test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm not getting the most out of my character

kallanidenkallaniden Posts: 116 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Power Discussion
So I have a guy who has reached level 40. He's nearly indestructible and is capable of healing back to full health from the brink of death. Problems include:

1. He's weak as ****.
2. There's a huge space where powers could go, but apparently I can't get anymore than I have right now, which is about 9 or so.

I know tanks aren't supposed to do a whole lot of damage, but I didn't expect to be this ridiculously gimped. My other character has a full table of powers, but he can't take too much damage. Total opposite of my tank character. I'll take a screenshot of my character's abilities later and his stats. I don't feel like filling out that Powerhouse crap right now. I wish I knew half of what I was doing in this game when making characters by myself. :S
Post edited by kallaniden on

Comments

• Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Posting your build info is a start.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Actually I do recommend you show us your powerhouse.nullware output of your build, it would help us be able to critique and possible give you suggestions towards what you really want. It's not crap, it's how to communicate with each other about builds efficiently & effectively.

:smile:

By the way, tanks do suffer from energy management issues that cut into their DPS, and if you're heavily stacked on the 4 defense types (dodge/avoidance, defense %, shields/bubble/PFF, and HP) then you probably lack offensive powers.

But without knowing what toggle forms you chose, where you put advantage points, or which specializations you chose, we really have no clue what you're on about. Capice? I agree with Jenny in this case.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Let me introduce to you the powerful trinity that is Dex/Con/Int. It not only can apply to DPS, but tanks as well. Then there is the popular energy unlock that goes with it called MSA.

I've used an infernal tank built around this trinity for some time until recently, kinda feel crowded with all the DE tanks running around.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Alright alright, it's just such a pain in the **** is all.

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=5&n=&d=1234GLSRIOPP0d0A003A10JK101K20vK707K900A600A701AH04KD05N200DL00KG00A8013UbJ0TBD1kuT

I know a lot of this is made for defense, but I don't know how else to add to the damage factor.
  • Options
    pharmacopharmaco Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My firs impression is that this build has no synergy, and is missing a couple of critical things for a tank. If you are going to tank then you need a power with crippling challenge and a way to stay in melee range, if you are a mostly melee toon, in case you get knocked around a bit. So, with that in mind, I used your build as a framework and came up with this. It is still the same flair, a swordsman that uses a connection with darkness to instill fear.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Survival Training
    Level 9: Paramilitary Training
    Level 12: Martial Training
    Level 15: Discipline Training
    Level 18: Impressive Physique
    Level 21: Bodybuilder

Powers:
    Level 1: Rain of Steel
    Level 1: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 6: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 11: Storm's Harvest (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 14: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares)
    Level 17: Form of the Master (Storm's Eye Prana)
    Level 20: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 26: Unbreakable
    Level 29: Sigils of Ebon Weakness (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Shadow Shroud (Terrifying Visage)
    Level 35: Conviction
    Level 38: Molecular Self-Assembly

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Scarab Tunneling (Scarab Embrace)
    Level 35: Scarab Flight

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

So here is what it does:

The two big differences in the Dual Blade selections are the addition of Storm's Harvest and Dragon's Wrath. SH is where you have your Crippling Challenge for the 4 second taunt and the extra threat when you spam it a few times. DW is a good spike damage power but for this build its more important for the Rush buff it gives you on a full charge. Rush is an energy over time buff that gives you energy that scales with your Dex, and the buff lasts for as many seconds as you have stacks of focus,which you will have 8 a short time into any fight.

I changed your toggle form to Form of the Master to take advantage of the recharge reduction mechanic for BCR. The net effect is that the effective recharge time for BCR is cut in half so you should be able to run two stacks of BCR at all time which is a lot of healing. Unbreakable is a solid active offense that gives you a big boost to damage mitigation in a pinch as well.

For the shadow powers, Shadow Embrace is a decent AoE cone that has good fear induction, and Void Shift is the lunge to get you back into combat with the fear induction advantage as well. Shadow Shroud is an active offense power that will boost your damage for a short time, and looks really cool to boot. It also has the fear induction adv so yo should have no problems keeping your targets feared. I took out Pillar of Poz because it does exactly the opposite of what you want by knocking the mob away from you. I put in Sigils of Ebon Weakness in keeping with your shadow theme, and if you gear for a bit of presence you will probably get a 20% reduction in damage from the sigils plus the 10% from fear which is pretty awesome damage mitigation that is not hit by Cryptic math.

Finally, I adjusted your spec tree selections a bit. Under Dex the dodge and avoid bonuses in tier 2 are not that big, and with LR they are kind of useless. The points are in the crit boosters now, both chance and severity. I also changed the other trees because there are much better synergies to be had. With the new trees you get increases to offense and defense, some healing, and most importantly, crit severity. With these choices and some gear you should see at least 100% crit severity which will boost your damage big time. :biggrin:

Hope this helps and makes the toon feel better to play, and sorry for being so long winded about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I hope I'll still be incredibly impossible to kill; Gravitar is hard enough without being able to damage her much. I'll try out your build and see what effect it has. Thanks much for taking the time to help me out, dude. c:
  • Options
    oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Super Stats:
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Powers:
    Level 1: Rain of Steel
    Level 1: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes) Main attack
    Level 6: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Form of the Tempest
    Level 11: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 14: Masterful Dodge
    Level 17: Void Shift (Emerging Nightmares, Crippling Challenge) Lunge, reliable Fear, taunt.
    Level 20: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Chi Flame) Single target melee, Rush, dot for Reverb
    Level 23: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 26: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 29: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Nyctophobia, Paranormal Paranoia) Single target 100ft ranged, debuff, dot for Reverb
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Imbue
    Level 38: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3) Can replace with anything.

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (1/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    So I've set up Pharmaco's build, and this is what I've found:

I do far more damage than I used to. Considering I'm a tank I get enough damage in to be considered effective. I'm not as immortal as I used to be, which is kind of a bummer. That's not to say I'm easy to kill at all, but considering I died for the first time fighting Gravitar it's a little disappointing. Good thing I stock up on reviving serum. I wasn't able to afford a retcon token, so I had to undo a lot of things through resources. I wasn't able to change the specializations or my talents, but I have a feeling it's good where it's at currently.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Bleh, trying to update the build, but it keeps telling me I have a "Bad Request." I have to post a new comment.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    My main character needs some severe touching-up, considering he's a glass cannon. Here's the build I have in mind:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Disciple
    Level 6: Finesse
    Level 9: Acrobat
    Level 12: Quick Recovery
    Level 15: Body and Mind
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina
    Level 21: Relentless

Powers:
    Level 1: Laser Edge
    Level 1: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 8: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 11: Smoke Bomb Lunge (Rank 2, Accelerated Metabolism)
    Level 14: Throwing Blades (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Gas Pellets (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Strafing Run (Rank 2)
    Level 23: Night Warrior (Silent Running)
    Level 26: Form of the Tempest
    Level 29: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 32: Shuriken Storm (Rank 2, Floating Butterfly)
    Level 35: Masterful Dodge (Unfettered Strikes)
    Level 38: Palliate (Rank 2, Absolve)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (1/3)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Merciless (2/3)