test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gadroon History?

xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
Does anyone know it? From the race's origins, to the current rulers and the current whereabouts of the entire Gadroon Armada?

Origin:
Ruler:
History:
Military:

Any of you know any of these? I'm looking to expand my character's history, and knowing more about the Gadroon would help immensely with this process. Thanks!
Post edited by xcaligax on

Comments

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Does anyone know it? From the race's origins, to the current rulers and the current whereabouts of the entire Gadroon Armada?

Origin:
    Ruler:
    History:
    Military:

Any of you know any of these? I'm looking to expand my character's history, and knowing more about the Gadroon would help immensely with this process. Thanks!

Fallen Sun Set forest (or something like that) in Canada has nodes of information regarding Gadroon in the form of correspondances. I think they are also in MC..

All I know is that their current ruler in game is referred to simply as the "Empress" and that she is not Gadroon...sorry that is of such little help :redface:
  • arcolfarcolf Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sadly, I'm stuck at work at the moment - but I know the information you seek is found in the Champions Beyond Lore Book - as it has an entire section on the Gadroon.

Once I'm off in roughly 3.5 hours, I can update this post with the information you seek.

My apologies for not being able to do so in a more timely manner.

Okay... Let me take a crack at this. Those are loaded questions you're asking.

I'll do my best to answer them thoroughly without copying and pasting directly from the lore book.

Origin(And History, It Seems!):
    The Gadroon hail from a planet that orbited a star in a similar fashion to Venus, resulting in the planet being a haven of hot and humid swamps and arid highlands.

The Gadroon, themselves, are almost amphibian... but are actually reptiles. The niches normally filled by mammals and birds on Earth were instead filled by reptiles and insects on Gadro(The Gadroon Homeworld) - and thus the Gadroon became the sentient species.

Around 20,000 years or so ago in the Champions Timeline, the Gadroon had achieved the first stage of civilization - and continued to evolve peacefully for a time. As with humans, resources and territory became a source of conflict among the Gadroonic territories. This resulted in physical capability and fighting prowess to become the most important values to the Gadroon, with other pursuits(such as culture and science) taking a backseat unless they could be applied to warfare.

What we'd consider the "medieval" age of the Gadroon's history was ruled by the "Kro'ang Empire", which was led by brilliant military leaders. After ruling nearly the entirety of the planet for quite some time, it fell into the same ruin as many empires - debauchery and decadence. However, the "Kro'ang" are still highly respected - and to describe a Gadroon soldier as being of them or like them is considered a heavy compliment.

A millenium or two of warfare between the nations following the fall of the Kro'ang saw the rise of the "To'lak Union", which came to rule the planet as the Kro'ang had. As with the Kro'ang, the To'lak also fell - but to a bloody civil war that dragged on for years and left the Union unable to assert dominance over the other countries, causing it to fade into obscurity.

Now, we're getting into the more recent stuff.

The Hwuldep Empire would become the rulers, having risen 300 years ago. This was the dawn of the Gadroon's Gravitic Technology as we know it. They conquered the entire planet easily within a span of three years or so. This would also be the last Gadroonic Empire.

Around a century or so ago, one of the empire's scientists made a rather costly error during his gravitic research. The magnetic shielding on the experiment failed, causing a gravitic wave to destroy the laboratory and sink into the planet. It didn't take long before the Gadroon's homeworld went the way of Krypton. The gravitic wave was making the planet tear itself apart, and there was nothing the Gadroon could do with their limited time.

Thus were the Gadroon forced to abandon their planet as it obliterated itself, losing their Emperor in the process.(He had stayed behind to take the very last ship so the innocents could escape).

They had only a few hundred or so survivors, a paltry amount in the face of the billions they had in the past.... and all packed into space-faring ships that were mostly built for military purposes. Naturally, they set off in search of a new world to call home, even having some that were promising... but had to be abandoned due to extremely virulent diseases that would've easily wiped them out.

Oh, they thought they found a real gem when they came across Earth. And it's a sore spot for them. Earth has a relatively large tropical and subtropical zone, and is full of natural resources. They also thought our "low tech civilization" would be great for slave labor. So, as expected, they invaded! - They -really- weren't expecting the superheroes.

