test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exclusive: Champions Online challenges players to take on the Forum Malvanum

devtrackerdevtracker Posts: 66 Arc User
Champions Online players have just braved a full-scale invasion in the appropriately named Lemurian Invasion event. So now the superheroes of Millennium City get to take a long weekend and possibly head to the beach, right? Hardly. A new challenge approaches in the form of the upcoming Forum Malvanum event, throwing heroes into a pitched arena battle run by a mysterious alien race. But it's not quite what you might think.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/exclusive-champions-online-challenges-players-to-take-on-the-fo/
Post edited by devtracker on

Comments

• xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A high speed race huh? Vehicles. Oooofffff course. :biggrin:
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ok Lordgar,

You have been given a clean slate as our "Live Producer". Thus far you have done things that WOULD HAVE pleased me if I were a player. (Including Ascension and Imbue nerf)

Good work.

Your approval has a LARGE blemish on it BECAUSE your name was attached to the first PTS patch that diverted resources from the telepathy pass in November. Rectify this and you will surely have raised the (extremely low-set) bar from Producers Past.

- -

Now.. what's the difference, between a "Live Producer" and an "Executive Producer"? Also is there a "PTS Producer"?
  • enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I do have to admit I actually kinda like that grav chariot. It's got that sorta sci-fantasy look like something from a John Carter of Mars style story or something so mystic type characters can use it without feeling quite so out of place. Not gona fit everyone of course but its a better fit than the totally not Star Wars bikes and tanks are for magic uers.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    enixonbb wrote: »
    I do have to admit I actually kinda like that grav chariot. It's got that sorta sci-fantasy look like something from a John Carter of Mars style story or something so mystic type characters can use it without feeling quite so out of place. Not gona fit everyone of course but its a better fit than the totally not Star Wars bikes and tanks are for magic uers.

QFT. This chariot is looking kinda awesome. I hope there's a way to get one (even if it is a basic 5 slot version, or even better, a true travel power) that doesn't involve lock boxes or rather insane Z-store prices.

Grav bikes are cool but not $15-20 cool. At least there or non-lockbox options now so i'm not complaining too loudly.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I got excited for a split second before realizing that this is vehicle crap that I won't touch.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "We haven't set the final duration, but our usual cycle is a six-week story arc, from the first release to the final mission's release, and the final mission will probably stay around for three weeks after release."

Hooray for permanence >___>
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    @jaybezz:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P_AnvUIvJs

Oh good. Vehicle-centric content is finally coming. ._.

Please let there be lots of gladiator-fightin'-fun-stuff too! I don't want to be stuck in my unpersonalized jet for the whole thing. I want to crack skulls of gigantic aliens. If I wanted to race against aliens I'd dust off my Dreamcast and play Star Wars Pod Racer.
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, so much for "They'll sometimes focus on character improvements, and some on vehicles. Our next arc, which will involve gladiatorial combat, will focus on your character."

gladiator.jpg

Anyway. Old and new Gladiator costume pieces and Duratok making an appearance. Actually include that, and the event will be about 20% better.
  • enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A Circus Maximus race thing does sound like a cool idea, it'd give use a mission that's something else besides the usual "defeat X bad guys" or "collect X random do-dads". That said it actually seems kinda odd to stick us in vehicles for this. Objectively yeah it's a race so it makes sense for this to be something for the vehicles to do and not suck horribly at, but from what I've hared of the storyline for this the idea is that the aliens want heroes in the arena to spice things up a bit, what's the point of getting Superman or the Flash for a race if you're just gonna stick 'em in a chariot? :confused:

Nitpicking aside having a race thing as a normal daily would be kinda nice, it'd give the vehicles some reason to be there rather than just to make money for our PWE overlords. Heck make two, one for vehicles one for TPs Flash and Superman are always doing races for charity and such after all
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would love a mission where teams fought progressively tougher enemies in an arena. For instance, three rounds of opponents.

A vehicle-based race does seem reasonable, and also the chariot-style vehicle looks alright.

Awesome idea--allow heroes to use their normal powers from the chariot, instead of vehicle-powers.

I would actually buy a chariot if my sorcerer-heroes could cast spells from them.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Full of win.

20551436.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hereby christen the chariot "Dr. Destroyer's Slipper!"
    biffsig.jpg
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is stupid....
    edited March 2013

Smackwell wins the thread! XD
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013

lol, I was just afraid we'd have Grav Horses pulling them >_>
  • falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My personal favorite quote:
    A lot of players have been asking for new endgame content; can those players look forward to anything in particular during the event?

The content for this story arc is planned to be for just about any level. The Forum Malvanum story arc is about fun and four-color heroics, so we're trying to make it as inclusive as possible.

In other words... wat iz dis "end game content" n wai shuud i kare?

Assuming I read that article right and the "arena battle" is the race this news is HIGHLY disappointing. I can only imagine how awesome the game would be if the Nemesis system got the same kind of attention vehicles have now.

I had hopes of a 5-man group arena survival mode type mission, but it looks like that is not in the cards.

Since we all know you won't expand or fix what's already in game, can we at least move on to the next new shiny and leave vehicles mouldering in their lockboxes after this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, so much for "They'll sometimes focus on character improvements, and some on vehicles. Our next arc, which will involve gladiatorial combat, will focus on your character."

gladiator.jpg

Anyway. Old and new Gladiator costume pieces and Duratok making an appearance. Actually include that, and the event will be about 20% better.

3 quick points.

1. NO, do NOT put the Nemesis Confrontation Gladiator Unlocks into this event. Put them BACK in the Nemesis Confrontation as drops where they belong.

2. Please, if the drops are uncommon or common make them sellable for some change and/or make them BoE so we can give mountains of them away to newbies or people who miss the event.

3. Is it just me or do you all find it odd/sad that the link at the bottom of the Massively article leads to pictures from Resistance? Are there no more recent pics? Is it an ordering issue? Is it...DOOM? <shrugs> I just found it odd.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    edited March 2013
    This is stupid....

And stupid is fun :D
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • haxavage8haxavage8 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    why? why? why? just read your own forums!!!!! we want a new zone!!! new powers!! and new costumes!! We will happily spend money on these new things, not more stupid vehicle content,AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! I have been playing or two years now, i love this game-please for the love of all things holy, stop trying to kill it!!
  • haxavage8haxavage8 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry for that- I have been silent for a loong time on these forums. This development scheme just makes no sense!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We have no new content! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

We have content, but it's not what I want! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • duratokgorehowlduratokgorehowl Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2013

gladiator.jpg

Anyway. Old and new Gladiator costume pieces and The Mighty Duratok Gorehowl of the Kro'Taruk making an appearance. Actually include that, and the event will be about 200% better.

Fixed that for you, tiny mammal!
  • zerojadzerojad Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2013

It is a nose. :biggrin:

Also i bet someone would like that chariot. :rolleyes:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@ZetBuster
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We have no new content! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

We have content, but it's not what I want! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
    Pretty much, yeah. No matter what's introduced, somebody will cry DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!! over it. <shrug>
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crosnightcrosnight Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    isometry wrote: »
    I got excited for a split second before realizing that this is vehicle crap that I won't touch.

*facedesk of epic facedeskingness* guess i wont be doing this as any of my melee toons or tank toons.... again
    "We haven't set the final duration, but our usual cycle is a six-week story arc, from the first release to the final mission's release, and the final mission will probably stay around for three weeks after release."

Hooray for permanence >___>

sky command has been around for more then 6 months... just let us do the final mission whenever we want... temp content is just distasteful. seriously... im pretty sure a lot of people complained once the nighthawk mission went away, i know i was annoyed.
  • gaslockegaslocke Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've had an epiphany.

I used to be of the mind that eventually they would release content not having to do with vehicles and all I had to do was have some patience and wait for it.

You're probably thinking, "aha! I know what your epiphany is, that you now think there will never be anything new that doesn't revolve around vehicles!"

Sadly, nope.

What I believe now is that no matter what new stuff they come up with like the upcoming auras for example, EVERYTHING will be gated behind lockboxes.

For the record, I loathe lockboxes I will not ever spend a dime or in any way shape or form generate income for PWE via their lockbox system.

Sell me things at face value, I.E. I see X item and it costs Y money. I will never gamble for the chance to get content.

I will continue to wait until we get some substantive non vehicle content to see if this pans out. Until then I will remain lurking. I'm patient.

Ashlocke was my original forum name but was unable to keep it during the PW forum migration. *Shakes Fist* :frown:
    edited March 2013
    gaslocke wrote: »
    I've had an epiphany.

I used to be of the mind that eventually they would release content not having to do with vehicles and all I had to do was have some patience and wait for it.
    I've had an epiphany.

I have realized that some people hit one particular phrase, and it horrified them so badly that they forgot the phrase that immediately preceded it.
    Aside from the almost mandatory new lockbox, the event will contain new content including an arena showdown and a mission focused around a high-speed race.
    See? Something that isn't all about the vehicles! Was that so hard?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    falchoin wrote: »
    I had hopes of a 5-man group arena survival mode type mission, but it looks like that is not in the cards.

If you remember a very old topic, the devs confirmed they were working on a Zombie/Viper Survival Mode, which was based on a design i gave them.

But then POOF! Suddenly it vanished....just like the calander, and another 3/4 of game population.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not what I was expecting when it came to chariots. Its too techy and massive. I was expecting literal chariots. But its too much to ask for vehicles with wheels that make exploring on the ground fun.

Looking forward to the arena being a "permanent" addition to the game that we can play whenever we want any time of the year.
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    1. I didnt expect to hear any news about the new event so soon. If they can manage to keep a stady pace throughout the year. I would feel a bit reassured about the state of CO.

2. I dont like vehicles, but i don't dislike them either. This race business sounds like it has potential to be fun, so i may have to at least give it a try. Also the fact that there is currently a thread asking for a "Racing Daily Quest" validates this idea even more.

3. Ive been waiting for some kind of arena mode where you fight tougher and tougher fights until your inevitable death. If they can make this thing so that even top tier FF builds can find a challenge that would be a huge win. Ive been waiting for a mode that challenges some of the tougher min/maxed FF builds.

4. Aren't the Malvanum the guys that enslaved the Roin'esh? if so, i hope that there is some reference or insight to the events in Whiteout.

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I also hope that we get to see Mechanon this year.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • gaslockegaslocke Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I've had an epiphany.

I have realized that some people hit one particular phrase, and it horrified them so badly that they forgot the phrase that immediately preceded it.

See? Something that isn't all about the vehicles! Was that so hard?

So if 90% of something *for me* I dislike, You're saying I'm actually supposed to feel good because 10% is something I might like?

You remind me of the Tootsie Pop Owl who tells the kid it has a wonderfully tasty center but doesn't bother to acknowledge the fact that the hard outer coating that you have to get through tastes like dung.

I admire your glass half full attitude, I wish I could ignore everything I don't like and only see the things I do. I'm just not that creative.

The area of CO's sandbox that I still enjoy playing in seems to be shrinking every day.

P.S. I wouldn't use the word horrified, more like disappointed.

Ashlocke was my original forum name but was unable to keep it during the PW forum migration. *Shakes Fist* :frown:
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope the race portion is doable with these chariots, vehicles, and perhaps even with our own travel powers - if the race involves various obstacles or targets we have to destroy to get a better score/time, all the better, (I'm assuming the chariots will either be a new vehicle type or that they'll replace the UNTIL hover disc).

I hope there is some sort of endurance trial, (like surviving wave after wave of increasingly tough enemies). If that's the case, I would actually advocate putting in a lockout, (so that support or other players w/ rezzes are more useful), but make is patently clear that you will be locked out if you choose to respawn.

As another person mentioned, please do NOT attach the Nemcon pieces to this event - put them back in there. Instead, add pieces that we couldn't get before, (like the helmet and mace-hand). Perhaps we could get slightly different versions of the Nemcon pieces - namely the same pieces but without the spikes, (and perhaps that sword/spear hand that some of the gladiators had - and yes I know that model was used for the heavy weapon sword too).

I would love to see some previous content referenced and/or included in this event - like perhaps a Roin'esh Commander is one of the Gladiators, or Griz could make an appearance.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would absolutely love the not-available NemCon gladiator pieces (Helmet and Handblade) And it wouldn't require any job from the 1-person art team, so it would be foolish for them to not make them available, the only problem is that it's Cryptic, so...
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
    edited March 2013
    So if 90% of something *for me* I dislike, You're saying I'm actually supposed to feel good because 10% is something I might like?
    There were two events mentioned for the Forum Malvanum. One involved vehicles. That's 50%, not 90%.

Unless, of course, you also dislike the whole gladiatorial-combat thing, in which case there's no reason to suppose you'll like this adventure at all - any more than I enjoyed going to Lemuria, the one time I did go. Doesn't mean it's bad, just not my cuppa, and I'm not going to complain if something gets added to it to make other people happier.

edited March 2013
    crosschan wrote: »
    NO, do NOT put the Nemesis Confrontation Gladiator Unlocks into this event. Put them BACK in the Nemesis Confrontation as drops where they belong.

Did you notice how Red Banner minions now drop Samurai costume pieces, since the Fury of the Dragon alert went live? In the best case scenarion, the same will happen here: Arena Guard NPCs dropping new unlockers for old costume pieces, regardless if you fight them in this event, in Nemcon, or elsewhere.
    crosschan wrote: »
    Is it just me or do you all find it odd/sad that the link at the bottom of the Massively article leads to pictures from Resistance? Are there no more recent pics? Is it an ordering issue? Is it...DOOM? <shrugs> I just found it odd.

I wondered about that too, at first. It is a problem with the link. The first pictures that were posted about CO are the first in the slideshow, which are from Resistance. To see the newest ones, click the left arrow.
    matixzon wrote: »
    I would absolutely love the not-available NemCon gladiator pieces (Helmet and Handblade) And it wouldn't require any job from the 1-person art team, so it would be foolish for them to not make them available, the only problem is that it's Cryptic, so...

Actually, there are two different helmets and two different weapon hands; blade and mace. I also suggested two new mace weapons, made by kitbashing the Heavy Gladiator Sword, but I doubt they will include those...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    haxavage8 wrote: »
    Sorry for that- I have been silent for a loong time on these forums. This development scheme just makes no sense!

It does if you only have a small team of Devs at your disposal. They're doing the best they can withn the resources PWE/Cryptic have alloted them for CO continuing development.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited March 2013
    36519561.jpg
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If it's as cool as the Harbinger and doesn't take forever to come out, then I'm cool with it. Maybe a little less "can't be targeted easily" than the Harbinger though? That'd be cool.

I think it's funny that just a few days ago I made a post about a race-style quest... and then this news. It's almost like I secretly own CO and I just like to tease people with foreshadowy posts... xD

Also the whole gladiatorial thing sounds cool... hopefully it involves facing off against a number of unique and interesting opponents who all have really fun mechanigimmicks.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Good: Some little story arcs spanning over a period of time. Not quite a 'comic pack', but it's ok- I can deal with it. I just wish they'd be around longer.

Also, that vehicle looks more like a 'hover board' type thing that would allow you to use your powers, rather than some preset mod attacks like in the vehicles. So there's that. I find it kinda funny that my handguns are more effective than military-grade hovertanks #MilitaryBudgetcuts...

Bad. Obviously this is about all we're getting.

My PROMISE: If Cryptic will release them, I will personally buy the next 3 costume packs. Even if one of the full sets is released only in the Questionite Store. Just to show how much I support them.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A race could be a fun use for vehicles: or just people with R3 Super speedy powers. As long as that's not the only element of the finale scenario, it's okay with me.

I'll hold judgment for later. So far the event system have not even come close to grabbing me in the same way as APs or CSs, though there's been gradual improvement over time.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • stmothstmoth Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As long as this includes the new Blue Shell power.
  • malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is stupid....

Agreed.

More vehicles that I won't use.
    More reused assets.

But you do know what this does remind me of?

That "Rasslor" episode of Dexter's Lab. Where Space Randy Savage summons the greatest heroes of Earth to a Wrestling match to determine the fate of the Earth.
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    enixonbb wrote: »

I will DEFINATELY buy this grav chariot if it goes into the Z store!
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I will DEFINATELY buy this grav chariot if it goes into the Z store!

It won't go to the store, but you can bet you'll get a CHANCE for getting one in a lockbox!!

The KEY, that's in the store.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited March 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    It won't go to the store, but you can bet you'll get a CHANCE for getting one in a lockbox!!

The KEY, that's in the store.
    I didn't know there was a Precognition powerset...

edited March 2013
    There were two events mentioned for the Forum Malvanum. One involved vehicles. That's 50%, not 90%.

Unless, of course, you also dislike the whole gladiatorial-combat thing, in which case there's no reason to suppose you'll like this adventure at all - any more than I enjoyed going to Lemuria, the one time I did go. Doesn't mean it's bad, just not my cuppa, and I'm not going to complain if something gets added to it to make other people happier.

Actually, jon....it's the lockboxes that are the 90% he's referring to.

• rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ya know jon, on Wednesday my neighbors dog tried to bite me, on Thursday my neighbors dog tried to bite me. today i expect it to run up and give me a big kiss, because i lack magical precognitive powers.

that said I am keeping an open mind, we will see how meaty the non vehicle portion of this update is. I really have no idea why they keep pushing temporary content over permanent content. is there some groundswell of people who are upset if new content is not both awesome and immediately taken away from them?
    edited March 2013

Hardly precog, my good man. A quote from the developer giving the interview makes me think that way.

"aside from the ALMOST MANDATORY NEW LOCKBOX"

See it now?

Additionally, temporary content, while better than no content at all, is just a band aid over a gushing wound.

Happy there's some effort, but it's still needing more attention.

• gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If you remember a very old topic, the devs confirmed they were working on a Zombie/Viper Survival Mode, which was based on a design i gave them.

But then POOF! Suddenly it vanished....just like the calander, and another 3/4 of game population.

QFT... veterans and those who invest time and energy in workable suggestions are those MOST pissed. I really wish veterans had a voice in helping the game.. but alas.. No we dont.
    You remind me of the Tootsie Pop Owl who tells the kid it has a wonderfully tasty center but doesn't bother to acknowledge the fact that the hard outer coating that you have to get through tastes like dung.

More Truth

fat-cheerleader.jpeg

^ This is full of lies

Telepathy has been marginalized.. I assume all precogs were also affected
    #TelepathyNOW
    keikomyst wrote: »

HAHA That made me giggle SO hard! TY Keikio
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So... do I have this right... more temporary content? When are they going to make something that sticks around? Is their budget so small that they can only afford the room for one story arc that has to be rotated out to make space for another?