test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MMOAttackGames Top 10 Super Hero MMOs

crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
A video just came out from MMOAttackGames making a top ten list of the best super hero MMOs.

MMOAttackGames Top 10 Super Hero MMOs

What I find amusing is that two of the games on this list that ranked higher than Champions isn't even out and are obvious clones of other types of games. We all remember how SWTOR was making top charts when it wasn't even released right? That turned out well. Obviously these people must have been paid to decide what was good. Though that doesn't make what they said about Champions in their video any less true.

Although DCU does deserve some praise since they get many updates, features, content and areas added all the time for being a console game.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    call me old and crabby, but mobas are not mmos. nor are first person shooters or diablo styled dungeon crawlers. yes i know people have come to shift the term around but mmo still, to me, is a shorter from of mmorpg . there were 3 superhero mmos, now there are 2. Its good to see respect for the undisputed king, and hey, co was rated above some browser games. but for me it kind of reinforces that superhero games just are not getting the respect or development that they should have. in a better gaming world, there actually would be enough superhero games, if not mmorpgs, to actually fill the list.
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Heh...

CoH still ranks first... *sighs* that hurts... Miss those Hami raids... Crimson and Indigo storylines... Lord Nemesis... *sighs*
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    About our beloved game they said: "...there isn?t much variety in free content."
    Those guys are kidding, right? The game is totally free to play regarding content, adventure packs, comic series, all missions and zones. Only freeform and changing the color of the powers are gated in the subs. :/
    And now you can even buy a freeform slot!

Also, a lot of games that aren't even out yet and aren't very mmo-ish... :(

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you count fps,single player diablo clones,platform games, funny games for 8 years old, discontinued games,games not out yet like MMOs you get 10 superheroes games, pity that in the real world (and not in the fantasyland the authors seem to live in) there are today 19 April 2013 only two of them: Champions Online and DCUO and a third in the works Marvel Superheroes (that you could count like another Diablo clone). OK this is internet and you can put online everything and its opposite but ...
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't mind that they ranked DCU higher, but wow, unreleased and shut down games? And an FPS that barely counts?

Should have added Freedom Force by that logic, since it had online Multiplayer.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the fact that they tried it over a year ago, there sample was a level 6 doing canada missions.

heres a link for the article itself to add rude messages, I mean corrections
    http://mmoattack.com/mmo-articles/top-10-best-superhero-mmo-games

in the article they do actually say that some are browser games, others are kids games and one is Call of Duty with Batman and that one is Diablo
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The way I see it, anything that's worse than Gotham City Impostors doesn't deserve to exist as a game. Seriously, the weapons are more unbalanced than an infant trying to walk. Way to go putting up an unreleased and shut down game against one that's been active for years.

"This game promises to be one of the best..." No. Shut up. You look like an idiot. If it hasn't come out yet, then you're buying into hype and you look moronic.

Number 4 and 3 both unreleased. On the basis of what the developers promise and that it looks pretty.

DCUO: "The most crucial aspect of this game's greatness is the comic book feel players get..." I... I just don't even... Turn on comic-book style outlines.

No. Just... No. Please put two brain cells into your Top 10's.

Edit: Yes, I did just make an account on their site to call them out.
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say this may not be the most respected computer game news site on the web.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say this may not be the most respected computer game news site on the web.

I'm also going to take a shot in the dark with my relevatory skill, and say that nobody actually pays attention to Top 10 lists, or even MMO Ratings scores anyway.

I just want to get mad at something other than this game for a change.

Because you can't spell Cryptic without Cry.... :'(
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • Options
    docclarksavagejrdocclarksavagejr Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Probably a real good guess, Scott m'man.
  • Options
    docclarksavagejrdocclarksavagejr Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OMG and it's a VIDEO with a dork and a nerdgirl?

Cripes. I'll not be soliciting these folks for any gaming info about ANYTHING again.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The chick is hawt. I just watched it with sound off.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love that in the article the screenshot for Marvel whatever-its-called-now looks like its straight out of diablo lol

snake people archers, a robed something with a sword, lightning striking, in a bland generic grassed fantasy land setting.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    I've never heard about MMOAttackGames before.

They aren't Massively.
    They aren't MMOhut.
    Who they are and why I should take their review seriously?
    I guess I shouldn't, given their level of professionalism.

Nice chick, however.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    klitty wrote: »
    About our beloved game they said: "...there isn?t much variety in free content."
    Those guys are kidding, right? The game is totally free to play regarding content, adventure packs, comic series, all missions and zones. Only freeform and changing the color of the powers are gated in the subs. :/
    And now you can even buy a freeform slot!

Also, a lot of games that aren't even out yet and aren't very mmo-ish... :(

I think they're saying that there's isn't much variety in the content... which is true.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is MMO Attack some kind of April Fool's site, ore are there really dweebs out there who consider themselves gaming journalists despite not knowing the difference between MMOs and MOBAs?

No wonder they couldn't find anyone willing to pay them for getting ranked #1.
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pffffffffffft

This was just cringeworthy. Especially that girl with the fake nerd glasses and pop culture t-shirt.
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They should have added Shadowrun Online, because of Trolls, Orks and kitties!!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No thanks. There's too much hack game journalism. The warning sign was that they nominated a game that is dead. Garbage deserving ridicule.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They do say up front "Top Past, Present, and Future." But with the coverage that we got, I'm surprised they even knew the game existed. It's like they found Champs was a game when they googled Superhero MMO and decided to plop it in.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    if you freeze the sample of CO, you can see the level 6 is in canada doing level 6 missions, that pretty much dates it
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Its obvious that they just grabbed what other reviewers had done and based their info on what they experienced. It makes sense considering that the top viewed Youtube videos on Champions Online is 2 or 3 years old.

And CoH was mentioned? I was certain that during that minute they were pretty much saying "This game is great and YOU'LL NEVER GET TO PLAY IT NOW!" over and over again.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know whats funny. Local gamesites here don't even mention CO. OK, some did. In year 2009.
    Stupid Finns.
    satw_finland_perkele.png
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't think they did a good job with this review.

I present the following reasons as to why:

1. I can agree with DCUO being #1, but MMOFPS games are not MMORPG games. Champions Online, City of Heroes, DCUO, Marvel Online, etc. all fall into the MMORPG category.

I'm a big fan of shooters, action games, and roleplaying games. And yes I'm aware more shooters have been gradually shifting to adding more RPG elements into the FPS games, such as Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.

The key difference though to me lies in the focus of the action. Roleplay games focus on being able to live a fantasy. Shooter games focus on the elegance & skill of shooting combat (whether that being single player, multiplayer, or both/co-op).

To conclude, in RPGs (roleplaying games) the focus in on gathering more stuff, whereas in shooter the focus is on shooting stuff. So yeah, I think they added shooter "superhero MMOs" to act as a filler for what is an otherwise too short of a list.

2. DCUO is most certainly NOT better than Champions when it comes to character customization or feeling like their characters are actually superheroes. In DCUO, you are a sidekick which is quickly forgotten. The advantages are in DCUO's corner when it comes to better graphics (which btw, not everyone can afford the hardware to play it at that high quality), better physics, and more newbie-friendly controls. Champions is for the player who loves to make unique characters of their own imagination.

3. They spent way too much time talking about City of Heroes when talking about Champions Online. Count the seconds they spent talking about City of Heroes versus actually mentioning stuff in champions online.

4. They failed to show anything interesting about late-game stuff in Champions Online. No shots of the character creator. No Therakiel. No Vibora Bay. No Blood Moon. No Nighthawk. No Teleiosaurus, or Grond, or Bleak Harbinger. Just stupid Canadian Crisis. No costume contests. And certainly no PvP. This leads me to believe they only played about an hour of the game and uninstalled it.
  • Options
    manwholaughsmanwholaughs Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That list is such a bad joke it hurts, two of those "MMOs" aren't even out yet!
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are only two superhero MMO's. Champions Online, and DCUO.

DCUO will continue to beat CO because they have people actually working on their products and updating the options.

CO can't even be bothered to FIX their broken products, or provide customer service. But vehicles, apparently.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    This leads me to believe they only played about an hour of the game and uninstalled it.

