test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Not fully understanding Freeforms...help?

seanstanseanstan Posts: 23 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Power Discussion
I have been playing this game (on and off) for years, and have never touched the option of Freeform. I've always stuck to Archetypes because it's easier to do and doesn't require much learning like Freeform does. I'm interested in making a Freeform, because I've heard they can be much better in every aspect than Archetypes if they are built correctly, but that leaves the issue...I'll probably build one incorrectly if I try on my own.
How far can Freeform extend? If made correctly, could you have a hero that can be ready for any situation imagined through the use of multiple builds? As said, I'm new to Freeform, so keep it simple when explaining.
Post edited by seanstan on

Comments

• Options
    thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    seanstan wrote: »
    could you have a hero that can be ready for any situation imagined through the use of multiple builds?

Not really, you don't really get enough powers for that. But it's fairly easy to be able to switch between a more DPS oriented and a more defensive build by having two slotted passives if you want to.

Your best bet for your first freeform is deciding what you want from the character, either as a general concept (say, "super martial artist bitten by a radioactive toaster"), or wqith some specific ideas on stuff you'd really like to be part of the build (anything from "I'd really like power XYZ because the anim is so cool" to "I finally want a character that can melee Gravitar").

When you've decided, come back to this subforum for more specific build advice. Maybe if your idea is crazy enough people will have to tell you iit just can't be turned into a workable build, but more likely, some friendly build expert will come up with a build suggestion.
  • Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you're really good at build creation, I'd say you could indeed have an any-situation character like you're asking for. I have such a build myself; a character that can switch between damage, tank, and support roles, and do each one extremely well. Granted, secondary aspects of each build are not present (in other words, the damage build is ONLY about damage, its survival is poor relative to other damage characters), but it's still very effective at whichever specific role is used.

As Arkady said, your best bet to avoid making mistakes is to come up with a basic idea that you want to follow, and get help from experienced builders here on the message boards. As you look at builds and information, you'll learn how it all comes together, and will eventually be confident enough to take a whack at it yourself.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've been interested in trying to create the "ultimate elemental hero" in the sense that he combines Electric (Tempest), Wind (Squall), and Fire (Inferno) powers. Definitely a Damage type, possibly able to use the elements to become a (likely less powerful) defensive type if needed.
    Not quite sure how that translates into a build, but that's a concept I'd like to work with if it's possible.
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    More than likely, however, is just having a completely OP build regardless of role.

Most of the "very powerful" freeforms have the ability to do damage, tank and heal (and whatever else) by themselves without having to bother with multiple builds.

Basically, just think of a concept you would like to make - Superman, Human Torch, Striperella, DarkittyDemonDarkLordOfDarkness, whatever - and then build around that idea.

Things to focus on - have a passive defense, an active defense, a self heal, one of the damage boosting toggles, an area attack and a single target attack, with everything else either supporting those things, or supplementing them.

Once you have a general idea of what you'd like to build, throw down your ideas and picks and then folks around here can build around your preferences, and more importantly, explain how certain powers help each other out.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've been interested in trying to create the "ultimate elemental hero" in the sense that he combines Electric (Tempest), Wind (Squall), and Fire (Inferno) powers. Definitely a Damage type, possibly able to use the elements to become a (likely less powerful) defensive type if needed.
    Not quite sure how that translates into a build, but that's a concept I'd like to work with if it's possible.

Heh, you beat me to my reply. That's a good concept by the way, I know someone with something similar who was pretty awesome. I sent him a PM to see if he's available.
  • Options
    hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing to remember with freeforms.

YES, you CAN choose powers from any and everything.

But remember, certain powers require X-number of in-set power choices or X+Y number of out-of-set power choices before you can access them.

Like Inertial Dampening Field. You need 5 powers from Force or 6 powers (excluding your Energy Builder) from any other sets before you can take it.

Also, remember that some powers (like forms) are mutually exclusive. Like the aforementioned IDF and Enrage. Activating one turns off the other. Granted, someone looking to build damage with Enraged stacks can still operate without the Enrage form power. It's simply a shortcut.

Plus, the role you're in will dictate what kind of passive you can slot.

Do yourself a favor and do a little fiddling in Powerhouse. While it takes away a bit of spontaneity, it makes the decisions while leveling up MUCH simpler, cutting down on the number of respecs you require.
  • Options
    s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you can't be the healer, the tank and the dps at the same time, but you can come close to it, the problem is, that you will be very spread out because of it, and that will resault in you having not much of any of those 3 aspects.

so I say, choose one, and focus on it.
    the option of choosing what powers you want allows you to make up for what you lack.

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    seanstan, you can absolutely do an elemental character who uses powers from many sets. The key is to use a tool like powerhouse to pick your powers in an order that works w/ the tiering requirements, (power A may require 3 other powers from the same set, or 4 from any set, or so on).

In general, though, the easiest way to go is to pick a solid defensive passive, such as invulnerability, and then take whatever attacks you want. A good general rule to go by is to take 1 strong single target attack, 1 AoE, and I also like to take a maintain attack somewhere in there. A self heal is also nice to have, as a freeform, (conviction is my go-to power for most characters).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I suggest using Fire for passive damage (Snake and Flashfire), Ice for defenses (Ice Barrier, Vapor Form, Wall of Ice), Wind Main Attack and AoE (Stormbringer Passive, Typhoon and Hurricane).

Throw in a self heal that looks thematic (Empathic Healing from telepathy looks like fire). And an active defense or two.

You'll be able to use Ive Barrier and Vapor form and Active defenses to boost your defense when needed, not to mention your self heal. You'll also be debuffing/crowd controlling using Fire Snake, and Flash Fire/Ice Wall are great crowd control for mobs too. Pick your main 2 attacks of choice (Typhoon and Hurricane) and target enemies after they've been disabled.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't know what half of those powers are x.x
    For the record, I've only FULLY played through Inferno, Tempest, and Soldier (although Soldier doesn't fit into what I'm aiming for here). I don't know if someone here could make a build for me or if I should just try myself, too xD I don't feel safe trying it by myself just yet
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't know what half of those powers are x.x
    For the record, I've only FULLY played through Inferno, Tempest, and Soldier (although Soldier doesn't fit into what I'm aiming for here). I don't know if someone here could make a build for me or if I should just try myself, too xD I don't feel safe trying it by myself just yet

I'd be happy to help you with a build - can you give me an idea of what sort of attacks are important to you, and what element is your favorite? Are there certain things you want to avoid? I wouldn't want to throw together a build using just my preferences since you'll be the one playing...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well, powers that I liked from Tempest, Inferno, and Squall (though I haven't made it past level 13 on my Squall due to interest in my Soldier hero) that would probably be useful on this would be things like Lightning Arc, Lightning Storm, Fireball, Conflagration, and Hurricane. I believe I read that Stormbringer (Slotted Passive) gives damage increase to Crushing, Cold, and Electric, so I'd imagine that would make sense to fit in there as well.

Personally, of the 3, I'd like the hero to be more focused on Wind powers, but still relatively balanced, if that makes sense.

Also, not as related to the build, but I do have a storyline/name created:

"Sepemar is a god and a demon. He was cast out of both Heaven and Hell, and was stuck in limbo. As he lingered in limbo for many millennia, the evil side of his persona grew so large that it split from his body. He was re-accepted into Heaven on the promise that he hunt down his evil side and remove it from the universe. With his now purified soul, he is searching for whatever creature his evil side has possessed next, and hopes to one day eradicate it from this universe. He controls all elements, choosing to use Electric, Fire, and Wind powers against evil."

Anything I'm missing, lemme know, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread all night xD
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Here's a very basic build, (I left a lot open for you to play around with):

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Endurance (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Invincible
    Level 6: Investigator
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Ascetic
    Level 18: Daredevil
    Level 21: Academics

Powers:
    Level 1: Wind Lash
    Level 1: Hurricane
    Level 6: Wind Reverberation
    Level 8: Stormbringer
    Level 11: Fireball
    Level 14: Conviction
    Level 17: Wall of Ice
    Level 20: Cave In
    Level 23: Lightning Storm
    Level 26: Typhoon
    Level 29: Flashfire
    Level 32: Avalanche
    Level 35: Wind Barrier
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Tornado Flight
    Level 35: Lightning Flash

Specializations:
    Endurance: Readiness (3/3)
    Endurance: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Endurance: Kickback (2/2)
    Endurance: Hardened (2/2)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'll take a look and start out with that once I finish working through Whiteout (which if I may say is my favorite so far, I love it xD)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'll take a look and start out with that once I finish working through Whiteout (which if I may say is my favorite so far, I love it xD)
    Thanks!

