test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Community event idea -- interested?

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
I've got a community contest/event that I'm interested in doing, and I thought I'd throw it out here to see if A) people are interested, and B) how it should unfold.

So if you're in the US, you probably know March Madness is coming up. I'm interested in making a bracket of villain organizations in Champions -- VIPER versus PSI, DEMON versus Destroyer, etc. Players would vote, and the winning organizations would advance. If the event goes well, I might be able to get an Action Figure made relating to the organization that wins it all.

First off, is that something people would be interested in? Second off... what level of complexity? I could certainly run it as a simple vote on Facebook, splashed in with some pictures and such, but I'd really like to throw this to the creative wolves.

I know some people have their favorite organizations, and if people could sway more votes by posting cool VIPER costumes, or hosting a fun DEMON RP event, I would love to encourage that. It could be week by week challenges, or it could be just people stumping for their favorite organization.

So -- interested?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Can there be a VIPER Vs. Pink bracket? Being that Pink has more or less achieved the status of Grim Reaper amongst most of their enlisted troops, what with the hundreds of thousands of them that she's gunned down simply to make a couple rolly balls to zip around with. :wink:

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Caliga Vs The Chat Ban Army!!!

I Shall Prevail!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Can there be a VIPER Vs. Pink bracket? Being that Pink has more or less achieved the status of Grim Reaper amongst most of their enlisted troops, what with the hundreds of thousands of them that she's gunned down simply to make a couple rolly balls to zip around with. :wink:

I have tossed around the possibility of player-created organizations going into the brackets. They'd need a lot of support to win, of course... :biggrin:
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oooh, sounds neat. I like.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Empyrean vs Lemurian!
    Mechanon vs Destroyer!
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Black Harlequin vs. Jack Fool at a comedy club?

Who gets the most laughs? Who gets the highest body count? Whose custard and arsenic pie in the face cuisine reigns supreme?
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    • Best in robotics: Cyberlord vs. Destroyer vs. Foxbat
    • Best in fashion: Viperia vs. Gravitar vs. Mindslayer
    • Westside's Most Wanted : Purple Gang vs. Red Banner vs. Maniacs
    • Ugliest minions: Elder Worm vs. Karkaradons vs. Qualarr

Just a few ideas for facebook polls.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm down.

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So is this just a vote where the community votes for a winner in each bracket and then each tier until the winner of all organizations wins? Then an action figure is made of...well what?

I'm completely confused at how this could be set up as an event?

If anything please no player-created organizations. Not unless this game gets a renown system or what have you. Not unless having powerful SGs matter in this game. Currently its not set up for it.

Personally I loathe action figures or anything of the sort being custom made of specific players or their organizations unless they earned it hard or is a dev. And I mean REALLY earn it. And voting between player made organizations would simply be unbalanced as numbers instead of worth would be a factor in who wins.

I think granting rewards like that would only be acceptable if an event like this was done often and there are no repeat winners.

In fact, I would approve of something that allowed players somehow to get custom action figures made if you want to go along the route of making AFs for community events and occasions. Maybe even add them to the store so anyone can get their hands on it without having to wait for someone to log on never.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I expect for something like Qwyjibo & Manimals vs. Teleiosaurus & Teleiosaurus hatchlings.

I would love that if event comes like as Hero Game MEGA-Stronghold Prison style PvP team match.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Perhaps something truly epic.

Foxbat vs. a giant cream pie.
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Set up the 4 different bracket regions named after zones.
    Then choose the factions you find in those zones to fight.
    Monster Island has a handful:
    Argent
    Viper
    Manimals
    Worms
    Robots
    Lemurians(devolved Lemurias?)
    Telio hatchlings

Canada:
    Telios
    Viper
    Patriots
    Living dead
    Bigfoot

Dessert:
    Viper
    Cowboy Robots
    Irradiates
    Ghost cowboys
    Demon

MC/Vibora
    Purple Gang
    Psi
    Hi Pans group
    Crazies
    Wolves
    Vampires

Maybe choos 4 from each zone
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I love champions lore.

Too bad to support anything Cry[tic at this point is treason.

