test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The General Guide to Costuming

bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
edited May 2019 in Costumes and Concepts
This guide is removed because the sorting on the character-select page was not adjusted in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Q-FAXhtbo

I cannot edit it back into this post because the max-character limit of this forum is not enough to contain the old OP.

RIP.
How to block a user with μblock:
forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))
Post edited by bluhman on

Comments

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2019

edited May 2019
    guide will be restored once the character-select screen is fixed for large-character rosters.

Probably not here because I don't think the posts will fit in here anymore if I attempt to edit them back in. Maybe steam. Shrug.

Or maybe the moderators can just undo my edits with their magic or something I dunno.

edited May 2019
    feel free to unsticky this.

edited May 2019
    ---

• fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This guide is quite awesome and I learned something already.

What did I learn? There's a measuring tape in RenCen.

10/10 Would read again.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Good start to the guide. Great info there.

May I add to the Save and Load section: in the creator you can save the name of the costume as Alt_Costume 1 or Alt-Costume 2, and it will load as Handle_Alt_Costume 1. When naming your costume in the tailor, it will only save the file as Handle_Alt, it won't add the costume name. That costume name is ingame reference info only.

I use the Champions Online Costume Renaming Tool to rename the files to fit my personal naming system, and is a more legible list when loading costume files.

Costume_Naming.jpg
    edited January 2013
    leihngwei wrote: »
    Good start to the guide. Great info there.

May I add to the Save and Load section: in the creator you can save the name of the costume as Alt_Costume 1 or Alt-Costume 2, and it will load as Handle_Alt_Costume 1. When naming your costume in the tailor, it will only save the file as Handle_Alt, it won't add the costume name. That costume name is ingame reference info only.

I use the Champions Online Costume Renaming Tool to rename the files to fit my personal naming system, and is a more legible list when loading costume files.

Good advice! I shall note and add this to the guide.

• dhalgrimdhalgrim Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    this right here is/will be pure gold
  • tomaantomaan Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Why is this not stickied???

(ok, so maybe it's less than a day old, but that's not important right now)
  • cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As soon as its finished, def gonna be pestering a certain turtle about sticking this =p.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
    edited January 2013
    O.K! I think this is mostly finished - the meat of the guide, the posts where I rant about a crapton of stuff that people probably won't read, are complete. As for the final tricks part, that will be undergoing consistent updates as I think of/discover more cool and crazy things to do with the game's costume creator!

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hee, awfully specific and detailed for a "General" guide, but great work. I won't say I agree with everything here (the oft repeated around "your hand is almost as big as your face" always baffles me and makes me wonder if most people have huge hands or tiny faces), but it's mostly stylistic choices and not worth arguing about.

A lot of work here, and well done.

**applauds**
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Another fascinating read; great job, Bluh! Interested to see what else ends up in the "tricks" section...
    I won't say I agree with everything here (the oft repeated around "your hand is almost as big as your face" always baffles me and makes me wonder if most people have huge hands or tiny faces), but it's mostly stylistic choices and not worth arguing about.

I dunno... If I put the heel of my hand on the point of my chin, my middle fingertip touches my hairline; if I splay my fingers, the tips of my thumb and pinky hit the edges of my 'face', touching just at the edge of my sideburns. So while my hand obviously isn't as "big" as my face (by area), it's a pretty good benchmark for LxW.

So now I'm wondering if you've got a huge face or tiny hands. :biggrin:
    edited January 2013
    Well, the tip of my middle finger comes just about the center of my forehead, but why would you "splay your fingers"? That's not a way to measure area, there's too much empty space involved.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, the tip of my middle finger comes just about the center of my forehead, but why would you "splay your fingers"? That's not a way to measure area, there's too much empty space involved.

Probably because 90% of the time you see a hand, all of the fingers aren't all together, so making a karate-chop hand would be a weird way to gauge a ballpark or rule-of-thumb measurement.

I don't think anyone claims that a hand and a face have the same area, but they're about the same "size"... like if you had a wicker basket that was big enough to hold a soccer ball, you'd say they're comparable in size, and ignore the fact that the basket has a ton of holes in it.
    edited January 2013
    See, I'm guessing that's why I get confused when I see that...different forms of measurement.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Nice guide, man. And some interesting tips like that eye shine thing and the black holograms.

Something you might want to add to the bugs:

Colouring arm/leg accessories separately often doesn't work properly on one side or the other, with colour choices failing to take or the colour changes affecting completely different costume pieces entirely.

