test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please Stop Downscaling Us

sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
I checked with LordGar, it'll be 30, as with other custom alerts. So far as I'm aware, this alert will function just the same as other custom alerts.

(I am quoting this for reference, rather than a jab at TT or any one person in particular).

This is in reference to the Forum Malvanum Event that's getting its conclusion soon.

I just want to talk about my concerns with this whole level 30 thing in a reasonable manner, because I keep getting mixed messages about how I should be playing the game.

First off, progression here is level-based. We don't just unlock new abilities, like in some MMOs, but we get new gear with higher numbers. We get stats boosts with higher numbers. We have a number under our portrait that (usually) goes up. The damage we do goes up. Why, after our goal and reward for doing missions is to grow in power and take on larger threats, do we get forcibly scaled down in power? Why do all numbers go down if you've reached the top level? Why does the new content we are hungry for make us weaker?

Is it to make content more accessible to people?

Since I started playing this game, more than three years ago, the vast majority of content revamps and content updates were either for lower levels, or for scalable content. The only endgame content we had was Nemesis Confrontation, Vibora Bay and Gravitar. We haven't received any revamps for endgame lairs, and they're still running off their intial 2009 design.

Vibora Bay is not nearly as active as it used to be (but still more active than Lemuria). But a ton of people still play NemCon, despite it being level 40 only. There is enough content for people who don't have an endgame toon to play, but not putting in more endgame just means that when they insatiably reach the level cap, they'll have nothing to do after a while. If the amount of stuff there is right now isn't enough incentive for them to play the game "till the end", they are likely not going to be worth the effort to cater new instanced content to.

The sidekicking system does not work:

I assume, in theory, that the sidekicking system is made to have people contribute equally, regardless of level, but in practice, it does not work. Whenever you play an alert, if 2 or 3 of your teammates are sufficiently lower level, you will most likely fail. If you are level 40, you are roughly weaker by 50%.

That means, that the only people who are unaffected and have the system work in their favor are levels 25-30. After 30, you will progressively do less damage. Before level 25, you are essentially a handicap for your teammates.

We have the Skull difficulty:

The events that used the skull difficulty didn't work properly because bosses got Zerg rushed, but with a decent number of people fighting, everyone felt like they were doing something. That's the thing we needed in alerts. I don't know if it stopped working or the people who know how it work left, but that is far more enjoyable than what you are doing with using Level 30 as the magic number.

You keep buffing and buffing and buffing us:

You keep trying to make us more powerful with more and more updates making characters reach obscene levels of power compared to everything else. Rather than scale the threats around us, you just gut people down and make them weaker? This is really conflicting messaging, as you're telling us we're growing in power, while then taking said power away from us. It may be the optimal mathematical solution, I don't know what your numbers behind the scenes tell you, but on this side of the monitor, it makes a lot of us feel like crap.

We should be wearing our Sunday Best:

We are about to go into SPACE.

We are about to punch SPACE GLADIATORS IN THE FREAKING FACE SO HARD THEY WILL FLY INTO THE MILKY WAY AND BE A SPARKLE IN THE SKY WHILE WE MAKE GOD HAND REFERENCES AND QUOTES.

When I do this, I want the SPACE GLADIATOR to think OH MY GOD IT'S A BEAR YELLING AT ME DOING OBSCENE DAMAGE OH WOE IS ME EARTH IS FULL OF BADASS MOFOS YOU WIN EARTH HERE IS AN APPROPRIATELY-LEVELLED PIECE OF LOOT THAT WILL MAKE EVERYONE KNOW HOW BADASS YOU ARE.

I cannot do this if I am weaker than the guy who hasn't even earned his UNITY invitation yet.

So please, stop downscaling us and making us feel weaker with new events instead of stronger or more important.
Post edited by sekimen on

Comments

• honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the majority of this.
  • isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Scaling everyone down to level 30 is a major failure in communication. They must not realize how much it sucks for us, and how unnecessary it is for the population as a whole.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agreed 100%. This game is missing ENDGAME content. Taking endgame content, scaling it down to mid level, and then letting everyone from level 6 up is not fun. It's either boring because it's been dumbed down to let the lowbies succeed, or frustrating because you never know when you'll be stuck with one other 40 and 8 level 6-10s.

