test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In what state are the servers located?

serarelmserarelm Posts: 9 Arc User
Just curious because PDT/PST places them 3 hours behind mine, but the listed times for the subforums are always 4 hours, not 3.:confused:
Post edited by serarelm on

Comments

• flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The time shown on the forums is either GMT+0 (if you aren't logged in or don't set your time zone), or whatever time zone you set in your User Control Panel.
    Yes, but the main forums and these sub forums have a 1 hour discrepancy. The main forums (which list the sub forums) is properly showing the time of each post, but the sub forums (the one this thread is in, for example) are showing a different time. I'm just curious about it since I always check the Super News forum for outage updates and the time throws me off.
    edited May 2013
    I'm not seeing anywhere that gives me a time other than what my computer's clock shows. Could you provide to a link that shows a different time than this thread?
    Scroll to the bottom of the page.

I see where I can set a location (which I did), but, unless something in the forum software is parsing that into a timezone, that doesn't affect the time display at the moment (it didn't).

Is it possible that it doesn't account for daylight savings time? It would be correct for the west coast during standard time.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited May 2013
    These forums are so broken. They really need to update them. I can't find the time zone setting either, though I know I set one when I registered.

I just checked every forum and sub-forum, plus a few random threads. The time at the bottom of the page on every one of them matched my computer clock. I have no idea why you would be seeing different times on any one of them.
    They are located in a State all their own, located somewhere between the State of Emergency, the State of Disaster, and the State of Disgrace. I had assumed that meant New Jersey, but apparently I was mistaken.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The physical state in which the servers exist is California, specifically near San Jose.

The metaphorical state in which the servers exist is Continual Panic. This leads many players to exist in a state of Confused Despair.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    The physical state in which the servers exist is California, specifically near San Jose.

The metaphorical state in which the servers exist is Continual Panic. This leads many players to exist in a state of Confused Despair.

Welcome to the Hotel California!

Such a lovely place...

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They reside in the state of disarray...amirite??

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Such a lovely place...
    Interesting metaphor, especially considering that under f2p, "canceling" your account means nothing.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave... :cool:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Actually, if I'm not mistaken; while Cryptic studios HQ is in CA; the actual game servers for all Cryptic MMOs are in a datacenter in Boston, MA. (One time they were having their own IP connectivity issues, and could push a build to the servers as a result.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sure they're not in the State of Denial :)
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's in a state of trance.

6.jpg
  • originaltygeroriginaltyger Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting metaphor, especially considering that under f2p, "canceling" your account means nothing.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave... :cool:

'They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast'

Sounds like certain Alert nems to me.
  • isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken; while Cryptic studios HQ is in CA; the actual game servers for all Cryptic MMOs are in a datacenter in Boston, MA. (One time they were having their own IP connectivity issues, and could push a build to the servers as a result.)

Yeah, I remember them telling us this once too.