So A) I am not interested.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    On the prize end of things I have to wonder if it would be possible to suggest something else. Rather than (or in addition to) an AF that draws upon elements of that enemy group, why not either create a new costume piece based on the group or for the enemy group to gain a brand new mob. The former adds more character customization to the game and allows them to literally wear their support like a sports team. The latter adds more gameplay variance by giving the enemy group something new without doing a full enemy review.

I'll try to brainstorm on stuff with the event itself.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    On the prize end of things I have to wonder if it would be possible to suggest something else. Rather than (or in addition to) an AF that draws upon elements of that enemy group, why not either create a new costume piece based on the group or for the enemy group to gain a brand new mob. The former adds more character customization to the game and allows them to literally wear their support like a sports team. The latter adds more gameplay variance by giving the enemy group something new without doing a full enemy review.

Chiefly because an Action Figure is miles easier to create and distribute than a costume set, or even a costume piece. In fact, if everything works as planned, I should be able to make it myself -- which means the dev team doesn't lose any development time, and we don't have to wait for the devs to have an opening in their schedule to get it created.

I like new content that's easy to create. :smile:
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In fact, I would approve of something that allowed players somehow to get custom action figures made if you want to go along the route of making AFs for community events and occasions. Maybe even add them to the store so anyone can get their hands on it without having to wait for someone to log on never.

I think this would be a better prize. We already have a ton of VIPER AFs, so if they were to win, for example, it would be a bit pointless... You also might get people voting not for their favorite faction, but for one they feel there aren't enough AFs of.

Maybe have various organizations duke it out as you said, but choose a winner among the people who voted for the winning faction? Like a raffle.
    • Person votes on the forums with a simple text message - 1 vote and entry;
    • Person makes a screenshot of his faction fighting an opposing faction - 1 more vote and entry in the raffle;
    • Person makes a video of his faction of choice fighting other factions - 1 more vote and entry;

Giving you a maximum of 3 votes per person, and a maximum of three chances to win an AF based on one of your characters if your faction ends up winning?

Also, if you have the means to make AFs, please do this more frequently and let players get their designs in the ZEN Store or as in-game drops or whatever. Myself and a few other people have wanted Mini-Mes since forever.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You all know I'm rooting for PSI no matter what.

If it was PSI vs VIPER, a number of things would have to change:

1) PSI would need to be beefed up bigtime.

2) PSI needs real mental powers, control and good defense penetration on attacks.

3) PSI FTW!!

I'd really like to be able to explore PSI Lore alot more, because doing every single mission related to mentalist powers/groups in all shapes and form in game is not enough :3

I'd really like to see PSI dish out major pain on VIPER and completely crush them to pieces. You have NO idea how much I HATE VIPER *rages*
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited March 2013
    Do this event, if realised, will be done with respect for Champions universe when choosing opponents and outcomes?

For example - straight confrontation VIPER versus PSI should logically end with PSI being wiped, as VIPER is probably the most powerful villainous organisation on the Champions Earth. Those guys are capable of open warfare against UNTIL and have even access to their own supervillains (not to mention making their own mentalists ingame, already). In comparison PSI is at best local power - PSI shouldn't be able to destroy more than a local part of the VIPER's network, if successful.
  • Options
    arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Black Harlequin vs. Jack Fool at a comedy club?

Who gets the most laughs? Who gets the highest body count? Whose custard and arsenic pie in the face cuisine reigns supreme?
    Foxbat would crash this shindig you know. He would likely claim to have the most killer jokes.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sure, why not.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    I love champions lore.

Too bad to support anything Cry[tic at this point is treason.

So A) I am not interested.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell

No message as to why my post was edited. I once again disagree with the edit of my post directly responding to the questions asked by the original post.

#TelepathyNOW <-- This is an extremely relevant part of my post and should not be forum edited. Especially when I'm forced to see these ugly forum signatures that have nothing to do with the forum post.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    • Best in robotics: Cyberlord vs. Destroyer vs. Foxbat

Just a few ideas for facebook polls.

This is just a travisty. No Mechanon. This is why he needs to get into the darn game.

