test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tempering our expectations.

pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
I'm looking at the Ask Cryptic thread and most of those questions seem unexpected.

Level cap increase?

New power sets?

Power passes?

Given the recent activity by the CO team, I think folks are asking too much. Or rather, just wasting their questions when most of the answers are going to be some overly bureaucratic and vague version of "No" or more likely "we're looking into it" or... anybody remember that "wants" thing from like 2 years ago? Like that.

Anyway, given our wildest dreams, I don't see that thread being overly productive, and just being a sort of time delay for us to spend the next month with bated breath for answers that will be vague and unsatisfactory and will simply lead to another round of "See? look at all what Cryptic is working on!" followed by a slow and steady forum decline back to where we are now.

So I'm asking the players the same thing I'm asking the devs -

Can we cut the BS and get real for a second? Can we put aside our wonderful fantasy and self-delusion and, for once, try and focus on something practical?

I love this game, and I don't want it to die, but for me, its got very little left. I'm not even interested in the Bleak Harbinger crap at this point, and will probably only force myself to "play" it just so I don't "miss" anything. Anyway, I don't want it to die, and if that means we need to accept that its dying, can we just do that and try and figure something out? Kenpo's player based initiative is a great start IMO, but the most important thing is the question that started it.

What can we do?

So I'm saying, lets temper our expectations, stop wasting bandwidth on silly questions (no, Jay, we're not getting telepathy), stop wasting energy on silly endeavors (No, Cryptic, we don't want your "Soon?"s) and get down to some real business?

edit to add: we need to stop thinking about Cryptic and start looking at the CO team as a small indie group trying to produce something great. All the benefits of having a massive publisher or successful development company do not apply to CO, only the downsides and negatives like having to surrender resources and losing autonomy, and we need to seriously get over that.
Post edited by pion01 on

Comments

• kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Perhaps we just let Cryptic answer some of the questions before we start pouring sour milk all over everything again?

Maybe the answers are the same ole shuck-n-jive, and maybe it's something to look forward to and be excited about.

Before we worry about Telepathy, power replaces, arua slot and the like we need to hear about the overall health and future direction of the gaje, which I am hoping we will get in Crypitc's answers.

After we get those answers everyone is free to start freaking out again.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

This way, if they actually DO follow through, and at least answer us (even if it's all lies), we'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why are you dashing people's hopes.

I get that you and other old timers a re bitter, but isnt it a bit perverse how you guys try to shoot down thkse of us whom are still genuinely in love with Cryptics games?
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kharma23 wrote: »
    And when those answers (no matter how grand they are) come late are we required to be pacified with the promise of future communication.. and not actual communication.

Last meeting Cryptic promised took WEEKS after their announcement. So.. See you in July.

tl;dr - I'm mad and I want everyone to know it. I want to share my feverish anger with anyone who will take it.
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    And when those answers (no matter how grand they are) come late are we required to be pacified with the promise of future communication.. and not actual communication.

Last meeting Cryptic promised took WEEKS after their announcement. So.. See you in July.

tl;dr - I'm mad and I want everyone to know it. I want to share my feverish anger with anyone who will take it.

And that's fine. Everyone's more than a tad frustrated, but I'm willing to give Cryptic/PWE enough rope to hang themselves so to speak.

I want to see promises that are followed up on with communicatiion and concrete evidence of any promised development. I'm willing to wait a little longer to see what they say and how they follow up before tossing in the towel.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

What? Expect the worst and if it's better than that? Great!

How EXACTLY is that "dashing people's hopes"?
    I get that you and other old timers a re bitter, but isnt it a bit perverse how you guys try to shoot down those of us whom are still genuinely in love with Cryptics games?

Who exactly are we supposedly shooting down?

And what makes you so damned certain we don't like Cryptic's games?

If we truly didn't like them, WE WOULD NOT BE HERE.

If we had a MILD dislike of them, we'd be, at best, apathetic. So you likely wouldn't hear from us.

The plain fact is, a lot of these people who're, in your words, bitter, are in such a state for one reason.

They like the game and want to see it grow and improve.

There's been precious little of that.

So, please, tell us about how you're the only one who "truly love's Cryptic's games" again.

More levity is always welcome.
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And that's fine. Everyone's more than a tad frustrated, but I'm willing to give Cryptic/PWE enough rope to hang themselves so to speak.

The thing is, they've already had PLENTY of rope given to them.