Sounds good. Be aware that I chose END as the primary super stat mainly because of its spec tree and how it interacts with wind reverberation. I like that its specs up your energy equilibrium, HP, and provides extra energy when you use your energy builder, then another attack.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Am I missing something in that I can not choose Hurricane as a starting power on the character selection thing?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Am I missing something in that I can not choose Hurricane as a starting power on the character selection thing?

By default you can't pick it, but you should be able to retcon out of the first power, (after your EB), for free when you go the the powerhouse.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Got it working, it's working so well that I got carried away and died in the process x.x
    I never would have thought of Wind Reverberation working so well this early in the game, that's the type of thing I have to learn. Thanks for the help man, I'll respond if there's any additional issues along the way in the next few days :p

-Edit- Since this is a new character, now would be a good time to ask about stats - as I'm leveling up, which stat (if any one in particular) should I try to keep the highest? Or should I just keep them relatively equal? -Edit-
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Got it working, it's working so well that I got carried away and died in the process x.x
    I never would have thought of Wind Reverberation working so well this early in the game, that's the type of thing I have to learn. Thanks for the help man, I'll respond if there's any additional issues along the way in the next few days :p

-Edit- Since this is a new character, now would be a good time to ask about stats - as I'm leveling up, which stat (if any one in particular) should I try to keep the highest? Or should I just keep them relatively equal? -Edit-

Glad to hear things are going, err, mostly well for you. Personally, I just focus on my 3 super stats. To be honest, though, what I do is try to save up for a full set of the 11,000 Questionite gear - they level up as you do, boost all 3 of your super stats, and for every 3 pieces from the same set you equip, you receive an additional bonus, (+damage resist for armadillo set, +nonphysical damage buff for the cyber set, and +physical damage buff for the samurai set).

Otherwise, I recommend running the various Westside missions until you get to about level 15, before doing alerts, so you have all your super stats and such...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I have a decent amount of Zen (1,305) I could partially sell in the exchange to get enough Q for the 11,000 gear, I might do that. And what I had meant was which of the 3 superstats, if any, should be higher than the others.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I have a decent amount of Zen (1,305) I could partially sell in the exchange to get enough Q for the 11,000 gear, I might do that. And what I had meant was which of the 3 superstats, if any, should be higher than the others.

I wouldn't sell my Zen for Q just yet. You can get decent gear off the auction house or from missions. As for your stats, your primary super stat should be highest, with your secondary super stats being about 60% of that value.

BTW, if you'd like more help in-game, feel free to contact me @biostem .
  • Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You're likely gonna want a Form, too. :P Concentration, most likely. In which case, I'd recommend focusing on Intelligence most, followed by Constitution, and lastly Endurance. You won't need a heck of a lot of Endurance for your energy to skyrocket each time you toss out your Energy Builder.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You could also work on the heirloom gear by doing the nemesis missions. Since these are aco**** bound you could run several characters daily each saving up for a piece of gear then send it off to your alt. This is especially helpful since it levels with you, works your 3 stats, and gives you an xp buff, that you could also transfer to another toon at any time.

And these pieces don't cost zen or require Questionite grinding, just running the nemesis missions which are actually pretty fun, with the exception of the bugged ones.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm not finding that I really need this Conviction healing power as of now...at least not at this level. What are some other healing powers I could get (I don't think I'll need it/them for a while, so the time I get it doesn't really matter)? I don't know any, I've never used them, always relied on healers xD

-Edit- I sent you a friend request, I'm @FrozenPhoenix495. Wish the forums would show that name instead x.x -Edit-