test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Powerset idea: Death Scythe

mushermusher Posts: 166 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Suggestions Box
I was just thinking the other day, swords, claws and heavy weapons are nice, but I think some good variety can be added to the mix. Here is what I thought so far.

New weapon category: Scythe
New status effects: Deathmark stacks up to 5 times and reduces your target's Avoidance or Damage Resistance (whichever is higher) by 10 points per stack. Also if a Deathmarked enemy is defeated you are healed by 1% of his total health per stack every second for 20 seconds.
Wound stacks up to 5 times and reduces the healing your target receives by 10% per stack.

Energy Builder: (single target Slashing damage)
Scythe Cut
Initial attack has a chance to apply Deathmark, consecutive attacks have a chance to Wound.
Advantages:
Increased chance to Deathmark;
Increased chance to Wound;

Combo: (single target Slashing damage)
Scythe Slash
Every third attack has a base 50% chance to either Deathmark or Wound and deals +50% damage. The chance to apply effects is increased by 1% for every percent of health your target lost.
Advantages:
Adds a fourth attack to the combo which can also apply effects and does +60% damage, but the base chance is reduced to 30%

Lunge:
Scythe Jump
Lunges at your target and Wounds them. Also applies Deathmark if you lunge from more than 20 feet.

Close Area Attack 1 (charge): (melee range cone Slashing damage)
Scythe Cleave
This attack deals +5% damage for every stack of your own melee effects on the target(s). Has a 10-50% to Knock Down affected target(s).
Advantages:
Increase the Knock Down chance to 50-100%, adds a 10-30% chance to apply an effect on successful Knock Down, but every successful Knock Down consumes 2 random effects. If the target is affected by less than 2 effects the Knock Down chance returns to normal;
When effects are consumed you receive their advantages (if any) [3 points];

Maintain 1: (50 feet single target Slashing damage every 0.5 seconds)
Scythe Throw
The first tick has a chance to Deathmark, every consecutive tick has a chance to Wound. This attack scales with your Strength as if it was a melee power.
Advantages:
Every tick also gains a chance to consume 1 Wound to inflict an extra tick of damage, but this attack gains a cooldown;

Close Area Attack 2 (maintain): (melee range 360 degree Slashing damage every 0.5 seconds)
Scythe Spin
This attacks loses damage, but increases you Dodge Chance and Avoidance every tick.
Advantages:
Every Dodged attack returns the skill's damage and bonus chances to original values, but consumes extra energy. This effect may only occur once every 2 seconds.

Maintain 2: (20 feet range 360 degree Slashing damage)
Scythe Tempest
This attack has a chance to Knock Up and Wound affected target(s) every tick. This attack may not Knock target(s) outside of it's own range.
Advantages:
This attack attempts to Knock Down instead;
This attack may attempt to consume a Wound every tick for extra tick of damage at the cost of extra energy.

Slotted Passive:
Slayer Stance
Greatly increases your Slashing damage. Increases all melee damage. Slightly increases Dodge Chance and Avoidance.
Targets affected by Deathmark deal 5%, 10% or 15% (Ranks 1, 2 and 3) less damage to you per stack. Wounded targets have 5%, 10% or 15% less chance per stack to hit you.

Buff Form:
Slayer Form
Passively gives you stacks of Enrage! based on rank. Also gives you additional stacks of Enrage! every time you apply Deathmark or Wound.

Active Offense:
Slayer Fury
For 15 seconds, increases you melee damage, gives your every damaging attack a chance to either Deathmark of Wound and none of your melee effects can be consumed (the effects that would consume them still apply). 90 seconds cooldown.
Advantages:
This power also assists in breaking out of Holds.

Attack 1 (charge): (single target Slashing damage)
Scythe Smash
Has a 50-100% to Knock Down and 10-50% to Wound.
Advantages:
This attacks also gains a 20% chance to apply Deathmark on full charge. This effect may only occur once every 30 seconds.

Attack 2 (click): (50 feet single target Piercing damage)
Black Spot
Deals slight damage and applies Deathmark. 30/25/20 second cooldown, based on Rank.

