheries.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Not knowing what the name is, it might be possible to input it accidentally. One poster on the STO forums regaled us with the tale of his automatic account ban - caused when he said in chat that he had trimmed 3mm off the bottom of his cabinet that morning. I'm not sure which part of that tripped the "gold spam" trigger, but something did, apparently.

I tried searching on Google with the keywords "3mm", "trimmed", "cabinet" and "bottom", adding the relevant term variables behind them regarding the context of this topic.

So far I've found nothing in the search results that links any of those words to MMO RMT be it names of companies, services or just plain website names. Either Cryptic have really done their homework and have managed to detect REALLY obscure RMT sites that even Google has trouble finding, or this system just plain isn't working properly.

This is really stupid. I could unwittingly use a word that's coincidentally associated with a RMT website and get unfairly punished for it, like what happened with that STO player. What the actual bleeping bleep Cryptic? Do you seriously want us to just stop communicating with others in fear of risking this new automute?

So you figured that having the system only detect full URLs can be easily avoided, and this is your solution?

What the hell man? Trailturtle, RESPOND ON THE MATTER PLEASE.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10369901&postcount=136
    askray wrote: »
    I get it sucks being banned by an auto system however in my personal opinion that is the best option. It'll get the majority of spammers (and no just doing spaces or _ or / in between words most likely won't help since they've probably used a regex) and yes sadly there will be some people hit on accident. But unbanning those accidentally hit is faster than having to deal with the spammers. However, yes they should have mentioned this was going to go in to the chat system but really and to be totally fair, most people wouldn't read that it was added and still be in here complaining :P

Well lookie here folks.

The risk of innocent players "hit on accident" with this system is acceptable! Acceptable coallateral right??

The best option indeed!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    What the hell man? Trailturtle, RESPOND ON THE MATTER PLEASE.

To be fair, I dunno if I would say this is really an issue for TT. This is something going on in STO, not CO. My concern is, all of the worst ideas from STO, and, none of the good ones seem to make their way down to CO. I bring it up here, so people will know exactly what's going on there, well beforehand.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vikaernes wrote: »
    To be fair, I dunno if I would say this is really an issue for TT. This is something going on in STO, not CO. My concern is, all of the worst ideas from STO, and, none of the good ones seem to make their way down to CO. I bring it up here, so people will know exactly what's going on there, well beforehand.

Then I want to see a confirmation from TT, from any Cryptic official for that matter, to openly declare that this system hasn't been stealth-implemented in CO or whether or not it will be in the near future if it hasn't already.

By the way, I found the post from the STO player who got hit by it, the one Jon was talking about:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10383521&postcount=160
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10369901&postcount=136

Well lookie here folks.

The risk of innocent players "hit on accident" with this system is acceptable! Acceptable coallateral right??

The best option indeed!

Wow, Cryptic's staff is full of cretins.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The guy is a Community Moderator, just like Smackwell here. He isn't staff, and a controversial opinion like that one is likely the very reason they have the signature that they do.
    edited May 2013

The guy in your link is a community mod, like Smackwell. Its still a terrible opinion though.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »

For ****s and giggles I tried doing the exact same thing the guy in STO did that got him banned, but in Champions.

No system messages, no sudden disconnections and no ban was placed on my account. Said it in local, said it in zone and even whispered it to a buddy who had absolutely no idea what was going on or why I was modifying my cabinets at three thirty in the morning.

So IF this system in in Champions then it seems that phrase was removed from the trigger list. I highly doubt Champions is using the system anyway; there hasn't been any RMT spammers in this game for years so it would be unnecessary.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't hurt to actually know what names they are to avoid being blind-sided in advanced. The names could be the most unexpected and mundane.

The thread linked in the OP made mention of a "five letter name". A quick Google search for "Star Trek Online energy credits" (that I won't link because EVERY site that comes up is bad) reveals only two high-ranked results with five-letter names. One is MMO followed by two letters that you are very unlikely to use in combination with the former, unless you are specifically referring to that site. The other is a letter, a number, and the word "buy". Again, an unlikely combo to accidentally type.

Edit: This post has a third site name, which is equally unlikely to be unintentionally used.
    edited May 2013
    All I can think of to say at this point is -

Cryptic Studios - The Roger Corman of the MMO Gaming world
  • Options
    notburningchicknotburningchick Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can see this in a few different ways.

