Install Arc

Future of CO after NWO?

Comments

• beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gaelyn1 wrote: »
    To be more accurate:
    35 instances at the f2p launch.
    16 instances after the july "hideout" kitchen sink patch.
    12 instances at november.

I can however remember that we also hat mostly 2-3 instances of Canada and the Desert in that time.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    I can however remember that we also hat mostly 2-3 instances of Canada and the Desert in that time.

I always accounted the lack of multiple Desert and Canada to the lack of need to go there with the low level arc revamps and then add alerts to the mix and few new players see a need to see the CO world. Even some vets prefer to just mash XP alerts with as little story arcs as possible.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arblaque wrote: »
    I always accounted the lack of multiple Desert and Canada to the lack of need to go there with the low level arc revamps and then add alerts to the mix and few new players see a need to see the CO world. Even some vets prefer to just mash XP alerts with as little story arcs as possible.

Yeah but that came after free to play.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pion01 wrote: »

Yeah but that came after free to play.

After On Alert, to be exactly.

The F2P patch actually made Canada an optional beginner zone, with the crisis accessable at level 9. But few people went there by comparison, because all the chat was in MC.
    edited May 2013
    What if I told you.

Thats just what I said.

Sorry for the late reply. But if I got you right, you said CO will die because the players are leaving for Neverwinter, not the Devs.
    edited May 2013
    After On Alert, to be exactly.

The F2P patch actually made Canada an optional beginner zone, with the crisis accessable at level 9. But few people went there by comparison, because all the chat was in MC.

Canada Crisis was level 6 until On Alert, only the Desert was changed to 15 before that. But that worked good for me, normally started Canada and switched to the Desert after that.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Who knows it looks like Neverwinter is giving Cryptic some good rep. If they were to try another super mmo I reckon they should make up a new IP to give the game that CoH feel.

Good rep?

Last I checked, other than the people who dont care about such things, the majority of what NWO is getting so far is being criticized for how blatant and greedy the game is about forcing you to use the cash shop.
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    *If* the devs had given the game the attention it needed

If this game had been given the attention it needed, it would have actually blown past CoH in terms of general popularity.

If this game had been given the attention it needed, the community would be at least an order of magnitude larger than it is, even now.

If this game had been given the attention it needed, the game would be at least twice the size (in number of zones) and twice as dense (in terms of amount of content), as well as twice as complex (in terms of number of in-game systems at play).

If this game had been given the attention it needed, it would still be actively developed.

But Cryptic basically fell on sword of lazy arrogance then keeled over, head-first down the outhouse of skinflint cheapness.
  • evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been in a holding pattern over CO for a while now, but the only thing that's keeping me in said pattern is the assumption that we'll see developers and resources returned after NWO launches... but is that a reasonable expectation?

I haven't been able to find anything official that confirms or denies developers were transferred to the NWO project, much less that development in CO will return to the levels we enjoyed prior to On Alert; so this tiny hope that there will be something worth returning to in the future is nothing more than speculation based on speculation.

Am I wrong? If so, could someone please link me to the relevant information? If not, I'm going to find something else more worthwhile to occupy the 9.52GB of space CO is taking up.

Like Queen's Blade Online.

Just kidding, I already tried QBO and it's pretty terrible.

It'll probably be another day in thier world even after NW finishes and releases officially. It'll probably be another reason to continue the same way it is now. Prior to NW, there wasnt much and doubt afterwards there will be much. It's probably will be one of those constant "tomorrow" "after this game" "after that game" situations. Meaning CO probably will continue to be pushed to the back burner for as long as they can continue to think of any little reason to continue doing so.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right now PWE folks are screaming and scrabbling to grab buckets to catch the deluge of falling money.

While I am absolutely certain CO could be wildly successful with proper attention, I don't think any normal money guy is going to look a the two games and back CO.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited May 2013
    Since the day Roper threw a hissy fit over the customers complaining that Vibora Bay shouldn't cost money the game has been on a downward slope.

Before. The general pattern of not listening to players and being dismissive has been around since alpha.
    edited May 2013
    Sorry for the late reply. But if I got you right, you said CO will die because the players are leaving for Neverwinter, not the Devs.

