test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's in a name?

zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
There are five things that interest me in playing a character: effectiveness, theme, costume, power appearance/coolness, name.

Effectiveness
If the character is just bad at defeating foes or doing what I want, not going to have a fun time. Doesn't have to be the most min-maxed or anything, just... not suck.
This can be tricky with Archetypes, though Become devices help somewhat.

Theme
There needs to be some cool concept that brings the character together, though this can cause headaches when the concept is hard to do in the game. For example, I had a water-themed character that worked well with some of the newer abilities in freeform (wind, earth quicksand ability, as well as metallic blue ooze travel).

It's harder (and, IMO, less fun) to do creative themes in Archetypes, but oh well.
Some themes just fail for a theme purist -- I tried to do Doc Wormwood, a CoX transplant with a 'filled with radiation' theme. Where things broke down is that, in strict CO game terms, 'radiation' = particle damage, possibly with toxic/fire side effects.
But the only particle damage is in Power Armor, and eyeblasts/chest beams didn't really fit the concept. I tried green fire and toxic attacks, which look awesome, but... I kept being bugged by the lack of mesh with the game 'truths' (I was also annoyed that electric passive was the only passive that protects against particle damage).

So I remade him as some gonzo 'uber aoe' guy (epidemic + flashfire + sigils of primal form + other stuff I forget), which made him hugely effective. And then lost interest.

Costume
This one is a no-brainer. If my character doesn't look really neat to me, I lose interest.

Power appearance/coolness
Related to costume and theme, powers that have cool effects or appearance intrigue me. Things like ebon rift, summon shadows, and orbital cannon? WOO!
A lot of the weapon abilities don't thrill me because I find the weapon models clunky and the damage application ... dull. Blam blam blam. Meh.

And, finally...
Name
The topic of the thread!
What ties all of the above together and makes me keen on playing a character is a name. Some name that just makes me go 'HA!'

Examples:
Giant growth, miniaturizing drive + reciprocating gizmo, super magnifier Fungus-themed guy?
MYCOLOSSAL

Power armor, vaguely Robbie-the-robot looking?
GUNBOT DIPLOMACY

Radiation superhero defeating enemies with NUCLEAR POWER
DOC WORMWOOD

Half-cthulhoid monstrosity using arcane power to defeat the minions of his Qliphotic father?
DOC CTHANDER

Hero from monster island, one of moreau's deer hybrid but with unusual fire based abilities?
HART BURN

Ok, what cool names do you have?
Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
Post edited by zahinder on

Comments

• kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Arctic Flare - An Ice/Fire character

Will Powers - A telekinetic telepath

Star Breaker - A might/energy projector

Blur - A speedster

Hot Flash and Cold Spell - Fire and Ice themed twins, respectively. Daughters of Arctic Flare

Red Spectrum - Light based hero, similar to a Green Lantern

Will N. Testament - A dual pistols vigilante

Molly Whop - A heavy weapons user.

Claire Voyant - A telepath

Aldous Commonwealth - A SWTOR themed character (name means Old Republic)

Ms. Demeanor Assault - Vigilante Cop

Gin Sue - Dual blade cyber ninja, named after Ginsu knives

Maiden America - American Maid and Captain American based hero.

And others.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've got an ice-powered American-themed hero named Cold Glory. I'm pretty sure I have a couple others but I can't think of em.
    biffsig.jpg
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Tumbleweeds - Cowboy Munitions with R3 R.A.D. sphere. He tumbles into battle. :biggrin:

Olive Drab - Ex-Army Archery.

ShellShock - Radiation/Force.

The Scream - Darkness(fear)

Ninja Worrier - Yes Worrier not warrior. He has a phobia about ninjas. Thus he will randomly spin with dual blades to make sure no ninja is sneaking up on him.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sometimes the name comes first. My newest toon, for instance, FastForward - his gimmick is Blazing Speed. In that case, his powerset was secondary (he's an Unleashed right now, but I'm considering going Gold and changing him to a martial artist, assuming One Hundred Hands has a good high-speed-looking animation).

Sometimes, the name derives from the overall effect I was going for - a magic-user using the Zombie set, and as many Takofanes bits as I could unlock. In this case, that led to Penitent, who was once a slave of Takofanes the Undying, managed to free himself during the last Blood Moon, and now seeks to atone for his centuries of sins under his former dark master.

