test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Sonic/Energy Build?

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Power Discussion
Hey guys, I'm here again with a crazy concept build :p

I've wanted for quite a while to make a sonic based build, using non weapon powers, had a look on the Wiki and only found a few..so I decided to expand it to "solid sonic energy" as well, similar in concept or fashion to Songbird's "solid sound" contructs, I decided to try and incorporate sonic "blasts" of energy.

As for the stat choices...well....I wanted to try something new, and I noticed that the sonic powers in CO tend to grant or be boosted by Enrage, which requires Strength as a stat.

I've been told STR/CON/INT is also a good combo for ranged builds? So I've decided to take the plunge.

I could always do INT/CON/DEX or EGO/CON/INT but I'd like to try out this combo if possible.

This is a leveling build by the way.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Sista Sonique!

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Brilliant
Level 9: Physical Conditioning
Level 12: Body and Mind
Level 15: Healthy Mind
Level 18: Enduring
Level 21: Mighty

Powers:
Level 1: Electric Bolt
Level 1: Power Gauntlet (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 14: Thunderclap (Rank 2, Collateral Damage)
Level 17: Enrage
Level 20: Shockwave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 26: Retaliation
Level 29: Force Detonation (Rank 2)
Level 32: Soul Mesmerism (Glossolalia)
Level 35: Masterful Dodge
Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Superspeed (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Power Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Strength: Swole (3/3)
Strength: Quick Recovery (2/2)
Strength: Balance (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Locus (2/2)
Guardian: Ruthless (1/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

I chose the specs based on what I thought was best, feel free to suggest better ones, but I'd prefer not to loose the defense/offense dual boosting from Vindicator and Guardian, as I am running an offensive passive.

I'm going to try running this in Hybrid Role for the most part then switching to ranged in a team..

All feedback would be great, as I'm hoping to start this character soon.

Thanks in advance xx
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Addition: Also still mulling over the name... Sonorous? Sonique? Sonik Boom?

hmm..I like Sonique..but Sista Sonique has a nice ring to it!
    Post edited by theravenforce on
  • prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Might want to add Sonic Device from gadgeteering.

Jussayin.
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
    edited April 2013
    Might want to add Sonic Device from gadgeteering.

Jussayin.

Cannot believe i missed this lol. Any idea what could replace it? Retaliation maybe?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cannot believe i missed this lol. Any idea what could replace it? Retaliation maybe?

Do you need both conviction and BCR? Also, would protection field perhaps be more useful overall than masterful dodge? I mean, I know MD is really good, but protection field doesn't have a cooldown and would provide you with some additional energy.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Bio - I really want to like Protection Field, but without a decent investment in PRE or some of the shielding specs, it's simply lackluster. The energy return will be pretty pitiful too without more REC.

Masterful Dodge is the better choice between the two. If I was considering a shield for theme I would go with Field Surge instead, but that's also quite inferior to MD.

Raven - interesting build and synergy. I'm eager to see how this turns out. Unleashed Rage with STR PSS (for Enraged) and Electric Form could be interesting.

Is Sonic damage considered ranged damage, and therefore buffed by EGO? Would Force Bolts work as a more thematic EB and still allow the build to progress? Also, Wind Barrier might be a more thematic block with its appearance and repel. Or were you going for Retaliation's damage buff?
    edited April 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Do you need both conviction and BCR? Also, would protection field perhaps be more useful overall than masterful dodge? I mean, I know MD is really good, but protection field doesn't have a cooldown and would provide you with some additional energy.

Nothing stats wise or specs wise will be buffing Protection Field so in the long run it will provide minimal utility to the build, I did consider it though.

I normally take BCR and Convic where I can, on this build I see it as "re-invigorating soul music" :wink:
    edited April 2013
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Raven - interesting build and synergy. I'm eager to see how this turns out. Unleashed Rage with STR PSS (for Enraged) and Electric Form could be interesting.

Is Sonic damage considered ranged damage, and therefore buffed by EGO? Would Force Bolts work as a more thematic EB and still allow the build to progress? Also, Wind Barrier might be a more thematic block with its appearance and repel. Or were you going for Retaliation's damage buff?

Thanks ^^, I'm hoping this turns out well, I wanted the build to fulfill a sort of "sonic power" style set which is missing from CO.

Sonic Damage is considered Ranged Damage yes, I've tried UR with EGO and it frankly doesnt do well at all without Enraged Form, which is buffed by STR so, I have to stat STR.

Retaliation was just a filler, and I was planning to use some costume piece but, Wind Barrier could work quite well, I just need to remember what it looks like at rank 1 then weigh up the visuals vs a costume piece as a "Solid Sound" projection for Retaliation.

I would love to use Force Bolts but I cant without hindering the build, as I wouldnt be able to pick Electric Form and thus I'd be stuck.