Yeah. The devs aren't leaving. They left. Long ago.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well CO seems full again ( For CO ) at 1 pm there was the best part of 800 peeps on thats alright that average . We all freaked out last week when at the same time 7 days ago 200 people were on. Just seemed peeps were trying out the new shiny. Now they have returned :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried out the new shiny. Some cool bits, but I don't know if I'll ever get used to their control scheme - I keep sliding off to the side when I'm trying to turn. Besides, the character graphics suck. So I'm back to defending Millennium City and environs with my panoply of superhuman powers! :smile:

From the looks of the population, seems like I'm not the only one...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well CO seems full again ( For CO ) at 1 pm there was the best part of 800 peeps on thats alright that average . We all freaked out last week when at the same time 7 days ago 200 people were on. Just seemed peeps were trying out the new shiny. Now they have returned :P

Yes. That's what I expected. Still loved seeing all the doom and gloom posts about how people have left CO right after NW wen't open beta.
    jonsills wrote:
    I tried out the new shiny. Some cool bits, but I don't know if I'll ever get used to their control scheme - I keep sliding off to the side when I'm trying to turn. Besides, the character graphics suck. So I'm back to defending Millennium City and environs with my panoply of superhuman powers!

From the looks of the population, seems like I'm not the only one...

I personally have been enjoying NW. I don't need the graphics to be top of the line. That'd probably lag me out. The control scheme does take some getting used to at first. If you've played other action MMO's, it'll be more familiar (using mouse for turning and mouse clicks for basic attacks). I've been liking it NW's setup a LOT more than other action MMO's control schemes though. I don't need to do keyboard acrobatics with my keyboard hand to hit all my special attacks (like... DCUO), or rapid fire mouseclick combinations (DCUO and Vindictus... like I really want to wear out my mouse buttons).

That said, I do kind of wish you could scroll-wheel zoom in and out regularly (can only do so if you go into "inspect mode", but you can't move then).
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited May 2013
    Jon, when you say the character graphics suck, what do you mean?

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Turn post processing off and the graphics get better.

NWO will not replace CO for me. It is fun but I love to fly, and everything is more expensive in NWO. They almost had me, but that made the choice even easier.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    Turn post processing off and the graphics get better.

NWO will not replace CO for me. It is fun but I love to fly, and everything is more expensive in NWO. They almost had me, but that made the choice even easier.

I think respeccing is really their worst offender. All other stuff I can get with, but damn.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    On the other hand, respeccing isn't hugely important because the range of options is pretty limited.

On the gripping hand, the range of options is pretty limited.

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think respeccing is really their worst offender. All other stuff I can get with, but damn.

And I bet its because of a "game dynamic" reason. It is D&D after all. Subpar but still D&D...in name only.
    edited May 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    I personally have been enjoying NW. I don't need the graphics to be top of the line. That'd probably lag me out. The control scheme does take some getting used to at first. If you've played other action MMO's, it'll be more familiar (using mouse for turning and mouse clicks for basic attacks). I've been liking it NW's setup a LOT more than other action MMO's control schemes though. I don't need to do keyboard acrobatics with my keyboard hand to hit all my special attacks (like... DCUO), or rapid fire mouseclick combinations (DCUO and Vindictus... like I really want to wear out my mouse buttons).

That said, I do kind of wish you could scroll-wheel zoom in and out regularly (can only do so if you go into "inspect mode", but you can't move then).

I already deleted DCUO and Vindictus after 10 minutes of trying to play them, since i simply hate this kind of controls .. and the same happend with NWO. Really .. since this is the same engine .. why don't the at least give us an option to play like any other MMO.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Jon, when you say the character graphics suck, what do you mean?
    I mean the graphic display of my toon on-screen is about on a par with what I'd see on CO with Half-Graphics on. I looked, and there's no Half-Graphics toggle in NW.

My control issue is that when I'm moving the mouse around to try to retarget my attacks, unless I manage to move my hand in an almost perfectly straight line, I wind up looking down at the action from above, rather than seeing things from behind my character. It's a tad disorienting. I like our control scheme better.

Overall, I'll play NW when I really need a D&D fix - but it's strictly secondary (possibly tertiary, because I play STO as a secondary game now).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Overall, I'll play NW when I really need a D&D fix - but it's strictly secondary (possibly tertiary, because I play STO as a secondary game now).

Why not just play NWN1/2? Both games have healthy online communities and actually make an attempt to be a DnD game.

You can get both at GOG.com for fairly cheap.
    edited May 2013
    I mean the graphic display of my toon on-screen is about on a par with what I'd see on CO with Half-Graphics on. I looked, and there's no Half-Graphics toggle in NW.

Huh. That's weird. The models in NW look substantially better/detailed/etc. to me than in CO. (If horribly limited)

• nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It does, though they changed the name for it. Its' the slider in your Video settings above the Quality slider; I forget the name of it and don't especially feel like signing in just to get the proper name for ya.