And sometimes the concept and name evolve together. I got the DJ Madbot helmet during the 2nd Anniversary, found that one of its options was this goofy metal grin, and began to grow the concept of a security droid constructed by a company that had formerly dealt in children's toys. Thus, Happifun Security System X-4, using PA powers (and thanks again for the Invincible AT, guys!) and a vaguely silly robotic appearance.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Millonaire Minotaur? Cashcow
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    matixzon wrote: »
    Millonaire Minotaur? Cashcow

That's HYSTERICAL. Hee.

(In the concept box, I had fun trying to make a 'D&D wizard', using a few summons, pyro blades, web grenade (Web spell!), and bindings of aratron (Hold Person).)

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My characters' names come from my dreams.

Alyssa Q'Uzixola is my main protagonist. A strong female sorceress character, and a reluctant hero.

9205b7fea95fc450e41c529b21612b801361665195.jpg

Her last name is pronounced "Queue-Uzi-Ex-O-La", say it quickly and you'll see how it blends. It's her family name, shared by her half-ister Kali Q'Uzixola who became global conqueror on the scale of Ghengis Khan or Alexander the Great. They have the same father and different mothers.

Alyssa is actually a bastard child from an affair King James Q'Uzixola had with the woman truly loved but was forbidden to be with, Sarah O'Shea. Sarah was a mage herself, and thus it was illegal for her to marry or have children during this time. When Kali's mother (Olivia) found out about the pregnancy, she was manipulated by William O'Shea (Sarah's abusive, perverted, and greedy father & leader of the Senate) into murdering James. Sarah fled to a distant continent, Olivia was burned at the stake, Kali was tutored, and the plutocracy controlled senate took over power of the nation, all with the "holy" Church's blessing...

Needless to say, Kali, being a prodigy in magic and with a burning desire for revenge eventually led a bloody revolution to overthrow the aristocracy and annihilate anything associated with the Church. Among her own people, she was seen as a reformer and great hero who stomped out corruption and created a rising middle class. As she conquered, she offered citizenship to slaves who served in the military, built road, and created a rapid industrialization (including AC electric power). But sadly Kali's desire for vengeance and control over the world was insatiable, she became a brutal dictator to any who opposed her rule as Empress. Many towns and cities that didn't surrendered were slaughtered to the last child, their history and culture erased forcefully.

Alyssa eventually lead a rebellion against Kali's empire. Eventually Alyssa's courage and ideals regarding freedom, equal justice, and liberty united the entire globe into a single nation-state, the Federation of Xzianthia. When Alyssa returned a millennium later from stasis (she had been presumed dead in a final showdown duel with Kali, long story...), she was surprised to see she had become a mythological legend, something like Muhammad of is in our world to Muslims. And of course when she returned, there was no small amount of drama to be had, extreme doubts from many people that she was really Alyssa. It was the benevolent demon Gorothok that ultimate convinced the majority of people that she was really back (and that the Nha Si'Marat were coming at last).

There is more of this on the unfinished PRIMUS page of mine if you're curious:
    http://primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Alyssa_Q%27Uzixola

That said I could say what's in my own username...

agent x5 = Agent of Xzianthia #5

The x5 logo is on almost every account I have, from my XSFx5 YouTube account to my Steam account. It's universally identifiable as being me, Neil, like a stamp or seal I can put on things I do in virtual space.

It's kind of like a 007 thing, it's a pseudo-military designation. The "agents" are the adventuring companions of Alyssa.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    assuming One Hundred Hands has a good high-speed-looking animation).

It does, it's awsome, and powerful.
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    no idea what could be done with it, but I did have a vague idea of combining the Bear head from the Beast Heads costume set with the bear-head shoulderpads from the Viking Warrior costume set to create what I'm currently referring to as Three Bears Man...
    edited February 2013
    no idea what could be done with it, but I did have a vague idea of combining the Bear head from the Beast Heads costume set with the bear-head shoulderpads from the Viking Warrior costume set to create what I'm currently referring to as Three Bears Man...

Sounds like a Native American name.

Hmm....

I would give him room on a crowded street.

:smile:

edited February 2013
    Sounds like a Native American name.

Hmm....

I would give him room on a crowded street.