Ultimate (requires full charge): (50 feet cone Dimensional damage)
Call of the Grave
Deals heavy Dimensional damage that scales with your Super Stats. If target(s) are affected by 10 or more of your own melee effects, it consumes the effects, dealing 10% extra damage for each, granting you their effects (if any), refilling your energy and resetting all of your cooldowns. The stacks are still consumed if Slayer Fury is active, and Slayer Fury cooldown is reduced by only 30 seconds.
Advantages:
This attack reduces Slayer Fury cooldown by 45 seconds, but only halves any other cooldowns, and it's own cooldown is increased by 10 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seems oddly specific to only one kind of concept, a 'Reaper'. Granted, we've got no shortage of them, but the other AT's/Powersets are at least open to multiple types of concepts.

A scythe weapon already exists, it's just stupid-looking. It's a Heavy Weapon.

Like I said, it's too specific. I see this, unless I want to play some variation of the grim reaper or a death-themed toon... it's a pass.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Both heavy weapon and single/dual blade have scythes. In fact, single/dual blade actually has 2 scythe models.

Regardless, this is why we need something akin to a "form toggle", which either changes the damage type you deal or adds an additional damage type and effect, (like a dark form that deals dimensional damage and drains some life when you crit).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I know we have scythe models for heavy weapons and swords, but they are not actual scythes, they are just swords / hammers that look like scythes. And yes, this is one specific concept I had in mind, ideally it'd be a tactical offense type, which would require some brains to use properly. And since we already have a lot of "reapers" out there, why not throw them a bone? All those reapers would use the powers, the new scythe costumes and normal slayer-themed costumes, more profit for the devs which they would put to good use. Ah, one can dream, right?
    edited April 2013
    If you're that anxious to run something like a Grim Reaper, maybe you're playing the wrong genre of game? Just sayin'...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The innate abilities suggested for this set are just too powerful: They're kinda like the -dodge from despondency, the -heal from trauma, and the -RES from stagger.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    thompkinsthompkins Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    musher wrote: »
    I know we have scythe models for heavy weapons and swords, but they are not actual scythes, they are just swords / hammers that look like scythes.

Did you try the Harajuku scythe? I have it (I wanted the teddy bear on a Gatling gun :biggrin:), and it does look like a real scythe when recolored. You get it when you buy the Harajuku sidekick device (not the costume pack) so it's trivially cheap to get with Questionite.

The heavy weapons animations also look way more "reaper-y" than single blade, in my opinion. Try the Harajuku scythe with Cleave+Brimstone, throw in some darkness and infernal supernatural powers, march of the dead and resurrection serum with the advantage. You might be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: Or maybe Skewer instead of Cleave? I forget which is which.
    edited April 2013
    *sigh* Like I said, I am well aware of this harajuku scythe, but it's not a scythe, it's a heavy weapon.
    And what's wrong with running a reaper when we already have Scourge and Void?
    As for the powers that seems fairly balanced to me, just instead of a blunt Defiance+small constant heal you have some dodge with crowd control. Make no mistake, stacking 10 effets to surge the ultimate is not that easy, you can't spam it, and it still remains viable even when fighting a legendary/cosmic since they tend to do high damage. Although Deathmark should probably heal for the difference between their total and current health.
    edited April 2013
    Thing is, in terms of CO mechanics scythes are heavy weapons because this powerset is pretty much made for depicting all melee weapons bigger than one-handed ones (in reality two handed swords, great axes, maces and naginatas have little in common except being big).
    Save for polearms, as it would require staff fighting powerset.

The way how powersets are made is to make them possibly wide and generic and not cater to the very narrow concepts - this is why all firearms are stuffed into one powerset, for example.

This powerset is simply too concept specific.

Darkness and Infernal Supernatural are not as generic and can be used for many concepts. The latter is frequently used for characters with themes like radiation or non-magical epidemics.

Grim reaper concept is already covered in game by using HW and Darkness/Infernal Supernatural moves for freeforms and a Devastator archetype.
    thompkins wrote: »
    EDIT: Or maybe Skewer instead of Cleave? I forget which is which.

Cleave and Arc of Ruin are the most "reaperish" ones slow horizontal slashes. Especially AoR fits the concept with its damage resistance debuff.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well even so, this is just a general I laid out, but I see what you're getting at. I'll give it more thought later. Maybe. I fear all the effort will just go to waste with the way things are going.