test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lts?

gogonowgogonow Posts: 3 Arc User
Hello everyone, I was wanting to get some views on this question.
I have been playing CO on and off for a couple years now (before and after on alert). I really enjoy coming back to the game because I can do pretty much anything and this game even though some people might agree is pretty easy and it is a real fun filler game imo.
I already have three FF slots and my question is the following:
Given the current state of CO, do you think that a LTS would be a good investment or should I stick to the FF slots?
A little more background on my playstyle, I love to play healers and supporters and I have build a couple real good healers in the past.
I would like to thank everyone for reading this and posting and for your time.
Post edited by gogonow on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Allow me to link you to this thread here that recently discussed your exact concerns. =)
  • gogonowgogonow Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Allow me to link you to this thread here that recently discussed your exact concerns. =)

Thank you for that. I will read it so no one else has to post here :D.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gogonow wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I was wanting to get some views on this question.
    I have been playing CO on and off for a couple years now (before and after on alert). I really enjoy coming back to the game because I can do pretty much anything and this game even though some people might agree is pretty easy and it is a real fun filler game imo.
    I already have three FF slots and my question is the following:
    Given the current state of CO, do you think that a LTS would be a good investment or should I stick to the FF slots?
    A little more background on my playstyle, I love to play healers and supporters and I have build a couple real good healers in the past.
    I would like to thank everyone for reading this and posting and for your time.

If you really enjoy the game and see yourself making a lot of characters the LTS is worth it for the extra character slots (with more every time you reach level cap) alone.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
    edited February 2013
    I made my decision with help thanks to enjoying the game thoroughly as a free silver with 2 level cap characters and in major part to other Lifetimers with experience who could answer my questions.

If you really love this game and you like what you have to see with its pure customization, then go for it!
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    With game cards on Amazon you can pay about $12 (including S&H) for 2 months of game time.

That's about half the regular cost of Gold membership, and it's been a stable pricepoint for at least a year (possibly longer). And that's only $2 more than the cost of the zen points you get.

My advice is that LTS is not worth it unless you have a HUGE amount of faith that the game is going to revive or stay open and enjoyable to you for a very long time.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • gogonowgogonow Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, I have always enjoyed the game on and off for the last couple of years. I see a lot of mixed feelings about the game surviving and the devs leaving or something like that and I sort of see it too but for me this is a great filler game and one I can always see myself coming back to everyone once and a while just because I feel like I can do pretty much anything I want. I subbed for a month and honestly the only thing I really liked was being able to change power colors.
    Again though, thank you to everyone for the responses, I guess I should play a bit today to see how I feel about it. :)
    edited February 2013
    If you are deeply concerned about diving in if anything, see what they do with the game after NWO comes out. It may be a while but it may just be worth waiting that much longer.
    edited February 2013
    gogonow wrote: »
    Well, I have always enjoyed the game on and off for the last couple of years. I see a lot of mixed feelings about the game surviving and the devs leaving or something like that and I sort of see it too but for me this is a great filler game and one I can always see myself coming back to everyone once and a while just because I feel like I can do pretty much anything I want. I subbed for a month and honestly the only thing I really liked was being able to change power colors.
    Again though, thank you to everyone for the responses, I guess I should play a bit today to see how I feel about it. :)

That's not enough of a reason to spend $300 IMO.
  • notburningchicknotburningchick Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you are deeply concerned about diving in if anything, see what they do with the game after NWO comes out. It may be a while but it may just be worth waiting that much longer.
    I'm just going to throw something out there ...

If I were working on NWO, a project that's been receiving positive press and has considerable support behind it, I'd see it as nothing short of a demotion to be moved onto a moribund title. I wouldn't care if the money's the same or my title improves.

I'd be lobbying, HARD, to be moved onto Cryptic's next, rumoured title.
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you really enjoy the game and see yourself making a lot of characters the LTS is worth it for the extra character slots (with more every time you reach level cap) alone.

That's a big part of the draw for me. (another big part is the "no more monthly payments" thing. Kinda wish WoW did that.)
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Being a LTS myself, i love it, i could NEVER have carried on playing this game if i were using AT's.

Its a whole new, and better game.

All i can say is, i 'hope' you get a years worth out of it. CO politics, market analysis and the recent 15% Zen bonus; would suggest the game is suffering from a lack of investment, with worries from me especially about a shutdown possibility in the not too distant future.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm kind of in a one-two punch of interest, and I wonder how common it is:

I don't enjoy the game enough to pay a subscription, but playing only archetypes removes even more fun so I end up not playing at all. So the chance of getting ANY money out of me... gone.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    All i can say is, i 'hope' you get a years worth out of it. CO politics, market analysis and the recent 15% Zen bonus; would suggest the game is suffering from a lack of investment, with worries from me especially about a shutdown possibility in the not too distant future.

Have have yet to understand why on earth you're equating a Zen sale to some dire sign about CO...

They have the 15% bonus sale all the time; I've taken advantage of them a few times. And Zen is usable in ALL PWE games...

So how does the Zen sale indicate that CO, specifically, is suffering from anything? That arguement is ridiculous, and you look moreso by repeating it...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
    edited February 2013
    There's a 15% Zen sale for STO too among their other games. Its a boost for NWO no doubt.
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There's a 15% Zen sale for STO too among their other games. Its a boost for NWO no doubt.

But that's what I'm saying. There's NOT a 15% Zen sale "for STO" or "for CO". It's just a PWE wide Zen sale. They probably advertised it on every forum in every game they have, and they have quite a few. And Zen can be transferred to ANY of their games once purchased....
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Most people saying "yes its worth it" fall into the trap of comparing lifetime to silver (i.e free) but fail to consider you get everthing that lifetime does with a gold subscription.

You can get time cards for $10 (as someone mentioned above) that means you have to continue to enjoy the game full time for 30 months for a lifetime to pay off. Thats even if the game is here then...

Also given you can play all the content in 1-2 months, maybe 3-6 if you are very casual, with gold you could play for a while, take a break (non paying) and then come back when its fresher again, stretching that 30 months pay off for lifetime even further, probably to 5 years or longer (playing every other month on average for example) and almost certainly beyond the lifetime the game has left!

Last, but by no means least, remember this game has had no new permenent story content since november 2011 !

With all that in mind i dont see how anyone can say a lifetime sub is better than gold, at least until they have a sale/drop the price significantly, even if its worth it then would be debateable.
    edited March 2013
    I can only say what i see.

I can see by the Q/Z market now that because of the 15% Zen bonus, the market has very much improved and can evidently see that people have bought many Z points...thus have the evidence to conclude that significant profit has been made over the 15% move.

Its really basic analysis. The Q/Z Market doesnt give me the exact amount of profit numbers no, but i can at least gain a estimation of how well theyre doing...or how bad theyre doing by seeing how active or stale it is.
    edited March 2013
    Relax folks, the zen sale is not some harbinger of doom for CO. PWE has had these sales LONG before they acquired Cryptic and has had these sales multiple times in the years since they acquired Cryptic. Zen is used in all of their games.

There's plenty of stuff to doomsay CO about but a sale on a universal currency used in over a dozen games isn't one them.
    lokikin wrote: »
    But that's what I'm saying. There's NOT a 15% Zen sale "for STO" or "for CO". It's just a PWE wide Zen sale. They probably advertised it on every forum in every game they have, and they have quite a few. And Zen can be transferred to ANY of their games once purchased....

Yes, they advertised this everywhere. I and my son play/have played several of their games and I've received at least one email for every account I have with them for every game I've played.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've had my LTS for 1,295 days and have never regretted making that purchase. Hell, I still support the game through C-Store purchases if something on there catches my eye (or I need to do a retcon on a character that has no more vet retcons). I wish, though, that they didn't stop at 1000 for the Vet Rewards. I wouldn't mind a free retcon for all characters every 100 days after 1000. :biggrin:
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
    edited March 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a free retcon for all characters every 100 days after 1000. :biggrin:

I know right? I was waiting on this : <
    edited March 2013
    I wouldn't mind a free retcon for all characters every 100 days after 1000. :biggrin:

Stop filling me heart with hopes and dreams.
    edited March 2013
    I've had my LTS for 1,295 days and have never regretted making that purchase. Hell, I still support the game through C-Store purchases if something on there catches my eye (or I need to do a retcon on a character that has no more vet retcons). I wish, though, that they didn't stop at 1000 for the Vet Rewards. I wouldn't mind a free retcon for all characters every 100 days after 1000. :biggrin:

What would be awesome is if they did with CO's LTS what they do with STO's LTS - and give them all Veteran rewards immediately rather than having them wait like normal Golds to hit the 100, 200, 300, etc. milestones.
    edited March 2013
    What would be awesome is if they did with CO's LTS what they do with STO's LTS - and give them all Veteran rewards immediately rather than having them wait like normal Golds to hit the 100, 200, 300, etc. milestones.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this isn't implemented. I know several people that would jump all over the LTS if this were the case but they won't get a LTS right now because they are unsure the game will last long enough for them to even unlock all of the features it grants.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Until we know how things will be after NWO I can not tell you yes. LTS is alot of money. If this game has not had enough support to justify that much of an investment, but that is my opinion.

