test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cosmics as 10-man Instances or Open Missions?

sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
(I apologize if this has been suggested before, since I do not frequent the forums as much as I used to a year or so ago.)

The current implementation of Cosmics has the main issue that most people never even see them, due to them being farmed (not blaming the players, it's just the state of things). There's also an issue of them being easily curbstomped by enough players when they do appear, since they've never been rebalanced with various changes that happened to powers. So, essentially, they're as much a joke as Vikorin for most part.

The whole cosmic battle thing is salvageable, but it requires effort and time. I just wanted to share two ideas:

Make them 10-man Rampages like Gravitar:
  • You will have a controlled environment you can balance the fight around (10x level 40 players);
  • You can re-purpose existing locations (think how "A Day at the Mall" is essentially an existing map with borders set around it);
  • You can make the fights readily available.

Or...

Make them Open Missions:
  • Like Destroids Rise Again, you can put various objectives that need to be completed before the big fight starts;
  • You can make anyone join the fight easily;
  • Cosmic battles still retain some sort of rarity, since you can put a reasonable cooldown on them (like 2 hours per instance);
  • Using Skull Difficulty tech makes everyone feel like they're contributing.

I somehow feel the first suggestion is more feasible, but I lack the insider knowledge to know for sure. It just seems like the resources are for most part there, and if you making this rotate-able Rampages, you can essentially have people on PTS test it for a week or two per Cosmic fight (like you did with the Harbinger fight). It just seems low effort compared to the return if pulled off right.
Post edited by sekimen on

Comments

• Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like these suggestions and more in favor of the second one...in fact I'd like to see the skull difficulty tech applied everywhere so you CAN'T outlevel content anymore... I really... really hate outleveling content.
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    People (me included) recieved a lot of hate for farming the cosmics, when WE were the ones opening up topics exactly like this one.

People trolled and shot it down...i dont know why. Someone even said "i farm the cosmics all the time" when at that time we were there at every spawn and knew exactly who was and wasnt there...the guy lied basically, and wasnt ever there...how decieving.

I do hope cosmics get instanced for everyone, we always have supported this.

I just hope that people have changed from then..and today they will get there fingers out there a$$es and make a good decision instead of shoot down what is frankly us trying to help them...not take anything away.

EVERYONE should be able to play the cosmics...not just a couple of people in the whole world.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    People (me included) recieved a lot of hate for farming the cosmics, when WE were the ones opening up topics exactly like this one.

People trolled and shot it down...i dont know why. Someone even said "i farm the cosmics all the time" when at that time we were there at every spawn and knew exactly who was and wasnt there...the guy lied basically, and wasnt ever there...how decieving.

I do hope cosmics get instanced for everyone, we always have supported this.

I just hope that people have changed from then..and today they will get there fingers out there a$$es and make a good decision instead of shoot down what is frankly us trying to help them...not take anything away.

EVERYONE should be able to play the cosmics...not just a couple of people in the whole world.

I am sad that Cosmics are farmed, but it's not an exploit like, say, how Imbue didn't consume conviction. It's just a design flaw. It's working as intended, but it's just bad. (And I'd like to note that when I complained about this a year or so ago, I was invited by the people who regularly farmed cosmics to join in.)
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have always wants some of the cosmics drops, but I don't blame the farmers. I prefer instancing over open mission. In addition, they could make a good prelude to the actual fight to make then into a custom alert.
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sounds good to me.
    SQUIRREL!
  • Options
    isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Another big problem with the cosmics is that they have not kept up with the gear/power inflation over the years. There are multiple archetypes capable of soloing teleiosaurus, and qwyjibo and kigatilik are even easier to defeat. Gravitar is significantly more challenging.

I'd like to see the world cosmics in rampage alerts as Sekimen suggests, but as part of that they need a tune up to provide a substantial match for today's players.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    isometry wrote: »
    Another big problem with the cosmics is that they have not kept up with the gear/power inflation over the years. There are multiple archetypes capable of soloing teleiosaurus, and qwyjibo and kigatilik are even easier to defeat. Gravitar is significantly more challenging.

I'd like to see the world cosmics in rampage alerts as Sekimen suggests, but as part of that they need a tune up to provide a substantial match for today's players.

Hence my suggestion to take advantage of PTS people to test it, since the Harbinger testing went well IMO.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, that has been suggested more than once i think, and i also was always in favour of making them to an Open Mission.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm down with this idea.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • Options
    s3rjus3rju Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    the cosmics are a design flaw in a way too, the timers for 3 of them (kiga, telios, qwijibo) are too long. so aside from them being farmed, a perfectly fine thing on it's own... the timers are the biggest factor to why they're never around.

making the area each of the cosmics are in, into an instance or even a rampage alert is a great idea... hopefully the devs will take a look into that so they can focus on other things.

My build directory (work in progress)
    Guide list
    Freeform Builds

In loving memory of AngelofCaine.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Bear this is a most epic idea.

/signed..

Also HISSS cause you look a like a dog >:C

cat_hiss.jpg

Sorry its sort of a reflex action :I
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm in favor of this proposal also.
  • Options
    flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well i think its a very interesting idea...but we are in Champions online so...you must add a Lockbox to it:

for Example:

This "Cosmic Rampages" should drop a lockbox at the end Containing costume pieces/Action figures/devices,etc related to the Cosmic oponent.

Or

Make this Cosmic Rampages require some sort of Pass or ticket to enter...the Ticket will, obviously, be inside a Lockbox

and that way we all win

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I proposed this idea a while back..

I could probably find the post..

Yea, there it is.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    /Signed and wish for Qwyjibo Action Figure back. It's gone since after Alerts patch applied. :(
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    flechus wrote: »
    Well i think its a very interesting idea...but we are in Champions online so...you must add a Lockbox to it:

And don't forget the Vehicles. Maybe they should turn the Cosmics into Death Stars or Cylone Motherships that only can be attackes with our new X-Wings or Colonial Vipers :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    And don't forget the Vehicles. Maybe they should turn the Cosmics into Death Stars or Cylone Motherships that only can be attackes with our new X-Wings or Colonial Vipers :wink:

That... would actually be cool.

Sadly, unlikely to happen.
    SQUIRREL!