The workaround is to colour both sides simultaneously to get the right colours onto the glitching side, then colour the working side separately.
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    oniganon wrote: »
    Nice guide, man. And some interesting tips like that eye shine thing and the black holograms.

Colouring arm/leg accessories separately often doesn't work properly on one side or the other, with colour choices failing to take or the colour changes affecting completely different costume pieces entirely.

The workaround is to colour both sides simultaneously to get the right colours onto the glitching side, then colour the working side separately.

Weird, I've never seen an issue with the colors not applying properly once chosen. When hovering over the color palette while coloring JUST the left or right side, the previews appear on the opposite side (or a different costume piece entirely) until you click on the color. Then it's always applied it properly for me.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
    edited January 2013
    oniganon wrote: »

Ah! I was aware of the problems on this, but forgot to note them completely. Thank you!

Also throwing in some more tricks as we speak.

• mashuganamashugana Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I love artists who not only understand structure and color but can explain it to people as dense as myself. Thank you!!
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes, this is an awesome guide. There's some tricks I may or may not have to look into. (Especially the measuring tape thing.)
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • zebellezebelle Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    fantastic guide, bluhman! :smile:

this should absolutely be stickied.

@Zebel

60% of the time, it works every time...since August 2009.
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I've added some tips for High-heel shoe height consistency and custom beast heads.

FFS somebody sticky this so I don't need to keep bumping it.

• zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree that this has a lot of useful info and would be good for it to be stickied.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • honkhillhonkhill Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh, glad to see this finally got stickied. This guide has made me spend quite a bit of time at the costuime creator!

I had a few questions regarding some points in the guide. First, would you consider a creature (worm, brain) that uses a robotic suit with a bubble helmet under 'emphasizing'? Would your character Think Tank be under this category, or is there a different method of designing such critters?

On that note, would you use metal armor parts over a metal robot body (robotic legs, arms, etc.) or make the outer armor portions matte? Since matte can mean plastic or even ceramic pieces.
    Catch me as '@Rotundo' in game
    edited March 2013
    honkhill wrote: »
    Oh, glad to see this finally got stickied. This guide has made me spend quite a bit of time at the costuime creator!

I had a few questions regarding some points in the guide. First, would you consider a creature (worm, brain) that uses a robotic suit with a bubble helmet under 'emphasizing'? Would your character Think Tank be under this category, or is there a different method of designing such critters?
    Depends on how much you want to emphasize the presence of a brain/worm dome. You could make the decision to make said dome very large and stand out compared to smooth plating on the body, or could bulk the body's shape up to draw attention away from it.

On that note, would you use metal armor parts over a metal robot body (robotic legs, arms, etc.) or make the outer armor portions matte? Since matte can mean plastic or even ceramic pieces.
    If anything, I usually do the opposite; metal armor over a leather/matte base, as making the base body a less shiny material serves to drive more of a viewer's attention to the overlying plates. Really, the thing I did in the tech sample section is a bit unorthodox.

Thanks, glad I can offer some inspiration to you!

• chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I know you mentioned the Nighthawk pieces can be "glitched" to make "invisible arms" and such, and I personally have seen something similar on a character that apparently managed to get it done with the Ancient Armor parts, though I'm not certain how... are there any others like this?
    edited March 2013
    I know you mentioned the Nighthawk pieces can be "glitched" to make "invisible arms" and such, and I personally have seen something similar on a character that apparently managed to get it done with the Ancient Armor parts, though I'm not certain how... are there any others like this?

Check the "jackets" category. Unless they fixed these, Dragon Armor, Ancient Armor, and Nighthawk Armor should still be options there - allowing for invisible arms.

• chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Check the "jackets" category. Unless they fixed these, Dragon Armor, Ancient Armor, and Nighthawk Armor should still be options there - allowing for invisible arms.

Now if only we could figure out how you did that one costume of -N-'s with the invisible-bubble floating brain...
  • honkhillhonkhill Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ONE MORRRE THING. I find my toughest character type to design is a magic/mystic hero. If I want to make a mystical hero for the modern era, that visually still says 'magic user' (and not just ordinary clothing) what parts and colors might I look to start with for inspiration?
    Catch me as '@Rotundo' in game
    edited March 2013
    honkhill wrote: »
    ONE MORRRE THING. I find my toughest character type to design is a magic/mystic hero. If I want to make a mystical hero for the modern era, that visually still says 'magic user' (and not just ordinary clothing) what parts and colors might I look to start with for inspiration?

A good question. I'd suggest something to this sort for general part choices:
    • Skirt/Robe on lower body.
    • Coats or full shirt
    • Hat, collar, hood, or nothing for the head?

Other things to look out for:
    • If you don't have the mage costume set, I'd highly recommend getting it; it seems to be right up your alley for what you're attempting to do here.
    • What seems to be the aim here is to combine modern/street clothing styles with a bit of mystical implements. That said, I'd gravitate towards using looser-fitting stuff. A cape is almost certain to be featured somewhere on the outfit, while the general flavor of parts you'll want to seek out are loose-fitting cloth items, such as full shirts, vests, partial or full robes, and the like.
    • The color schemes of outfits like this tend to blend a bit of the natural tone with some fairly rare colors: Stuff like blue and purple, for example. These work well, as they also create good contrast with golds and browns.

What I'd really recommend is stopping by Costume Contests to see who shows up - especially if it so happens that one of the categories is 'magic user' or 'mystical' or somesuch. You're much more likely to get some inspiration from looking at the people that show up than from asking for general tips.

• oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    For a modern mystic type character, you can subtly suggest their magical nature through the clothes they wear like hoods, high collars, cloaks, jackets, trenchcoats, skirts, capes, long gloves/boots and such. The colouring and patterns on these clothes can also help to suggest mysticism. In addition, accessories are a big help. Things like headewear, tattoos, necklaces, rings, emblems, armbands and belts.
  • takodatentakodaten Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just some stuff I have found helpful in the character/costume creating process that I thought I would add to this post.

Kuler, by Adobe (pronounced "color")
    If you are having trouble in whatever form for coming up with a color scheme for your character, try this site. It is a searchable database of user-created colors schemes. Then, choose the closest colors in the tailor to the scheme you found.

Thesaurus.com
    When you want to find a name for your character, and you can only keep thinking of the same old names, I recommend using this thesaurus. Search for some word related to your character's theme, and see the words that come up. Even if you don't select anything that comes up, the results will more than likely trigger your creative juices.

That's all I can think of for now. I am sure I am forgetting some. So, I will probably add more as I think of them. Hope they are useful to someone else.
  • leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Superhero/Villain Name Generator by Seventh Sanctum.
    edited April 2013
    takodaten wrote: »
    Just some stuff I have found helpful in the character/costume creating process that I thought I would add to this post.

Kuler, by Adobe (pronounced "color")
    If you are having trouble in whatever form for coming up with a color scheme for your character, try this site. It is a searchable database of user-created colors schemes. Then, choose the closest colors in the tailor to the scheme you found.

Thesaurus.com
    When you want to find a name for your character, and you can only keep thinking of the same old names, I recommend using this thesaurus. Search for some word related to your character's theme, and see the words that come up. Even if you don't select anything that comes up, the results will more than likely trigger your creative juices.

That's all I can think of for now. I am sure I am forgetting some. So, I will probably add more as I think of them. Hope they are useful to someone else.

Ah, Kuler. You know, I actually hosted forum-based costume contests based on palettes from that site back in the CoH heyday. The schemes found there are definitely good, but part of the reason for that is because they're so subtle. A shade of gray you might find there might have just the slightest twinge of green and blue in there to make it really pop with the orange it's paired with.

Another small point of contention about Kuler is that it doesn't give you a great sense of what proportions each color should really be used in. Colourlovers offers a solution to that, as it features palette stripes that have different thicknesses.
    leihngwei wrote: »

Name generators like that always come up with really goofy stuff. Names like "Disease Frog" or "False Arrow", in the most recent generation I attempted. That said, I do imagine that it (along with a thesaurus) could come in handy for thinking up a good name.

Thanks for these links! I'll put them in at the very bottom of the 'tricks' section.

• wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    So, I saw a character that was semi-transparent. How is that possible?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »
    So, I saw a character that was semi-transparent. How is that possible?

The Legacy Device [Elder Worm Humidity Dome] from the Drifter Legacy Kit, gives your character a transparent effect

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Elder_Worm_Humidity_Dome
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • worldofgames242worldofgames242 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I created a new character but I couldn't find the lizard tail nor the dragon wings. Are those still available? Btw I'm silver.
  • sbregosbrego Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi guys. I really want to start a char that look like her in the most similar way possible, and I'd like to know what kind of parts I need. I already saw that Cosmic Armor set has a good head accessory for it, and similar headgear, but it's not actually tall as I need. I already saw a guy that managed to make a very similar helmet. How can I do a similar thing, too? Many thanks for the help!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sbrego wrote: »
    Hi guys. I really want to start a char that look like her in the most similar way possible, and I'd like to know what kind of parts I need. I already saw that Cosmic Armor set has a good head accessory for it, and similar headgear, but it's not actually tall as I need. I already saw a guy that managed to make a very similar helmet. How can I do a similar thing, too? Many thanks for the help!

I dont think anyoone is going to tell you how to make a clone costume and break TOS right here on the forum. Be inspired by a character do not attempt to remake it. If you do, don't come crying when it is reported and made generic.
  • sbregosbrego Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    I dont think anyoone is going to tell you how to make a clone costume and break TOS right here on the forum. Be inspired by a character do not attempt to remake it. If you do, don't come crying when it is reported and made generic.

Oh well, I TOTALLY didn't know that.
    This is my very first time approaching the game (I still have to create my first char) and I didn't think that it's a bannable thing to make a costume that just resemble a comic char or whatever. I guess I was wrong. I apologize for my negligence, I didn't want to start a flame or something. I'm going to read the TOS now, and thanks anyway.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014

You need [Power Cosmic] for that....
    yes-fist-pump-smiley-emoticon.gif?m=1382043866
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh well, I TOTALLY didn't know that.
    This is my very first time approaching the game (I still have to create my first char) and I didn't think that it's a bannable thing to make a costume that just resemble a comic char or whatever. I guess I was wrong. I apologize for my negligence, I didn't want to start a flame or something. I'm going to read the TOS now, and thanks anyway.

Oh it's fine. Everyone has been tempted to make a clone once in a while but it can be reported. I enjoy making homages and wouldn't mind helping you make an inspired look. You can hit me up in game: @esalmighty

[edit: nevemnd]
    And I appear to be blind, who are you wanting to make?
    The first post(s) probably need updating in light of the costume creator getting updated.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
    The tailor's changed a lot in the past 5 years or so, huh? I think most of the topics I discuss in there still hold up mostly; there isn't much I can think of in there that focus on really specific mechanical stuff inside the tailor that's changed.

It looks mostly fine, admittedly. About the only standout differences are where it says the tabs are "head, torso & arms, hands, and lower body" (arms got moved over to the hands tab) and then the screenshot of the colors is the old one.

-Sterga
  • rfd123rfd123 Posts: 10 Arc User
    Awesome thread.
    @ambassadorkael#6946
    @kaizerin
    To any other players, developers, or readers for whom it may concern,

The current situation I'm in has made me feel that my feedback as a player (let alone a senior player) is not valued by the Cryptic team. To me, the new login screen's sorting method has undermined my very habits of how I play this game, as a player who has over 130 characters created and more than 10k hours logged to this game over the past nine years. The update has made managing this volume of characters cumbersome for me, and caused me significant distress.

As a result, I will be removing my guides, galleries, and other posts from this forum. Some of my most prominent guides on Steam have already been removed in accordance with this.

Coming May 2nd, the contents of this thread containing this guide to costume design will be removed, unless the character select screen changes are removed, or adjusted. This date may be postponed, perhaps even indefinitely, if the developers make it known that my pain points have been heard - in other words simply acknowledging that my feedback has been heard would be enough for me to consider the matter resolved. This would show great compassion, in spite of how I feel so far, and would prove me wrong about my perspective on the matter - something I'd hope for so deeply.

If Cryptic feels I have overstepped a line by making this maneuver, they may feel free to unsticky this thread and/or ban me at an earlier date - at the very least it'd feel consistent, considering how I feel regarding my treatment.

I ask kindly once again to the Cryptic Developers to please reconsider the change to how characters are sorted, as it proves to be a massive detriment to alt-heavy veteran players such as myself, with only minor benefits to fresher players who have smaller, less cumbersome rosters for which the login screen wasn't an issue for already. More details of exactly how this update has affected me can be read in this forum post. (Warning, it's a very long post.)

Some players (actually many from what I've heard so far) would consider me to be over-reacting at this point. Understand that the pace and abruptness of this change was part of what's lead me to take this path. Another part is my inability to reach or obtain feedback from the game's developers on this matter in any way prior to this. As far as I know, this is my only option, and for those who would make use of my guides, I profusely apologize for having to remove my content like this.

Please consider our feedback. I would hate to see a future in which Champions Online would not be able to flourish from the wisdom that our veteran players have to offer, or the creativity of its costumers both old and new.

Thank you for your consideration, and all the fun you've given me for the past decade - players, developers, everyone.

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    Welp, one guide lost for good. No, seriously, it wasn't even archived under the Wayback Machine.