My only disappointment is there's no bear-head hood along the same lines as the bull-skull headwear, only an actual bear head.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Autistic Psychologist/Psychiatrist - Kontrol
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Cat-eared kid that pulls pranks and causes bad luck wherever she goes.
    Miss Behavin

Little witch.
    Minnie Magus

Detective with a magic bracelet and vicious hair.
    Giselle Waves

A spehss mahreen that deals with dental hygiene more than he does driving a chainsword into the nearest void creature's abdomen.
    Adeptus Orthodontus
  • stmothstmoth Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Blond bombshell that has superhuman strength and likes to snap necks

Heartbreaker

The son of a former super-villain struggling to redeem his family name, who can control the wind

Red Zephyr

A technopath who caused his family to be brutally murdered, and is haunted by his past mistakes as he fights crime

Techroid

A golden age astronaut who disappeared for 60 years, and reappeared with solar energies

Sunspot

• clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    A deaf and mute man's mutation kicks in, regrowing his vocal chords. He likes the color red, and designs a costume around just that. "Crimson Cacophony".

Joke toon only: Mild mannered scientist researching a way to enhance food production to help feed starving masses has his experiment backfire on him. Now, when he gets a certain craving for a certain type of food...he transforms into the unstoppable savage known as "The Inedible Bulk".

A lonely catgirl decides to build her own friends and creates a miniature army to accompany her everywhere. "Kitten Kaboodle".

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • emeraldcrosshairemeraldcrosshair Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kira Synth - An electro-rock artist with the ability to control sound and peoples minds through music.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some of my own heroes:

Third Rail, a man whose latent powers were triggered in an accident with a subway electrical system. He has electricity and super speed.

Doctor Bananas, a wacky scientist and inventor that uses gadgets that are painted yellow.

Strange Magic, a mystical hero that loves Electric Light Orchestra.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here are some of mine.
    Apocalypse Cow- A man possessed by a wrathful creature of supernatural bovine vengeance.

Rock Mobster- A reformed gangster turned into living stone by a mysterious substance.

Reckless- A young teenager who still can't control his super-strength and super-speed.

Rot Iron- An inventor who tried to use his cutting-edge nanotech power armor to save his life after he got wounded. Yeahhhhh, that didn't quite work out like he planned and he's currently kind of zombified.

others I've made in the past but don't have currently include

Brawn Doe- The Crime Mutilator! He's got electrolytes! he's also an X-treeeeme 90's deer manimal with blade hands.

and

Falcon Paunch- an overweight bird-themed hero who I created solely to make a horrible Captain Falcon pun.
  • matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Crystalline Powers and a Famous Singer? That one pop gem
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bird-themed Power Armor hero: Electrum Eagle

Steampunk English gentleman boxer (might/gadget): Sebastian Socketwrench

Cybernetically augmented giant anaconda (bestial/PA): Mechanaconda

Cybernetic Artificial Lifeform Intended for Galactic Assassination (laser sword): C.A.L.I.G.A. muahahaha

EXTREEEME 90s firepower (munitions/gadget): Battalion

Mutant shark gambler that can't swim; wears little arm floaties (bestial/might): Pool Shark

Stronghold guard turned superhero (PA/electric): Supermax
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • vizzonevizzone Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nurseferatu
    Psychic doctor bitten by a vampire. She uses mind control to 'convince' people to love her despite her horrifying appearance

Isosceles the Archangle
    Geometry worshiping cultist/otherworldly being who uses sigils/runes.

Slaughtermelon
    A militant fruit who uses poisonous powers to attack vegetarians

Emma the Emo Emu
    Manimal teenager with darkness powers

Taze the Rainbow
    Flamboyant professional decoy with electrical powers and a love of throwing glitter in villains' faces

Reggae Mortis
    Zombie musician brought back from the dead, but released from service due to being perpetually high.

Bad puns are kind of my thing.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Locked deep within my Toon Vault on the Isle Of Misfit Heroes you will find (among others):

Alkie The Angry Drunken Clown

Uncle Icky, Americas' creepy uncle

Tom Thumbion, The Worlds Smallest Giant Lumberjack (half Tom Thumb and half Paul Bunion, get it?)

