test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(?) Smoke Grenade

tosmekoptosmekop Posts: 35 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Power Discussion
When you hit someone with a Smoke Grenade, I know the cloud of smoke appears on screen for them for a few seconds, but does using that skill on someone actually lower their accuracy at all?
Post edited by tosmekop on

Comments

• Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It lowers perception, as in, view radius.

Have someone use it on you to see how it works. It quite literally makes them invisible. Fun, but annoying sometimes.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I understand it lowers perception. My question is, when you use it on someone, does it lower their accuracy? Meaning, if they have some auto attacks that don't require you needing to be seen to use them, can they still hit you with perfect accuracy, even with the cloud of smoke impairing their vision? I'm also not speaking in reference to any adv points being placed either, that makes you disappear. I'm just talking about the skill, itself.
  • Options
    pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tosmekop wrote: »
    I understand it lowers perception. My question is, when you use it on someone, does it lower their accuracy? Meaning, if they have some auto attacks that don't require you needing to be seen to use them, can they still hit you with perfect accuracy, even with the cloud of smoke impairing their vision? I'm also not speaking in reference to any adv points being placed either, that makes you disappear. I'm just talking about the skill, itself.

No, it doesn't lower their accuracy, they still can hit you fine with any AoE maintain or whatever with powers you don't need to target anybody.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OP, there is no "accuracy" in this game - every attack always hits. If you force your opponent to lose target lock on you, however, they can't use any direct attacks against you. They can still use things like PBAoE attacks that don't require a target, though.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You know how there's a Dodge modifier? I know every attack "hits", but what I'm asking specifically is, does the Dodge proc more frequently as the attacker is affected by the smoke from the Smoke Grenade?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    pallihwtf wrote: »
    No, it doesn't lower their accuracy, they still can hit you fine with any AoE maintain or whatever with powers you don't need to target anybody.

Okay thank you. It looks like you're the only person that understood what I was asking. Not the answer I was hoping for, but this helps resolve my question. Thank you.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know how there's a Dodge modifier? I know every attack "hits", but what I'm asking specifically is, does the Dodge proc more frequently as the attacker is affected by the smoke from the Smoke Grenade?

There is no direct interaction between dodge and perception.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    There is no direct interaction between dodge and perception.

Right, but there should be a direct interaction between a large cloud of smoke in someone's face and being able to dodge more attacks coming from someone with a large cloud of smoke in their face.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Right, but there should be a direct interaction between a large cloud of smoke in someone's face and being able to dodge more attacks coming from someone with a large cloud of smoke in their face.

I see the problem. The first reply was the exact correct answer to what you were asking but you were assuming it worked some way that it didn't.

That is an interesting idea, having Smoke Bomb increase the dodge chance of anyone the 'smoked' person targets.

However since dodge only reduces damage [via your Avoidance] the way it actually works is more true to the idea. It reduces how much [=how far] you can see.

Waaaaay back in the beginning of the game there were a lot of people that expected Dodge to work like a hit-or-miss all or nothing system. And without accuracy [as a hit-or-miss] mechanic dodge of course has to work as a damage reducer, not a damage cancel.

Anyway, thanks fudgemonsta for providing the correct answer even if it took a couple of tries to get it understood.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I see the problem. The first reply was the exact correct answer to what you were asking but you were assuming it worked some way that it didn't.

That is an interesting idea, having Smoke Bomb increase the dodge chance of anyone the 'smoked' person targets.

However since dodge only reduces damage [via your Avoidance] the way it actually works is more true to the idea. It reduces how much [=how far] you can see.

Waaaaay back in the beginning of the game there were a lot of people that expected Dodge to work like a hit-or-miss all or nothing system. And without accuracy [as a hit-or-miss] mechanic dodge of course has to work as a damage reducer, not a damage cancel.

Anyway, thanks fudgemonsta for providing the correct answer even if it took a couple of tries to get it understood.

Yes, he had the correct answer, but to the wrong question. You're just reiterating what I had already mentioned when phrasing and rephrasing my question. I've not mentioned anything about a hit-or-miss system. Nor have I once disagreed with the concept of it affecting your perception (from your computer monitor). That's not what I've been asking. These are all very correct answers, however, they have absolutely nothing to do with my question.

Please don't respond to this thread unless your comprehension skills are greater than that of many of the previous people that have replied.

This is the only thing in your entire post that was relevant to the question I asked.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Respectfully, how would having smoke in my face stop me from hitting you with, for example, my giant poison cloud that radiates like 40 feet away from me in a 360 degree dome?

Lead tempest? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGhF-j1lbzo

See where I'm going with this?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not to mention the fact that, AFAIK, no power imposes a debuff which increases your target's chance to dodge your attacks. All dodge buffs that I am aware of are self-applied, (like from evasive maneuvers or MD).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, he had the correct answer, but to the wrong question. You're just reiterating what I had already mentioned when phrasing and rephrasing my question. I've not mentioned anything about a hit-or-miss system. Nor have I once disagreed with the concept of it affecting your perception (from your computer monitor). That's not what I've been asking. These are all very correct answers, however, they have absolutely nothing to do with my question.

Please don't respond to this thread unless your comprehension skills are greater than that of many of the previous people that have replied.

This is the only thing in your entire post that was relevant to the question I asked.

Wow, you're kind of acting like a turd. I hope you don't regularly ask for help. The whole "not communicating your problem clearly, then snarking at those who try to answer" thing is really obnoxious.
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    Wow, you're kind of acting like a turd. I hope you don't regularly ask for help. The whole "not communicating your problem clearly, then snarking at those who try to answer" thing is really obnoxious.

Signed. Gerberatetra has made a very, very clear response.

The OP asked if it affected accuracy. Since there is not such thing as an accuracy system in this game, if we wish to do this as obnoxiously as the OP then we can even say that the OP does not have any idea what he/she is talking about.

If his intention is to ask if it increases the dodge chance of the user (which his exact words are not), then what Gerberatetra has responded makes a lot of sense. Firstly, if the smoke was to increase dodge chance, then since the smoke clouds the vision of the target, it should give increased dodge chance to everyone else (which is not how smoke works irl). Smoke does not make another person able to move faster or with more agility. It prevents the subject of the smoke from targeting (cannot see) or lowering his/her accuracy by reducing visibility. Since as pointed out there is NO accuracy system in game, that will not apply.

The issue was the OP kept using the word accuracy. It was only later that he changed to mention about dodge. While the two are linked, they are not directly related and when discussing game mechanics, if the proper terms of reference are used, we cannot blame other respondent from misinterpreting the question.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I apologize for offending you guys. I didn't intend to come off as obnoxious, but after re-reading my posts, I can see how you people may feel that way. Please forgive me.

Best regards.
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I apologize for offending you guys. I didn't intend to come off as obnoxious, but after re-reading my posts, I can see how you people may feel that way. Please forgive me.

Best regards.

I guess things typed on screen can be interpreted differently without the inflection of the spoken words. No harm done and all is good :) cheers.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Your original question...
    When you hit someone with a Smoke Grenade, I know the cloud of smoke appears on screen for them for a few seconds, but does using that skill on someone actually lower their accuracy at all?

...had absolutely nothing to do with dodge.

But that might have been a kind of cool mechanic.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.