test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fallout-themed "Pip-Girl" Build

braxzanabraxzana Posts: 215 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Builds and Roles
So on a lark I made a Fallout-themed character modeled loosely after the Pip-Boy cartoon character featured in those games. She's named, appropriately enough, Pip-Girl. :)

I toyed with using Shotguns, Submachine guns and so on but I did not like the idea of swapping out weapons (and I already have characters that use those powers anyway). So I went with the Particle Rifle which lets me keep the same weapon for the energy builder and the 100' range maintained attack.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Pip-Girl

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:

Since the Pulse Beam Rifle benefits from critical hits, and because there's really no other stat that compares to the usefulness of it, I went with DEX primary. Secondary superstats are INT (for energy management and return on Overdrive) and CON (for desperately needed hit points).

Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Marksman
Level 6: Covert Ops Training
Level 9: Acrobat
Level 12: Coordinated
Level 15: Healthy Mind
Level 18: Survival Training
Level 21: Negotiator

Powers:
Level 1: Particle Rifle
Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Finite Improbability Engine)
I'm not sure that the Finite Improbability Engine is worth losing Rank 3 but it's amusing, at least, to see the varied effects it creates.

Level 6: Entangling Mesh (Sapping Solution)
Since my primary attack is single target, this lets me keep foes at range longer. Rooted foes stay rooted the full duration until I attack them and even after they break the root they are snared and I have time to shoot them at range.

Level 8: Overdrive
Molecular Self Assembly may be a better option, but I prefer using my ONE, core, maintained power rather than firing off fast-recharge powers to trigger the energy unlock.

Level 11: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
REALLY not sure about this, but Targeting Computer fits the concept best, with the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.) and all.

Level 14: Form of the Tempest

Since I'll be racking up the critical hits, Form of the Tempest seemed another good way to get some energy and damage increase (yes, I realize it works better for melee and I have no way to trigger the Rush buff). If I find that Targeting Computer makes me too squishy, I may swap Inertial Damping Field in for the Form of the Tempest.

Level 17: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Not my favorite "heal" but the animation has her tapping on the Sci-Fi Device costume piece on her left forearm/bracer where the Pip-Boy is located so it LOOKS neat, anyway.

Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Her right fist has the giant hammer "bracer" and a steampunk hand/glove to simulate a Power Fist from the Fallout games. Haymaker's animation suits that weapon best, I think. Handy to use against melee-range tough foes (and for giggles against weaker ones).

Level 23: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Not exactly Fallout-canon to have droids ~healing~ me but Targeting Computer does NOT instil confidence in my survivability.

Level 26: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Not SURE that this uses the "tapping left bracer" animation to summon it, but I can see the Pip-Boy device hacking into a passive unmanned drone hovering above to trigger a strafing run.

Level 29: Implosion Engine (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Giant bomb you fling out? Yes, please!

Level 32: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Anvil of Dawn)
Again, tapping the left bracer area triggers this power (if memory serves) and like Strafing Run it's a welcome AoE which I otherwise lack.

Level 35: Bolas
Instant-cast (don't HAVE to charge it up) that will hold a foe (very) briefly. Might be useful as an "interrupt" since I have no other way.

Level 38: Tractor Beam (Final Delivery)
The weapon has a giant nuclear logo on the side of it. In practical terms, this is arguably the WORST power in the game. I may ditch it (or Bolos) to get a Block Replacer, which I just realized I'm missing.

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Hover Disk
Level 35: Rocket Jump

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Commander: Evasive Action (2/2)
Commander: Multitasker (3/3)
Commander: Durable (3/3)
Commander: Relief (2/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

The Commander specialization may seem useless since I only have the two support/healing drones... and I may go with some other crit-boosting Spec. Gear will boost the superstats and hopefully have room for some REC/END, too.

Pip-Girl0.jpg
* Unfortunate glow on her face, here :P

Pip-Girl_OnComm.jpg
Pip-Girl_Firing2.jpg
Post edited by braxzana on

Comments

• helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Having been a huge Fallout fan myself, I love the concept, build, and costume. Looks like fun.

My only suggestion would be to consider Quarry if Targeting Computer isn't getting you by as easily as you would like. Your powers and stats are well suited for it.

Also, Dragon Punch in place of Haymaker would trigger your Rush buff and is also thematic for a Power Fist.
  • prankensteinprankenstein Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, if you're not dead-set on tractor or bolas, I'd switch out. Also, I'd go concentration instead of FoTT, but you seem to understand how it's gimping you, so your choice on that.

For block replacer, I'd go either Force Shield+adv or TK Shield +adv
    ~~~The Tidal Tilde Wave of Seperation~~~
    I'd rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it. -Buxom
  • braxzanabraxzana Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dragon Punch WOULD give me the Rush buff... I just was thinking of the exaggerated push forward animation of Haymaker's final delivery, very reminiscent of a Power Fist lunge/punch.

I like Quarry in general, but most of her attacks are energy, which is only like 14% boost or something from Quarry. I haven't actually GOT targeting computer yet (she's just ~9th level or so) so I may be able to tolerate it. Considering the lackluster protection Targeting Computer offers, I may end up swapping FoTT for Inertial Damping Field (in which case, Dragon Punch / Haymaker choice becomes purely cosmetic)...

Force Shield and TK shield are both good shields, but they both animate with BOTH hands holding out an energy shield... I was thinking of either Retaliation or Energy Shield, which both animate with just the left arm holding up to shield (the latter with a hexagonal lattice shield, the former with just a bare arm which is also problematical from a concept point --- the energy lattice I can see offering protection and being generated by the Pip-Boy on that arm, but her BARE arm should not be able to block stuff).

I wish they would have another subtle block replacer, or even a blatant "shield" block replacer --- they have the little buckler-style bracers (which I could not use without losing Pip-Boy device bracer).

Thanks for the replies, folks. She's a fun one, which makes it easier to overlook inefficiencies. :)

EDIT: RE the bolos and tractor... they do suck mightily in terms of efficiency (the latter, in particular)... the Tractor Beam just LOOKS so fitting for her with its nuclear logo and oversized look. :)
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here's my suggestion to do this, based on me recently playing new vegas for the first time:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Vault Boy, my take on braxana's Pip Girl

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Marksman
    Level 6: Shrug It Off
    Level 9: Acrobat
    Level 12: Coordinated
    Level 15: Healthy Mind
    Level 18: Survival Training
    Level 21: Negotiator

Powers:
    Level 1: Particle Rifle
    Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Finite Improbability Engine)
    Level 6: Entangling Mesh (Sapping Solution)
    Level 8: Overdrive
    Level 11: Energy Shield
    Level 14: Concentration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Anvil of Dawn)
    Level 23: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Toxic Nanites (Nerve Damage)
    Level 35: Implosion Engine (Inverse Polarization Field)
    Level 38: Frag Grenade (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Boots
    Level 35: Rocket Jump

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
    Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Can't Touch This (3/3)
    Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
    Avenger: Relentless Assault (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

I kinda want to change Targeting for Quarry with Fair Game for the heal on kill buff, as it's rather generous with constitution as a superstat. But targeting suits the theme.

Toxic Nanites might be breaking theme a bit, but I thought of it as your weapon causing your enemy to gain RAD due to the energy cells being all radioactive and leaky or something. And On-Next-Hit buffs are fun.

And the rest are explosions, grenades. Way I see it, you'll be mainly attacking with the rifle, so your grenades are generally just exploders: stuff to get their attention with.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
    edited April 2013
    Looks good. :)

I generally DON'T get on-next-hit powers or Active Offenses in general because I forget to use them, or I use them and then find out the foe is out of range or I use them and then get knocked back or something. Just more thinking than I want to do, generally. ;)

One nice thing about Champions is that you can get a pretty solid build done by level 17 or so, leaving you with plenty of power choices for "flavor".
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    TK shield uses the basic block pose (left arm up).
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
    edited April 2013
    TK shield uses the basic block pose (left arm up).

Really? I'll have to try that out - I seem to remember it as a wavery pink shield between both outstretched arms, like Force Shield. But it's been a while since I used a character with TK...