test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Unaffiliated" Power Set

dynamechdynamech Posts: 111 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Suggestions Box
Not a true power set, but they should implement an "Unaffiliated" power set which can have in it powers that don't fit neatly into other categories and/or do not have enough homogenization to stand on their own as a set.

This set, which should also be available to Silvers for their optional power pics, can serve as a test-bed for popularity of powers in game. For example, adding a single plant or sonic power in here, which players can decide to pick up and test out might be nice, or adding a possible new spin on an older power (like an arm-emission flamethrower similar to fiery breath.)

If you see a lot of people picking, say, the new sonic scream or what-have-you, you have a clear view of people who may like the power and maybe pay for an entire set of something.

Every month, you could feature a power picked from the forums and (mostly) developed, and player response would be a key in determining if said power really was marketable.

I know we have a test server to test things out, and maybe this would be a better idea there, but I think this idea has merit overall.
Post edited by dynamech on

Comments

• Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't think that would be necessary. Every power fits into a set somehow, for better or worse. Like the vigilante gear and the rayguns that were just shoved into Gadgeteering.
  • Options
    dynamechdynamech Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    One of the reasons I suggest something like "unaffiliated" is for powers like "Sonic," that everyone seems to want, but would have relatively limited use and/or use that would closely mimic already existing powers. The most common use of a "Sonic" power in most Superheroic fiction is a mouth-based blast that usually affects a cone area. It is rare for sonic powers to have other applications. Those that do already mimic, say, force field (sonic reverberations that disrupt mechanical force) or telepathy (hypersonics that force people to act or react in unusual ways.)

One of the things I really like about Champions is that it is really customizable. I think spending resources to copy-paste moves with a different damage effect is a relative waste of resources; I'd rather they spend the time creating a single good power with unique animations, etc. which can then be slotted into existing power trees which already simulate the other effects.

YMMV of course.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dynamech wrote: »
    One of the reasons I suggest something like "unaffiliated" is for powers like "Sonic," that everyone seems to want, but would have relatively limited use and/or use that would closely mimic already existing powers.

Well, Sonic is rather easy: Put "super voice powers" into Bestial and sonic guns into Gadgeteering.
  • Options
    stoopidmestoopidme Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think gadgeteering could also do with a jetpack lunge (maybe PA instead) and a full version of the steelhead flamethrower.

Brick_McDuggins in game.