test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter And You

fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
So. Neverwinter is coming out tomorrow-ish. Peoples are getting ready for it, and the hub-bub is growing and preparing.

The weeks following it will probably be the time in which we see the eventual outcome of CO. As NWO goes out, will they filter devs elsewhere? Or will we simply stay here, holding our lockboxes of bitterness and lost hopes.

Well, what do you think NWO's release will have in store for us, hmm? Pessimistic and saying we're gonna die? Optimistic and saying we're gonna die- wait that's not right...

But yeah. Thoughts?
@HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
Post edited by fudgemonsta on

Comments

• rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    well, there is hope, you can always hold onto hope. While their track record is not exactly stellar, im reserve judgement till we see, or dont see, something concrete.

oh yeah, and adding, im likely not going to actually play nw unless dragonborn and monks become available. elf/dwarf nonsense bores me to death, teiflings seem forced and the classes lack a certain "kick people in the head" that i prefer.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here's my honest view.

NW will take off pretty well. I enjoyed the beta weekends I played. It's a fun game. No, I'm not claiming it's perfect, but that I found it to be my kind of fun.

But just because NW is released, does not mean that it's time to stop dev work on it. There'll be tons of patches for bugs and issues that Open Beta will bring to surface. There'll be tweaks to the existing classes. There will be more classes brought out post-launch. There'll be regular events to draw more players to the brand new game.

CO will remain as it has been. They've already told us pretty much what they have planned for this year. A handful of events spread throughout the year, Aura slots hopefully coming to light, and probably not much else that's earth-shattering. I don't believe we'll see CO shut down for at least this year, if things go at the pace they have been.

Reality is that CO doesn't have the big budget that NW and STO have, as the IP doesn't have as much of a demand as those two have (I mean demand from the owners of the IP, not necessarily the players). Unfortunately, that means CO will be moving slowly. On the other hand, it also means that CO doesn't need to hit a high bar to make a decent profit.

Myself? I'll play NW and I'll still play CO. STO... eh, I've tried it, and haven't gotten hooked on it. Maybe I'm not a big enough Star Trek fan...
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    well, there is hope, you can always hold onto hope. While their track record is not exactly stellar, im reserve judgement till we see, or dont see, something concrete.

Hope and Change is so 2008
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As promising as NWO looks, I'm going to pass on it. I already play Skyrim and Guildwars 2 in order to fulfill my fantasy mmo fix. With that, CO is basically my main game to play.

....and Minecraft. :biggrin:
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    Here's my honest view.

NW will take off pretty well. I enjoyed the beta weekends I played. It's a fun game. No, I'm not claiming it's perfect, but that I found it to be my kind of fun.

But just because NW is released, does not mean that it's time to stop dev work on it. There'll be tons of patches for bugs and issues that Open Beta will bring to surface. There'll be tweaks to the existing classes. There will be more classes brought out post-launch. There'll be regular events to draw more players to the brand new game.

CO will remain as it has been. They've already told us pretty much what they have planned for this year. A handful of events spread throughout the year, Aura slots hopefully coming to light, and probably not much else that's earth-shattering. I don't believe we'll see CO shut down for at least this year, if things go at the pace they have been.

Reality is that CO doesn't have the big budget that NW and STO have, as the IP doesn't have as much of a demand as those two have (I mean demand from the owners of the IP, not necessarily the players). Unfortunately, that means CO will be moving slowly. On the other hand, it also means that CO doesn't need to hit a high bar to make a decent profit.

Myself? I'll play NW and I'll still play CO. STO... eh, I've tried it, and haven't gotten hooked on it. Maybe I'm not a big enough Star Trek fan...

Well said. Personally, I'll see how NW goes. It looks interesting at least. I might as well get it now and see how it is while the download is not as bloated from patches. :eek:
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Another generic fantasy MMO? come on cryptic, why waste your money on a fantasy MMO when there is heaps of fantasy type MMO out there

Wow is crap but it will never be beaten

A lot of the fantasy MMO's are pay to win and i cant believe you are using that too even with CO which wasn't in the first place. The sad thing is you are testing your store stuff on here so you can use it in their store (That is what i think of it anyway)

I dont know about NWO but all these p2w fantasy MMO's shows us sexy night elf in little armor and boobs showing on a ad banner on the internet which thinks will get us to play it

Ive played wow, DCUO, SWTOR, Terra and the secret world, Terra and secret world came close because it was a bit different from the rest of the MMO's you could take example of that, but if NWO is just a wow clone....pass
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The survival of Cryptic probably depends on a good NeverWinter release and all the signs that the game will reach the audience it is intended to: the rump of the D&D market that plays D&D4.

