test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lost World Beatmistress - is this workable?

laylashadelaylashade Posts: 9 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Builds and Roles
Okay. I think I'm going to get myself a Freeform slot to run a Lost World Beastmistress kind of character. I know I'll have to settle for wolves rather than raptors (even though I have to say that not actually providing customization options on a $50 slot does say something about the company), but I'd like to keep other compromises to a minimum.

I want her to be super agile, like Tarzan, Sheena, Shannah etc., so PSS DEX is a given. I think toughness and then CON secondary really fits the theme well, but I'm undecided about the third superstat. STR would be good for melee, but I suppose REC or INT for energy management will be best?

Obviously a melee char - no modern weapons, no "real" superpowers like energy projection etc. That's why I'd prefer to stay away from Bestial supernatural, too - she's human, not some clawed monster. I'd have gone for Single Balde if there were any decent short blade models (think long knives rather than swords); as is, I decided to settle for unarmed - but that's not a set in stone requirement. Maybe Might? But it seems to suck as powerset...

I obviously want wild beasts, so the two summoning powers are an absolute must. No compromising here - and I do want one as early as possible without ensure I'll die every three seconds.

What I haven't figured out is role - does having pets require Hybrid, or would actually going offensive melee be an option?

Also, uh, where does it tell me how big the energy penalty for pets is? Can I maybe use something more offensive than Commander for specializations, or would not having Multitasker kill me?

Anyways, here's Beastmistress v0.1 by the Powerhouse:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15:

Talents:
Level 1: The Savage
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Survival Training
Level 12: Covert Ops Training
Level 15: Martial Focus
Level 18: Physical Conditioning
Level 21: DEX/whichever is the third superstat

Powers:
Level 1: Vicious Strikes
Level 1: Thundering Kicks (Rank 2, Floating Lotus Blossom)
Level 6: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Form of the Tempest
Level 11: Command Animals (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Thunderbolt Lunge (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
Level 20: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
Level 23: Ritual of Primal Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
Level 26: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Masterful Dodge
Level 32: Intensity
Level 35: Fury of the Dragon (Rank 2, Real Ultimate Power)
Level 38: Rising Knee (Flowing Strikes)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2, Flippin')
Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (1/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
Commander: Evasive Action (2/2)
Commander: Create An Opening (2/2)
Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
Commander: Savage (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)
Post edited by laylashade on

Comments

• Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you make good use of dragon uppercut and the end return you can get from it when combined with a form could go a long way to countering the energy penlties of having the pets out
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So you don't think I have to go with REC or INT to make the character playable? (I just noticed I forgot to mention, it's meant for PvE, if that makes a difference. I don't like PvP much in general and hear it's particularly badly balanced in CO.)

Another thing I was thinking is whether maybe martial arts claws would be a good idea, but I recall they used to be like the red-headed step-child of powersets and always among the worst, if not the worts framework. Has this changed? A beastmistress with claw weapons would sound interesting...
  • Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Savage
    Level 6: Acrobat
    Level 9: Survival Training
    Level 12: Covert Ops Training
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Martial Focus
    Level 21: Quick Recovery

Powers:
    Level 1: Hawk's Talons
    Level 1: Viper's Fangs (Spitting Cobra)
    Level 6: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Form of the Tempest
    Level 11: Thunderbolt Lunge (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 14: Command Animals (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 20: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
    Level 23: Ritual of Primal Summoning (Rank 2, Unbound Ritual)
    Level 26: Dragon's Claws (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Intensity
    Level 35: Fury of the Dragon (Rank 2, Real Ultimate Power)
    Level 38: Arctic Beast (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2, Flippin')
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
    Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (1/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Commander: Evasive Action (2/2)
    Commander: Create An Opening (2/2)
    Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
    Commander: Savage (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Okay I've made a few changes. I added STR as your third Stat. I changed it from Unarmed to Fighting Claws so you can see how that would work out...and I've added some more wolves. That third set of wolves is in the Ice Framework. And I had to shift your lunge and first summon around, because you didn't have enough power picks yet to qualify for the first set of wolves.

And when first Leveling the build, you might want to prioritize getting the lunge at level 6 and picking up the slotted passive at 8. The rest should fall into place more or less as its laid out. And Claws got a mini-review when the Night Avenger AT was being released for the Nighthawk event. And it should function fairly well in either Melee Role or Hybrid role depending on your needs.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    hey, thanks for the suggestion! I thought Arctic Beast used a bear skin for default, but it's another wolf, this is great :)

What I'm wondering now is whether Fury of the Dragon is actually any good, or whether I'd be better off going with something that might help control the battlefield a little (Rising Knee or Inoxerable Tides).

Do my specialization choices really make sense? I have to admit I was fairly unsure about those.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've done some extra browsing thorugh the forums and it looks like almost every melee build uses INT or REC.

Can I really go DEX/CON/STR and pets on top of that without wasting myself on energy issues?

I'm starting to suspect DEX/CON/INT an gearing for some STR and REC might be wisest.

On a completely different note, I saw Vine swinging in the Q store... but it's ridiculously expensive. What's the best free AT to try and Q farm so I can get anywhere near affording a travel power without it taking forever?
  • Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    your third stat would ideally be either STR, INT, or REC. And with the pets, INT would be optimal. but you shouldn't be too gimped if you go without it...however if you take INT, I'd think of maybe making it Primary for the specs which will help your pets out more in the long term...
  • Options
    thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I haven't tried a really pet-heavy build yet, but the way melee sets are right now, taking a pet energy penalty without having an energy secondary superstat will likely make levelling a little frustrating at times (nowhere near as bad as if you were going with Might, but still).

Personally, I think I'd go with INT over REC here, for the added benefit of cooldown reduction. Odds are you'll wind up drawing more aggro than your pets, so being able to tap BCR and active offense/defense more frequently can't hurt.

Just remember to gear for STR a little for the extra melee damage boost.