Boomorang Pendek, The Sumatran Mystery Ape and Vigilante

The Loch Ness Mobster, Boomorang Pendeks' Nemesis (The Undersea Underworld Underboss)

Professor A. Frumious Bandersnatch , the Dean of Mad Sciences at Miscatonic University

Zombie-T The Autopsied Alien

Intensive Care Bear and his arch Nemesis Dr. Tryhard (an equal helping of Nerd Points and Shame for recognising this particular comic reference. Here's a hint: I'm parodying a parody)

Krampus The Christmas Demon and his Evil Nemesis Frosty The Hitman

Uncle Jed-I Clampet and his Nemesis Darth Drisdale (I still hold out hope that someday I will be able to use the Foundry to design the CeEEEment Deathstar)

I created a character especially for the Distortion Acrobatics called Distortion Physics

The Deep Fried Twinkie (that Creamy Yellow Delcious B@#*%!d) was inspired by a line from Woody Harilson in Zombie Land

And so many, many more.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The two I get the most reactions from other folks for the names are:

Electri-Hick - electric Hick from the sticks.

and

Glamour Boy - Ex-glam rocker, turned superhero. With flamboyant pink costume.
    edited February 2013
    vizzone wrote: »

Bad puns are kind of my thing.

Sadly I am sooo jealous of your punning creativity.

Keep on good sir!

Edit:

I just saw jorifice1. We have a contest of punsters!

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd tell my character's story and origin for their names, but it would be better told in the Foundry.

lololohohol!

But seriously, a lot of the time I come up with a costume idea (sometimes the random buttons create results that aren't crap) I like and then name them as is the step process of making a character. A back story comes to me as I play the game.

As for my mains, they are characters I have created outside of the game for comic ideas. The character creator and power selection is just that good to replicate them in game.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here are a few of mine:

Prankenstein, risen from the dead scientist with a deadly sense of humour.

Ghettoblaster, a telekinesis powered (might/force) ex gang member.

Brainhertz, an ex PSI assassin whose brain was fried by a cybernetic enhancement suit, giving him electrical powers to support his ego blades.

Khanage, an extra-dimensional, tyrannical ruler accidentally summoned by DEMON to Earth, who seeks revenge on them, whilst secretly plotting to conquer the Earth.

Sergeant Steel, a WWII British prototype robot, out of mothballs and reprogrammed to fight crime.

Lone Star, a Texan gal equipped with a lightweight power armour capable of flying and projecting powerful force waves.

Pyro Mantis, an alien insectoid with fire powers.

Luc Garou, an ex Vibora Bay Cajun private eye, injured by a serial killer, which turned out to be a werewolf, or Loup Garou in French. Has various wolven pets and fights with his claws and bite. NB This concept preceded VB and was originally set in New Orleans.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Well, I did briefly have a renegade Devastator Manimal, based on the Stag, and inspired in part by the Red-and-Green Christmas Costume Contest, named Rudolph the Red-Nosed Paindeer...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited February 2013
    The two I get the most reactions from other folks for the names are:

Electri-Hick - electric Hick from the sticks.

Holy foosball that was you!?!? I remember running King of the Hill with you when it first came out!!

Anywho:

Thread Lock - a dreadlocked forumite with a huge ban-hammer and chains to lock down ne'er-do-wells.

Excessive - a young super strong teen with no self restraint, a big mouth, and disregard for authority.

Pion - originally controlled energy, was kinda lazy, but strong.
  • artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hmm, from my list of Characters:

The Parasite. A powerful mentalists' soul (Dr. Howard Douglas) trapped in a Ankh, worn by a buxom woman. When asked why not name yourself 'The Ankh,' Doc Douglas responded, 'Then all the villains would aim at the Ankh!'

Second Hand. A former sidekick to the missing Anti-Nuke Super-heroic Activist 4-Minute Man.

Impervious... I only mention him because most ask, 'What does it mean?' Sure, my favorite book to read as a kid was a dictionary, but impervious can't be that obscure... right?!
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not my character, but some I remember seeing (and memorable enough to, er, 'member):

Abrahulk Lincoln : Funniest Hulk clone ever. I can totally forgive the cloning. Tophat, Lincoln beard, BIG AND GREEN. Ha!

The Incredible Egg : White sphere head elongated a bit, looks just like an egg! Also had super magnifier, for some reason.