With that smallish segment, act as a the tip of an iceberg, should come a wider, younger audience thirsting for the thrills of flashier graphics, teenage kicks and PvP.

CO will probably seem quieter. There will less dodgy deals offered in the RenCen, less random duel requests from bored teens and (on average) better typed requests for help in-game. Arguments about PvP might even shift from the co- to nw- forums.

As for development resources? We will find out as the week passes.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
    edited April 2013
    Ok i had a look at the game play on youtube...it does look a tad different, the combat looks like its from Terra

but when watching the video, i got bored with it...sorry but this game looks boring to me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let us not forget the NWO is only moving into the open beta stage. Which likely means very little which change for CO, and even when NWO is released. I suspect that history will repeat itself, much like it did with STO.

Much like STO there is a rather large company for Cryptic/PWE to appease, so NWO will continue to get supported, while the CO devs will be moved to whatever the next project is.
  • x0y1x0y1 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    draogn wrote: »
    Let us not forget the NWO is only moving into the open beta stage. Which likely means very little which change for CO, and even when NWO is released. I suspect that history will repeat itself, much like it did with STO.

Much like STO there is a rather large company for Cryptic/PWE to appease, so NWO will continue to get supported, while the CO devs will be moved to whatever the next project is.

Yuck, not again. The open beta is the RELEASE. No retail sales, and many F2P game usually go only into a open beta mode and stay there. You pay real $ for the shop and you don't get it back nor will there be a char wipe ever.

Honestly the only reason I see why a company would even chose the word open beta is a weak excuse if the run into bugs. Heck games got even shut down in open beta status while "making money", points to Warhammer Wrath of Heroes.

There was a time where a game would follow a simple way like alpha, f&f beta, beta, open beta & release but now marketing has the last word and it means everything to nothing. :tongue:
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll give it three months.

Three months to see if the positive hopefuls were right about Cryptic deciding to resume focusing on better development from CO if NWO turns out to be a success...

...or things continue the way they are. More lockboxes, more temporary events that I'd expect to see on repeated rotation to substitute for actual permanent content, and more lack of SotGs.

Until then I'll avoid jumping the gun.
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jedite2012 wrote: »
    Another generic fantasy MMO? come on cryptic, why waste your money on a fantasy MMO when there is heaps of fantasy type MMO out there

Wow is crap but it will never be beaten

A lot of the fantasy MMO's are pay to win and i cant believe you are using that too even with CO which wasn't in the first place. The sad thing is you are testing your store stuff on here so you can use it in their store (That is what i think of it anyway)

I dont know about NWO but all these p2w fantasy MMO's shows us sexy night elf in little armor and boobs showing on a ad banner on the internet which thinks will get us to play it

Ive played wow, DCUO, SWTOR, Terra and the secret world, Terra and secret world came close because it was a bit different from the rest of the MMO's you could take example of that, but if NWO is just a wow clone....pass

Not another generic fantasy MMO but the online version of the RPG that started it all (even mighty WoW has a lot of debts towards D&D) and truth to tell like game mechanics go NWO is more of a clone of DCUO than WOW so whatever you can think about it you have to admit that NWO is different from the fantasy MMOs that did come before
    edited April 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »

Three months to see if the positive hopefuls were right about Cryptic deciding to resume focusing on better development from CO if NWO turns out to be a success...

...or things continue the way they are. More lockboxes, more temporary events that I'd expect to see on repeated rotation to substitute for actual permanent content, and more lack of SotGs.

Until then I'll avoid jumping the gun.

I would not worry about lockboxes they are here to stay: In two days of NWO play I got at least 30 of them (possibly more but i did not keep the count) all of them needing a key that you get at the zen market. :biggrin:
    edited April 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »

If you find your self being abused by neglect how long until you accept that it is indeed happening and how much longer will you tolerate it.

It sets such a bad precedent to reward companies for failure. More so to reward them for doing capital harm to their own product.

Champions Online is living on the goodwill of its player-base.. as asset that is depreciating rapidly in value
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @Jaybezz

You know, when normal people quit a game they typically don't stick around for months afterwards to tell the remaining players they're basically battered wives that haven't realized yet they're in an abusive relationship. Can you give the agenda a rest once in a while?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @Jaybezz

You know, when normal people quit a game they typically don't stick around for months afterwards to tell the remaining players they're basically battered wives that haven't realized yet they're in an abusive relationship. Can you give the agenda a rest once in a while?

But if we can't scare the new players off, how will the game continue to flounder? If the shaky support doesn't do it, we need someone who will.

I swear, if I didn't know him when he was active, I'd swear he's a DCUO rep trying to help the game reach its demise.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would not worry about lockboxes they are here to stay: In two days of NWO play I got at least 30 of them (possibly more but i did not keep the count) all of them needing a key that you get at the zen market. :biggrin:

True, but they have found a way to make them even more annoying. You cant avoid picking them up. They pop into your inventory simply by walking near them. And you cant drop or destroy them.

So currently, the only way to rid yourself of them is to list them on the AH and pay the listing fee. Or to eventually open them.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's like the most 'We Want Your Money Now!!' i've ever heard of.
    We gots like way better in CO.
    I think Ballsack The Brawny Barbarian may think twice before enterin into the realm of WhatEver.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Yeah, congratulations.
    gamehobo wrote: »
    If you find your self being abused by neglect how long until you accept that it is indeed happening and how much longer will you tolerate it.

It sets such a bad precedent to reward companies for failure. More so to reward them for doing capital harm to their own product.

Champions Online is living on the goodwill of its player-base.. as asset that is depreciating rapidly in value

You're under the assumption that I would be rewarding them monetarily during those three months.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    True, but they have found a way to make them even more annoying. You cant avoid picking them up. They pop into your inventory simply by walking near them. And you cant drop or destroy them.

So currently, the only way to rid yourself of them is to list them on the AH and pay the listing fee. Or to eventually open them.

Do they stack like CO or STO?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited April 2013
    Do they stack like CO or STO?

yes they do, however you can deposit them in bank
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yes they do, however you can deposit them in bank

Rephrased, do they stack to 20 like STO or 999 like CO?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    As promising as NWO looks, I'm going to pass on it. I already play Skyrim and Guildwars 2 in order to fulfill my fantasy mmo fix. With that, CO is basically my main game to play.

And theres me putting a bounty on your head for the first person to poke you in NW. Why you foil my evil plans?

No worries I have back up plan!

h45B6F48B
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    NW Looks like most fantasy games that I already play so I won't be missing out on much. I got enough games to play right now to keep my interest levels high and going.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The one difference between NW and every other fantasy MMO is Foundry. That's the main reason I'm even giving it a glance. (That and I typically try almost any free MMO, if only for 10 minutes.)

As for 'open beta,' keep in mind that STO's Foundry has been in 'beta' for... two years? Something like that.

It's an excuse.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jedite2012 wrote: »
    come on cryptic, why waste your money on a fantasy MMO when there is heaps of fantasy type MMO out there

Because Foundry with Champions Combat.
  • khadharkhadhar Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's almost like they could have just put Foundry in CO but wanted to hurt us some more. :p
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
  • manwholaughsmanwholaughs Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not another generic fantasy MMO but the online version of the RPG that started it all (even mighty WoW has a lot of debts towards D&D) and truth to tell like game mechanics go NWO is more of a clone of DCUO than WOW so whatever you can think about it you have to admit that NWO is different from the fantasy MMOs that did come before

Just because the game has "Neverwinter" in the title does not mean it will automatically be "good".

Truth is, the market is flooded with dungeons and dragons type games, to the point where the formula for such concepts has long since become stagnant. Then we have the few and far between concepts like Champions Online, being all but abandoned so that the parent company can cough out another stagnant, generic, run of the mill dungeons and dragons game... Mhm, the punchline to this bad joke will be the closure of Champions Online within the next few months!

Yup!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Actually, this statement means nothing. Here are the reasons why:

1- We have already seen an MMO based on the 'game that started it all'. It's a turd floating in a sea of failure as we speak.

2- If you want to be specific, Lord of the Rings online is more 'the one that started it', as D&D was pretty much 'based on Tolkien without paying royalties'.

3- It's STILL another fantasy MMORPG with elves and dragons and orcs and all the other tiresome tropes. I don't care if it is played a little different, or whatever. The setting is getting comically over-done. I find it altogether stupid that when Cryptic gets a shot at a fantasy setting, they fall short on the character customization and confine themselves in the most bland of options.

4- D&D sold out long ago with this 4e crap. Hell, when they went 3e they were doing fine, until you HAD to have 3.5e to play new material. Sadly, this 'legendary game' is a joke compared to what it used to be and I'm glad I no longer play it. The D20 system is fine, but the way D&D 4e plays is a joke.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    Yuck, not again. The open beta is the RELEASE. No retail sales, and many F2P game usually go only into a open beta mode and stay there. You pay real $ for the shop and you don't get it back nor will there be a char wipe ever.

Honestly the only reason I see why a company would even chose the word open beta is a weak excuse if the run into bugs. Heck games got even shut down in open beta status while "making money", points to Warhammer Wrath of Heroes.

There was a time where a game would follow a simple way like alpha, f&f beta, beta, open beta & release but now marketing has the last word and it means everything to nothing. :tongue:

Normally you would be right, but not in this case. This is truly a beta for Neverwinter, the game is still very much in development. There are a number of features and classes that will be added to the game before it reaches the release build.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am happy NW is here. This means that we will learn the fate of CO very soon.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »

I am in the same situation, tomorrow RO2 is being released so I am planning to get my fantasy mmo fix from it. I participated in some of the NWO beta weekends and I was not too impressed, it is not bad but I don't find it appealing
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Reading through old posts on their boards and apparently the players in STO and CO have it good. If you so desire, you can silence the spammable messages from "@so and so just got the golden goose goody" but not in Neverwinter.

Also on the plus side, in STO and CO one can, if they so wish, drag and drop lockboxes from their inventory. Not true in Neverwinter. You're stuck with them taking up inventory space in either your live inventory or bank.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well I have been playing Guild Wars for the last 2 years and as soon as Guild Wars 2 came out all the devs and the players vanished. September and October of 2012 Guild Wars was a ghost town people like myself were wondering if we would get to finish playing the game. However by Christmas, people flocked back in and out. Now that so many have beat Guild Wars 2 the population has returned and from what I am hearing Guild Wars 2 is now the ghost town and the new shine has worn off.

People who play CO honestly won't be impressed by NWO, it is not comic book, it is another WoW. I wasn't impressed by it (alpha tests) and won't download the client again for another go around at it. I thought the detail of the character biography was good but I didn't care much for the game play in general.

I think it is safe to say they (Cryptic) will pull employees off both CO and STO to work on NWO. Meanwhile over at STO this month they are getting ready to attempt luring players back by adding Romulans. Too little, too late, in my opinion. They are purposely syncing it up with the new movie release. They might get a few new players off the movie release.

I wish Cryptic the best with NWO, I really do, but I am not planning on playing it. I will stick with what I have.
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle
    edited May 2013
    They need to start hiring for CO heck ill even do it for minimum wage, if i was any good at tech stuff
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Well I have been playing Guild Wars for the last 2 years and as soon as Guild Wars 2 came out all the devs and the players vanished. September and October of 2012 Guild Wars was a ghost town people like myself were wondering if we would get to finish playing the game. However by Christmas, people flocked back in and out. Now that so many have beat Guild Wars 2 the population has returned and from what I am hearing Guild Wars 2 is now the ghost town and the new shine has worn off.

This is the way of MMOs, they are unpredictable like this.

CO has survived in it's current state and it will probably continue to survive. In MMO terms it is a sleeper hit, with a strong following that constantly brings in new people that find a competent enough MMO well-stocked with content.

The new variant of CO isn't something that I want to discuss too much here but it is a re-skinned version of CO designed to excite and exploit teenagers and their kin.

They've got the demand completely wrong at "release" too.

As I said before, I just hope this variant survives (because this game depends on this) and that people who have decided to play it manage how to use the forums for the correct game, if they can manage such a complex task ...

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is very cool.
    I'm not even into the whole "D&D' thing since I was ...maybe I still am a little bit, but not enough to drive me to play games in that vein for long.

I put a few hours into Neverwinter, against my computer controlled 'get up and do something else' timer.

This is a good fantasy realm, from what I see.
    Zombies. Check
    "start on the beach" - Check
    Cryptic remain true to tropes.

The mission sequence at the start keeps you busy and its a nice hometown place.

demo_record works there.
    -demoplay works there
    my little demo reading software works there.
    Future's bright.

I can't post there yet because apparently I'm a noob.
    So I'll just say this here: Too many orbs

They flicker in the rendering que even with all the HUD Fudge turned off.
    They aren't really adding that much to the game especially in noobtown and they look a bit ridiculous being ever present.

Save/Selll/Reward floating bits later in the game for anyone.
    gZOjMnB.png

I love the idea of a 'bit' though, its way past time for a TRON MMO.
    edited May 2013
    You are allowed to start your own threads in Neverwinter by posting there, for when mods realise you are not a troll they enable your accoun, allowing you to be able to start a thread.

So don't complain about not being able to start threads in this forum, instead simply go and talk about NeverWinter inthat forum.

• zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yesterday, I first login at Neverwinter Online, it was lagging so much, to the tutorial took long. Today are the waiting times. :frown:

"Neverwinter Online : On Queue" :rolleyes:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are allowed to start your own threads in Neverwinter by posting there, for when mods realise you are not a troll they enable your accoun, allowing you to be able to start a thread.

So don't complain about not being able to start threads in this forum, instead simply go and talk about NeverWinter inthat forum.

Can't even post replies to threads there for mods to know you exist until after a set timer or level when your account is deemed 'new', the same deal as in this forum.
    edited May 2013
    I can't post there yet because apparently I'm a noob.
    So I'll just say this here: Too many orbs

gZOjMnB.png

You mean people WANT to play telep.. i mean control wizards? Playing a controller is a preferred play-style?

Nah.. must be a bug
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I doubt NWO will be CO's salvation. It's like CO with a Teflon coating. It's shiny, but it's not going to stick :x

It's not a bad game, the combat system is a welcome departure from the usual tab target systems of Western MMOs. However, the system lacks the polish of GW2's. Hit detection seems to be done on cast completion rather than on attack completion, so it's possible to get hit even though you dodge.

Second, it lacks the depth or content to justify the hundreds to thousands of hours gameplay MMOs should be aiming for.

There is an illusion of customization, but it seems to be similar to other PWE games like War of Immortals, where the bulk of your character's abilities are pre-decided and impact of your choices are so small that it doesn't matter in the long run. It's pretty much CO with ATs only, so the fun of experimenting with builds is completely taken out of the picture. And it's not like League of Legends where you can switch between over 100 other characters to try out team-level synergies.

The skill cap also seems low. Compared to other games, there's not much timing or aiming required to hit things, even in PvP. Not to say it's nonexistent, but watch a PvP video of C9 compared to a video of Neverwinter PvP. They're both third person action combat RPGs, but there's a very stark contrast in how the two games play out when one game has high jumps, invincibility frames, armor moves, launchers, combos and striking vs. blocking vs. grabs added into the mix. Add low depth and low skill cap together and I just don't see NWO staying mainstream very long by virtue of its gameplay systems.

The next fallback is content, but this is Cryptic we're talking about - a studio headed by a CEO who calls himself "naive" for thinking MMOs need hundreds of hours of gameplay. So that content is going to have to come from enthusiasts using the Foundry, but the Foundry is quite limited in its possibilities, especially compared to its precedents NWN1 and 2. I consider it too much of a wildcard to bet on at this point.

tl;dr NWO won't bomb, but it won't be the runaway success that will spell the salvation of CO.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What is appearance customization like in NWO?

One of the things I dislike about DCUO is the lack of appearance editor choices/sliders/parts.

Is there a wide variety of apperances per race? Sliders?

What about clothing/armor? Do you always look like whatever item is equipped? I hate when MMOs do that.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited May 2013

One of the things I dislike about DCUO is the lack of appearance editor choices/sliders/parts.

What about clothing/armor? Do you always look like whatever item is equipped? I hate when MMOs do that.

Some things are preset, like eyes and complexion (you can change skin color though). Then there's sliders for other stuff, including the *ahem* chest slider.

As for clothing/armor, you have an armor slot and a clothing slot, so your appearance can look like your armor, or you can override it with a custom costume. But I think most of the good costumes are in the cash shop
    edited May 2013
    You mean people WANT to play telep.. i mean control wizards? Playing a controller is a preferred play-style?

