test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ideas for travel and costumes

shilarshilar Posts: 48 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Suggestions Box
First of for travel:

- comet flight: Similar to flight, not as maneuverable, but fast at full speed. Basically turns into a form of flying comet or star and moves, similar to what is done in Xanadu, in this video. Starts around 3:10

- separate travel powers from the rest of the powers. Allow us to switch to another travel power with minimal cost in character, instead of a nearly-full retcon just to change them.

Costumes:

- Extra parts: If Grond can have extra arms, why can't we? Also, would love to play a centaur or deer-taur/hind/dryad via extra legs, which is not possible in any of the fantasy MMOs (even Neverwinter).

- more tails: How bout deer or horse tails?

- Myth parts: Perhaps the ability to have something other than legs, like a snake tail. Also would love actually -look- like the genie (lower half gone and all) that you have as a become, or ghost, rather than having the costume.

- more parts available for the monster legs: I would think even monsters might have modesty.
Travel Power/Costume suggestions.

Example of Comet Flight: Here.
Post edited by shilar on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The problem with 4 arms, as it has been discussed to the death in the past, the 4 arm body is compleatly separate thing from the bodies we got in character creator. It has the unique powers/animations to it, same ones Grond, Desert 4 armed grondlings and PSI dudes with extra pair have. Few hits and rock throw.
    The thing with lower horse/snake body, it would need animationts to be made of all the poweranimations to it(the thing with gravity bikes why you can't use your own powers).
    They could probably perhaps maybe to do them, but it would take insane amount of work, even if they are even doable. Probably same reason why it's not in any of the fantasy games.

This is why we have Become genie, wolf, demon and stuff. Premade body with powers, no customising.

We have asked separate Travel Powers from rest. Not gonna happen.
    If you want to leave the travel power available for future changes, make it last pick everytime you get power, takes few resources to do so. So it's allways 1st when you need to change it.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shilar gets my addition:

- more tails: How bout deer or horse tails?

Clearly missing is bird (hawk, eagle, falcon, whatever).
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    The problem with 4 arms, as it has been discussed to the death in the past, the 4 arm body is compleatly separate thing from the bodies we got in character creator. It has the unique powers/animations to it, same ones Grond, Desert 4 armed grondlings and PSI dudes with extra pair have. Few hits and rock throw.

Then maybe it would give them more reason to enhance the powers. The animations however are already there.

The thing with lower horse/snake body, it would need animationts to be made of all the poweranimations to it(the thing with gravity bikes why you can't use your own powers).
    They could probably perhaps maybe to do them, but it would take insane amount of work, even if they are even doable. Probably same reason why it's not in any of the fantasy games.

Actually the reason fantasy MMOs don't do this is laziness (that is a quote from WoW). Centaurs have been done before as a PC character (albeit poorly) in one MMO, and Second Life has both snake, mer, and centaur lower halves. It doesn't have to happen like tomorrow however, I just say make it. The snake one might be a bit easier in this game.
    This is why we have Become genie, wolf, demon and stuff. Premade body with powers, no customising.

And they took the travel power from Become Vampire and added it to the travel power sets you can get. Why not have unlockables to get the same parts, ie the genie lower half.
    We have asked separate Travel Powers from rest. Not gonna happen.
    If you want to leave the travel power available for future changes, make it last pick everytime you get power, takes few resources to do so. So it's allways 1st when you need to change it.

Then that defeats the purpose of allowing for powering up outside the Powerhouse.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Here is another idea, a sonic-based powerset. Basically similar to force/wind, but with a different animation setup. Also some powers can disorient the baddies and make them fall.

• Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i always find it funny when people tell you that you can't have something in game that's already in game because it's not possible. It's like telling us that the coders in the game can't code something into it even though they already have. Or a painter can't let paint something similar to one he's already done.

Mutliple limbs as well as alternate limbs are all too possible, the problem is that they just don't want to do it. Either as an issue of time, money, or priority, the only reason they can't is because they don't want to.

Personally i'm all for allowing more things into the game, especially from things that are already in it. Like the viper vehicles as skins for the c-store ones, or multiple arms. New power sets would be a huge bonus as well like stretching powers, water or plant powers. I'd love to have vehicles travel powers with out the horrible vehicle system. More options for emanation points would be awesome, though i could see a lot of Mr freeze clones running around if they allowed weapons as points.

There's a lot of stuff that they can do and they just dont want to that would make this game even better.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Mutliple limbs as well as alternate limbs are all too possible, the problem is that they just don't want to do it. Either as an issue of time, money, or priority, the only reason they can't is because they don't want to.

