test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Livestream & Costume Contest with TrailTurtle

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited April 2013 in Super News Network
Livestreaming and costume contests - two things we?re huge fans of, especially when combined!

This Wednesday, TrailTurtle is going to be hosting a costume contest in the Powerhouse Theater. TrailTurtle will be cracking jokes, telling stories and answering questions on a livestream, while a dedicated corps of fellow players judge the winners. The winners will get resources and undying praise.

Get the details in the blog post...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will the Amazing Rubber Boy make his appearance?
    :biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh, neato.

<_< Might have to come down for this.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you haven't already decided on judges, please feel free to let me know. :)
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Good time for it, too. Makes sure non of that Euro trash will participate, except maybe unemplayed gits what don't need to catch their sleep before a work day. :mad:
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,519 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will players who try to disrupt the activity by rolling through the area with flashy-glowy oversized character be punished in some way? Now that this has bee so widely publicized it seems like some such disruption is guaranteed.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • mayhem63mayhem63 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thearkady wrote: »
    Good time for it, too. Makes sure non of that Euro trash will participate, except maybe unemplayed gits what don't need to catch their sleep before a work day. :mad:

Wait, Euro trash?
    What is wrong with you and what on earth made you so bitter against the other half of CO's player base?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I believe he belongs to that "Euro trash" and the :mad: is about the time not about people, since 6pm PDT is 4 am (in where i am). Good thing i belong to that "unemplayed gits" so i can stay awake...or i just work at weird times...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • mayhem63mayhem63 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh, Sarcasm. I didn't catch that this time around, my bad. >.>
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,123 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wow, that's quite late for me, and on a uni night X_X

I guess the amazing NRGMuffin.exe and Techna Ology cannot make their appearances Q_Q
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll try to be there! I don't know my work schedule past Tuesday, so 'try' is the best I can give ya. Some days I work 'til 6 PDT. Q_Q

@gradii: There's only one way to get better with crowds, y'know. C'mon, show up, just hang around, you don't even have to say anything!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Will players who try to disrupt the activity by rolling through the area with flashy-glowy oversized character be punished in some way? Now that this has bee so widely publicized it seems like some such disruption is guaranteed.

I don't think any trolls would be stupid enough to do that in front of a dev let alone the com rep with the power to do something about it.
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't think any trolls would be stupid enough to do that in front of a dev let alone the com rep with the power to do something about it.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity. It deserves it's own Power Framework.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yay! I should be able to make it for once (school vacation).

I have some toons that could compete in the given categories, too.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited April 2013

It's an American based game. I'd be more sympathetic to you, but not once in my 3 years of hosting and judging has any European player come up to me and ask if they could get help hosting a CC for other European players, or be put on Contest-Central's MotD CC list.

You want a CC at a time that works for you? Host one. There's a link in my signature on how to do just that.

voos2b.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He has a point, I've tried posting one for Australia time but not enough people where around and the ones who were, were mostly zombies.

I'll think about it briefly(hey I'm using a knife and powertool) just before lunchtime. Then catch any pictures when I get home in the afternoon.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited April 2013
    Unqualified blather.

We're not talking about a player-run event in this case. We're talking about on eofficially announced on the game's website, for a game that habitually rips Euro players off on pricing, and the event specifically timed to maximized Euro player exclusion.

That's bad form for the company, and they're the ones I'm calling on it.

I'm not calling players on hosting events at a time that's convenient for them, because that's quite obviously their prerogative.

I am calling you on your unqualified blather because you're mixing the two things in an unacceptable way.
    edited April 2013
    We're talking about on eofficially announced on the game's website, for a game that habitually rips Euro players off on pricing, and the event specifically timed to maximized Euro player exclusion.

You're absolutely right, it was silly of me not to jump to conclusions. The possibility of the aforementioned time being TTs only open time slot, or any other valid reason preventing him from hosting at other times is ridiculous. I'll be sure to not give people the benefit of the doubt in the future.

voos2b.jpg
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Calling Flare unqualified about cc information is like calling Neil DeGrasse Tyson unqualified to speak about science. His point stands correct, I've seen it bear out time and time again in my years of playing this game and hosting contests: This is a time that lots of ccs happen, and therefore a logical one for TT to host. TT's in North America, and I'm *sure* this was a spur of the moment just for fun community event. Remember when Tyshien used to do her random raids? Those happened between 4-7st too. Personally, I've tried multiple times to hold CCs in EU time. I get 10 people at the top end, max. Servers tend to be kinda dead, and CCs just end up being "give my g to the 5 people who show up" wastes of time. It's really not like this is one of those "log into the pts to do X" things... although those tend to be around that time as well, which is probably something that should be looked at. Consider that he might also be working off of the busiest times for the server, using statistics we don't have access to. Consider that he has to work around his normal hours of sleep.

Consider as well that what you basically just said is that he's intentionally trying to exclude European players, while all he's actually doing is just hosting a fun event for a laugh.

I mean, we could turn this into some sort of stupid argument, but I suggest the second route: Let's instead relax, and don't take it personally. It wasn't intentional, I'm sure, and the timing he picked is *really* good for CC hosting. Hell, I'm American and I currently work graveyard shifts. I'ma miss it too. Know what? It happens. I'll be in the same time constraints you're talking about for a while, so don't take this as me saying get over it, while getting to enjoy the contest. I feel you, but I can't honestly expect Turtle to stay up till 6 in the morning, just to do stuff at the same time I'm active.

It's just a cc, it's really not *that* big of a deal.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Caliga is intrigued by this and demands to know details including the time it will take place. Also, will there be roasted quail?
    edited April 2013
    This is a time that lots of ccs happen, and therefore a logical one for TT to host.

One could, on the other hand, argue that not hosting it at the time they happen anyways might be more beneficial in terms of getting more people actively interested.

Anyways, what I really dislike is an event being announced through rather official channels that's timed rather well to exclude the major Non-American markets (it's definitely too late for Europe, but rather early for Australia/Eastern Asia).

You want unofficial fun? Keep it unofficial.

You want something official? Try to pretend at least you give a damn about players outside the US of A.

Cryptic? Chooses door number three, which is really bad form.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ark, it is not "timed... to exclude non-American channels."

It is timed to fit the schedule of the person hosting the event.

Maybe back off just a tad on the arrogance, paranoia, and self-entitlement? I thought it was Americans who were supposed to be like that...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2013
    The timing was chosen to maximize impact. I don't have a lot of time on my hands right now -- I'm going to be AFK in Germany for two weeks, so I'm sprinting to get everything prepared before I leave -- so I only have time to host one livestream, and I chose the peak US time. It's a side benefit that, at that time, players are already primed for costume contests.

I don't want EU players to feel excluded, though, so I'll dig around some numbers and try to find a time to do EU-timed events in the future. Those hours don't work as well for me, though, so they might be a bit fewer.

xcaligax wrote: »
    Caliga is intrigued by this and demands to know details including the time it will take place. Also, will there be roasted quail?

Starts at 6PM PDT/server time... I think an hour, hour and a half before your CC begins. There will not be roasted quail, I'm afraid, but I may livestream me roasting a quail. Or cooking a pop-tart. Whichever is available.
    edited April 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    t is timed to fit the schedule of the person hosting the event.

Which sounds perfectly reasonable in principle, and would be absolutely acceptable for an unofficial fun event.

This contest, however, was announced on the front page like a big news official event; maybe that's because Cryptic/PWE wanted to use it to make CO look more alive than it really is.

I'm certainly not going to back down from feeling entitled to official events being organized to be inclusive for non-American players, too - simply because that's what I'd expect from a company that cares about all it's player base.

trailturtle, please don't get me wrong - it's real nice that there's any love left for the CO community. Except it would feel a lot more like there's love left for the entire community as a whole if an event like this at least happened same time Friday instead. (It's easier to stay up way too late before the weekend for many here in Europe, and I imagine going ingame Saturday morning is much more of an option for Aussies than trying to do so on Thursday morning.)
    edited April 2013
    I'll try to take it into account going forward. I know some of PWE's other games have large EU communities, I imagine there's a goodly number here as well.
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Before you go away, can you please turn on double xp weekend like at the beginning of the Lemurian event?

So we can make new characters in theme for the current Forum Malvanum event too.
    edited April 2013
    Don't think there'll be a double XP weekend, I'm afraid.
    edited April 2013
    Though I am happy that the contest had a great turnout, I am bummed!

The theater zone filled up by 8:30 or so. No contest for me.

:(

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Keep trying! Not sure what the limit is but there's room on the lit tiles for a few more . :)

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Zone is not open anymore. Already created a zone #2.

I hope the contest went well.
    :)

edited April 2013
    I missed the contest and the livestream. That's what happens when I try to deal with a day after the kids wake me up at 2am, I suppose... <shrug>
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I didn't win.

I'm calling it rigged. :biggrin:
    edited April 2013
    Thanks everyone for coming out tonight, it was pretty excellent and a lot of fun. Many props to producer LordGar for coming out and joining us, and to my excellent judges who kept the CC running smoothly while I entertained the participants!

Standout of the night: Retina Regular. The moment I realized that was an eyeball... that was a trip.
    jonsills wrote: »
    I missed the contest and the livestream. That's what happens when I try to deal with a day after the kids wake me up at 2am, I suppose... <shrug>

Ouch, man, that's rough... Everyone healthy?
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I quite enjoyed the livestream. Thanks for doing this, TT.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for doing this TrailTurtle!

I do get your point: it helps to hold special events at different times of the day so different people can access it, including people like me who work two jobs (which is why I was not able to attend regrettably).

That said, even if I don't get to go to it, I'm still happy TrailTurtle is doing it. Afterall, we're in sore need of some good PR stuff for a change, so your initial post in this thread I find to be offensive and in need of a nice cup of... well... you get my drift. :biggrin: You made a fair point, but the way you presented it was whiny/needy if you ask me
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this TrailTurtle!