Cynical, "Well, yeah, of course Cryptic's going to be aggressive with RMT sites -- they're going after OUR marks!"

Less cynical, "Cryptic's trying to make the best of a bad situation by automating a system and not tying up GM resources."

Nostalgic, "CoH used an ignore system that flagged spammers for manual GM attention. There were few, if any, false positives ... even if it might take hours for spammers to get nuked."

But, seriously, I just can't wrap my head around why a social gaming company would arbitrarily remove the social from its games with an automated process.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just when I think Cryptic cant get even more dumb :<
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, I wouldn't be grateful for this, I stand by my statement that players should never have this kind of power. These systems and the spam are some of the reasons f2p games have such a negative reputation. The report spam and ignore features should only block you from seeing the players posts, it should not prevent them from interacting with others.

Other players do have the power to get you banned, simply by tricking the unaware into saying specific words. Especially since it doesn't appear that they announced this feature at anytime.

It was an extremely shortsighted and poorly thoughtout decision to put these in place.

This kind of system is a good way to kill any good that the company has done, there are many players, who may or may not visit forums, if falsely banned by this system (or any system) will leave, tell their friends, and never return.

You haven't understood what i said i think .. its not that OTHER PLAYERS have any power here .. its just that you ban yourself if you spam something like :

BEST GOLD .. www.blagoldbla.com

10+ times in a short timeframe into the chat.

Of course if other people say : Hey please do the goldspam for me and post that 10+ times in the next hour .. and you really do it .. then you do the job of a Goldspammer.

And i also said that it of course should not happen if you do it only once .. but at least 10+ times in an hor ..
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Then I want to see a confirmation from TT, from any Cryptic official for that matter, to openly declare that this system hasn't been stealth-implemented in CO or whether or not it will be in the near future if it hasn't already.

By the way, I found the post from the STO player who got hit by it, the one Jon was talking about:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10383521&postcount=160
    He did follow up later and said the mess was cleared up. I simply find it unpleasant that it could happen in the first place. Such matters should always be handled by a live GM, even if that means a goldspammer gets away with it for a couple of days.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Or if people in CO start doing the same junk as those in STO and adding it to character names and trying to get people to say their name.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    You haven't understood what i said i think .. its not that OTHER PLAYERS have any power here .. its just that you ban yourself if you spam something like :

BEST GOLD .. www.blagoldbla.com

10+ times in a short timeframe into the chat.

Of course if other people say : Hey please do the goldspam for me and post that 10+ times in the next hour .. and you really do it .. then you do the job of a Goldspammer.

And i also said that it of course should not happen if you do it only once .. but at least 10+ times in an hor ..

I understood what you said, but currently it is being reported that isn't how this is working. A single word triggers it, which opens up a whole new can of worms for censorship.

We found out about this system when another player in STO was banned because of it, and if you read the STO thread regarding this, there have already been instances of others trying to trick public chat. This system has given players the power to get others banned, by simply asking a question in the public chat.

The chat ban system is annoying and shouldn't be in the game, but this system is terrible. It will just push people away, there are players out there will simply move on to other games if they were falsely banned, and if these same people were to talk to their friends.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The guy is a Community Moderator, just like Smackwell here. He isn't staff, and a controversial opinion like that one is likely the very reason they have the signature that they do.
    The guy in your link is a community mod, like Smackwell. Its still a terrible opinion though.

Huh, for some reason I read that as Community Manager.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm.. I hear whenever you use a telepathy power your account loses .00001 Zen.

The only way to replenish your Zen is to pay for a crap subscription to the PTS.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's not .0001 zen, it's 10% of your damage across all your characters gets wiped. thats why they won't put it on live, too many people would complain about the rest fo their characetr s being nerfed
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rose-colored-glasses.jpg
    lol.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    cutter187cutter187 Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well that's it for me. I can't support that kind of corruption. It's lazy, uninterested, uncaring, greediness that promotes decisions to implement something like that. People like a personal touch when it comes to solving problems and this is about as far away from that as you can get, just like the auto mute system.

I'm voting with my dollar and canceling two accounts. This company does not in any way deserve my money. If you have a care, you'll do the same.