You give them too much credit.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    The advantages are in DCUO's corner when it comes to better graphics (which btw, not everyone can afford the hardware to play it at that high quality)
    DCUO is actually less demanding than CO. No matter what system requirements says, CO has terrible memory leaks and its stability is really poor. Not to mention it looks good only at relative high graphic settings.
    Meanwhile PC version of DCUO is much better optimalised and looks reasonable even with medium settings.
    At least when it comes to maps and environments. Characters in DCUO have a rather strange proportions and disturbing look of rubber-made figures. But in terms of making use of your hardware DCUO again beats CO.
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Worrying about this top ten list would be like worrying about a trashy, irrelevant gossip columnist fibbing about your favourite celebrity.

The MMORPG list, when you only look at the Super-Hero genre, is more credible.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can't argue against City of Heroes, but numbers 4 -2 were clearly favoured because they are DC and Marvel.
  • Options
    hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    CO has terrible memory leaks and its stability is really poor.

A lot of this is the NoSQL backend (essentially, instead of putting stuff into a database, everything's a file in the host filesystem). This can make for a terrifically flexible setup. But stability in a low-latency environment sucks.

Most of this is because the guys at Cryptic simply never had a clue about how to PROPERLY design a SQL database backend for their system. CoH used to regularly burp hundreds of megabytes worth of records into its database consisting of nothing but (NULL) values.

Here's their attempt to justify it:

http://www.slideshare.net/coderanger/sql-considered-harmful

Here's one of the most damning things out of the entire slide presentation.

Domain integrity responsibility of programmer

And, in case it isn't clear slides 32 and 38 are content dumps of some of their text files.
  • Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yesterday I saw a hero that was clearly Statesman inspired called (something with paragon in his name). So i PMed him:
    "how do you like Champions Online"
    He responded:
    "its better than COX :)"

/shrug

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In all my years playing MMO's I have never heard of that website. Neither have any of my long time MMO buddies. Who are they? MMOHUTS idiot brother?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Eh, don't worry. Not like people take the world of gaming journalism seriously anymore.

At least I hope so.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    oyo32 wrote: »
    Eh, don't worry. Not like people take the world of gaming journalism seriously anymore.

At least I hope so.

Hillarious, but, sadly, true, from what I've seen lately.

And now I'm picturing a CO-Of-Duty Frito Lay/Coca Cola-sponsored DLC Map Pack with Dubstep-Defender soundtrack. Only available at Gamestop!
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yesterday I saw a hero that was clearly Statesman inspired called (something with paragon in his name). So i PMed him:
    "how do you like Champions Online"
    He responded:
    "its better than COX :)"

/shrug

I have one called Paragon Crusader, and I know that isn't me you saw. I wouldn't have responded that way.

Back to the "article," one thing that no one has mentioned, so I suspect it hasn't been considered, is that it's a top ten list. Can anyone name ten SPMMOs that aren't on this list? (No, SW:TOR doesn't count!) Of course they had to play fast and loose with what constitutes an MMO. It's a very shallow pond they're fishing in.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like that after several people called them out for listing unreleased and shutdown games they changed the name of the video in an attempt to justify it...

That says all there needs to be said for any semblance of journalistic integrity from that source. Though I would like the time machine they apparently have to be able to rate, review and rank future games....
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    In all my years playing MMO's I have never heard of that website. Neither have any of my long time MMO buddies. Who are they? MMOHUTS idiot brother?

Even MMOhut can be hasty...
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So are any of these games really MMOs ? Since i always thought there are only 3 Superheroes MMOs that exist if we still count CoH :confused:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seems that they struggled to find 10 games. And the top only reached subscription of about 150,000 or so or near 200,000? Kind of sad. Some one could make market advertise and maintain and put some time sweat blood and tears to even a quarter of what the run of the mill fantasy game that won't make even the top 100 list and probably reach that million mark easily. First have to shake the developer stereotype that a good game must have gear no customization and lots and lots of elves to be marketable. At one point in time way back when arcades when the joint it was thought that home console games were unmarketable and will never catch one. It took someone with the cash and balls to try it outside the usual vision to make it happen. Now arcades are near extinction and consoles are all the rave. Unmarketable means people see a rock not bothering to notice the diamond inside and will soon be "dang only if I knew then."
  • Options
    evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    the gear system in CO is wrong. it shouldnt be there. they had the right idea with spec trees.
    give us more of that and get rid of gear. you know we could have specs buff one stat or another what have you, instead of gear. levels the playing field a bit too.

It do seem to have been shoehorned in like they thought about going gearless but changed mind and put gear in there just to have gear in the game.