test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We oughta get some good Resource sinks going.

keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Suggestions Box
All we really have to spend G on nowadays are costumes, retcons and the Auction House, and the Auction House does very little to sink G's from the game. Also, bags and healing devices I GUESS, but they're a little pointless, especially since buying bags is a one-time thing and we can just heal ourselves with powers.

I'm not saying we should increase the price for manual retcons and costume changes. I'm saying that we should get more things to spend our G's on.

1. Drifter Salvage for G's
OH GOD OUR PROFIT MARGINS. 10 G per 1 salvage? 100 G for 1 salvage? Whatever. Just let us buy Drifter Salvage with monies.
2. Old weapon unlocks
Price them at 50G or 100G or even 200G a pop.
3. More Bank slots
200 G, 300 G, 400 G, etc. etc. etc. up to 1000 G for ALL THE BANK SLOTS.
4. Sell old lockboxes at a vendor for 10 G a piece.

And that's all I got right now.
Post edited by keikomyst on

Comments

• Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The entire problem with the whole thing ( and let me be clear, I like and am in favor of your suggestions ) is that players farming and spending resources doesn't make the company any money.

Players buying keys with money to open lockboxes to get salvage makes them money.
    Players selling questionite for zen, which was purchased with money, to open lockboxes to get salvage makes them money.

Selling salvage for resources instantly loses them all that money that the pvpers are spending to get those legacy devices, as well as the money that people who like vehicles are spending to get those cool salvage vehicles.

By weapon unlocks I'm guessing you mean the weapon costume options? Yeah, I have this terrible feeling that we're never seeing another new ( or returning ) costume option unless it comes from a lockbox.

You can buy more bank slots with Zen.. so again, they lose money if they let you get them with resources.

And selling lockboxes for resources... well, that wouldn't lose them any money... but that's also not a resource sink. Plus it seems they got the message and somewhat reduced the drop rate for lockboxes anyways...

Also, I can barely keep my resources in the triple digits, and you want to stretch resources even thinner? I already gotta farm questionite... I don't wanna farm resources too :frown:

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can barely keep my resources in the triple digits as well, and I'm mostly only using them to do retcons or buy crap off the AH. Something else to spend G's on wouuuuuuld be nice, and those are the only things I can think of that'd be nice to sell for G's.

by the way, Silver people? Sub for a month and buy your Bank Slots with resources. You spend less RL money that way.
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    The entire problem with the whole thing ( and let me be clear, I like and am in favor of your suggestions ) is that players farming and spending resources doesn't make the company any money.

Players buying keys with money to open lockboxes to get salvage makes them money.
    Players selling questionite for zen, which was purchased with money, to open lockboxes to get salvage makes them money.

Selling salvage for resources instantly loses them all that money that the pvpers are spending to get those legacy devices, as well as the money that people who like vehicles are spending to get those cool salvage vehicles.

By weapon unlocks I'm guessing you mean the weapon costume options? Yeah, I have this terrible feeling that we're never seeing another new ( or returning ) costume option unless it comes from a lockbox.

You can buy more bank slots with Zen.. so again, they lose money if they let you get them with resources.

And selling lockboxes for resources... well, that wouldn't lose them any money... but that's also not a resource sink. Plus it seems they got the message and somewhat reduced the drop rate for lockboxes anyways...

Also, I can barely keep my resources in the triple digits, and you want to stretch resources even thinner? I already gotta farm questionite... I don't wanna farm resources too :frown:

Congratulations you have just solved the issues you pointed out

along with all the OPs suggestion impliment a zen to gold exchange rate maybe 1zen = 50G or somthing that way once people burn there way thrugh there gold reserves purchasing all the new resource priced goodies they can then top up there gold by converting purchased zen into resources.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Congratulations you have just solved the issues you pointed out

along with all the OPs suggestion impliment a zen to gold exchange rate maybe 1zen = 50G or somthing that way once people burn there way thrugh there gold reserves purchasing all the new resource priced goodies they can then top up there gold by converting purchased zen into resources.