I do get your point: it helps to hold special events at different times of the day so different people can access it, including people like me who work two jobs (which is why I was not able to attend regrettably).

That said, even if I don't get to go to it, I'm still happy TrailTurtle is doing it. Afterall, we're in sore need of some good PR stuff for a change, so your initial post in this thread I find to be offensive and in need of a nice cup of... well... you get my drift. :biggrin: You made a fair point, but the way you presented it was whiny/needy if you ask me.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    Many of us haven't an Usa army cup full of coffee to keep them awake at late night but you have a point about the different times of the day, for example for me and those that live in my time zone the contest was at 3.00 a.m. I was able to attend because of my masochism that let me stay awake at that time of night but how many european Champions that could have some interesting costume to show did, wisely,prefer to sleep the event over?
    I'll try to take it into account going forward. I know some of PWE's other games have large EU communities, I imagine there's a goodly number here as well.
    You imagine right
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Post a picture of the winners for those who weren't there maybe ?:smile:

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hello there. I participated at the CC last night on my main, Britannia....thanks for hosting TT, also thanks to Bacon Overlord and the others for helping out:smile:

The thing is, I couldn't participate and watch the live feed at the same time for fear of a crash on my crappy computer. I don't suppose it was recorded was it?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to watch it...it was a spectacular turn out:biggrin:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited April 2013
    Much later, after the CC, I ran into Iris for the first time "in person". I simply said, "Howdy," and Trailturtle said, "Greetings!"

It was my consolation prize for missing the CC, but it put a smile on my face.

:D

• arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I brought Texas Titan out for most of the CC but had to bail for work. Glad to see a great turnout for it. Thanks TT for the activity. Hopefully next time I can hang around for the entire event.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • manwholaughsmanwholaughs Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Every question that players asked trailturtle concerning possible future content updates for champions was responded with either "I have no idea, sorry" or "I can't really say, but probably unlikely", but hey, at least he got to judge a parody of himself!
    edited April 2013
    It wasn't a dev Q&A.

It was a community event, costume contest.

edited April 2013
    Ouch, man, that's rough... Everyone healthy?
    Yeah, everyone's fine - appreciate the concern, though. It's just that they're both autistic, so their sleep patterns, ah, aren't always as regular as they might be. And then they have to come and lay with me, which was fine when they were wee ones, but the older one's almost in her teens now, so things get a little crowded and it becomes impossible to sleep. And so the next day I wind up falling asleep at my computer when I'm trying to make it to the CC and meet&greet... :smile:

At the least, I want to see a pic of Retina Regular, though!

edited April 2013
    The thing is, I couldn't participate and watch the live feed at the same time for fear of a crash on my crappy computer. I don't suppose it was recorded was it?

http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/392301069

Every question that players asked trailturtle concerning possible future content updates for champions was responded with either "I have no idea, sorry" or "I can't really say, but probably unlikely", but hey, at least he got to judge a parody of himself!

A lot of the things players are asking about are just not on the schedule -- the dev team is really heads-down on the story arcs, and trying to keep focused on that so there aren't any delays. Right now, most of these things are on what my boss calls the "emotional to-do list" -- we're emotionally committed to them, but there's no sense of when they might happen.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That was a good time. Turtle reminds me of the Matt Smith Doctor. I had the same issue with alt-tabbing, though. Only got back in because a guildmate specifically left so I could.

I mighta called in to work to go to this, lmfao.

And hey, in Turtle's defense, he *did* say the telepathy pass was still on the table. I mean, what kinda answer would anyone expect when asking about SG bases and new zones? When have we ever been given the idea that those are still on the table?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited April 2013
    That was a good time. Turtle reminds me of the Matt Smith Doctor.

I took that to my friends on Facebook last night, and they've decided on "Turtle Who". :biggrin:
  • manwholaughsmanwholaughs Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/b/392301069

A lot of the things players are asking about are just not on the schedule -- the dev team is really heads-down on the story arcs, and trying to keep focused on that so there aren't any delays. Right now, most of these things are on what my boss calls the "emotional to-do list" -- we're emotionally committed to them, but there's no sense of when they might happen.

So lockboxes are what your "boss" likes to call an emotional to-do item, nice!

However an ACTUAL story arc sounds great (the operative phrase being "sounds great"), but when it ends up being a temporary event, which every bit of content concerning a story arc for the past year has been (which is exactly what the game DOES NOT need right now, how's that for a bit of emotional boss-like advice, stick that on your "emotional to-do" list). I mean when even the last anniversary event had to be pulled because it was breaking the game... Well, lockboxes and temporary story arcs should be at the very bottom of your "emotional to-do list".

Pass this along to your boss/bosses, because at least you Turtywurtle seem to actually be making somewhat of an effort to not hurt the game and it's community, and at this point, it is all we really have that seems to be worthy of any sort of praise.