Superpowers... something completely alien to the Gadroon. They'd never encountered it before arriving at Earth. After being pushed back three times, they finally managed to get a foothold in Canada during 2008. This was most likely due to the influence of Istvatha V'han, as they only succeeded due to new tactics. They haven't made any progress in this latest invasion, but they don't seem to be trying particularly hard.

In the meantime, as we've seen, they've been performing espionage within various major cities.

That's it for "Origin, which effectively covers their "History" as well.

I'll have to skip over "Ruler" as I don't have access to much information on Istvatha V'han.
    For that, you'll have to see "The Book of The Empress".

Moving on to "Military".

Military:

As stated in the origin section, the majority of the ships that successfully evaded the destruction of Gadro were Military Vessels of varying sorts. The other ships were originally civilian in design, but were equipped with weaponry and defenses to better protect themselves. As such, you may as well consider the entirety of the Gadroon fleet to be a military one, with each ship prepared to go into battle if necessary.

The ships are commanded by "Admirals", naturally, with two of said ships being Military Flagships from before the destruction of the planet. They're quite large, being manned by crews numbering in four figures - along with any civilian that can find a spot to live in said flagships.

Anyways, moving on to more militaristic concerns. The tactics normally employed by the Gadroon in space relied on large ships in the olden days - but the exodus fleet has had to adjust to utilizing modified civilian ships and other small vessels to fill a variety of roles.

Gadroon espionage is generally something to be admired, what with their holographic disguise devices. Well... Admired in -some- cases. It's advantageous as it makes the Gadroon using it look, feel, smell, and -sound- like whatever they're imitating. But Mentalists can see right through it with a simple mind scan.

The Disguise Devices generally come pre-set with 20 disguises, but they can also scan subjects(think Transformers scanning vehicles) to use their form as a disguise. The downside is that it is much like an early camera. They have to be perfectly still for an entire minute.

Now, onto their ships!

There's two examples of Gadroonic Ships. Their designs are sleek and slender, often angular, and they have Gravitic Drives that make them extremely fast and highly maneuverable compared to other species' starships of similar size. Their gravitic weaponry and defensive shields make them both hard-hitting and hard to take down.

The first type of ship we'll cover is called a "Druqo-Class Invader".

It's on the smaller side of things, crewed by thirty or so Gadroon. It's main purpose is landing assaults on both planets and space facilities, so it is able to freely fly into and out of atmospheres. It comes equipped with a rather large cannon, gravitic in nature, and seven or so smaller blasters spread over the ship.

These things are not to be underestimated. They can produce gravitic shock waves that can tear through structures and ships in a similar fashion to their homeworld.

Next is the Scoba-Class Warship.

This one is on the larger side, crewed by roughly 100 or so Gadroon. They have quite a few of these, too. This one is more or less a standard, featuring solid offenses(eight cannons) and solid defenses(a Gravitic Shielding that stops projectiles). It should be noted that said Gravitic Shielding is a mainstay on most, if not all, of the Gadroon's vessels.

On to another subject of the military. Addressing the "Superpowered" hurdle in their conquering of Earth.

Naturally, the Gadroon have kept up their technology and advancement in spite of losing their planet. Their Gravitic Weaponry is a fine example of this, but it's not limited to ships and general weaponry for soldiers.

The Gadroon are capable of producing tech along the lines of Powered Armor, with rather strong defensive shielding and devastatingly powerful weaponry. Not anywhere near the scale of Doctor Destroyer, mind you, but certainly a match for most Powered Armor heroes.

A mainstay of the Gadroon's soldiers would be their "Trigleps", or "arm shields". These are capable of firing the basic "gravitic bolts", but also have a function similar to a tractor beam to pull in the targets. Depending on the rank of the soldier, the "Triglep" has different weapons equipped. A Gravitic Shaper, for example, has the standard bolts and tractor beam, but they also have that ever-so- familiar black hole ability. While not particularly shown well in the game, this weapon is capable of stopping everything in an area from moving at all for a short time.

For some soldiers, the weaponry can be as much of a hindrance as a help. Take the Lancers, for example. Their Trigleps cover their entire hands, leaving them unable to pick up or manipulate anything other than the weapons.

This isn't to say the Gadroon rely strictly on technology, although they -do- use it to enhance themselves. Despite their diminutive size, they are quite strong, and their hand to hand combat prowess is a force to be recokoned with.

There's not much more information on the military, so we'll close with rankings.

At the bottom of the food chain would be the Gravitic Initiates and Pacifiers. At the middle of the command would be the Lancers and Adjudicators. Near the top would be the Gravitic Shapers - and naturally, at the very top would be the Fleet Admirals.

Not every Gadroon is part of the military, mind you, although some civilians do volunteer as militia and all ships -are- prepared to do battle if things are dire enough.

Miscellaneous information:

As an added bonus, here's some fun facts.

They aren't outright villains so much as an opposing nation. They have diffierent views from us, and act accordingly. This can lead to situations where we're fighting like cats and dogs one day, and cooperating against a threat another.

They still have some vestiges of culture, playing sports and games that are compatible with life aboard ships, and they still dabble in art and music. In fact, they dedicate many databanks on several ships -just- to the records of their historical music, art, and much more.

The Gadroon... they don't have much of a family life. They did, once, very similar to what humans have. But nowadays, the children are taken to incubation chambers to hatch and raised in a communal fashion. This is done so that the children serve the Gadroon as a whole, rather than having a preference for any set of parents. Nearly every adult on the ship a Gadroon child is born plays a part in teaching and raising them.

Despite their Exodus status, the Gadroon -do- have a Government. Or did, before Istvatha V'han. It still applies in some way to the ships, so I'll cover it.

This is going to be very similar to a certain other Exodus Species from another IP. The "Admirals", captains of the five largest ships in the fleet, convene in a council which follows pre-destruction Gadroonic laws(naturally, modified to fit Ship Life and the lack of a planet!)

Due to the nature of their.. uh, survival needs, fighting amongst the council isn't allowed. Majority rules, and anyone against the decision has to grit their teeth and bear it. They must do what the council vote decrees, no matter how violently they disagree with it.

The tallest Gadroon is roughly 1.4 meters, or roughly 4'7". The males and females look very similar - to the point where humans can't tell them apart. They generally have broad shoulders, wider than their slim waists, and they have short and slender legs. This makes them look understandably strange to humans, as the proportions don't seem to "click".

They only have four fingers on each hand(and foot), and their hands are typically smaller than a human's. This makes it difficult for the two species to utilize the other's devices.

Gadroon are incapable of naturally acquiring superpowers, but -can- be trained to their physical peak and utilize their technology - much like non-superpowered humans.

Their lifespans... Well, they used to be comparable to humans. But the lack of a world and all the fighting they have to do has lowered it dramatically. It used to be 80 years, but general life expectancy is probably half that these days, if only due to the constant fighting.

Now... for the most interesting part. And probably why the Gadroon follow Istvatha V'han(I really don't know. I don't have information on her beyond the In-Game lore.) -

Their main goal is to find a new homeworld.

Anyone that could find them a new homeworld would become the greatest hero the Gadroon have ever or will ever know. It doesn't matter what they are. Human, Monster, Dimensional Being, or even a Qularr!

That's all the information I have without directly copying and pasting from the Lorebook, lad.

My apologies if I was unable to convey the information properly, but I still hope it helps!

EDIT: Added additional information to the miscellaneous section - 5:50 PM EDT, 05/07/2013.
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arcolf wrote: »
    - big huge history lesson on Gadroon -

This is amazing. Thank you so much for this one. The information here helps me ALOT on where I want my PDB page history to go.:biggrin:
  • arcolfarcolf Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No worries, lad. I'm happy to help! :biggrin:

EDIT: 5:50 PM EDT - 05/07/2013:
    I should note that I added some additional information to the Miscellaneous Section regarding Gadroon Biology.