test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comic-book hero adaptations

kansascoyotekansascoyote Posts: 15 Arc User
Hi. I hope that this is the place to post this. A (long) while back, I recall seeing something online with tips on how to adapt one's favorite science fiction to the GURPS system, or something like that (memory isn't what it once was). That thought got me to wondering: is there a forum thread, or separate webpage, that discusses which CO powers would be used in re-creating a given Marvel/DC/other superhero or costumed crimefighter? For instance, Johnny Storm would be pretty much confined to the fire powers in both CoH and CO. On the other hand, where Sue's force-field abilities were kind of collected together in CoH, making a Sue-type toon in CO would require a freeform slot, and knowledge of which specific powers simulate hers. (In her case, there would also be a limitation: Sneak simulates her invisibility, but the toon couldn't use Shadow Strike, since Sue has no instant-kill power, as far as I'm aware.) I think such a discussion would be very interesting reading, as well as fun to figure out. It wouldn't surprise me if such a discussion weren't allowed in the forums, given the legal atmosphere we currently live in, but I can hope. Thanks for your time.
Post edited by kansascoyote on

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't quite think it would be against the rules of the forums to discuss this for the sake of speculation, but you should know that creating characters that infringe on trademarked intellectual properties is against the rules in the game.

A thread like this might be okay if you're looking to make an homage to a well-established character, but if you go into the game as Johnny Storm or Sue Storm, expect some disappointment when your costume is suddenly gone one day, and ol' Johnny's been rechristened as Badname83274.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kansascoyotekansascoyote Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I figured that. I was thinking more like an original costume and name, but with the same powers, or as close as CO's power offerings will yield.
    edited April 2013
    Yep, nothing against that. Have at it!
    biffsig.jpg
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't quite think it would be against the rules of the forums to discuss this for the sake of speculation, but you should know that creating characters that infringe on trademarked intellectual properties is against the rules in the game.

You know as well as i do theres a VERY LARGE SG specifically committed to copying characters from several franchises and nothing has stopped them for 2 years.

You know which SG that is.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Till June 4th.. when they will likely leave the game entirely.. just sayin
    edited April 2013
    You know as well as i do theres a VERY LARGE SG specifically committed to copying characters from several franchises and nothing has stopped them for 2 years.

You know which SG that is.

Sure. But I wouldn't say the GMs never do anything about it.

Anyway, if people want to share builds that mimic comic book heroes, that's fine. So let's keep it on topic.
    biffsig.jpg
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »

For a couple days until they get bored. CO is just a better DC and M game than the legit ones when it comes to gameplay.
    edited April 2013
    Okay, there are three that came to my mind, to start things off. Storm might be a pretty easy one to compile, with powers mostly from Electricity and Wind, and maybe a bit of Ice, if it has a weather-like power. I don't know if she's ever used heat; if so, Fire might have something that doesn't actually include fire. Someone more familiar with the comic books would have to round her out. The other two are Spider-Man and the aforementioned Sue Storm. Hers would be pretty tricky, I think; force-field powers aren't grouped together like they were in CoH, and I'm not familiar enough with all of the power sets to know which powers would apply. I don't think CO has anything to even barely simulate Mr. Fantastic's abilities, and Green Lantern would be a similar challenge. Along the way, we'd probably end up compiling a list of such heroes, who can't be represented in CO. Is someone willing to supply power lists, if not builds, for Storm, Spidey and Sue?
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Storm is so easy as to be meaningless -- storm-themed characters are common, and it's easy to go a bunch of different ways (force, wind, electricity, ice, etc.). You could take it in a different direction, like Squall (add in some water-like effects, like TK Block and bioarmor), or Sirocco (mix in fire or something).

An interesting spin on Spiderman could be someone based on jumping spiders:
    Salty Sid, with crystalline white spider costume, superjump travel power (EDIT: Actually, acrobatic would probably make more sense), a good leap attack with immobilizing advantage, and some toxic bite attacks.

(There's sort of a pun there -- jumping spiders are 'salticidae')

Mr. Fantastic, you could try going with the Darkness tentacle power, with a black outfit. If you squint it could look like you're stretching out tentacles to attack someone. Also, Quicksand has an awesome visual that pours out stuff from your downward-pointing arms, that spread out and grab folks. Again, the right colors might make it look like it's part of you (I used Quicksand colored bluish for a water-themed character).