It may be possible, but not as easy as you think. The Grondling body is not just a human body with two more arms attached, it's a whole different body made for NPC critters. You might just as well ask for the Cur body to be available for players.
    More options for emanation points would be awesome, though i could see a lot of Mr freeze clones running around if they allowed weapons as points.

Wow. Just wow. That's the single dumbest argument against more emanation points ever. :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It may be possible, but not as easy as you think. The Grondling body is not just a human body with two more arms attached, it's a whole different body made for NPC critters. You might just as well ask for the Cur body to be available for players.

Making the multi-limbed body is actually -made- easier because the code is in the game. And actually, it is a human body with an arm mod (I can do this in Poser and make humantaurs and conjoined people). And the Cur body is easily facimilated (with werewolf skin and beast stance), whereas there are no options for extra limbs or body parts. I was mentioning it because not one MMO still around has that ability, and CO can become the first.

BTW, what does everyone think of comet flight, sonic powers, and more options for clothing on the monster legs? Any other suggestions?

• Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I found out genie/chaos demon/wind elemental actually do have legs. But they are set to 100% transparency and replaced by particle effects and are in the gliding animation similar to when you first turn on jetpack. Really, all the pieces are there and can easily be made into an option, the only reason why the don't is because they don't want to make it an option.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shilar wrote: »
    Making the multi-limbed body is actually -made- easier because the code is in the game. And actually, it is a human body with an arm mod (I can do this in Poser and make humantaurs and conjoined people). And the Cur body is easily facimilated (with werewolf skin and beast stance), whereas there are no options for extra limbs or body parts. I was mentioning it because not one MMO still around has that ability, and CO can become the first.

The Cur body is a modified Wolf body. Just like the Grondling body, they are seperated from the standard human body and, which is a good reason for them not being playable, is that they cannot use many animations. You will notice that every NPC with a Grondling body has the same moves, because they don't have the animations for any other! And Wolves are even more limited.

Grondlings are basically animals, not four-armed humans, for that matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The Cur body is a modified Wolf body. Just like the Grondling body, they are seperated from the standard human body and, which is a good reason for them not being playable, is that they cannot use many animations. You will notice that every NPC with a Grondling body has the same moves, because they don't have the animations for any other! And Wolves are even more limited.

Grondlings are basically animals, not four-armed humans, for that matter.

The basic mechanics are there though (and the Cur is copyable into a PC form). The problem is only implementing the code into a PC character, whereas actually starting from scratch (significantly harder). Say for instance the genie... as stated the legs are there, but 100% transparent, and a few added effects. Same for the ghost. These aren't PC characters, but merely items. The Centaur and Naga models might be a lot harder to code (but worthwhile IMO) because they aren't in there, but the fact the code is already in the game for 4-armed characters means the hard part is already taken care of.

The other thing... only one MMO and very few RPGs used something not in the realm of "human" forms. An MMO that does use a model other than human for once might encourage players to come. I have no issues with your opinion, but one thing that stands Champions out is the originality of the character creator.

• Options
    chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Okay, say you get the genie or snake body...

How will you kick things?

This isn't a joke; how will you use attacks with kicking animations with a legless lower body? How will you sit with a centaur body? Which hand holds the weapons when you have four arms?

You have to take all the animations and abilities into account here.

I's not a case of being easy to do but they're lazy, it's a case of it being too much work to be worth the effort.

Sure, you could make a car with legs, but why bother when wheels work better and are easier to use?
  • Options
    tripphtripph Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Okay, say you get the genie or snake body...

How will you kick things?

This isn't a joke; how will you use attacks with kicking animations with a legless lower body? How will you sit with a centaur body? Which hand holds the weapons when you have four arms?

You have to take all the animations and abilities into account here.

I's not a case of being easy to do but they're lazy, it's a case of it being too much work to be worth the effort.

Sure, you could make a car with legs, but why bother when wheels work better and are easier to use?

Not only animations, but costumes, too. You'd need a four-armed version of every single upper body piece. And a non-human body shape would lock out a lot of the costume pieces.

"What do you mean my Thark can't have powered armor?!" "Why can't my Lamia have armor on her snake body?!" "My centaur's cape clips right through his horse body!"

The work involved to update all animations and costumes would make it a major update to the game. And as much as I'd like more character/costume options, I have to acknowledge there are higher priorities for that much work.
    _____

I'm still fairly new. If I screwed up again, let me know.
  • Options
    mog555mog555 Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Mm....... here goes my list.....

Costume:

More Bestial Heads: We have lion tail but no head, even bull sometime like goat

CyberBeast: We seems to only have dragon, but no other interesting parts. Like wolf or anything

Weapon models: Bow seems to be less in model along with Rocket and Sniper

TP going to be a while though.....................
  • Options
    beautfldssonancebeautfldssonance Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I want this stuff. I want to make my insect character more realistic and make a random spider character, maybe spider-themed power armor. I think being able to have invisible legs and putting an aura down there would be the easiest thing for them to add, and by extension, having a snake tail for legs etc. If I'm inhuman, I want to be inhuman dangit!

"There is a point beyond which there is no return. That point must be reached." - Kafka

[sigpic][/sigpic]
  • Options
    mettrekmettrek Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm a professional artist who has worked in game production doing concept art, character design, texturing and some 3D modeling/animation. I thought I'd throw my two-cents'-worth in to provide some perspective.

The animal (centaur/snake) bodies, four-armed bodies and other radical character design changes are certainly possible but given the way the extent content is designed it would require a four person team about a year to develop it all. This stuff does not happen in a vacuum and it requires a lot of different skills, design work, development work and testing to make it right. As we can see from people complaining about how existing animations work (or rather, don't work) we can see that to make it acceptable would take considerable time.

Adding an extra set of arms is a particular challenge if you want to existing range of clothing and body customization options, in addition to having those arms work with every existing power set. It was done on (as far as I know) two very specific mob types whose animations are highly scripted and never vary in terms of clothing design or powers used. The animations would have to be modified for every current power set, flight type, walk/run animation, emote, reaction animation and idle animation.

Additional limbs would also necessitate a reworking of virtually every torso/back costume piece as well as have additional assets created in the case of jackets, chest wear, integrated shoulders, at the very least. Additionally, the costume creator would need patching to add new areas and additional adjustment sliders which is another entire level of development and coding completely aside from asset development. Also to be considered is if those arms would actually do anything or merely be "cosmetic" in appearance. If they are to be part of melee/range powers then they need a whole new level of coding and animation scripting, clipping adjustment, anchor points, etc. Suffice to say that nearly every animation would need to be thoroughly reworked. If merely cosmetic then it would still need to have some significant animation adjustment to prevent clipping or just looking like they were pasted on. Not as much work but still a considerable amount of time involved.

New heads and tails would be completely feasible but simply subject to cost/benefit analysis of demand. If the number of players who want to play horses and deer are big enough then it could happen, possibly as part of a gold-reward program or eventual bestial costume pack. Again, it's just a matter of weighing the suggestions that are submitted through proper channels against the amount of time available to artists and developers.

As for lower body changes, such as new bestial legs, wispy genie parts, or snake parts it's another matter of design process, concept art, 3D modeling, asset development for textures, animation for all types of character movement and adjustment with existing clipping/anchoring points and run/walk/fly cycles. It's possible and doesn't require extensive coding in the character creator, but somewhat time/cost intensive from an art department standpoint depending on the amount of demand for it and the Zen cost.

None of these things are impossible and there are numerous ways to work around some of the inherent problems that adding four arms would create. But it comes down to the producers and developers looking at a realistic cost/benefit for the time required versus the potential amount of income for the significant time investment for creating so many new assets.

Given the current state of the game and the overwhelming demand for new mission/story content and the steady trickling of new/reworked costume parts I would think that entirely new body types that require many months of design and development are extremely unlikely. The basic cost of having a small team design and code it (not even considering the time to redevelop the costume assets) is probably not worth it. If I were in charge of the CO art team I would probably red-light such a project in favor of other more realistic and cost-effective projects. You don't have an unlimited number of artists and coders and if they are spending six to twelve months doing this then you aren't getting much of anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see four arms as a character option but if it didn't happen at launch or during a major expansion (which are much more highly budgeted and more development time allotted) then it's very unlikely to happen at this stage of the game. Unless there is a major influx of subscribers or another source of funding for a major update it just seems like it would be an unwise budgeting decision.
  • Options
    xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    there re options in game to get mostly-invisible lower legs, though the ways are different on male and female models. TGhey do show shin-down, so it takes a bit of fiddling to hide or minimize the feet, but i've seen it done well, and with the right set of auras, you can make a good genie-sort of look.

And with the headless options from holoforce or cosmic, and other known glitches in game, you can mimic a not-quite-there character fairly well. Add in a worm-dome to make it translucent and hey, bobs your uncle!

Oh and Rollerskate superspeed travel, with some cute spin or bounce when you hit space or stop :D totally needs to be a thing. :D

• Options
    sannia1sannia1 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Broom flight
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Bird tails exist in game--at least the one from the Feather Armor set.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.