Size Queen : Androgynous character with, of course, super magnifier

I forget his name, but there was this one guy who looked like a giant eyeball. His torso was the eye, shoulders set up to look like an eyebrow, the arms and legs looks vaguely like veins or something.

• arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Texas Titan - Giant growth brick from Texas

Rambuck - Anthropomorphic deer with guns

Couch Potato - Out of shape lazy hero who dwells in Mom's basement unless he needs Cheetos

Ganglia Khan - a telekinetic warrior

Swamp Dragon - bestial based protector of the marshlands

Shark Knight - an ambassador from a group of crashed alien shark people who have taken refuge in the depths of the oceans.

Napalm Knight - Fire based armored tech

Armored Diller - An armored suit looking to repair the damage the villain Armadillo has done to the image of the nocturnal creature.

Pangean Tremblor - One of the remnants of a race of earthen creatures that ruled the world and literally held the world together before their fall.

Guano Loco - He manages to chew through the straps and "fights crime" when he escapes.

Havoc - A human infused with a galatic warrior "spirit" that seeks combat against worthy villains

JerkHacker - dupin' rares and gone to the Americans

Blood Falcon - Started out as a Blue Falcon homage to become a claw fighter avian themed crusader.

Ed da Bull - a basic brick in the form of a bull his special brother and nemesis is Special Ed Da Bull
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
    edited March 2013
    Name him the Tribearnal with a multiple personality where each head manifests one of the three personalities. Think Ettin of bears.
  • sundevil3sundevil3 Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Lorena Hobbit
    LorenaHobbit.jpg
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    one corny one i have been toying with making is a female munitions character named "Florence and the machine gun". not sure if the name will fit.

also was thinking of a fill-in-the-blanks joke character with a guy in all black with darkness powers and the rainbow flight travel power called "Sued by Dio"
    edited March 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    one corny one i have been toying with making is a female munitions character named "Florence and the machine gun". not sure if the name will fit.

also was thinking of a fill-in-the-blanks joke character with a guy in all black with darkness powers and the rainbow flight travel power called "Sued by Dio"

Dio's dead, man. :frown:
    edited March 2013
    Dio's dead, man. :frown:
    What, too soon?

edited March 2013
    pion01 wrote: »

Holy foosball that was you!?!? I remember running King of the Hill with you when it first came out!!

Yes I was doing that a lot at that time:biggrin: ZAP!

Because that was so fun, I also ran a variation of that build on Sea Hag who was notorious for a brief spell in tier 2 PvP lol.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sundevil3 wrote: »
    Lorena Hobbit
    LorenaHobbit.jpg

O.K., as a guy of the male gender just let me say:
    Ouch! Ouch, Ouch, Ouch, Ouch!
    Bad Toon!
    Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad Toon!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited March 2013
    I actually didn't get Lorena Hobbit until just now. haha, ouch indeed.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Mine are pretty conventional compared to some.

Thundrax: Might/Electric hybrid, a famous Canadian veteran superhero, philanthropist and businessman; he once retired to a career in Canadian politics, but returned to superheroing when Dr. Destroyer made his comeback.

Cord: Electric//Might (more of a tank build): Murdered college student whose consciousness was stuffed into a cloned body constructed from Thundrax and another superhero.. Now retired from heroing and working as an artist.

Kann Karoth: TK. One of the survivors of the Ta'shar-n race, a world destroyed by the cosmic overlord Valak, now a Star*Guard in training.

Zorasto: Fire/Darkness/Ebon. Demon lord and all-round bad guy, a mover and shaker trying to climb the ladder of Hell's hierarchy.

Gravitas: Gadgeteer/Force. A snarky British scientist, expert in gravitics.

Chaplain America: Marrial arts. Super speedster street preacher, based in Westside.

The Laird: Single blade/Might. Clan leader from an extradimensional realm based on popular and idealized misconceptions of medieval Scotland.

Brett Johnson: Wind. Sleazy WCOC reporter who's trying to supplant Rob Mahogany while protecting the fact that he's secretly a mutant.

Sandpiper: Munitions. Tough as nails UNTIL internal affairs division special investigator, not a big fan of supers.

A'lu: Celestial. Solemnid space captain hiding on earth in fear of the Hzeel.

The Reckoning: Dual-blades. MCPD university student with greatly heightened reflexes and skill retention, working for a dying criminology professor as part of his vigilante project.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Then we have mine,
    Grin and Bear it- a bear species of bogans.
    Smudge- mutated cougar- bestial/munitions- named for her colouring and the effect on opponents.
    Patience- goth with a large bladed staff and little patience
    Skeeter- dragonfly winged archer
    White Lady- a baen shidhe- darkness/infernal
    Angelica the rising demon- healer
    Christmas Rose( black hellebore)- her sister- the angel with a safety rope-scourge
    bright avenger- becasue I HATE all those grey/black nighthawk types- she is rainbowed from red hair to purple boots.
    The Smurfer Dude- blue skin/blonde hair- energy slide- wind/force
    Leafchaser- wolfwere puppy- pet master plus puppy powers
    Quicken(the dead)- cursed by a mummy still going strong 3 centuries later- gadgeteer
    Anathema the blood elf (Earthdawn not WOW)- only good at destruction- swords plus darkness.
    Chance- white tiger cub, daughter of Snowball. used in a demon summoning ritual which left them both in the same body. - scourge/celestial.
    Mist of the sea- elf with a bow and a rifle and a rocket launcher and an orbital cannon.
    Hope- afrit- wind/fire/earth powers- social comment- the only hope is for a quick death
    Snow Job- hit person specializing in small yappy dogs- armoured ice/gun bunny(tail and ears)
    Spook- part time alive- mentalist- literally the ghost in the machine especially when she gets bored

The escaped lab animals- who all have the lab Tech who named them as a nemesis
    Snowball- a red tabby- electric.
    Kittykaboomboom- red tabby, fire- not thick as 2 planks- lumberyard
    Kitten kaboomboom- purple tabby- scourge.
    Dinky puppy- small but still a problem- gadgeteer
    Dark Puppy- black- darkness powers- dark aura
    Smoky- grey tabby- radiant/mentalist- support
    Scruffy- really scruffy looking grey- bestial
    itty bitty kitty- runt of the litter - ego blades plus cloak of the planes- tries claws, then small sword, then big sword, which actually about 3 times her size.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Here are my chars. Or at least, those who have witty names. :biggrin:

Makina - Gadgeteer girl with a bionic arm.
    Saurex - Shapeshifting dinosaur hybrid, inspirde by an obscure Marvel character named Rex.
    Northpool - Parody of a totally not obscure Marvel character! Uses Ice and Munitions.
    Bloodshadow - Demonic ninja and 90's antihero. The closest (serious) thing I ever produced to a "blackredder".
    Overgrowth - Sentient alien parasite plant. Inspired by Marvel's Symbiotes.
    Trance - Otaku, cosplayer, lucid dreamer and telepath. Her main power is to project her weird imagination into the minds of others.
    Hallucigenia - Flexible alien girl with hydrokinetic (i.e. ranged Telekinesis) powers. Inspired by this creature.
    Molten - Fire demon bound in an iron golem body.
    Ger-Man - Exactly what it says on the tin! Ger (spear) not included.
    Captain Star - Patriotic energy projector. Captain is actually his military rank, and Star his last name.
    Geistesblitz - Electrokinetic Austrian villain.
    Turret - Cute little robot with MASSIVE firepower.
    Runaway - Street urchin with magical powers, who takes a... more tactical approach on crimefighting. Inspired by DC's Gypsie.
    Omen - Sefl-proclaimed instrument of divine judgement. Uses Celestial and Darkness powers. Inspired by a series of songs.
    Twilight Paladin - Stealthy warrior monk, and also a rather unintentional Batman homage...
    Miasma - Vigilantess with a foundness of gas weapons. Inspired by Shadow from the Freedom Force games.

Unused characters:

A Million Bugs - Hive mind with a body made of insects. Inspired by Oogie Boogie.
    Banefire - User of Fire and Infernal powers.
    Boomeranger - IC inspired by Super Sentai. Fights with Martial Arts and boomerangs.
    Count Discola - Flamboyant vamprie from the 70's. He just doesn't get what's wrong with sparkling.
    Cyclotron - Wind-powered robot with Wind powers. Perpetuum mobile!
    Dargon the Red - Lemurian rebel "hero", named after a typo in the name of a certain costume piece.
    Electrocutie alias Sugar Shock - Electric speedster.
    Fingers - Uses a weapon in the shape of a foam finger. Beware his Power Poke!
    Inject - Insectoid-looking power armor with toxic melee attacks.
    Obsidion - Earth tank, inspired by Minecraft of all things.
    Prismatrix - Former CoX villainess who can "hack reality" to create wireframe-looking crystal structures.
    Scarlette - Scarred swordswoman on a quest for revenge.
    Snowstalker - Stealthy sabertooth wolverine Manimal with Ice powers. Inspired by The Future Is Wild.
    Talon Girl - User of a lightweight version of the Black Talon armor. Switches to the regular version when needed.
    The Mighty Tora - Comically vain tiger Manimal. Uses Fighting Claws.
    Trythorn - Gadgeteer whose main weapon is (or would be) an electric trident.
    Viblade - Uses innate power of supersonic vibration to turn regular blades into vibro weapons.
    edited March 2013
    Count Discola - Flamboyant vamprie from the 60's. He just doesn't get what's wrong with sparkling.

I know I'm being pedantic and he is an used character, but if you meant to refer to the disco era, that was in the 70's. Characterized by polyester leisure suits, gold chains and platform shoes.

Please, I don't want to feel more ancient than the Old One I already am.

:biggrin:

edited March 2013
    I know I'm being pedantic and he is an used character, but if you meant to refer to the disco era, that was in the 70's. Characterized by polyester leisure suits, gold chains and platform shoes.

Please, I don't want to feel more ancient than the Old One I already am.

:biggrin:
    Thanks for making me think of Laffer, Larry Laffer. All Hail Leisure Suit Larry
  • tripphtripph Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A couple that I think are worthy of this thread:

Arctic Foxx: Attractively dressed female character with ice powers. (I did bundle her up in parka and snowpants when I took her to Canada, though.) Fire Flight changed to an icy blue color works very well as her travel power.

Dartique: Olympic archery champion who uses her inherited wealth to supply her equipment to fight crime.

Freezer Burn: Fire and Ice powered hero.

Ignition Point: Fire AT. No backstory yet, but boy, is he good at pulling aggro! Even when I don't really want to!

And my very first character, a sorcerer: Doctor Nu. (Deleted until I get good enough at the game to play a sorcerer and survive.)
    _____

I'm still fairly new. If I screwed up again, let me know.
  • supercollider75supercollider75 Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Angela Gabriel - Heals and Aura Support Build (once possessed by an angel)
    Lucky Penny - Ego Blade 'Unkillable' Tank
    April Blossom - Mothers Nature's Archer
    Supercollider - Sentient Program in a PA Suit (based on a Transformer character I created who was the Superconducting Supercollider that was to be built in Texas)
    Boomer - Force Knockback dialled to 11
    September Frost - Ice Tank Build
    FireStarFly - Fire DPS Build
    Lady Faye Valentia - Pet/Support/Sorcery (Tome Raider!)
    Y Ddraig Goch - Dragon (Fire/Bestial Growth Build)
    Deadeye - Zombie Sniper
    Sturmwulf - Electric/Wind DPS
    Serenity - Pacifist Healer
    Supertanker - PFF PA Build
    Sandemain - Sandman-esque Manipulator Build
    Brendan Tear - Melee Claws DPS

Mustn't forget the build I'm working on:
    PSIdearm - Telekinetic DPS
    Captain Star - Patriotic energy projector. Captain is actually his military rank, and Star his last name.
    Similar in naming convention to my own Dr .Destiny (Randall W. Destiny, who got his PhD in Applied Metaphysics from the University of Michigan Millennium City). :smile:

• artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A joke name I had thought of, but never got the proper costume/model pieces for was TNA.

Professor Joan Fawn was a Grond Researcher who discovered that Grond had an extra send of nucleic acid ribbons, giving him essentially Trioxyribonucleic Acid. With sample in hand she was going to change the world, until her facility was attacked by VIPER. Injected with her own sample, she became a buxom She-Grond, who took the super-hero persona, TNA.
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
    edited March 2013
    I actually didn't get Lorena Hobbit until just now. haha, ouch indeed.

HAH!

Same. Like, just now. After seeing it about 10 times lol.
    edited March 2013
    Here's an idea...

Cannibal Paladin! He's so powerful he eats common criminals for breakfast - literally.