Green Lantern powers are probably best handled under Telepathy or Telekinesis. I mean, Ego Blade colored green looks pretty much like a hard light artifact.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited April 2013

What is happening June 4th?
    edited April 2013
    What is happening June 4th?

The rise of the Hulk Clones
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can think of two comic characters right off the top of my head.

Adam Warlock.

O.M.A.C.

Have at it.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • harryhausenharryhausen Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Which OMAC? Kirby, Byrne, or New-52? Or one of the Infinite Crisis era robot things?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    most heroes are really easy to do, for some of them you have only to look at the AT : the human torch = the inferno, Hawkeye/Green Arrow =the marksman, the Thing = the Behemot , Wolverine = the Savage whitout Devour Essence for others heroes :
    Susan Storm force powers with Night Warrior like the passive (alternate passive personal force field-that is alright because she can use only a superpower at time , if she turn invisible she cannot use the force field power)
    Superman/Supergirl/Mon-El and all other kryptonians/daxamites : might powers , passive: invunerability , wind breath, Eye Beam
    Batman :unharmed martial arts, gadgetery, passive: Night Warrior
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!) is easy to do as well...might powers, with Thunderstrike from Electric with Invulnerability.

Green Lantern style characters heck you can make any set into a Green Lantern if you item color all the weapons entirely the color of the ring you want and color the powers that color as well so the visual trail is green too...Hard Light heavy weapons...Hard Light Single Blades and Hard Light guns they've all been done in the comics so why not...XD...

Captain Planet on the other hand is kind of tricky...you've got Might, a smattering of Earth Wind, Fire, and Invulnerability as the passive...

but really when it comes to making characters inspired by established characters all it takes is a little imagination and creativity...
    edited April 2013
    For a couple days until they get bored. CO is just a better DC and M game than the legit ones when it comes to gameplay.

Hmm.. bored there or bored here..
    • There they can be Hulk clones all day. Here.. they cannot.
    • There they can play (and compete) for free.. everything.. Here they cannot
    • There has comprehensive comparative balance passes.. Here there are none.
    • There they have PvE and PvP with separate designed systems to increase competition.. Here there is no PvP.

So we all get what we want. NO MORE HULK CLONES IN CHAMPIONS ONLINE! PWE seriously hated taking their money..
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    • There they have PvE and PvP with separate designed systems to increase competition.. Here there is no PvP.

So we all get what we want. NO MORE HULK CLONES IN CHAMPIONS ONLINE! PWE seriously hated taking their money..

Far from us to hinder someone on his way to happiness so go play there and post in their forums too. I am sure they will apreciate you like you deserve
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's not like you can just jump into Marvel Heroes as the Hulk. They know how popular he is, so they made him a premium character. :tongue:
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was running around as Cap and throwing my shield last weekend. Huge negative thing (that there was atleast 7 Things) was that there were atleast 6 other Caps running around and throwing their shields, including 5 DDs, 8 BWs, dozen Hulks and multiple copies of others... It felt like Skrull invasion had begun and the Skrulls lacked imagination...
    :rolleyes:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2013

LOL. Answering your points in order:

• 1. Thank God they can't here. It must be very immersive to see a gazillion other Hulks in game. I would feel so special :tongue:
    • 2. WRONG!!!! By their own admission you don't get everything unless you play.
    • 3. There have been balances here, but with the much superior build options here, perfect balance is impossible, just like any modern game. I wouldn't want to give up the flexibility of our system for the sake of balance.
    • 4. We do have PvP, it's called the forums :tongue: As for in game, frankly I don't care as I don't PvP much as I tend to meet people like you when I do.

Finally, exactly how much money do you think PWE made from players who had there lvl6 Hulk clone reset? How many of these kids ragequit over this? Since neither you or I know the exact figures, it is speculative to assume it made any significant difference. Either way, if they are so keen on playing clones, they are welcome to MH and it confirms my opinion that is one game I have no intention of playing. As for yourself, here's hoping that they include Gunna Sijurvald so that you can play your ideal superhero.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    1. Thank God they can't here. It must be very immersive to see a gazillion other Hulks in game. I would feel so special :tongue:

I see what you did there. :biggrin:

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited April 2013
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    Shade

I don't know what people get from trynna come 4 me..

Champions community made it abundantly clear they don't want Marvel Characters ruining champions. Why try to pretend you want them here now?
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Which OMAC? Kirby, Byrne, or New-52? Or one of the Infinite Crisis era robot things?

Uhmm...either Kirby or Byrne's OMAC. No new 52 or robot things.

Also...looking at your avatar, I just thought of a new one to try and make. :)

Mr. Miracle.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited April 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I was running around as Cap and throwing my shield last weekend. Huge negative thing (that there was atleast 7 Things) was that there were atleast 6 other Caps running around and throwing their shields, including 5 DDs, 8 BWs, dozen Hulks and multiple copies of others... It felt like Skrull invasion had begun and the Skrulls lacked imagination...
    :rolleyes:

I'm probably the only one who would play as Jubilee.
    But that's probably why she isn't playable. -.-
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Kitty > Jubilee

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I also played Scarlet Witch. I typed 'No more mutants' on chat. It was quiet. Then 3 Wolverines ran past me. -.-
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited April 2013

I'd roll a Jubes.
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I also played Scarlet Witch. I typed 'No more mutants' on chat. It was quiet. Then 3 Wolverines ran past me. -.-

Well... on the other hand, that *does* explain how he can be in the X-Men and the Avengers and running around Madripoor as Patch all at once. :biggrin:
    edited April 2013
    I'd roll a Jubes.

13d9a20ccb74711b5b34d4f159c205ab1366922595.jpg
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Kitty > Jubilee

Them's fightin' words, bub. How can anyone not like Jubilee? She's adorable.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited April 2013
    13d9a20ccb74711b5b34d4f159c205ab1366922595.jpg

SPARKLES!

Last I heard she was a vamp without sparkles:frown:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, Jubes did once blow out the side of a mountain, when she thought the Silver Samurai had killed Wolverine. Not to worry, though, they'd ruined her power back down to being sparkly by the end of the page.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • lolife67lolife67 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Jubilee used to be one of my faves.

Then they de-powered her and turned her into a vampire.

:cool:
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lolife67 wrote: »

A "sparkly" vampire?

:biggrin:

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    She used to be one of my favorite X-men, but then:
    lolife67 wrote: »

Exactly.

Also, her chest wasn't big enough, so they had it corrected. :rolleyes:

It's stuff like this one and all "improvements" made to Spiderman that basically ended my interest with Marvel.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Them's fightin' words, bub. How can anyone not like Jubilee? She's adorable.

I like Jubilee, but...

Kitty > Jubilee.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited April 2013
    I played Jubilee (the original version) a lot in X-Men Legends. This game is one of the rare opportunities to see how powerful she was, if she actually used her potential.

Back on the actual topic: I am working on a Jubilee homage build for one of my characters. But I'm going to need powers from the Telepathy update for it...
    edited April 2013
    Back on the actual topic: I am working on a Jubilee homage build for one of my characters.

Take Celestial Cleansing! It looks like Jubes and does nothing.. like Jubes
    edited April 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    An interesting spin on Spiderman could be someone based on jumping spiders:
    Salty Sid, with crystalline white spider costume, superjump travel power (EDIT: Actually, acrobatic would probably make more sense), a good leap attack with immobilizing advantage, and some toxic bite attacks.

(There's sort of a pun there -- jumping spiders are 'salticidae').

I did some math on the jump height and distance of jumping spiders. According to what I read, they can jump about 25 times their body length horizontally, and about seven times their length vertically. Proportionally, for a six-foot-tall human, that would be about 150 feet horizontally (roughly half a city block), and about 3.5 to 4 stories vertically - both of which are pretty close to Spidey's performance. In CO, Super Jump gives you the half-block jump, but about twice the height. With Acrobatics/Athletics, the height is more in line, but you can only jump about a quarter-block. But A/A would also let you run faster, a la Spider-Man, whereas Super Jump leaves you poking along at civilian running speed.
    edited May 2013
    With Acrobatics/Athletics, the height is more in line, but you can only jump about a quarter-block.

Unless you upgrade it to rank 3. :wink: