test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Telepathy =D

fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Power Discussion
Before you say anything, no, this is not a thread whining about #TelepathyMeow. Actually, I'm more looking for some info and ideas on Telepathy.

Basically, I've tried to make a toon centered around each powerset, using as many powers as I can from it while still keeping it viable. Most of them have succumbed to altitis and are lost in my roster, but they are still there for when I get bored.

What I was wondering, is how to theme a Telepathy toon. Basically, I've made it that all of the other toons are related, and most, if not all of their 'powers' are merely specialized combat suits. Power Armour, Munitions, Fire, and even Telekinesis are all explained with sci-fi handwavium.

However, I've recently been at a loss for Telepathy. I can't really figure out anything that would explain why attacks are originating from the head, and I was wondering if anyone else could help spark an idea, or perhaps offer a suggestion. I put Telekinesis blades as 'formed energy' rather then mental blades, although I don't think that would quite work for Telepathy.

As well, a bit of a build question. Are there any specific powers that I should avoid? (inb4 'all of them'.) I'm usually able to make most builds work, but are there any powers which are really pitiful or unusable in most circumstances?

I'm not really looking for full builds, although an example build for something that works would allow me to pick out ideas. I'm just looking for some inspiration, I guess.

So, forumites. Any ideas?
@HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
Post edited by fudgemonsta on

Comments

• oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ...?

Have a Robotic Eye or cyclops visor or something on your powersuit. Bam! Ego Blast is now an energy blast from your eyepiece.

Empathic Healing? Ego Sleep? Ego Placate? Ego Sprites? Nanobots. Nanobots can explain ANYTHING.

Summon Nightmare? Collective Will? Holograms.

C'mon man, this is easy stuff compared to nonsense you're going to need to justify Sorcery and Supernatural as tech.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cyrone wrote: »

My telepath themed character.

The build in the link needs to be updated. I run Manipulator instead of Concentration.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    oniganon wrote: »
    ...?

Have a Robotic Eye or cyclops visor or something on your powersuit. Bam! Ego Blast is now an energy blast from your eyepiece.

Empathic Healing? Ego Sleep? Ego Placate? Ego Sprites? Nanobots. Nanobots can explain ANYTHING.

Summon Nightmare? Collective Will? Holograms.

C'mon man, this is easy stuff compared to nonsense you're going to need to justify Sorcery and Supernatural as tech.

[Facedesk.]

...Yup. I'm an idiot. Thinking too hard on it...Works. Idea stimulation successful, thankee. :biggrin:

And I just say magic is exploiting the rifts in space and time. Nothing like ripping open portals to other worlds...Inside your foes.
    cyrone wrote: »
    My telepath themed character.

The build in the link needs to be updated. I run Manipulator instead of Concentration.

I shall have to take a look, thanks mate.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here's an Idea..

Fix the hold mechanics. This will help PvP and Telepathy, both things i liked.

Bottom line, if chatacter performance matters to you there is nothing in Telepathy for you outside of Mindful Reinforcement.
    edited March 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Bottom line, if chatacter performance matters to you there is nothing in Telepathy for you outside of Mindful Reinforcement.

Character performance inside theme. :wink:

I'll make it work. Cyrone did. Shouldn't be too hard. :tongue:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Character performance inside theme. :wink:

I'll make it work. Cyrone did. Shouldn't be too hard. :tongue:

I wish you the best but for every telepathy power you pick just know there is a better perfroming option you could have chosen (except for Mindful Reinforcement).

I played a telepathic theme for a long time and loved it at launch (then liked it.. then tolerated it.. then loathed it.. then quit.)

Playing underpowered is fun until it is not. Here's hoping you aren't force to choose between fun and telepathy
    edited March 2013
    I wish you the best but for every telepathy power you pick just know there is a better perfroming option you could have chosen (except for Mindful Reinforcement).

While still sticking in theme? Well, I'll probably go for it. If not? No room in this build.
    I played a telepathic theme for a long time and loved it at launch (then liked it.. then tolerated it.. then loathed it.. then quit.)

Unfortunate, really. I'd love for every build to be viable in its own ways, but unfortunately something with so much choice is innately difficult to balance.
    Playing underpowered is fun until it is not. Here's hoping you aren't force to choose between fun and telepathy

I got other toons if I want overpowered. I'm just...Doin' this for fun. :biggrin:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While still sticking in theme? Well, I'll probably go for it. If not? No room in this build.

Unfortunate, really. I'd love for every build to be viable in its own ways, but unfortunately something with so much choice is innately difficult to balance.

I got other toons if I want overpowered. I'm just...Doin' this for fun. :biggrin:

I'm assuming your going to go ranged/Hybrid? If so a mentalist should be pretty straight forward.

And I wish you the best of luck.

Check out my link if you want to know what trying to play a support role telepath feels like, in terms of damage output, damage taken and durability :biggrin:

EDIT: Do not forget to include the most powerful telepathic power in game besides Ego Blast...namely PSI Lash :3
  • bluecenturionbluecenturion Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My theme for a telepathy character is a brain in a jar, created by the MIGO, liberated by a unnnamed Time/Space repair team, and walking around atop a robotic body. But you dont have to keep it that simple, a good telepath can be really complex.
    Go Kill, Hunt Skulz.
    edited March 2013
    I'm assuming your going to go ranged/Hybrid? If so a mentalist should be pretty straight forward.

And I wish you the best of luck.

Check out my link if you want to know what trying to play a support role telepath feels like, in terms of damage output, damage taken and durability :biggrin:

EDIT: Do not forget to include the most powerful telepathic power in game besides Ego Blast...namely PSI Lash :3

Thankee. Yeah, probably going ranged hybrid, mix in some heals and things because, well, why not.

Shoot me a message in game if you wanna take a look, I'd be happy to have your advice on it.
    My theme for a telepathy character is a brain in a jar, created by the MIGO, liberated by a unnnamed Time/Space repair team, and walking around atop a robotic body. But you dont have to keep it that simple, a good telepath can be really complex.

Armoured cloned fish soldiers. I know, cliche, but eh. It works. :biggrin:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!