All we've seen thus far is them taking it and giving themselves a David Carradine Special.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Once again...players complain about there being no communication...then complain when there is communication. Sorry Pion, you know I love you like a brother man, but that's what this thread will boil down to.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You guys are completely missing my point...

Perhaps we just let Cryptic answer some of the questions before we start pouring sour milk all over everything again?

Because I don't give a **** about their answers or promises or anything else, I care about making this game work, and hiding our heads in the sand or pacifying the public is not a solution. I want to skip the BS and start getting to work.

Maybe the answers are the same ole shuck-n-jive, and maybe it's something to look forward to and be excited about.

Neither of those things (shick-n-jive or excitement) means anything. The answers? They don't actually matter. They can say "we're doing great" and they can say "we're about to crash," neither of those answers, true or not, is improving this game. I want to improve this game.

Before we worry about Telepathy, power replaces, arua slot and the like we need to hear about the overall health and future direction of the gaje, which I am hoping we will get in Crypitc's answers.

That's exactly what I'm asking for. That's exactly what I asked for in the Ask Cryptic thread, and that's what I'm asking for from the Devs and the Players.

I'm tired of freakign out. I'm tired of the back and forth. I want an actual solution, not more placation. I'm asking everybody to skip all that **** and figure out what to do next.
    Expect no response and another dropped ball.

This way, if they actually DO follow through, and at least answer us (even if it's all lies), we'll be pleasantly surprised.

I don't want a dropped ball and don't really care about an answer, like I said above. I want to work towards a solution. I don't want theory or promises or hopes and dreams, I want a goal then a task relevant to, and leading to, the success of that goal.
    hocofaisan wrote: »

I get that you and other old timers a re bitter, but isnt it a bit perverse how you guys try to shoot down thkse of us whom are still genuinely in love with Cryptics games?

1) I'm doing no such thing. I don't care about your hopes and dreams, I want this game in the top 10 of all time, and if that means I have to treat you all poorly, I will do that. If that means I have to treat you all like kings, I will do that.

2) Being madly in love with Cryptic's games has nothing to do with success. I'm in love with Cryptic's games too, and I look forward to one day having the time to get into STO, and will definitely be getting into NWO even though I don't even like fantasy, and CO is my favorite of all, but my raging hardon for CO doesn't mean it's successful, and successful is what matters, not my, yours or anyone elses feelings, and I'm saying we need to put aside our wants, needs, and passions and figure out something that actually works, ideally with the CO teams help, because it's not coming from anywhere else, and the sooner we can accept that, the sooner we can do something about it.

I want to see promises that are followed up on with communicatiion and concrete evidence of any promised development. I'm willing to wait a little longer to see what they say and how they follow up before tossing in the towel.

I don't want them to hang themselves. I also don't want to wait another 3 years and be in this exact same spot or worse. For ****s sake, aren't you guys, devs and players alike, tired of watching something you love just constantly **** itself over and over again? Get beaten down over and over again?

Cuz I am.
    edited March 2013
    Once again...players complain about there being no communication...then complain when there is communication.

But I want communication, and I'm not saying to stop the communication, I'm just asking for 2 things

1) Relevant communication
    2) From the players as well as the devs.

I'm also not asking folks to not participate in the AC, by all means, go nuts, but I'm saying we need to try and focus on something. But asking for ponies and free cheetos with every C-store purchase is a waste of thread on the players behalf; TT has been doing a pretty damn good job lately and I don't want that to go to waste.
    Sorry Pion, you know I love you like a brother man, but that's what this thread will boil down to.

Maybe, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

edit to add:
    I think I'm wording things poorly (because I do that). What I'm saying is, instead of asking "will it get better," or assuming "it will get better," we start asking "how do we make it better" then start making it better. Let's get proactive or something.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Once again...players complain about there being no communication...then complain when there is communication. Sorry Pion, you know I love you like a brother man, but that's what this thread will boil down to.
    State of the Game
    In June 2012 It was "eluded" at the end of the State of the game that a hold review would be done (link broken).

State of the Game
    In August 2012 Brad Stokeman announced that Gentleman Crush had plans to "revitalize telepathy" those plans were then released to PTS.

Two "communications" that have lead to nothing. I don't dislike communication, but they have to do more than talk the talk to pacify my rage.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Two "communications" that have lead to nothing. I don't dislike communication, but they have to do more than talk the talk to pacify my rage.

I'm sure pacifying your rage is somewhere on Cryptic's to-do list. I guess you'll just have to wait and see.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think an Ask Cryptic is really good timing considering that this month is mostly Cryptic focusing on NWO beta. If things go smoothly on that end and we do get devs and resources put back into this game, then the Ask Cryptic just may be the best start.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There is a new Ask Cryptic thread.
    Yay!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There is a new Ask Cryptic thread.

This^ was the first thing that crossed my mind when I first read this thread, but with a question mark and a confused smily at the end. Its been so freaking long since I even thought of checking the Super News section I totally missed us getting the first Ask Cryptic in like... how long has it been, half a year? :confused:

Also...
    pion01 wrote: »
    I'm tired of freakign out. I'm tired of the back and forth. I want an actual solution, not more placation. I'm asking everybody to skip all that **** and figure out what to do next.

/Signed

State of the game

State of the game

State of the game

State of the game

State of the game

Coming soon in 3D!
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited March 2013

This made me lawl so much:biggrin:
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I'm actually not expecting anything to be done or followed up on until AFTER NWO is launched.

Until then I'm not expecting anything from them and nor am I going to take anything they say seriously.

/shrug

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
    edited March 2013
    So we got our answers.

Now what can we as a players and customer-base do, preferably in conjunction with the CO team, to improve COs profile and development?

How do we make it better?

Maybe do a Facebook Raffle for a Freeform slot? Maybe a Widow bike to the 1000th like?

Player made CO commercials?
  • gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm looking at the Ask Cryptic thread and most of those questions seem unexpected.

Level cap increase?

New power sets?

Power passes?

Given the recent activity by the CO team, I think folks are asking too much. Or rather, just wasting their questions when most of the answers are going to be some overly bureaucratic and vague version of "No" or more likely "we're looking into it" or... anybody remember that "wants" thing from like 2 years ago? Like that.

Anyway, given our wildest dreams, I don't see that thread being overly productive, and just being a sort of time delay for us to spend the next month with bated breath for answers that will be vague and unsatisfactory and will simply lead to another round of "See? look at all what Cryptic is working on!" followed by a slow and steady forum decline back to where we are now.

So I'm asking the players the same thing I'm asking the devs -

Can we cut the BS and get real for a second? Can we put aside our wonderful fantasy and self-delusion and, for once, try and focus on something practical?

I love this game, and I don't want it to die, but for me, its got very little left. I'm not even interested in the Bleak Harbinger crap at this point, and will probably only force myself to "play" it just so I don't "miss" anything. Anyway, I don't want it to die, and if that means we need to accept that its dying, can we just do that and try and figure something out? Kenpo's player based initiative is a great start IMO, but the most important thing is the question that started it.

What can we do?

So I'm saying, lets temper our expectations, stop wasting bandwidth on silly questions (no, Jay, we're not getting telepathy), stop wasting energy on silly endeavors (No, Cryptic, we don't want your "Soon?"s) and get down to some real business?

edit to add: we need to stop thinking about Cryptic and start looking at the CO team as a small indie group trying to produce something great. All the benefits of having a massive publisher or successful development company do not apply to CO, only the downsides and negatives like having to surrender resources and losing autonomy, and we need to seriously get over that.

Dunno I think the CO team should pull their fingers out their arse and do some work. They aint no indie team PW paid 50 MILLION for them. That sh*t aint indie.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    we need to stop thinking about Cryptic and start looking at the CO team as a small indie group trying to produce something great.....*snip*

But Pion, PWE/Cryptic-Studios have all the resources they would ever need to make Champions-Online what we all wish it could be. They are failing because they are utterly incapable - even to the point of seeing this as a problem in the first place - but utterly incapable of developing and then supporting multiple titles. The focus is just.not.there.
    There is no way on earth you can justify sixty devs on STO, a team on Neverwinter (which will had to of been substantial), devs on the secret in-development title - and simultaneously make valid excuses about not having the time or resources on the title in question and in-trouble.
    Champions-Online is a failure to launch, a failure to develop and grow properly because PWE/Cryptic haven't focused on the task and delivered. Simple as.
    To be honest, as much as I had hoped for the potential in this game with a promising IP such as the one bought from Hero Games - I can only have so much sympathy when all of Champions-Online's problems are entirely their own fault and stem from their incompetence in an executive-level decision not to invest in the title as much as they should of over the last couple of years.

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's a conspiracy!

... To give us all surprise birthday parties.