And proceed to watch the market, quite literally, explode due to the sudden loss of G value?

Yeah, not really a good idea, especially when the economy already is unstable.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it would just be easier to allow Silver players to raise the Resource limit for 500 Zen, as can already be done in STO. That would revitalize the Auction House, and make money for the company.
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well here's a simple solution:

1. Charge Silver players a 1-time fee in resources, based upon their character's level, to change their power colors right then and there. They can pay per-power or for all powers, and they get 1 color choice per purchase.

2. Have an "unbinding fee" to unbind an item. There would, of course, have to be some limitation to this - like if items are meant to be bound from the start, then they wouldn't be able to have this function performed on them.

3. Have lesser version of the Alert buffs available for a resource cost - for instance, you could buy a 10% XP boost, (that'd stack w/ the Smash Alert buff), for an amount that's reasonable and scales w/ character level.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    amarillonmcamarillonmc Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »

3. Have lesser version of the Alert buffs available for a resource cost - for instance, you could buy a 10% XP boost, (that'd stack w/ the Smash Alert buff), for an amount that's reasonable and scales w/ character level.

look around on AH, there are lots of them, they come from lockboxes.

One day I bought a large sum of boosts with around 60G. Ask around and people would probably have them eager for selling.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...the ultimate Contrast Moe (or not).
  • Options
    prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    2. Have an "unbinding fee" to unbind an item. There would, of course, have to be some limitation to this - like if items are meant to be bound from the start, then they wouldn't be able to have this function performed on them.

I'd add a extra condition to this - no unbinding of limited use items with less than the maximum number of uses.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Lets extend this list with more suggestions.

4. Convert Global to Recognition
    This will give a broader access to those mod packs in those Recog stores.

5. Add a vendor that sells Experience
    Characters can use their Globals to buy out experience in RenCen. Also there's an option at the end of collecting a mission to convert experience gain into Resources instead.

There's two functions to this that benefit all character levels. You can level faster through content to somewhat keep up with Smash Alert leveling. Max level characters can decide to get money rather than useless experience that disappears.
    No need to program the XP Gifting function when you can just give Globals to players to buy levels.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Simple fix to several problems.

Keep Alert XP as it is, perhaps even boost it a bit. But charge globals to enter. And charge double if it fails.
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And proceed to watch the market, quite literally, explode due to the sudden loss of G value?

Yeah, not really a good idea, especially when the economy already is unstable.

Dose gold really have a value at the moment?

also if that gold was then being used to purchase something like drifter salvage at say a rate of 10G per 1 salvage its going to take a lot of gold to get a decent amount of salvage. If they did it maybe as 100Zen = 10g = 1ds that would serve to drain some of the excess gold floating around out the market but also open up the possibility to make money from the players purchasing Zen to convert to Gold.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The funny thing about money sinks in MMOs is that they can actually cause the amount of cash in circulation to INCREASE.

If you add highly desirable items that are available for in-game money, people start hoarding and farming cash to get the items. Once they've got it, they KEEP building up cash, so they can afford the next thing.

Inflation is impossible to combat in a world where everyone has a printing press to crank out alk the money they want. And that describes every MMO I've ever played.
    edited April 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Keep Alert XP as it is, perhaps even boost it a bit. But charge globals to enter. And charge double if it fails.

What? People have no control over who they get queued with, so you can't actually go punish them for fails.

I queued the Mind I'm running atm for an Alert yesterday, and at level 8, she was the third-highest character in the group. You can imagine how that went - but that wasn't the fault of the two level 20-somethings, who would've cleared the alert with another char their level (or may even if I had had a Radiant, which unlike another alleged support AT seems to get a Heal by level 8).
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    laylashade wrote: »
    What? People have no control over who they get queued with, so you can't actually go punish them for fails.

I queued the Mind I'm running atm for an Alert yesterday, and at level 8, she was the third-highest character in the group. You can imagine how that went - but that wasn't the fault of the two level 20-somethings, who would've cleared the alert with another char their level (or may even if I had had a Radiant, which unlike another alleged support AT seems to get a Heal by level 8).

Well, the point is with a cash entry. Lower levels will be discouraged from running alerts. Either they are really newbies and wont have the cash to sink into them a lot without supplementing their grind with real missions. Or they are alts being bank rolled by higher level characters, with the assumption being such players would be typically more skilled and savvy then your average fresh noob.

And with a failure penalty its a minor way to discourage leeching and quitting out. The idea being if you want to grind on easy street youll have a small toll to deal with. If you want to grind risk free there is always the alert free way.
  • Options
    thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That sounds reasonable... until you take into acoount that in their infinte lack of anything that could, with a lot of goodwill and turning blind eyes, be mistaken for even a smidgeon of a semblance of something vaguely akin to wisdom, Craptic went and killed dead alternate levelling paths at low levels.

If you discourage people from using Alerts as an alternative to doing the annoying Westside arc for the umptillionth time, you discourage them from playing new toons at all.

(And don't even get me started on how Craptic, in another show of heir infinte lack of anything that could, with a lot of goodwill and turning blind eyes, be mistaken for even a smidgeon of a semblance of something vaguely akin to wisdom, also saw fit to assign one of the two level 15 crisis zones over the other, giving you insufficient choice there, too.)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    thearkady wrote: »

If you discourage people from using Alerts as an alternative to doing the annoying Westside arc for the umptillionth time, you discourage them from playing new toons at all.

So the difference between doing umptillionth alerts. Is different from doing umptillionth westside arcs, exactly how?

Repetition is repetition, however you want to color it. Right now alerts offer so much more too gain that running normal missions almost feels like short changing yourself. I don't think that adding a toll to alerts is a penalty as much as it brings them into parallel with everything else. There-by actually increasing diversity, instead of pretending options exist in the face of completely unbalanced choices.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    So the difference between doing umptillionth alerts. Is different from doing umptillionth westside arcs, exactly how?

Repetition is repetition, however you want to color it. Right now alerts offer so much more too gain that running normal missions almost feels like short changing yourself. I don't think that adding a toll to alerts is a penalty as much as it brings them into parallel with everything else. There-by actually increasing diversity, instead of pretending options exist in the face of completely unbalanced choices.

I thought this thread was about resource dumps, why are you talking yet again about how to gate people out of smash alerts?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

I thought this thread was about resource dumps, why are you talking yet again about how to gate people out of smash alerts?

Yet again? Do you know something about my posting history that I don't? Ive not really been vocal about alerts, for or against, at all. Truth be told, i'm not really vocal about much of anything.

As far as the rest, the suggestion was for a resource sink. The idea seemed a simple fix to several well talked about complaints...beyond just resources. Regardless, it was just a suggestion. I honestly see no need to take it personally.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maybe a modular hideout option could work with resources.
    Like, rather than getting the entire hideout as we currently do, our hideouts come in a series of stages, bought with Resources or Zen (include the option for profit, but keep the free option at absurdly high prices).
    Of course, this would take time.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vorshoth, that gives me an idea - a shared account bank, which requires a pretty significant initial investment, (say like 200G for 10 slots), then costs like 25G per character to access it, (sort of like the shared storage from Guild wars 1.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    3. More Bank slots
    200 G, 300 G, 400 G, etc. etc. etc. up to 1000 G for ALL THE BANK SLOTS.

For what more bank slots ? After On Alert i didn't even used 1 bankslot anymore. Before of course everything was packed with crafting materials and Elite Blues from Freon Runs, but now i only pack R4 and R5 Mods in my shared bank (that i've upgrade after On Alert) and thats it.
    R607qMf.jpg