Its' also under Troubleshooting, which only appears when you check the Advanced box.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Huh. That's weird. The models in NW look substantially better/detailed/etc. to me than in CO. (If horribly limited)

To me each has there own good parts. Sliders in NW just don't seem to really matter all that much.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited May 2013
    kallethen wrote: »

You can move and fight in inspect mode, but not talk, open or otherwise interact with the envoirment. Also, it hides the whole HUD.
    Cursor mode is the one you can't even move in.
    edited May 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    To me each has there own good parts. Sliders in NW just don't seem to really matter all that much.

Well, yeah... that's why I said 'horribly limited.'

I think NW characters look better (texture and detail wise), but the ability to customize characters is very very limited. I ADORE the level of control you have in CO. Heck, you almost have more flexibility in designing characters in STO within a race (let alone the greater breadth of Alien option).

It's a definite - in my 'game tally,' and I have a very faint hope that they are planning on expanding options at some point soon. Possibly the options are limited for open beta while they hammer out higher priority concerns.

Or not, we'll see.

edited May 2013
    nazaca wrote: »
    It does, though they changed the name for it. Its' the slider in your Video settings above the Quality slider; I forget the name of it and don't especially feel like signing in just to get the proper name for ya.

Its' also under Troubleshooting, which only appears when you check the Advanced box.
    Okay, found the slider and slid it aaaalll the way to the right. Slows the game down a bit, but at least it doesn't make my half-orc Great Weapon Fighter look like Missingno.

Still no replacement for flying around Mill City with Short Circuit or Happifun, though. :smile:

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    from the nevermind forums, this is off page 16 or 17 of the chat ban thread, Original is post 150 in response to Rokuro's post

Quote Originally Posted by mosnacky01 View Post
    If that is true why has STO increased it dev team twice in the past three years? Also my boyfriend just finished interviewing for Cryptic as a graphic artist, he told me they are adding people and quite a few to that team specifically, because he really wanted a position on the STO team. They also told him in the interview that the Nevrwinter team is expected to grow by half again in the next two years. I just don't feel your information is accurate.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited May 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    Quote Originally Posted by mosnacky01 View Post
    If that is true why has STO increased it dev team twice in the past three years? Also my boyfriend just finished interviewing for Cryptic as a graphic artist, he told me they are adding people and quite a few to that team specifically, because he really wanted a position on the STO team. They also told him in the interview that the Nevrwinter team is expected to grow by half again in the next two years. I just don't feel your information is accurate.

Context: I said that Cryptic keeps moving personel from older to newer games. It's a known part of their "flexible" business model. But I was actually talking about the GMs rather than the Devs on that topic.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's the fact that they are hiring MORE devs for those two games but none for Champions.

So our chances of getting any back that we lost are.. not good
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited May 2013
    It's a definite - in my 'game tally,' and I have a very faint hope that they are planning on expanding options at some point soon. Possibly the options are limited for open beta while they hammer out higher priority concerns.

I wouldn't hope for that. In F2P Games normally Open Beta = Release. And technically thats also not really wrong since MMOs with their constant changes never really leave the Beta state :wink:

Also Perfect World is an excellent example how you can have a game with a really great Character-Editor (the facial Editor from PWI is really great) and after that release Game after Game with nearly no options at all.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    it's the fact that they are hiring MORE devs for those two games but none for Champions.

So our chances of getting any back that we lost are.. not good

I wouldn't say it's because Cryptic/PWE don't care about Champions. I'd say it's likely the owners of the IP for those games (WotC for D&D, CBS for ST) are investing money into their games. Champions has no such source of corporate funding outside of Cryptic/PWE.

On the flip side, Champions doesn't have to worry about pleasing said owner of the IP or lose the liscensing agreement to operate MMO's for the IP. NW and STO could essentially be shut down on a whim by the IP owners even if Cryptic/PWE really want to keep going with them. If you want more insight into what I mean, check out this article from Massively.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, they are hiring more devs, but last I checked, two of the hires are specifically Mandarin-speaking bilinguals.

This can mean at least two things.

A) The upcoming Cryptic project is a reboot of the flagship PWE game Perfect World.

B) Development responsibilities are being transferred all or in part to offices in China.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited May 2013
    Well, they are hiring more devs, but last I checked, two of the hires are specifically Mandarin-speaking bilinguals.

A) The upcoming Cryptic project is a reboot of the flagship PWE game Perfect World.

B) Development responsibilities are being transferred all or in part to offices in China.
    C) They want devs who can communicate directly with their corporate overlords, without having to rely on third-party translation. IIRC, that's seen as the polite thing to do in Chinese society, as well as providing corporate direction with fewer misunderstandings. (Who knows, they might even be able to explain our mindset to them!)

• wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    C) They want devs who can communicate directly with their corporate overlords, without having to rely on third-party translation. IIRC, that's seen as the polite thing to do in Chinese society, as well as providing corporate direction with fewer misunderstandings. (Who knows, they might even be able to explain our mindset to them!)

D) They want to translate CO into Chinese for the China market ROFL.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    BLAH BLAH BLAH

#TelepathyNOW
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every time you post, you make me hope that the eventual Telepathy update is a major nerf, just to spite you. How about you give it a break; you aren't furthering your cause any by acting like a jackass.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I can actually see option A being a thing. The Perfect World game is so dated it could use any method of modernizing it can get. Even one that uses the Cryptic engine.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Every time you post, you make me hope that the eventual Telepathy update is a major nerf, just to spite you. How about you give it a break; you aren't furthering your cause any by acting like a jackass.

I half wanna agree with you, but squeaky wheel. Grease.

You know how earth came about? Roxstar pretty much doing exactly what jay's doing now. Honestly, for as much as I might poke at him for haunting the place when he doesn't play? This is one thing I don't think anyone can fault him on. He's asking for what'd bring him back.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You know how earth came about? Roxstar pretty much doing exactly what jay's doing now. Honestly, for as much as I might poke at him for haunting the place when he doesn't play? This is one thing I don't think anyone can fault him on. He's asking for what'd bring him back.

Not even remotely true. Roxstar didn't spam every thread with some lame push for something he wanted. He did jokingly bring it up from time to time, he suggested it whenever suggestion threads popped up and he had something about it in his sig but that's not at all similar to this #SpamEveryThreadWithIrrelevant****posting approach.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited May 2013
    I used to give gamehobo a little credit until he was part of the jaw-droppingly insensitive a-hole brigade with recent AngelofCaine stuff.

Now, I hope Cryptic revitalizes, implements sweeping changes including a huge improvement to Telepathy, but gamehobo for some reason can't ever get a valid account. Just has to stare in the window at all the people having a blast playing Telepaths.

• pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    Good rep?

Last I checked, other than the people who dont care about such things, the majority of what NWO is getting so far is being criticized for how blatant and greedy the game is about forcing you to use the cash shop.

NW seems to be composed of 3 camps - those that will play it despite Cryptic because they want Neverwinter (not D&D), but still think Cryptic is almost completely worthless.

Those that will play because Cryptic can do some stuff good, despite Cryptic being **** in everything else.

Those that will play it completely oblivious of Cryptic or Neverwinter for whatever reason.

Most people fall into the the first group. Some of us fall into the second group, but we're the chicken littles who are pretty much ignored. Category 3 doesn't seem to be very large.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not even remotely true. Roxstar didn't spam every thread with some lame push for something he wanted. He did jokingly bring it up from time to time, he suggested it whenever suggestion threads popped up and he had something about it in his sig but that's not at all similar to this #SpamEveryThreadWithIrrelevant****posting approach.

At the very heart of the thing? Yeah, he kept bringing back the idea he really wanted to see take shape. He'd post it in suggestions. had a thing in his sig. discuss it randomly.

I'm not arguing the approach. Merely the idea.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there is no future for this game.. plain and simple. if you think that they are going to put resources into this game after being thrown to the curb for 3 years i i really don't know what you are smoking.

it would take a miracle at this point, and since nwo is running i honestly doubt it.

long story short stop buying Zen, and stop supporting cryptic in general they don't deserve to be rewarded for laziness, and poor management

/endrant
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there is no future for this game.. plain and simple. if you think that they are going to put resources into this game after being thrown to the curb for 3 years i i really don't know what you are smoking.

it would take a miracle at this point, and since nwo is running i honestly doubt it.

long story short stop buying Zen, and stop supporting cryptic in general they don't deserve to be rewarded for laziness, and poor management

/endrant

And this game will fold. How will that do any good?
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Difference being Roxstar was nice about it. He would ask nicely.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I used to give gamehobo a little credit until he was part of the jaw-droppingly insensitive a-hole brigade with recent AngelofCaine stuff.

Now, I hope Cryptic revitalizes, implements sweeping changes including a huge improvement to Telepathy, but gamehobo for some reason can't ever get a valid account. Just has to stare in the window at all the people having a blast playing Telepaths.

Chu don't know me so sit it on down.

And I'm not an ******* for wanting developers not to monetize or memorialize a player's death. Sit. It. Down.
    Difference being Roxstar was nice about it. He would ask nicely.

I'm sugar, spice and EVERYTHING nice. Just cause you dont like what I have to say don't mean I'mma stop talking. This is AMERRRCA
    #TelepathyNOW
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty much this. Telepathy should be completed as should multiple other things in this game and basic bug repairs but, nothing personal, the hashtag garbage is not the path to this nor was it well thought out in the least. While the squeeky wheel does get oil in some cases...the annoyingly squeeky wheel gets replaced because it's defective. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg