test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

You are interested in this game but don't play -- why?

zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
Just curious.

For my part, I've played the game a lot, so the content is not that fresh. Furthermore, I have this... collapse mode: as my interest dwindles, my justification for a subscription falls. So I unsubscribe and play free. Except the loss of Gold features rapidly destroys my remaining interest.

In the past I've cycled Gold/Silver a bunch of times, but the cycles are getting longer, and may have ceased.

I still follow the game, hoping that development will ramp up at some point (maybe after Neverwinter is successful?), and I'm holding out a very faint hope that Champions gets Foundry at some point (which I want far more than the fixed genre Foundry of STO or NW)

How's about you?
Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
Post edited by zahinder on

Comments

• smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because there aren't many "super hero" MMOs, and of the ones that do exist Champions has a very specific flavor that none of the others has, along with some features and game mechanics that you can't get elsewhere.

It's like if a leprechaun gives you an egg and says "One day, this egg is going to crack open and out will come a magical talking pegasus that will be your friend and go on adventures with you". At first you're around that egg nonstop becasue... well... talking pegasus! After three years, the egg hasn't cracked...so you just kind of put it in a room on a pillow. You don't forget about it, because you know that if that thing ever does crack open it's gonna be SO AWESOME.

Now add a group of leprechauns who are supposed to be making the egg hatch, but for some reason they aren't, and they left you a chauldron that they said you can use to communicate with them but when you yell into it they never respond. Oh and you also know a bunch of other people who also have magic talking pegasus eggs, and you're all just kind of wondering why the egg hasn't hatched.

I just spent a lot more time talking about magical talking pegasus than I did CO.136370401580.gif

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So much potential, so few care.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because stupid.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sorry wrong thread. time to level another alt
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• dinosaurfacedinosaurface Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because the devs very obviously want this game to die
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013

What keeps you following the game/reading the forums?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have nothing else to do, and I must play. :x
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like the game.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some folks like to have an audience for their opinions and complaints.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    So much potential, so few care.

This!

And more sadly and probable, this...

This game has so much potential and there is so little being done with it to the extent where there was a general out cry on the forums. If they put half the effort in here as they did with STO this would be a lot better of a game. Up the visual style and it beats DCUO pretty easily, i've never been big on the overly cartoonish design but DCUO's Character Creator and power set up is horrendous for a Super Hero MMO. It wouldn't really take much effort to be the better game here, but there's just nothing being done here aside from TrailTurtle trying to keep the peace and Maybe a weekend of work for the Sto or NW team to give us the new events that are less than spectacular.

So much wasted potential....
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because I haven't found another mmo where I can play a shark in a mecha suit with lasers.

On a more serious note, it pains me the state of the game, the bugs all over the place and with growing beards since they have been around since forever. So much potential, so little development.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This game should/could/would be the next great SuperMMO after CoX and people can feel it and want it, but... it isn't. And totally for one reason--neglect.

It's CHAMPIONS! The great and hoary Superhero RP IP, and at the start the game was no more of a mess than CoX was at it's start, but the development has been at a glacial pace, and usually badly chosen and executed.

So, many are interested in the game because we can FEEL what the game should and still could be, but don't play because it just isn't. Yet?
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    there are lots of video games out there, im still following co, and pop in every once ina while, but currently im in new vegas. if the devs actually do come back and stuff starts coming back, then ill be here, but till then its time to disintegrate some fools.
  • slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wethree1 wrote: »
    This game should/could/would be the next great SuperMMO after CoX and people can feel it and want it, but... it isn't. And totally for one reason--neglect

you mean the first one anywhere ever? Because CoX wasn't one of the greats by any stretch of the imagination.
    edited April 2013
    So what was the great Superhero MMO before CoX?
  • slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was implying that there never has been a "great" superhero MMO. CoX and CO are okay but as far as MMO's go I wouldn't place either one of them in the pantheon of what I consider "great MMO's". They both sort of win out because they appeal to a niche audience that didn't have any MMORPG's aimed at it.

And right now the only alternative to CO is DCUO which isn't really a very attractive alternative in the least. I love comics and I love super heroes, one might even say I am a super hero fanboy, but I am under no delusions that CO is a spectacular game. I'm sitting here in a Justice League T-Shirt and I think DCUO is a two flush cornlog if that says anything.
    edited April 2013
    Thank gob about the Urban Dictionary....
    edited April 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    So what was the great Superhero MMO before CoX?

Comic book conventions.

edited April 2013
    Toupee.

(It appears that this message was too short.)
  • wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    slumpywpg wrote: »
    I was implying that there never has been a "great" superhero MMO. CoX and CO are okay but as far as MMO's go I wouldn't place either one of them in the pantheon of what I consider "great MMO's". They both sort of win out because they appeal to a niche audience that didn't have any MMORPG's aimed at it.

And right now the only alternative to CO is DCUO which isn't really a very attractive alternative in the least. I love comics and I love super heroes, one might even say I am a super hero fanboy, but I am under no delusions that CO is a spectacular game. I'm sitting here in a Justice League T-Shirt and I think DCUO is a two flush cornlog if that says anything.

You totally ignored that I intentionally wrote "SuperMMO", referring specifically to the niche. I guess I could have written Superhero MMO, but I thought on a Superhero MMO forum that would be obvious.

Within the niche CoX was clearly highly significant as a game, and for many it was a frikkin great game. Your comments about how it fit into a larger MMO market were barely even tangentaly related to what I was saying.

But, I'm a Superhero fanboy too, so I'll forgive you :P
    edited April 2013
    slumpywpg wrote: »

id ague that great mmo is an oxymoron by default. mmos are a genre that demands unreasonable financial commitments to get the full game, especially during the subscription era, but still persisting with the free to play model. have crippled mechanics due to latency and even with current phasing technology, sill no way to meaningfully affect the world( hey i beat therakiel. now lets queue up and beat him again in the exact same circumstances to get more loot). coupled with the tendency to force teaming in a portion of the content, usually the endgame where advancement becomes a tedious treadmill to eke out a little more in subscription fees/ pay bypasses, id say the genre is inherently flawed and if there were a bethesda/obsidian styled superhero single-player game, it would handle the genre far better.

that said, relative to other big mmos, coh had a relatively painless endgame with far less raid repetition for meaningful advancement, enhancements were nowhere near as obnoxious as gear rating arguments and snobbery, customization of characters and power load-outs allowed for real meaningful difference between players of the same archetype, as opposed to having exactly 3 spec trees and lets not even get into how pitiful the appearance customization i in the big name games . and as community goes, coh was generally known as friendly and helpful, and with far less "learn to play" elitism running about. as for co, well, it customization is great as well, with the addition of freefrom power choice you lack the forced roles of the tank/healer/dps many of the bigger games shoehorn you into. I'd actually say that if they had a dev team that was given proper resources, co has the base concepts to be considered great that many "great" mmos simply lack. at least by mmo standards.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ......because I really, really, really, really can't stand the art style. It's that simple.

I can honestly only log in and play for about an hour or two before the way everything looks just....makes me log back out.

And before anyone starts defending the graphics, it's not that. It's the WAY THINGS ARE DRAWN. The only way to "fix" it would be to scrap the entire game's art and redraw everything. Buildings. Cars. (Odeargodcars) Faces. Bodies. Trees. Water. Crates. Roads. EVERYTHING.

The game plays great, with the exception of the longstanding bugs....but looks like something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At least it looks better then NWO

*Insert troll grin here*
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    whats wrong with the current era utes(pickups for you north americans), 50's gas guzzlers, "hey I got hit with a steamroller", lets let a kid design this one, cars?

The traffic jams that looks like a bunch of melted lollies are hilarious.
    Mind you, I'm usually trying to dodge buildings, they keep trying to leap out in front of me.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Honestly? For me, I feel it's because it's the best superhero MMO currently existing.
    Sure, I'll admit, had I tried CoH when it was out, the more serious nature of it might have pulled me towards it more, but I missed the boat on that, and CO is the one I played while dubious about changing ships.

What exactly have we got in alternatives? DC's take, which my laptop physically cannot run with any degree of quality, has limited costume options, and whose story sounds less like anyone wanted to make the game for reasons beyond "DC MMO hasn't happened yet", when there are so many better reasons for an MMO, like wanting to produce and distribute a narrative which can involve multiple people interactively.

Then there's Marvel's one, that I've heard about. Zero customisation, just be spoonfed your characters and just be filling that specific role.

Champs lets you be creative. The costume creator, although not perfect (gender equality would be nice) is better than anything else going.

I'll be the first to admit it: Champs is using an MMO framework based on older ones. The quest system doesn't really fit the superhero concept very well, but it's the best thing we've got in the genre.

Perhaps a better question would be: "If you could start from scratch, with only the Champions tabletop books to start from, what would your superhero MMO be like?"

Edit: wait, the question is "you don't play but are interested"? Huh. That doesn't apply to me then, as I play regularly.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    ......because I really, really, really, really can't stand the art style. It's that simple.

I can honestly only log in and play for about an hour or two before the way everything looks just....makes me log back out.

And before anyone starts defending the graphics, it's not that. It's the WAY THINGS ARE DRAWN. The only way to "fix" it would be to scrap the entire game's art and redraw everything. Buildings. Cars. (Odeargodcars) Faces. Bodies. Trees. Water. Crates. Roads. EVERYTHING.

The game plays great, with the exception of the longstanding bugs....but looks like something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe.

Yeah well maybe Cryptic should feel ashamed for not using drawn on pecs and faces and not using mits for hands.....

All out of wuts with you. Please feel free to reply and I will feel free not to give two sh&ts.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited April 2013
    he said the liked the game but didn't care for the style much in a thread asking you why you dont play co. your response was a tad high on the aggro for that, he didn't say the game was bad or that he was demanding t to change, just that the style of the game didnt appeal to him.
  • vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am interested in the game because I spent two years playing, invested in a lifetime sub, and hundreds of dollars spent in the store. Aside from the financial investment, it has many things which appeal to my very specific interests in an MMO. I like plenty of customization options, a good RP community and a modern day setting.

I don't play anymore, because all of these things I enjoyed immensely in the beginning, I have enjoyed over and over and over. I come back for the little bits of content that drop here and there, but I would not return to the game unless there was a commitment to substantial development and resources invested on the part of Cryptic and PWE.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I thought that i maybe loose interest in GW2 after 3-4 months, however since the release of GW2 it seems here in CO absolutely nothing of interest has happend, that gives me any interest to play the same content for the 100th time. All i see is vehicles, lockboxes, moar vehicles and even moar lockboxes :frown:

Also whenever i logged into the game there never was anyone from my SG online anymore, only maybe on our SG-Meeting date were 2-3 persons on :frown:

I still wait for something new to happen here, but my hopes really have gotten to null.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The primary reason I don't play CO more is build differentiation. There's basically none of it. Zip. Zilch.

You are either a Ranged DPS Tank or a Melee DPS Tank. There's nothing else to be. Healing and support are pointless, since everyone is entirely self-sufficient, and Control is completely nonexistant- the powers that give any sort of crowd control capabilities are so weak as to be useless, and even if they were stronger, anyone you were teaming with would kill enemies before it even matters. Once you've got a Ranged Dude and a Melee Dude both to 40(which has no entertaining endgame content whatsoever, let's be honest here), there's no reason to make another character. All the powersets are too samey, it's not like City of Heroes where a Fire Blaster and an Ice Blaster are inherently different gameplay experiences. Fire and Ice here are basically the same except for the secondary effects they cause, which mean nothing because of how quickly enemies die.