Endgame content should be hard (but completable) for ATs, challenging for the average freeform, and possibly even hard enough to pose an occasional risk to those crazy powerful top-tier builds. Not lowbie-friendly enemies armed with nerf rifles.
    sekimen wrote: »
    I want ... AN APPROPRIATELY-LEVELLED PIECE OF LOOT

Aren't you supposed to be a communist?
    Aren't you supposed to be a communist?

I did not say that others shouldn't get appropriately-leveled loot as well!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mentella as well as the entire Summerstone sisterhood agrees with the notion to stop the stupid downscaling.

There doesnt seem to be any need for it, its more like an insult than anything else, IMO.

Yes they are meant to be gladiators but some of us would backhand them into next week.

Keep us at lvl 40 and just have differently tiered instances if you must, lvl 10-15, 16-20, 21-25, 26-30, 31-37 and 38-40.

That way at least all would be catered for. No point nerfing everyone...no one likes ending up like Telepathy :rolleyes:
  • thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Keep us at lvl 40 and just have differently tiered instances if you must, lvl 10-15, 16-20, 21-25, 26-30, 31-37 and 38-40.

That way at least all would be catered for.

Except those whose tiered instances never pop for lack of people, which in a game with such a loww population as CO would mean more or less everyone, except maybe L40.

Tiering would need to be done with or maybe three tiers tops.

The preferable solution, however, would be an intelligent re-design of the sidekicking system.
    1. Unlock extra powers for people scaling up.
    a. Which should be trivial for ATs that have a set progression, anyways.
    b. Which for Freeforms could be done at least by giving them powers based on their primary (EB) power set.
    c. This means unlocking Secondary Superstats, too.

2. Actually scale powers up.
    a. If you stick with scaling to level 30, that would mean at the very least slapping R2 on everything flat.
    b. Better yet, use an intelligent matrix .
    I. Entirely possibly for ATs. No Unleashed will ever rank up What's That Useless Force Power Again?, but Balde Beyond The Veil is a given.
    II. For freeforms, much trickier. May have to stick with R2 flat here.

3. On upscaling, buff superstats, offense and defense to account for gear differences.
    a. You developed the game, ou must have an idea of average expected values by level.
    b. <expected value @ target level> - <expected value @ current level> = <required buff>

Of course, I expect Cryptic to actually get to work on an update like this about the time they finally start fixing the Nemesis system, so Kingdom Come, give or take a few days.

As such, yeah, tier stuff already, but only three tiers. I'd suggest 5-15 (enemies balanced for characters only having one secondary superstat!), 16-30 (which should work by slightly debuffing everything in current alerts, or by keeping it as is and saying "people was asking for more of a challenge"), and 31+ (scaled to, *gasp* 40!).
  • bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the op. People need a reason to level and goals to reach, they don't need those type of things brought to them they need to earn them.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sekimen wrote: »
    I cannot do this if I am weaker than the guy who hasn't even earned his UNITY invitation yet.

Thirty tons of truth in a one ton bag.
    biffsig.jpg
  • mushermusher Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I may have a solution for this, right here: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=223291
    Mentella as well as the entire Summerstone sisterhood agrees with the notion to stop the stupid downscaling.

There doesnt seem to be any need for it, its more like an insult than anything else, IMO.

Yes they are meant to be gladiators but some of us would backhand them into next week.

That way at least all would be catered for. No point nerfing everyone...no one likes ending up like Telepathy :rolleyes:

Yeah! I mean I made the choice to not make a Telepathy toon just to avoid being Nerfed!:wink: Booo to 30! OP I agree with everything you have said.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agree with the OP. Stop nerf and stop to do level 30 scaling content !
    Do level 40 content, or content scaling but with level 40 as normal scale and not 30.

@cryptic:
    A game with no challenge AND no end game is a game with 3 or 4 instances of 50-90 people, a fail who don't have enough money to have devs and to create new content (other than anorexic content every 3 or 6 months).

Until you won't understand that, Cryptic, Co won't be a success (if this is possible one day, seeing like is it now).

Resume : STOP WITH LEVEL 30 SCALING CONTENT, SCALE IT WITH LEVEL 40.
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off I like level scaling it lets every one take part we receive so little content that any content we receive should be open to as many people as possible.

Yet why Cap it at 30? why not cap it at 40 it would seem to make more sense. Or hows about a sliding scale with the alert scaleing to the highest member of the team?
  • sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also agree with the bear.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As per normal The Bear's logic is sound.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited May 2013
    Let the wookiee win 8| just do it
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    100% agreed.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic doesn't consider Alert content to be worthy of max level characters. Otherwise they would have designed it in mind when they made the Alert system in the first place.

Putting that into consideration, are regular Alerts supposed to help players level to max so they can do all the cool event stuff at high levels?

Granting access to these event Custom Alerts to anyone under level 15 is punishing everyone else. Not because they are hurting players from winning or being a burden, but because they didn't earn it.

Getting to 15 isn't difficult at all. Getting to 30 takes some time but if you are playing a game it should be a milestone worth achieving to play the special content.

I think custom alerts should be minimum of 30 regardless.
  • yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    / agree... make ALL alerts level 40
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They don't have the technology. They can make us faster, better and stronger. But they can't match the game for our power. This has been the issue in the past and it will be the issue in the future.
    How short that future may ever be.
    I can't really care anymore.
    Over and out.

Guess what mr. Casse has to say.
    Russell-Casse-independence-day-film-15737697-200-200.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2013
    Granting access to these event Custom Alerts to anyone under level 15 is punishing everyone else.

Quoted for truth. Im sick of solo-ing for 3-4 leechers at a time. A lot of them go in knowing themselves that theyre useless, so sit back and pray by chance a freeform or good high level archetype player comes in and gives them a free win.
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I personally am happy that all my toonz will be able to enjoy the event.

Even with the downscaling 40s will still be more than abl to handle the event.
    Heck you guys get more powers and statz to make up for it!

I think you oldies need to stop being so entitled, and start being more appreciative.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, i have no issue with scaling to 30 if you're 30 and below, it makes sense as well as gives players the alerts which can really help grinding. But what i don't like is being scaled back to 30, it makes less sense as well as defeats the purpose of being 10 levels higher if the only content worth running for me is the NemCon. it really does make me feel that much weaker when i have to fight a single villain with 4 other people beating on him and my stats and gear don't even work right, which in a level 40 build can some times mean a LOT.

Why can't you just scale every one up to 30 and let the 30+ crowd remain 30+? We're not running the alerts because they're so fun or challenging. Maybe even do something like STO's stfs where there is the normal and elite versions of alerts, but lock it to 30+ for elites?

If batman goes into a fight with green arrow, he's not going to take off the utility belt to let green arrow have a chance to hit the bad guy, no, he's going to go in full force to get the job done.

Terrible example but you get the point. Don't scale people back when they've worked hard to build up their characters.
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oliver and Bruce are pretty much on par.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You keep telling you're self that Captain
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    I personally am happy that all my toonz will be able to enjoy the event.

Even with the downscaling 40s will still be more than abl to handle the event.
    Heck you guys get more powers and statz to make up for it!

I think you oldies need to stop being so entitled, and start being more appreciative.

It's like I'm really reading a post from The_Last...
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    Oliver and Bruce are pretty much on par.

...equivalent level of nonsense and everything.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why can't you just scale every one up to 30 and let the 30+ crowd remain 30+? We're not running the alerts because they're so fun or challenging. Maybe even do something like STO's stfs where there is the normal and elite versions of alerts, but lock it to 30+ for elites?

The last time we got something that STO had that was cool, their devs bitched until it was removed. because they thought it would drag players from their game to something that the players might think is better.

RIP Air guitar
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The last time we got something that STO had that was cool, their devs bitched until it was removed. because they thought it would drag players from their game to something that the players might think is better.

RIP Air guitar

Nominally, we lost those emotes because we were getting them for free while STO players would have to buy them in C-Store, which didn't sit too well with the trekkies.

The real reason we lost those emotes is because somebody, somewhere in Cryptic, came to the baffling conclusion that they "couldn't" sell emote packs in CO's C-Store. We got some BS answer that didn't make it clear if it was a technical limitation or just a management decision. Either way, I think the only emotes we've received since then were the harajuku wave and peace sign emotes in the Harajuku Twins sidekick pack. Yes, that means we wound up buying emotes in C-Store. Curious. (Did we get a new dance, too? I thought there was another emote or two that trickled in, but I'm fuzzy on that.)

Meanwhile, I took a quick look at STO's C-Store, and I don't see any emotes for sale. Did they never get them either, are they bought with dilithium, or did they end up getting them for free anyway? (Note to any Cryptic personnel reading this: There is a wrong answer to that question.)
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends