test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for heavy/med rp groups

perennialjourneyperennialjourney Posts: 12 Arc User
I'm lookin for groups, but I'm not sure which ones are active or not. There's a lost, but its not too informative which are still around.
Post edited by perennialjourney on

Comments

• gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Blackwatch Defenders is a Medium to Heavy RP SG

Since their rocky beginnings in WW2 the Blackwatch has kept an eye on the world and the dangers that threaten it, ready and able to fight for freedom, hope and to end tyranny. Like their founder, the Blackwatch is a little wild, weird and sometimes controversial. They may not be the heroes the world expects but they do the job that has to be done.

We have weekly events and random strangeness!

Please check out our site or our thread for more information.

Blackwatch Defenders

Contact us for more information.

@Zodii
    @God_of_War_Ares
    @Lochehart
    @forgemccain

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • perennialjourneyperennialjourney Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems pretty neat. If I can figure out this application, I'll give it a shot. Not sure how well my character will jive with this group but we'll see.
    edited May 2013
    This is a bit harder than I thought. It's not like I'm playing some grimdark antihero who just blows things up or some demon from hell, but my current character just doesn't fit in with some of the active Super Groups.

He can't really fit in with people who are sticklers for procedure or people that are completely intolerant about killing. Iron Man killed. Captain America killed. Wolverine killed. Batman in the movies has had people die. It's not that my character is some extremist renegade, it's just that sometimes killing can't be avoided.

As for the procedure and registration advocates. Sure, the lore of Champions Online states that most if not all Supers are registered with the government. And I'm not 100% sure if this is ever addressed in story or not, but what about the people who don't want to register? Isn't this the plot of Marvel Civil War? Characters aren't always trusting of authority or government, especially when it comes to regulating what are for the most part, law-abiding citizens with freedoms.

I would like to find a cool RP group to bop around with, I just don't think my character could hang with either of those groups.
  • rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me suggest taking a look at The Ring of Water. They are a small group of excellent RP-ers. They focus on stories with a darker, more supernatural, bent. They will kill when necessary, but take no pleasure in it.

"No Killing" is a staple of many heroes, and it's often considered one of those RP taboos in the superhero genre. In my experience, few RP-ers will play out the consequences of killing. Characters move along without changes in public perception, personal reflection, or legal inquiry. For many SG's, it's easier to set a "No Killing" rule to avoid the issues common around those stories, characters, and players.

I consider playing a "killing" character varsity level RP. I've only seen it done well a few times. It might be necessary to demonstrate to a SG you have the chops for it; play an alternate character for a while as to build up some social capital.

I also find the circumstances putting a superhero in a position where they need to consider killing someone pretty rare. I am, however, digging the ethical quandaries and discussion around killing explored by Age of Ultron.

Best of luck in finding a good fit. Please let us know where you land.

[Edit] The question of registration in the Champions universe is the core of Dark Champions, the game's darker, more vigilante based setting.
    a
    edited May 2013
    They're cool, though my character isn't magic-based. Still, could be worth looking into. Seems to be somewhat active-ish, and is fairly open ended as opposed to the tightness of other groups.
    edited May 2013
    They're cool, though my character isn't magic-based. Still, could be worth looking into. Seems to be somewhat active-ish, and is fairly open ended as opposed to the tightness of other groups.

Ring of Water accepts non magic based characters. The big consideration when looking at the group is size. While they are growing, they are pretty small, currently.
    A
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a bit harder than I thought. It's not like I'm playing some grimdark antihero who just blows things up or some demon from hell, but my current character just doesn't fit in with some of the active Super Groups.

I can't speak for any other groups but I'll try and address the Blackwatch's stance with these issues..
    He can't really fit in with people who are sticklers for procedure or people that are completely intolerant about killing. Iron Man killed. Captain America killed. Wolverine killed. Batman in the movies has had people die. It's not that my character is some extremist renegade, it's just that sometimes killing can't be avoided.

Killing is frowned upon and 'only in dire straights' because of two things.

One- Most groups have trouble with casual killers. The no kill rule prevents this, right up front, even if it's violated in practice when there's no other choice. No one's default solution should be death.

Two- There are exceptions recognized by the BWD. War [i.e. invasions], robots, magical critters and undead don't count. Also, sometimes it happens accidentaly, that's regretable but it happens.
    As for the procedure and registration advocates. Sure, the lore of Champions Online states that most if not all Supers are registered with the government. And I'm not 100% sure if this is ever addressed in story or not, but what about the people who don't want to register? Isn't this the plot of Marvel Civil War? Characters aren't always trusting of authority or government, especially when it comes to regulating what are for the most part, law-abiding citizens with freedoms.

In the case of the Blackwatch registration is part of the UNTIL Superhero Liaison Program, and secret id's are not required per se..
    Team members agree to reveal workable information about themselves and their powers to UNTIL. This does not obligate us to give details about methods or secrets. General testing will be required but no time frame or deadline is forced for this.

Team members will be asked for their secret identities but are not required to reveal them. Any 'working' names or aliases are required however; such as a hero name.

I hope this helps

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
    edited May 2013
    I understand the rules for "non killing" being... loose. But it really depends on how vague you want your line to be. My hero is a munitions user. Crackshot or no, anyone who has had any degree of firearms training knows that more often than not you aim for the center mass of your target. Kneecapping at close range is an effective, non-fatal technique to taking down enemies, but most characters who use these types of weapons are shooting to kill. That's just how you're trained to do it.

There are some "exceptions", like non-fatal shotgun rounds and stinger grenades, but when one of Munition's top skills is "Rocket Launcher", I think non-fatal options kinda goes out the window. I dunno how lenient Blackwatch or other groups are to a realistically played veteran soldier.

As for "working names", would having just his hero name suffice? Because he's not willing to disclose any other information to the government. There are several IC reasons for this that I don't wanna get into in a public forum. And he's not very willing to give an alias or pseudonym either.

I'm not trying to make this difficult on purpose, this character just probably isn't a good fit with the active SGs. ^^;
    edited May 2013
    I'm not trying to make this difficult on purpose, this character just probably isn't a good fit with the active SGs. ^^;

This sounds like a pretty mature realization. I find, trying to shoehorn a character into a group doesn't end up as fun for the character or group.

There can be a fair amount of handwavium when it comes to muni toons, though. I've used game devices such as non-lethal bullets to mystical weapons. My tank, Cygnet, used semi-automatic pistols crafted by Hephaestus. They never run out of ammo, nor do the bullets cause permanent harm.

Best of luck finding a fit.
    a