This is something the developers could fix, but they're too busy adding new lockboxes and flubbing long-demanded additions like Vehicles and Auras to worry about making the game itself something that plays well and has dynamic character variety or replayability.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
    edited April 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    he said the liked the game but didn't care for the style much in a thread asking you why you dont play co. your response was a tad high on the aggro for that, he didn't say the game was bad or that he was demanding t to change, just that the style of the game didnt appeal to him.

I suppose, but after the 1200000000000th post by Mr Smiles about how CoX looked better ( and that is what he is saying he's said it enough ) . You lose the will to be nice.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »

It's all right. Nepht can be as terse as she likes. Don't bother me one iota.

And Nepht? With what's out there as far as games go now...I'd rather see CO look more like say.....Saint's Row 3 or perhaps Defiance than CoX. Just more realistic than this plastic barbie and ken game.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited April 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    It's all right. Nepht can be as terse as she likes. Don't bother me one iota.

And Nepht? With what's out there as far as games go now...I'd rather see CO look more like say.....Saint's Row 3 or perhaps Defiance than CoX. Just more realistic than this plastic barbie and ken game.

OK thats more of a good argument no mention of dog poo ( I mean REAAAAAALY eww :/ ) SR3 type graphics is something I could get behind.

Would also like tailors that are more like the clothes shops from Saints Row also might seem like a pain but going into shops and buying your devices and unlocks in shops makes more sense than some random just standing in the street.
  • eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The reason why I very rarely play Champions-Online anymore is because Cryptic-Studios has not (and continues not) to give the game the required attention to make it Champions(tm) (PnP) Online.

Look at the sourcebooks, look at all the tens of thousands of creative posts on the suggestions section of the archived forums - and then look at the game.
    Four years on and there is still: No Shamballah, - No Agharti, - No Ravenswood Academy, - No Arcadia:City of Gold, - No Hudson City, - No Sunday Pond, - No Well of the Worlds, - No Atlantis...No Moonzone, No Unity Spacestation & 'Champions-Beyond' galactic endgame content.

You would think it strange and would not put up with a StarWars:TOR that did not have Tatooine, Hoth, Korriban or Corescant four years into the game's development! - why does Cryptic-Studios think it ok not to develop the Champions-IP properly?.
    Where is the sense of buying an Intellectual Property from Hero Games with thirty-years of history and sourcebook content - telling us all how wonderful Champions-Online is going to be - and then absolutely doing nothing post-2010's Revelation expansion as far as full-content new zones to expand the game-world?.

# 10-minute Alert content.

# Vehicles perverted as a grind/gamble-devices and as an exercise in slottage. Not customisable as RP-centric player vehicles that the community asked for.

# Crafting system butchered (instead of overhauled and improved as promised) but replaced with an inferior system.

# A Nemesis System neglected (and as of latest Ask Cryptic) pretty-much stated as an abandoned game-system.

# Game Initiatives like Adventure packs, Comic-Series abandoned. No clear game development plan for the game.

# Developers and revenue not allocated to the Champions-Online title to enable it to ever have a chance of improving.

# = Not interested in Champions-Online (or any Cryptic-Studios titles) until the game is invested in properly by PWE/Cryptic-Studios.

I don't think there is any doubt why Champions-fans think Champions-Online is total 'failure to launch'. Cryptic-Studios just can't be bothered to put in the effort where it matters because they are too short-sighted to see the potential long-term pay-off and rewards.
    No sympathy anymore to-be-honest I'm afraid, we are now far far from the Atari-Perfect World transition (that was previously used as an explanation for the hold-up in development) - and there is still no long-term strategy and developmental game-plan in-place.
    Fifty people asked the same roundabout question in your latest 'Ask Cryptic' forum thread and you didn't even have the courage (or common decency) to feel you needed to address that. Unbelievable.

As a potential customer who was willing to spend $15 a month if you developed the game properly - Call me when you decide to get serious about Champions-Online.

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Lack of time. I curse the day I started at an engaging and rewarding job and started a family. It's played hell with my time to play games.
    a
  • lohr01lohr01 Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This game is like blue balls.
    Re: CO has no endgame.

If I were to make a wild *** guess: the powers that be have determined that the players who pony up the most $$$ are new players in the 10-30 range.

Cryptic seems to be analyzing the RoI for everything that goes into this game, and every recent addition seems to be about: 1.) squeezing money from the marks; 2.) making the game more approachable; 3.) making a visual impact with a gotta have it! element (vehicles); 4.) reliance on queues to make the newbies feel like part of a community.

I don't think Cryptic's seeing much $$$ from its vets and is, instead, trying to vacuum up as much cash from new players. And, for whatever reason, a lot of players seem to burn out of MMOs shortly before the cap.
  • eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    *snip*
    I don't think Cryptic's seeing much $$$ from its vets and is, instead, trying to vacuum up as much cash from new players....*snip*

And it is unlikely to see anymore $$$ from vets until PWE/Cryptic get off their hands and invest in the game.
    Instead their flawed short-sighted philosophy is (to use an analogy): - to sell all the gas in the petrol-tank, dredge the tank and sell off the dregs, soak up the vapours from the tank with damp cotton wool, squeeze that out and try to sell that - when in reality and all the time the community has been crying out: "for pete's sake's put some gas in the tank!".

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • notburningchicknotburningchick Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And it is unlikely to see anymore $$$ from vets until PWE/Cryptic get off their hands and invest in the game.
    Instead their flawed short-sighted philosophy is (to use an analogy): - to sell all the gas in the petrol-tank, dredge the tank and sell off the dregs, soak up the vapours from the tank with damp cotton wool, squeeze that out and try to sell that - when in reality and all the time the community has been crying out: "for pete's sake's put some gas in the tank!".
    Here's the rub ...

Jack's on record saying that content updates for CO will be free.

That painted Cryptic into a corner.

I'm not going to claim to speak for all vets (far from it), but I will say this ...

I won't buy a vehicle or grind one out. I just don't get the system.

If anyone's seen any costume I've made in CO or CoX, you can understand why I won't buy costume pieces.

Temp powers? If it ain't permanent, I don't want it.

Hideouts? Not much in the way of function.

Content? Like ... super cool stuff? Maybe not real cash, but I have a hoard of cryptibux (errrr, Zen?) that I've never spent I'd blow on new things to do.

Cryptic can't charge for the ONE thing that'd make me cough up my fake online currency.

The short-sightedness of Cryptic is epic in scope.
    edited April 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I suppose, but after the 1200000000000th post by Mr Smiles about how CoX looked better ( and that is what he is saying he's said it enough ) . You lose the will to be nice.

How dare he give his opinion more than once. These forums aren't for people repeatedly stating their opinions...

edited April 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

How dare he give his opinion more than once. These forums aren't for people repeatedly stating their opinions...

Well said not enough people know that mine is the only opinion that matters. What is needed is a power point lecture and a pie chart.

Heres one I made earlier.

COforumpiechart_zpsb0a746d0.jpg
    edited April 2013
    OH YEAH i made a chart too
    89886575.jpg

edited April 2013
    89886575.jpg

Silly Smoo you cant out Pie Chart me I am ONE WITH DA PIE CHARTS \o/ ...

pacmancat-300x228.jpg

.....now erm can you give me a hand my heads sort of stuck :I
  • guardiannexusguardiannexus Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't play much due to not having anything to do with the hero I built. Alts are fine and I have the maximum for a standard lifer but I don't have anything to do. I liked the comic series and I wish there were more things like that in the game. However I have done every mission in CO, just about save for 4 in Canada I think, So I really really have nothing to do.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    89886575.jpg

This has me laughing out loud. Well done.
    biffsig.jpg