As to the actual topic...I think it could be fun. Sadly alot of the cool group from Champions lore have not made it into this game...sigh.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    deviousideviousi Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    First off, is that something people would be interested in? Second off... what level of complexity? I could certainly run it as a simple vote on Facebook, splashed in with some pictures and such, but I'd really like to throw this to the creative wolves.
    Personally, it's something unique from my point-of-view. My sister plays college basketball (out due to knee injury), so my family is pretty familiar with what "March Madness" is and what it details.
    I'd heavily avoid using an external site *cough*Facebook*cough* as means to participate however, as there are people - like myself - who do not feel like signing up for that negative_opinion_about_generic_website, and as such will not support it nor the events taking place there.
    Another idea would probably be to use the blogs to promote the idea and create a poll for the brackets, then have the Villians duke it out in-game and have players make bets on who will win before the fight begins.* The place? Everyone's favorite PvP Arena: The Center of RenCen

*Assuming you can legally do that
  • Options
    mog555mog555 Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Mmmm, group fight???

Lets see...........

PSI vs New Purple Gang (MindSlayer and Kevin Poe sure hate each other)

Foxbat vs Madame Mayhem vs Destroid (Robot creation, since Destroid came out from the factory)

Manimal vs Telos vs VIPER (Manimal sure can be smart when Gadget boy is around)

Lemurian vs Kakaradon (Sea fight or fish fight)

Dogz vs New Shadow vs Nephilin (Oh my)

Druid vs Robert Caliburn (Wonder what will happen when Caringorn Stoneblood know that Robert send someone to beat him for his Earth Gem)

Sound like fun..........
  • Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sure, I'm in.

What's another office bracket this time of year? :D

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

IFirst off, is that something people would be interested in? Second off... what level of complexity? I could certainly run it as a simple vote on Facebook, splashed in with some pictures and such, but I'd really like to throw this to the creative wolves.
    As long as it happens somewhere other than Facebook, Twitter or any other "social" service I'm interested. You really should be able to do something like that using the CO site and forum alone.

Now, if you could push some devs to make an ingame voting system for stuff like this...
  • Options
    polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here's just a quick mock up I did. I think more hero groups are needed. At first I thought there wouldn't be enough factions. Boy was I wrong. Is this sort of what you were thinking about TT?

ChampsMarchMadness_zpsefab02c7.jpg
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    This is just a travisty. No Mechanon. This is why he needs to get into the darn game.

As to the actual topic...I think it could be fun. Sadly alot of the cool group from Champions lore have not made it into this game...sigh.

I thought about Mechanon but frowned when I remembered his only presence in game so far are a few evangelical robot cowboys and an evil ATM machine. The other guys wouldn't stand a chance.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Mechanon's action figure should NOT be made until they actually add content related to him and custom make pieces just for the guy based on the PnP.

Its good to know that at least more action figures can be made by someone who is willing to do it during their free time. Maybe every community rep should have access to all AF distribution abilities for even ones that are no longer available.
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This could work. My simple request on this would be "could we not do this on an outside site and, I dunno, use our own forums?" At worst maybe that useless CORE CONNECT thing could be used for something...useful? :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd be interested in this. However, I will not go near it with a 50 foot pole if the poll is run through anything that requires a Facebook login or the like.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this. However, I will not go near it with a 50 foot pole if the poll is run through anything that requires a Facebook login or the like.

tumblr_mbyt54Jq0N1r12gn4.jpg

This.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Do this event, if realised, will be done with respect for Champions universe when choosing opponents and outcomes?

For example - straight confrontation VIPER versus PSI should logically end with PSI being wiped, as VIPER is probably the most powerful villainous organisation on the Champions Earth. Those guys are capable of open warfare against UNTIL and have even access to their own supervillains (not to mention making their own mentalists ingame, already). In comparison PSI is at best local power - PSI shouldn't be able to destroy more than a local part of the VIPER's network, if successful.

PSI has the capacity to control aspects inside the VIPER chain of command, infiltrate and destroy. Hell, Mindslayer was already massing forces from VIPER's project awakening, who frankly were most likely below the mental power of PSI.

VIPER only has the edge because they are everywhere, over developed and well intergrated into the game in terms of in game material. So they are one of the most powerful groups.

Unlike PSI who arent explored at all, I'm pretty sure if PSI was further developed and perhaps if there was some link with Menton, they could really lay waste to VIPER.

I'm pretty sure PSI was "taken out and fully destroyed" by heroic forces and believed to be dead and gone.

I think its just a shame this villain group arent explored above level 18...aaand I really hate VIPER...
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, not interested in Facebook or sports-pools.

I suppose it might be a form of marketing, but if not, I wish more time and effort could be spent on in-game events, items, etc.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Throwing in another "I love the idea but absolutely hate Facebook and other similar sites, so please give us at least the option to participate without dealing with any third-party sites" vote.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Facebook is the worst verification to have to go through because I hate being a part of those sites.

So yes, lets keep this to the forums and in game.
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm somewhat interested, but I'm not too much a fan of Facebook, either.

Having it on the official forums is better.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I want lots of RP events involved. If there's awesome RP to go around then I'm sold.
  • Options
    elasmiaelasmia Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've got a community contest/event that I'm interested in doing, and I thought I'd throw it out here to see if A) people are interested, and B) how it should unfold.

So if you're in the US, you probably know March Madness is coming up. I'm interested in making a bracket of villain organizations in Champions -- VIPER versus PSI, DEMON versus Destroyer, etc. Players would vote, and the winning organizations would advance. If the event goes well, I might be able to get an Action Figure made relating to the organization that wins it all.

I know some people have their favorite organizations, and if people could sway more votes by posting cool VIPER costumes, or hosting a fun DEMON RP event, I would love to encourage that. It could be week by week challenges, or it could be just people stumping for their favorite organization.

So -- interested?

i like the idea of comunity events but i have -100 interest in action figures. IF i could have them all follow me around and attack (with 0 dmg and untargetable) the i wold def be interested. until they serve some other function or enhance their vanity function i wont support anything related to them.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    To clarify two things:

1) This was conceived by me as something really simple that I could run without taking up any dev or engineer time. The idea was that it could be an addition to the existing plans (which you will learn more about), not a replacement for them. In addition, it would give players a chance to flex their creative muscles.

I'm totes down for hosting everything here instead of on Facebook, but CORE Connect isn't happening for this, nor are other in-game items or events. That being said, if there's enough interest, I'm down to host a CC and RP events, 100% -- that's something I can do in my off-hours.

[The plus side of having it be this simple is that it takes no time away from the devs working on other Champions stuff, which means more and more-polished content. :biggrin:]

2) This would be a "vote for whichever group is coolest" bracket, not a "who would win in a fight" bracket. So VIPER vs Gravitar wouldn't be about whether they could subdue the heiress, but whether the Boys In Green have more style.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What is CORE Connect?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think it's a PW thing, I'm not sure it applies to Cryptic's games.
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Caliga Vs The Chat Ban Army!!!

I Shall Prevail!!!

Captain Chat Ban has his eye on you. He will deal with you once he has Common Sense permanently in jail(or the loonie bin).

So VIPER vs Gravitar wouldn't be about whether they could subdue the heiress, but whether the Boys In Green have more style.
    Tough call, the guys in green have plain tacky uniforms and Gravitar dresses like a cheap.... Especially the Cat House Harness she's wearing
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How about CO's coolest mercenary?

Mechassassin
    Steel Commando
    Deadman Walkin'
    Devana Hawke

etc.

Of course I have no secret intentions here. :cool:
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If based on popularity, RP and CC sessions seem like they would be a must. I have little to no interest in the actual action figure but I'm really interested in seeing the community aspect of this brought out. That said, there definitely needs to be a front page post and hopefully a banner in the patcher as well.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Scavenger hunt. This must happen.
  • Options
    kselichkselich Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm interested and it seems like it might be fun.
    I don't have a facebook account, so I hope this event can be contained to the forums.

All hail VIPER!
    Hangingout_zps433e13ee.jpg
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    caliga Vs The Chat Ban Army!!!

I Shall Prevail!!!

Need A Sidekick? ^_~
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    2) This would be a "vote for whichever group is coolest" bracket, not a "who would win in a fight" bracket. So VIPER vs Gravitar wouldn't be about whether they could subdue the heiress, but whether the Boys In Green have more style.

Then my vote would go straight to VIPER for their world conspiracy militaristic tune and their no-nonsense attitude. :cool: