test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

cryptic: an embarrasement of great potential wasted due to bad management

frankendreadzfrankendreadz Posts: 75 Arc User
Well we all know this is that case atm
even with their other products their method of implementation is more haste rather than getting it right.
When u compare them to other developers under PW unbrella they are sorely lacking.
I recently went to have a look at another game within PW called blacklight retribution and I was surprised with how well their implementation and cycling of updates and changes is very good...
They have adoped the requirement that PW wanted, it took time and effort but now its there and working fine. I know its a pay to win model, but a lot of FTP games are.
Now with cryptic the problem is not the lack of talent, they have that in spades, but the shoddyness of their development lifecycle
We have a game here, which if this was implemented correctly, would not still have bugs htat are over 3 years old. Now I don't know about you, but thats just shocking and unprofessional. Now what is hte effect of this, it hits their reputation and therefore their revenue stream. Who is gonna ask them to develop anything new, if htey just cannot maintain correctly what they have now. To point out, this is nothing to do with new content, thats a seperate issue. People, i.e. clients/customers are spending their cash, time on an series of IPs. They could at least make sure that ALL bugs are fixed and corrected. It might take time, but in thel ong run it will be worth it. You get your reputation back, people will be appreciated and therefore recommend their products. This leads to greater revenue which can be given as profit to shareholders and or redistributed to new and or improvements. Only concentrating on one revenure stream is not the answer. It foolish and very shortsighted and lazy. In the end you will be seen as a snake in grass bunch of time waster and will loose a lot of revenue from that stance.
Post edited by frankendreadz on

Comments

• diablerietandinodiablerietandino Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guessing you haven't played mmos for very long. I do not know a single MMO out there that is completely bug free. It just comes with the territory. Now granted, some are less buggy than others, but it happens. Mocking people and calling them unprofessional just shows how immature you are. You make it sound as if the game is never patched, or tweaked, which is completely untrue. I've played champs for a while now and while there are some bugs that pop up, it's not as if it's anything that renders the game unplayable. It takes no energy whatsoever to blanketly criticize, why not start a thread listing the bugs that are giving you the most trouble?You might get a better response if you organize your thoughts and launch fewer attacks at the employees which just seems to be the thing a lot of people do, no matter, the game (am almost certain if you go to blacklight's forums there will be people there posting threads just like yours.)
  • frankendreadzfrankendreadz Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stop being a fan boy I've been playing since beta and have palyed a load of mmos
    This is a practical critisim of how they are running this current IP if you not got anything practical to stay, please don't.
    If my opinions offends, then thats your problem.
    I do know about bugs, been in IT for over 20 years, but the way cryptic is run compared to others out there its is beyond a joke. quite frankly it IS unprofessional. Most of my career has been about troubleshoot systems, procedures and code, the one thing it has come down to each time is people!
    The level of minor bugs which some of them have been outstanding since lauch in CO is unexceptable. It shows poor procedures and quality control. I am begining to doubt that if they have any actual day to day procedures, that it is not being followed. The worst is that people are paying for what is overall a faulty product. Usually most software faults are fixed and rectified, but other new ones reoccur. If a proper code management structure were in place a lot of re-occuring faults would vansih. This is not the case with Cryptic and their development models.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,618 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic is trying to run TWO of the most played games of PW as well as that one game that has the most customizable free to use character creator in the game world.

Its not about how you can compare it to other PW run games.

Though I'm not denying that Cryptic has a lot of issues. You're only as strong as your weakest link. Champions should be considered a prime example of how they work as a whole. This should not be considered an insult considering that CO is the most fun game despite having no updates.
    edited May 2013
    Have to agree and also mention it best points to be fair
    tehre are 3 things i do like
    1: customisation
    In the 2 IPs I've played by them this was a winning factor to me
    no other mmo comes close
    the nearest is DCUO so far... but still not close
    2: power builds
    For freeform this is theo nly way for me to play... I love coming on and try out new builds
    3: the community
    I've met quite a lot of long time players and compared to most online communities, they have been fun, annoying, funny, helpful, angry, nerdy, torlling, spamin, piss takers but they are some of the best I've enountered.
    Those are the main reason I come back again and agian... and it is a shame that these strenghs are not uphold
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guessing you haven't played mmos for very long. I do not know a single MMO out there that is completely bug free. It just comes with the territory. Now granted, some are less buggy than others, but it happens. Mocking people and calling them unprofessional just shows how immature you are. You make it sound as if the game is never patched, or tweaked, which is completely untrue. I've played champs for a while now and while there are some bugs that pop up, it's not as if it's anything that renders the game unplayable. It takes no energy whatsoever to blanketly criticize, why not start a thread listing the bugs that are giving you the most trouble?You might get a better response if you organize your thoughts and launch fewer attacks at the employees which just seems to be the thing a lot of people do, no matter, the game (am almost certain if you go to blacklight's forums there will be people there posting threads just like yours.)

It doesn't really matter how we post, questions remain unanswered. The bugs from the original beta remain a problem, concerns get ignored or brushed aside. Being nice hasn't done anything for the game.

People have tried the 'post a list of bugs' thing, that didn't work either. This game could be so much better, but the potential is being wasted.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blacklight retribution was the one which came out before Nevermind, of course its getting updates. Its less than a year old
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    Blacklight retribution was the one which came out before Nevermind, of course its getting updates. Its less than a year old

actually it a lot older than that .. retribution is just another one of those updates it has recieved I thin kthe FTP model is I'm correct.
    My comments are addressed to the way the 2 houses "zombie" and "cryptic" have dealt with their IPs
    In my opinion zomibe has a more pro feel to its development and lifecycle
    that is the heart of my issue
    IN IT overall, a culture of slackness and redirection has become the norm compared to actually delivering a decent product
    If I bought say a TV that when I started it it only sometimes produce a picture, then say about 18 months later is may actually work for a bit.
    Wrote in to complain about it and there is no responce how would you as the comsumer feel..
    I don't see why this kind of conduct should be acceptable
    Its unbecoming and childish.
    Most people put up with it due to the high level of jargonsim and smokescreening that happens, so they just switch off.
    I'm sorry but in no other field is responsibility for your actions is lacking...
    christ even retail has a consumer law and practice in place.. In IT its just not enforced... So its become the dumping ground of slackness
    For example the recent outages over the servers. If you back track it , you prob find is due to someone not bothered to do what they are paid for.
  • muon2muonmuon2muon Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cam into Cryptic games via neverwinter.

But I a leaving due to stuff like this.

After browsing the CO forums, I don't think this game is much better off.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guessing you haven't played mmos for very long. I do not know a single MMO out there that is completely bug free. It just comes with the territory. Now granted, some are less buggy than others, but it happens. Mocking people and calling them unprofessional just shows how immature you are. You make it sound as if the game is never patched, or tweaked, which is completely untrue. I've played champs for a while now and while there are some bugs that pop up, it's not as if it's anything that renders the game unplayable.

And how long have you played it ? If you have played it for longer, all you have to do is look at the patchlogs before and after Vehicle Online, and you will see that they are maybe not even 1% anymore of what we had before.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    muon2muon wrote: »

WHOA HOLY CRAP!

That's just... INSANE.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Hmmmm you think they would have learned when the economy in this game was ruined similarly.

If CO is any indication they will do nothing about it and a few exploiters will now control the economy.

I have no time to play Neverwinter with its extremely high pricing for everything. No thanks I want a life beyond my computer screen.
    edited May 2013

Are that also again exploits from the so much wanted Foundry here .. or from regular gameplay ? I couldn't really see that even after reading 6 pages in that thread :confused:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    Are that also again exploits from the so much wanted Foundry here .. or from regular gameplay ? I couldn't really see that even after reading 6 pages in that thread :confused:

That's from content Cryptic made. I think specifically from a couple of bosses that were bugged.

The Foundry had* it's share of exploits going on but in the form of speed leveling that made Smash Alert farming look like a joke.

* - those exploitation maps still pop up but the XP and gear gains from Foundry maps took a serious hit to compensate
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do find some of the bugs to be down right shameful and pathetic. Mainly the costume ones, such as several of the shoulder pieces being uneven, and mainly a couple of chest pieces making your arms disappear-Nighthawk and hi-pan's dragon armor. I am sorry, letting that get into the game and ignoring the bug reports is rather inexcusable. Not to mention the fact that they put out Lemurian pieces in the recognition vender (yes i know there are more that have this bug) that dont unlock for the account, then put them into the invasion (still bugged.)

I think people would be much less annoyed if more of the obvious bugs were fixed. Or if we actually got some patch notes stating they fixed some things.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That is... LOL.

... lmao.
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Wow.... that's pretty bad.

Feels like I wasted 60 dollars now.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This exploit sounds terrible. If what's being said is true, the exploiter is able to "cash in" and make thousands of real money?

It should be a no-brainer to see that kind of pay-off is worth getting caught and banned for. Just get a new account and do it all over again until it gets fixed. Lovely. It's also sad to see that there are players in the thread who don't see the gravity of the issue and are dismissing it as nothing to worry about. This sort of thing can potentially drive players, especially paying ones, away.

EDIT: Just noticed this post from page 20 of that thread:
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Given that PWE haven't banned anyone ADVERTISING IN ZONE CHAT FOR EXPLOIT PARTIES, I really doubt they will ban people over this or any other exploit.

Hahahahaha...

Poor guy doesn't realize that Cryptic doesn't have an ingame moderating staff, and expects players to do the work for them by using report spam.
  • x0y1x0y1 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sad but it's true. I play MMOs since the M59/UO age and I can't remember one game with so many exploits going on as NWO atm. There will be another patch to fix a few more exploits today but seriously WTF.

Biggest mistage ever was to let the auction house even run with astral diamonds (questionite) so you cash in Zen. Now add that all epic items (epic dungeon loot/pvp items/whatever) is bind on equip and people can one shot elite boss mobs or do even worse things the ruined the market within one week.............

Pretty much done with that game. :rolleyes:
    edited May 2013
    One of the biggest mistakes was also that they don't had an open Beta, and just released it without testing with masses of players.

And yes .. it is released .. they take real money for items .. that alone is enough, and also on the english version of the PW webpage it is marked with the released symbol.

On the german its however not even released at all :rolleyes:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited May 2013

Things like this one made me very sad about NW.
    Because it's a fun little game but with current amount of bugs and exploits going there it may never live up to it's potential.

Sadly, it has a few signs of rushed release.
    It should be in a real open beta, with no money transactions accepted and then wiped after all the most dangerous bugs and exploits were removed.
    Instead Cryptic managed to put themselves in situation like this with no server reset at the horizon, hurting the game in the long run and giving it only a bad PR.

It's still not a bad game, casual players can have fun with it and Foundry is a really nice feature.
    But casuals only are not enough to drive a MMO and current situation is driving off competitive players.
    Too bad NW was already crippled with accepting money transactions, thus reached a dead end where server wipe may not be even possible.
    I really wonder if Cryptic can do anything serious to fix it and improve future of NW, or if this game is also going the CO route.

It's a pity. it seems that Cryptic can do games rather well, but shouldn't be allowed to manage them.

Still, I wonder if this amount of negativity on NW forums is really needed.
    This game is new and likely will change. People there should be more patient.
  • mrinfinitummrinfinitum Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I guess they COULD still mark everything that was paid for by real world monies with some sort of code attachment (detailing what was paid for it and whom/which PWE account it now belongs to). Wipe NWO servers...Reload servers with improved/bug-fixed code, and finally filter-in the items to the respective players as they create new accounts in NWO and so forth. "Filter"ing above referring to removing any specifically-bugged equipment, game breaking, etc...

Now, if it would only SEEM that the network/servers for Cryptic's current MMOs weren't stepping on each other HARDCORE.

Of course, from my point of view, I don't see why Cryptic hasn't had the few devs they have on CO do the same thing over time....then when are finally prepared to initiate the new code, fixed from the ground up (and with MetaData) they warn everybody that they are about to fix MOST of the bugs and perform something like the triage above. =)
  • seiberkagenekoseiberkageneko Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Things like this one made me very sad about NW.
    Because it's a fun little game but with current amount of bugs and exploits going there it may never live up to it's potential.

Sadly, it has a few signs of rushed release.
    It should be in a real open beta, with no money transactions accepted and then wiped after all the most dangerous bugs and exploits were removed.
    Instead Cryptic managed to put themselves in situation like this with no server reset at the horizon, hurting the game in the long run and giving it only a bad PR.

It's still not a bad game, casual players can have fun with it and Foundry is a really nice feature.
    But casuals only are not enough to drive a MMO and current situation is driving off competitive players.
    Too bad NW was already crippled with accepting money transactions, thus reached a dead end where server wipe may not be even possible.
    I really wonder if Cryptic can do anything serious to fix it and improve future of NW, or if this game is also going the CO route.

It's a pity. it seems that Cryptic can do games rather well, but shouldn't be allowed to manage them.

Still, I wonder if this amount of negativity on NW forums is really needed.
    This game is new and likely will change. People there should be more patient.

PWE doesn't care about bad PR though. They're untouchable. I can draw some serious parallels to people I know in the real world here, people that **** off every day, don't do a damn thing and expect everyone else to pick up after them, and then don't get any kind of retribution afterwards because their boss won't do anything. PWE is that person. They're not going to do anything because they don't have to. WIthout punishment there's no incentive, and we certainly can't punish them.

The best we can hope for at this point is that they just don't outright close CO, because they're not going to do anything with it. They're not going to do anything with any of their properties(except Star Trek).