test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maintenance 4/4 [Complete]

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited April 2013 in Super News Network
Maintenance tomorrow, Thursday 4/4, won't be an update, just a server restart. That being said, there's going to be a secondary maintenance on the network infrastructure at the same time, so maintenance will go long.

Expect maintenance to begin at 7 AM PST and end at around 10 AM PST, but it could be a little later.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks traiturtle for the news, I am sorry to ask this but when will be getting an update with the forum malvanum or something new like a costume or an archetype?
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • psychickittypsychickitty Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Second after a redname Post..=^_^=

Hey isn't this supposed to be locked?!?

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2013
    criswolf09 wrote: »
    Thanks traiturtle for the news, I am sorry to ask this but when will be getting an update with the forum malvanum or something new like a costume or an archetype?

I can't discuss things ahead of time, but definitely stay tuned!
  • idvinoyaidvinoya Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is the maintenance the reason why our launchers keep on failing to launch? Thanks in advance.
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is there a reason it always tells us to check the forums to learn it's only a server restart and basic maintenance? It just seems like the length of text it takes to tell people to check the forum to find out what's going on could be better phrased to say "Server restart/basic maintenance. Nothing new here"

Or unless they're going to give us a detailed list of the maintenance processes, i don't see the point of it being on the forum.

Unless there's like a hundred thigns to discuss about about a server restart?
    edited April 2013
    skcark wrote: »
    Is there a reason it always tells us to check the forums to learn it's only a server restart and basic maintenance? It just seems like the length of text it takes to tell people to check the forum to find out what's going on could be better phrased to say "Server restart/basic maintenance. Nothing new here"

Or unless they're going to give us a detailed list of the maintenance processes, i don't see the point of it being on the forum.

Unless there's like a hundred thigns to discuss about about a server restart?

That text is templatized, the engineers set it so we tend to keep it simple.
  • gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That text is templatized, the engineers set it so we tend to keep it simple.
    Good job. It can't be possible to do more simple than that for Cryptic.
    Maintenance tomorrow, Thursday 4/4, won't be an update, just a server restart.
    Lol.
  • sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maintenance window was just bumped up to 1 PM PDT due to the work on the network stuff according to the STO community representative.
    edited April 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    Maintenance window was just bumped up to 1 PM PDT due to the work on the network stuff according to the STO community representative.

Yeah, maintenance is going longer -- some of the servers aren't playing well with the maintenance. Hopefully this gets resolved soon, but it could be a while.

The good news is that I did get some clarification on what this maintenance will help with. It'll reduce latency and connection issues, so it'll help reduce jitters (and rubberbanding, if I understand it correctly).

EDIT: New estimated end time is 2PM. Thanks for your patience, folks.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, this really sucks. Eh...
  • joltrabbitjoltrabbit Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, 2 pm is only 21 minutes away so it won't be that ba... (remembers I'm EST) ARGH!

@Rejolt when you see me in game. Forum member since late 2008, beta tester and LTS.

Still trying to make a Might/Electric toon that gets something out of Shockwave (darn you Stormbringer for not boosting Sonic damage!).
  • mrinfinitummrinfinitum Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yup, realize just like the other before me...darn I AM E.S.T. ARGHHH! :eek:
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, maintenance is going longer -- some of the servers aren't playing well with the maintenance. Hopefully this gets resolved soon, but it could be a while.

The good news is that I did get some clarification on what this maintenance will help with. It'll reduce latency and connection issues, so it'll help reduce jitters (and rubberbanding, if I understand it correctly).

Tell them to stop using a Microsoft countdown timer!

You have 3 years left!
    You have 15 minutes left!
    You have 5 hours left!
    You have 30 minutes left!
    You have...DON'T YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO THAN WATCH ME?
  • aknamaknam Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I find this worth the wait if this really reduces lag issues and such. Keep on the good work!
  • scarletsapphirescarletsapphire Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    any newson when it will be up....mines stuck at the update launcher
  • tiedyedninjatiedyedninja Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Out of curiosity, what went wrong? Since I started playing MMOs it's always confused me how they can take several hours longer than expected for something as simple as maintenance. I could have built a dozen computers from scratch in 3 hours. Give me another couple of hours and they'd all be overclocked, liquid cooled and have basic software installed. Either what they're doing goes way, way beyond maintenance or someone replaced the thermal paste with peanut butter as a practical joke and the whole rack spontaneously combusted. Based on that logic and the fact that you said this would somehow help with lag I really doubt what they're doing is really maintenance. What on Earth are they actually doing? Moving to a new datacenter? Extensive hardware upgrades? Programming updates to the software themselves?
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you promised game

where is the game

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pallihwtf wrote: »
    you Promised Game

Where Is The Game

2pm Pst = 5pm Est
    2pm Pst = 4pm Cst
    2pm Pst = 3pm Mst

Looking at my clock it's 1:10 PM CST.
  • salamander007salamander007 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yay! I can finnaly launch CO, but the server is down ..
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wherez ma game ? I needs to go in rencen and say in zone that there's nothing to do !
    thCOMEDY.gif

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Good thing I already have a busy day for me before I could get on CO. Otherwise I'd be attempting a loggin every 5 minutes until servers are up :biggrin:

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
    edited April 2013
    Out of curiosity, what went wrong? Since I started playing MMOs it's always confused me how they can take several hours longer than expected for something as simple as maintenance. I could have built a dozen computers from scratch in 3 hours. Give me another couple of hours and they'd all be overclocked, liquid cooled and have basic software installed. Either what they're doing goes way, way beyond maintenance or someone replaced the thermal paste with peanut butter as a practical joke and the whole rack spontaneously combusted. Based on that logic and the fact that you said this would somehow help with lag I really doubt what they're doing is really maintenance. What on Earth are they actually doing? Moving to a new datacenter? Extensive hardware upgrades? Programming updates to the software themselves?

I can't talk too much about this, but my guess/understanding is that they were restarting the servers with a slightly different set of network parameters. When they booted back up, the parameters didn't play well, so they had to investigate and debug that.

(That's my guess, at least.)

Also, we're getting closer to everything being solved. If I understand the emails I'm getting correctly, we're finished with the network portion, and now it's just a normal server restart. If all goes well, we're maybe an hour away.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    *offers a pina colada to the hamsters* They need a vacation once in awhile.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • pharmacopharmaco Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Waiting with baited breath.
  • tiedyedninjatiedyedninja Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can't talk too much about this, but my guess/understanding is that they were restarting the servers with a slightly different set of network parameters. When they booted back up, the parameters didn't play well, so they had to investigate and debug that.

(That's my guess, at least.)

Also, we're getting closer to everything being solved. If I understand the emails I'm getting correctly, we're finished with the network portion, and now it's just a normal server restart. If all goes well, we're maybe an hour away.
    My solution would have been to change the settings back to what they were and worry about it after the server was back up. I'm an amateur web developer though and I never made anything popular enough that it couldn't be hosted on a VPS. My only other experience with servers is hosting a MUD and an FPS server from home on an old gaming computer I wasn't using anymore. Obviously I'm not a big expert so there's probably something going on that I don't understand. Thanks for giving a vague answer at least. I'm usually completely ignored when I ask something like that to other game companies, so it's a better answer than I expected.
    pharmaco wrote: »
    Waiting with baited breath.
    Stop eating the worms yourself or you'll never catch any fish! It'll probably gross out your girlfriend less if you wait with bated breath instead.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think you meant this for that other thread, Hyper. And I never understood why the acronym for Age of Conan (which was used in reference to a player with the same initials) gets censored on both this and the old CoH boards. Is the hate for potential competition really that strong?

Edit: That's gonna sound real weird with the post I was replying to gone now. Thanks a lot! :P
    Maintenance is complete, thanks for your patience everyone!
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Was just playing the game, had to quit due to experiencing massive lag spikes, meaning more than 2 mins of screen freezing and game becoming unresponsive, or intermittent freezes of 20-30s before jumping a frame and freezing again.

My connection had always been good, first time having such bad lag issues though.
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Okay, this is just pissing me off now. If cryptic really must insist on being lazy and using a stupid "maintenance" template telling people to check the forums for information on the maintenance just say "just a server restart" They could at least post an up-to-date launcher exe.

I shouldn't have to ask other players to give me the vital game files to play. it should bloody well be done by YOU Cryptic.

At least then the thread will have some purpose to it.

I can't even play right now because your stupid launcher ain't launching without that file.