If you love the game, buy it. It really is that simple.

If your not sure, wait till NWO is out and if we get more devs that will come here and fix bugs and develope anything, then save your money and buy it then.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You can get playtime cards for $10 through Amazon - for now.

To the best of my knowledge, Cryptic no longer has those cards available; when current inventory is gone, they're gone. And when the inventory starts to get low, you can bet the price will go up.

For myself, when I can scrape $300 into a single pile that isn't claimed by one or another creditor (which looks like it may happen soon), I plan on going LTS because I really like playing this game, and that way I'll never have to pay another monthly sub fee again. :smile:

Now if only my roommate could get a lifetime sub on his EVE Online habit (not sure if they don't offer it, or if it's just really expensive)...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited March 2013

As a monthly subscriber since launch, all I can say is...

You bet!

I have no problem with someone getting the rewards for supporting the game.

Who adds more to the game, a Silver who has played for 500 days and bought nothing from the C/Z-store or a new player who just bought an LTS?

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
    edited March 2013
    For the life of me I can't figure out why this isn't implemented. I know several people that would jump all over the LTS if this were the case but they won't get a LTS right now because they are unsure the game will last long enough for them to even unlock all of the features it grants.
    As a monthly subscriber since launch, all I can say is...

You bet!

I have no problem with someone getting the rewards for supporting the game.

Who adds more to the game, a Silver who has played for 500 days and bought nothing from the C/Z-store or a new player who just bought an LTS?

Exactly my point. I mean, if/when I can get the money, I'll probably get one anyway, whether or not they do this, but still, it would be much more enjoyable.
  • heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lately, I'm of the opinion that if a game offers a LTS and it's one I'm interested in, I'll try to get it at the outset if possible. If not, I'll save up for it.

I have one to CO and TSW. I love playing both games for entirely different reasons and not having a monthly sub is awesome.

I only wish I had done so for STO...I'm not a trekkie...trekker...a huge fan of Star Trek, but I do enjoy playing. Enough that I"m considering getting a LTS to it very very soon.

jonsills wrote: »
    Now if only my roommate could get a lifetime sub on his EVE Online habit (not sure if they don't offer it, or if it's just really expensive)...

No lifetime available...however, if he can either grind/trade/pirate/cheat/steal his way into enough in game cash (isk) he can pay for his account using it.
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
  • cryptickalidorcryptickalidor Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I bought mine pre-launch and I had fun with it for a while, then took almost 2 years off. My GF started playing and wants one but I'm hesitant to let her throw her money away. Speaking as someone who has one I let her realize in the 4 months she's been playing she's pretty much done everything there is to do in the game. Hit all the zones, do the Lairs (remember those?) and of course daily Alert Grinds.

I told her there are new and better games on the horizon and although I bought mine with the hope that the game would expand and grow, it really hasn't, and I don't foresee her playing it for 3 more years to get her money's worth on it at this stage in the game's life.

So as a lifetime subscriber who has 'been there and done that' I'd say at this point in the game, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I bought mine pre-launch and I had fun with it for a while, then took almost 2 years off. My GF started playing and wants one but I'm hesitant to let her throw her money away. Speaking as someone who has one I let her realize in the 4 months she's been playing she's pretty much done everything there is to do in the game. Hit all the zones, do the Lairs (remember those?) and of course daily Alert Grinds.

I told her there are new and better games on the horizon and although I bought mine with the hope that the game would expand and grow, it really hasn't, and I don't foresee her playing it for 3 more years to get her money's worth on it at this stage in the game's life.

So as a lifetime subscriber who has 'been there and done that' I'd say at this point in the game, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

That is why i have problems saying yes, go for it. I am hesitant due to the history of this game.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited March 2013
    No.

This game in its present state is barely worth subscribing and certainly not worth spending that much on LTS.

Not only it's obvious that no improvement will be made with CO.

It also starts to be obvious that this game will not last for long.

There is a big chance that any LTS bought now will not even pay for itself.

Stick to subscription or play as a silver.