I guess as a change to the build to make it more thematic, you could go Kinetic Darts (Sonic Bolts) and Telekinetic Assault (Flying Sound Constructs), but for the sake of the passive working and the rest of the build, I've opted to go for electric bolts which due to the sound they make -could- be passed off as Noise Bolts or something :tongue:
    edited April 2013
    The only power I'm iffy about Utility Wise is Soul Mesmerism, I'm not sure if the sonic damage from that power is affected by Electric Form.

The thing is..

Soul Mesmerism = Hypnotic Sound Waves

Ego Surge w/Nimble Mind = Freestyle! (A surge in sonic energy increasing my sonic damage for a time)

I think I might replace Soul Mesmerism for Ego Surge, but it just depends how it goes really.

My main focus powers will be shockwave and ThunderClap and UR, with the rest of the attacks being side powers really.

I've always loved Power Gauntlet for its mobility and chance to interrupt, which can translate into, powerful sonic construct hitting the enemy so hard it phases them for a short while.

I think I'll start running this build now, here is the updated version though!

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 26: Wind Barrier

Travel Powers:

Specializations:
    Strength: Quick Recovery (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)

Wish me luck :biggrin:

EDIT: Decided to leave out Sonic Device for the mean time, until either I find I'm not really needing a block enhancer, I should have decent defense with the build I'm going for by lvl 15 I think, as I'll be running Nem Gear too so my stats'll be covered. I'll update when I get to level 15 and see how everythings going, by then I should have a solid idea if a block enhancer is a "sound" choice over Sonic Device. :tongue: hurhurhur did u c wut I dud thar :biggrin:
  • variatasvariatas Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've wanted to try out a character like this for awhile, this build looks pretty cool. I'm thinking more of a character like Shriek, using heavy powered gloves to blast people with sound constructs and cause shockwaves. I just wish I could find a way to swap out for Power Bolts...
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You could probably swap Int for Rec and MSA for Sonic Device. A couple of energy builder shots with high Rec beats energy unlocks and it will increase the heal on Quick Recovery.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd say get chest beam and laser swords...even in melee role CB is great
  • prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd say get chest beam and laser swords...even in melee role CB is great

Neither do sonic damage.

Go build for winning in PvP, here in PvE, nobody cares about beating trash mobs, just about how cool you look while doing it.
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
    edited April 2013
    Well, I'm impressed and suprised by the build, stats wise and the fact that it does decent damage.

Leveling wise, it is difficult to level, I'm currently at level 19 going 20, I think everything should start to kick off once I get past lvl 30, thats when powers wise and damage wise..I -hope- I should do better.

I've been running it in Ranged damage role. I've got to say, I'm not really seeing the sonic energy damage increase or effect on Collateral Damage Advantage on Thunderclap. Also the 6 sec CD on it I have atm is a bit of a killer, I'm looking forward to enjoying this build fully when its well equiped and fully powered.

Damage on powers: Power Gauntlets..very very interesting, it works well, but feels like it would do more with EGO as a primary, but still does the interupt function nicely and does around 700-900 damage on full charge at lvl 19

Thunderclap: Quite a large let down IMO, I'm not sure if the wiki is not updated or something but its tagged as a power which deals sonic damage when in actual fact it doesnt, it deals crushing damage, the advantage grants a minor sonic damage component. I'd have loved it if it did flat out Sonic Damage, cause it looks like it should really. Damage wise: 200-300 damage, with the outer sonic doing around 300-400 damage if it hits that is. Enrage stacking is very very tough, I have to run into larger groups and fire it off for a decent effect and one stack of enrage, I was under the assumption it stacked Enrage on clap, which would have been better IMO.

Shockwave: Highly anticipated attack! I have hopes for this attack, I seem to remember it granting enrage at the end of the maintain and based on ppl hit..so I'm hoping this is the case, or this build will sort of fail quite hard.

Unleashed Rage: Looking forward to this as well, in fact more so than Shockwave, the sonic damage component of UR + my Enrage stacks, I do hope produce some mind bending results :3

Survival: Never leveled with a STR/CON/INT offensive passive build before so its all new, but I'd say it was doing pretty well survival wise, I still need to rank Conviction all the way to rank 3 so my healing is fairly ok, but I still need to watch myself in combat.

Liking the build so far though, its just proving hard to level
    edited April 2013
    I had a bit of a switch around with some advantage points/powers/specs:

Super Stats:

Talents:

Powers:
    Level 26: Sonic Device

Travel Powers:

Specializations:
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (1/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Shockwave knocks targets up at the end of a full maintain, so you'd indeed get an enrage stack.
    I'd guess force detonation works better for maintaining enrage stacks then shockwave would (that is why you have it in the first place?).
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I still like the idea of Rec over Int....but then again, I just build oddly when it comes to other players. Something just feels good to me about jumping in, nuking right from the get go and moving on.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
    edited April 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    I still like the idea of Rec over Int....but then again, I just build oddly when it comes to other players. Something just feels good to me about jumping in, nuking right from the get go and moving on.

If I get great CD gear INT will be only powering MSA, Rec on the other hand is quite nice, I'm tempted to change to either it or END. But I know that STR/CON/INT works well.

As for Shockwave, I retconned and I love it..only issue being not much stays alive long enough to finish maintain. At level 20 I get around 250 per tick so it wipes out alot and it is so much more reliable than Thundur clerp :p

But you have a very valid point Cyrone, it does seem to take ages...hmm..when I get on tomorrow, I think I'll retcon to REC but keep MSA? and then switch out Aggression to Quick Recovery.
    edited April 2013
    I believe if you ran this build in Melee role you would see a much higher damage potential, especially with UR. But that's just speculation.
    edited April 2013
    I believe if you ran this build in Melee role you would see a much higher damage potential, especially with UR. But that's just speculation.

Hmm, I might try that, I was under the assumption since it was quite ranged, ranged role would help.

I've gone back to STR/CON/INT and it works alot better past lvl 20. I'm not power leveling this build just taking it nice and slow. :biggrin:
    edited April 2013
    ..well I tried this build on PTS fully ranked with nemesis gear and...well...Ranged Role grants non crit damage of 5-6.4k, Hybrid grants 6-7.8k <--those are the only two roles I am going to realistically run this build in..then I tried for a crit and got this...

Your Unleashed Rage deals 12043 (13247) Sonic Damage to Test Dummy.

^ Was achieved in Ranged role..so I am looking forward to this build LOL and yes it was a crit.

Hmm...

Your Unleashed Rage deals 13492 (14842) Sonic Damage to Test Dummy.

^ was in Hybrid role...and yes it was again a crit and the base damage of UR is higher in Melee role...

I am thinking of seriously dropping Soul Mesmerism..doesnt fit the quick speed I need in combat, although it is a nice power, I feel that it would be better replaced with an AO such as Ego Surge + NM.

STR/CON/INT works well at lvl 40. On LIVE however she is still in the grinding process of leveling, hoping to kickstart her soon...:wink:

So yeah...SONIC BOOM! :tongue:
    edited April 2013
    Those are good numbers, but I was hoping they would be higher. Were you buffed in any other way during your test, such as with Aggressor or another AO? My Bestial/Regen and Might/AoPM builds can put out similar unbuffed numbers in Hybrid role without offensive passives (but with endgame gear).

From your tests it looks like Unstoppable or WotW might still probably outperform Electric Form, but there are still a few variables between your tests and mine.
    edited April 2013
    Those are good numbers, but I was hoping they would be higher. Were you buffed in any other way during your test, such as with Aggressor or another AO? My Bestial/Regen and Might/AoPM builds can put out similar unbuffed numbers in Hybrid role without offensive passives (but with endgame gear).

From your tests it looks like Unstoppable or WotW might still probably outperform Electric Form, but there are still a few variables between your tests and mine.

Just got a new result..it seems melee role is the way to go..

Your Unleashed Rage deals 15151 (16666) Sonic Damage to Test Dummy.

No end game gear here, just Nemesis Gear which gives you defult levels of stats.

Cause my crit chance is so low (0.3%) atm, I use Ego Surge + Nimble Mind to assure me that crit.

I've noticed alot about this build, PG seems pretty darn redundant in melee role as does everything else.

Addition: Tried this build with Unstoppable Passive in Melee role and...

Your Unleashed Rage deals 14721 (16193) Sonic Damage to Test Dummy.

I also used Force Powers for extra quick Enrage stacking...

Also got this:

Your Unleashed Rage deals 15736 (17310) Sonic Damage to Test Dummy.

So yeah...Unstoppable would be better oddly enough... o_O
    edited April 2013
    I dont think I'm going to continue this build..its so...conflicted..it tries to be ranged but its final "mega sonic" attack needs melee for a good damage boost, upon that a passive which doesnt even buff sonic damage grants higher damage potential than the passive which does...I had an odd feeling this was going to go a bit meh...oh well. :confused:

*temper tantrum* Give me the Sonic Powerset!!! (AFTER Telepathy OFC)
    edited April 2013
    Your theory was solid - I believe you were confounded by Cryptic maths.
    edited May 2013
    Your theory was solid - I believe you were confounded by Cryptic maths.

Oh well, its "working as intended" :tongue:

*Shakes fist at Cryptic Math* Damn you! Destroying another concept for me!!

I've got a particle damage build, which does a fair amount of DPS and does a nice little 12k Gigabolt on Gravitar so its all cewl :3

I think I'll just have to make up a new build for Sista Sonique...or perhaps redesign her into a new character..I did like her costume though :frown:
    edited May 2013
    katasyntax wrote: »
    There's nothing "crazy" about a new concept. Plus I think we all can see that using the same builds is very boring and unnecessary for success. LOL

I've also had the same idea of making a similar sonic build with electric form, so that should tell you something, and I wouldn't be surprised if others had thought of this years ago too.

True, but it's relatively painful to play as xD Leveling wise its a nightmare, I guess you could alter this build to be a full particle build, they are always fun to play.

Or you could try particle melee?...hmm...I might try that..
    edited June 2021