Nah.. must be a bug

Guilty, rolled a Control Wizard myself and love it. In City of Heroes Controller and Dominator were my favorite AT. About Telepathy, my Mind AT is on indefinite hold. :p

It has far less options then Champions Online. Better watch this from a old beta weekend
    Neverwinter Human char creation

The added a bit stuff since then but basically it's the same.

Clothing, you have 2 clothing tabs. So you can look in the way of your armor (you can dye/clone items) or chose a alternate style aka wear your heavy plate armor for stats but visible is only your wedding dress. :eek:
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Customization is really poor. You have choice of looking like the armor that dropped or you can look like the clothes that dropped. You can change some minor stuff on your face that isn't really visible though.

I would love a fantasy game that let's you make a character like champions. For some reason they all think that canned looks are great.

I think fantasy MMO studies have determined people don't really want choices, maybe?

That being said, I can almost play a halfling thief (except no stealing, lockpicking or pickpocketing, climbing walls etc). So I am playing for now.
    edited May 2013
    Customization is really poor. You have choice of looking like the armor that dropped or you can look like the clothes that dropped. You can change some minor stuff on your face that isn't really visible though.

I would love a fantasy game that let's you make a character like champions. For some reason they all think that canned looks are great.

I think fantasy MMO studies have determined people don't really want choices, maybe?

That being said, I can almost play a halfling thief (except no stealing, lockpicking or pickpocketing, climbing walls etc). So I am playing for now.

Well yes more options would be nice but I guess the got a bit burned by Star Trek Online.
    You can't sell races if everyone can create them for free. :wink:

Statement from a dev
    Massively: One concern we've seen is that compared to Cryptic's other titles, Neverwinter's character creation options -- especially the visuals -- seem limited. That was surprising to us, since it's one of the strengths that we associate with Cryptic. Will there be more visual options added?

Andy Velasquez: That's certainly one of the things we're hearing a lot. It's a weird transition for us because Cryptic's other titles weren't nearly as item-driven as Neverwinter is. That's something we had to be super-conscious of when we went into it. One of our legacies as a studio is that we have really robust character creation, so we wanted to go in and add a lot of options, but we didn't want to devalue that feeling when you get that next sword or armor piece. We couldn't find a way to make Champions Online's endless character creation options work well with the thousands and thousands of items in Neverwinter.

That being said, I do concede that we could do better in terms of offering more hair and color and eyebrows and all of that other stuff. That's probably something we'll get to as we continually do more updates -- more hairstyles for this race or more horn variations for the Tieflings, etc.
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/20/massively-exclusive-neverwinter-pre-launch-interview-part-two/

Can't say the have that many variations from drops. Some skins are locked behind rare/very items.......
  • zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I think can say it is similar, there are a few preset with already skin type and height, you have sliders to customize the size just a little (not so absurd like CO. :tongue:). Pretty much you can only customize the face, hair, skin part and height.
    Also if you want to change your "face" you have to use an Appearance change token. :mad:

The outer customization is from the equipment you find, can differ "a little" also depends the class type and vary depending on the equipment level set , i remember seeing 2 or 3 different type set when i played Trickster Rogue, but i think can customize further using the dyes (need to pay) to change the color of the equipment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can change complexion and eyes, actually. Customization seems on par with Star Trek Online within given races.

You can adjust all sorts of little values for head and body.

In Champions I can make a demonic vulture-headed robot with gossamer dragonfly wings and flippers. Of course NW won't compare. Although I wish the chargen was as open as STO Aliens, at least for Foundry, so you could make really odd new critters.

Speaking of Foundry, I've only spent a few minutes in it, but WHOA. It's ... amazing. Plop down a hallway... plop down another hallway at right angles, and it automatically opens up shared walls, taking about 5 minutes to make a complex grid dungeon. In STO Foundry that'd take hours.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    Well yes more options would be nice but I guess the got a bit burned by Star Trek Online.
    You can't sell races if everyone can create them for free. :wink:

I have no problem with them selling races. I just want more character options. I want characters to have the possibility of looking unique and cool.

DnD has always been extremely customizable. Look at the novelized characters such as Raistlin Majere, Tanis Half-Elven, Jarlaxle...all had unique looks, but were still of the DnD races.

There is room for canned looks too, with say knightly organizations, such as those Sturm Brightblade belonged too.

But whatever, it is what it is:tongue: